Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I subscribed to this HBONOW thing for Game of Thrones and I'm going to cancel as soon as the season's over. Help me maximize the value of this thing: what else should I watch while I have the chance, TV/movie-wise? I already have the latest few seasons of Veep lined up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I subscribed to this HBONOW thing for Game of Thrones and I'm going to cancel as soon as the season's over. Help me maximize the value of this thing: what else should I watch while I have the chance, TV/movie-wise? I already have the latest few seasons of Veep lined up.

What have you already seen? There is a daunting amount of good stuff on there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've seen mainly the big prestige series (Wire, Sopranos, Carnivale, Rome, Generation Kill, Newsroom). I'll probably take a look at Deadwood since I know that is well-loved. Treme I haven't seen but I've heard more mixed things about that. I'd be especially interested to hear if any of the HBO Latino series are actually any good

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'd give Enlightened a shot, it's great and has half-hour episodes so it's easy to burn through. Silicon Valley is broad but decent. Lucky Louie is an interesting failure. Behind the Candelabra is definitely worth a watch, too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've seen mainly the big prestige series (Wire, Sopranos, Carnivale, Rome, Generation Kill, Newsroom). I'll probably take a look at Deadwood since I know that is well-loved. Treme I haven't seen but I've heard more mixed things about that. I'd be especially interested to hear if any of the HBO Latino series are actually any good
I'm halfway through True Detective and it's amazing so far. Only eight episodes too.

If you're into WWII stuff, Band of Brothers and The Pacific are only ten episodes each.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Treme is really good if you liked the Wire. It's a little less collar-grabbing in its skewering of institutions, but the slow burn is fantastic. After the first season I was down to watch another ten seasons of these people, just living their lives and doing their thing.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Runaway Train

Seriously. Watch this film.

This really was a hidden gem. A dozen times I felt like I was about to roll my eyes big time, but it doesn't ever really give in. Like Ebert mentioned, the final shot is really striking.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Runaway Train is definitely worth a watch. I watched it Monday, and as soon as it finished I dug out my Sorcerer dvd and made it a double feature. It was a good day.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Holy poo poo, Charlie Victor Romeo is bad. Like "babby's first acting class"-level bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should watch Deadwood, and there are no mixed things to say about Treme. It is just great TV if you like the way David Simon writes. Also Flight of Concords, East Bound and Down, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley, Bored to Death, and pretty much 90% of all HBO shows are well worth watching.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oz is a good show.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Canal really was pretty decent. I wonder why they didn't talk more about the actual ghost story though. I think it is because none of it is actually real. Or at least most of it isn't. But then how do you explain the ending?

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

Holy poo poo, Charlie Victor Romeo is bad. Like "babby's first acting class"-level bad.

The acting is pretty spotty, but I honestly still found the whole thing enthralling.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That Works posted:

Romancing the Stone is pretty fun and held up fairly well for being an earlier 80's movie.

Jewel of the Nile is the sequel, if anyone is interested.

I know these things because my mom made me watch them with her at the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JohnSherman posted:

CVR loving owns.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you liked the movie Seven, you will adore True Detective.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

blood_dot_biz posted:

The acting is pretty spotty, but I honestly still found the whole thing enthralling.

Yeah I really liked it but mainly because I'm really interested in aviation safety, crisis management and all that.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I really liked it because flying is loving horrifying so I didn't exactly notice the acting.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

nate fisher posted:

You should watch Deadwood, and there are no mixed things to say about Treme. It is just great TV if you like the way David Simon writes. Also Flight of Concords, East Bound and Down, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley, Bored to Death, and pretty much 90% of all HBO shows are well worth watching.

yes, loving watch Deadwood, you cocksucker.

On the subject of HBO is Carnivale worth watching? It sounds up my alley but I hear it ends on a cliffhanger and I don't want to invest my time in a show that doesn't end with any kind of resolution (yes, I know it was cancelled, but still)

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I'm going to make some popcorn and I'm only about 30 minutes in but Election is fan loving tastic so far. Thanks to whoever recommended it earlier

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

Sums up everything wonderful about Deadwood and why everyones loves Al Swearengen.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How did Paul Anderson make Event Horizon it starts off with his name in the credits making a whoosh sound. it ends with a question mark.
It's enjoyable, atmospheric and entertaining and I want to give as much credit as possible to the cinematography but PA still has his hand in a not bad movie.
How?

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Junkie Disease posted:

How did Paul Anderson make Event Horizon it starts off with his name in the credits making a whoosh sound. it ends with a question mark.
It's enjoyable, atmospheric and entertaining and I want to give as much credit as possible to the cinematography but PA still has his hand in a not bad movie.
How?

I love a good Paul Initial Anderson joke, its a juxtaposition that never gets tired. I watched Event Horizon for the first time last night and even though I know which Paul Initial Anderson directed it I still think it stands out in his career. The ideas behind the film are so good and simply seeing someone try to execute them with that kind of budget is great, even if the result is a sloppy failure. I don't think i've seen that sort of imagination at play in his efforts for a while, though I also havn't seen his last few. I really hope someone remakes this one day, maybe as a Bloodborne sequel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

How?

Paul W.S. Anderson is actually low-key a pretty awesome director. Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, and Soldier are all really goddamn good movies, his Resident Evils are all incredibly fun (it's seriously night and day looking at Apocalypse, which wasn't him, vs. Afterlife, which was), Death Race kicks rear end, and I've come around on AVP since it came out. I still need to see Shopping, I've heard nothing but good about it.

e: "Sick and tired of having to explain the significance of the raining frogs in Magnolia (1999), he added the initials W.S. to his name to avoid confusion with indie filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson. Unfortunately, the modified name is too similar to another celebrated auteur, Wes Anderson, and Paul is constantly fielding questions about what it's like to work with Bill Murray." :lol:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 23, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

Sums up everything wonderful about Deadwood and why everyones loves Al Swearengen.

He didn't say cocksucker once during this video, so I think you posted the wrong one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pope Guilty posted:

If you liked the movie Seven, you will adore True Detective.

I'm from around the area True Detective was filmed and it was probably the 1st Louisiana themed show on cable in years that didn't make me cringe constantly and have to explain to people how bullshit it was.

Fictional plot elements aside, the accents, scenery and all the extras were very well cast and the entire show was a big wave of nostalgia for someone who grew up there during the 80's and 90's. Anyway, very solid and strange mystery series. One of the more interesting things I've watched in a few years.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Viginti posted:

I love a good Paul Initial Anderson joke, its a juxtaposition that never gets tired. I watched Event Horizon for the first time last night and even though I know which Paul Initial Anderson directed it I still think it stands out in his career. The ideas behind the film are so good and simply seeing someone try to execute them with that kind of budget is great, even if the result is a sloppy failure. I don't think i've seen that sort of imagination at play in his efforts for a while, though I also havn't seen his last few. I really hope someone remakes this one day, maybe as a Bloodborne sequel.

Event Horizon was okay, but I couldn't get over the fact that it was pretty much Hellraiser In Space. It didn't do much to distance itself from its influences.

Fun fact: Event Horizon was the favorite movie of Eric Harris, one of the Columbine shooters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was much better than that Hellraiser that was set in space.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Speaking of horrors in space, Jason X was pretty rad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Slackerish posted:

yes, loving watch Deadwood, you cocksucker.

On the subject of HBO is Carnivale worth watching? It sounds up my alley but I hear it ends on a cliffhanger and I don't want to invest my time in a show that doesn't end with any kind of resolution (yes, I know it was cancelled, but still)

I really liked Carnivale, and it has what might be the creepiest episode, Babylon, I've ever watched on TV. My biggest issue with the show was pacing (season 1 too slow, season 2 too fast), but I watched it when it originally aired on HBO. Not only might my memory might be hazy, but binge watching a show now a days can change pacing issues. Yes it did end on sort of a cliffhanger, but there was some small form of resolution in season 2. If I remember correctly it was suppose to be 6 seasons, and with 3 main arcs (each covering 2 seasons). Also there is a 60+ page pitch document written by Knauf that really goes into the mythology (my suggestion is read it after you watch the show, not before). Knauf was planning to do a comic or book series to finish the show, but according to him HBO has prevented this from happening.

The only worse HBO cancellation I can think of is Deadwood.

Link to this amazing pitch document (but only read if you watched the show or you don't plan to).

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.harvardwood.org/resource/resmgr/hwp-pdfs/carnivale_pitch_document.pdf

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Well, if Event Horizon is your favourite movie then you should probably be checked in somewhere. I think the fact that it doesn't - final few minutes aside - have a villain is really quite remarkable and what impressed me most. The fact that they built this cool space hulk set and then rather than have people run down the corridors to/away from an alien/zombie/demon they let them simply stroll around going insane is great. Of course the execution is still terrible and they do pull a Sunshine at the very end, but the idea of Lovecraft in space is cool enough to smooth over some pretty big bumps for me. Not sure if H.P. would have had a jive talkin' token black guy jetting around and breaking the mood, but I guess we'll never know.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Kitten Party is 40 minutes of kittens with chipper narration over it. Either you don't care or you're not reading this because you already clicked the link to watch it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

Im sure this is a joke post.

Ive just finished daredevil, is Wilson Fisk the main baddie in the whole thing (like lex luthor in star wars) or will there be loads of other villains like in batman

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ive just finished daredevil, is Wilson Fisk the main baddie in the whole thing (like lex luthor in star wars) or will there be loads of other villains like in batman

Yes.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

to the first part or the second?

I just realised i typed star wards for lex luthor lol I meant superman obviously

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

to the first part or the second?

Yes.

(Wilson Fisk is pretty much always the arch-baddie but there's a bunch more colorful bad guys who'll probably show up)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes.

(Wilson Fisk is pretty much always the arch-baddie but there's a bunch more colorful bad guys who'll probably show up)

cool that's what i hoped for, i enjoyed the first season. I liked how(im going to spoiler this even though i dont think it necessary, better safe than sorry) they made Fisk an actual person and less of a caricature than most villains in comic/cartoon things (although at times his dialogue and acting were embarrassingly bad - trash TV so np really), and I like that the good guy doesn't have proper super powers. I hated the Christian Bale impression while in costume, though, and found it unnecessary. You dont have to disguise your voice dude we can see almost your whole face. It is definitely the blind lawyer guy, everyone would spot it immediately.

"Hey it the blind lawyer guy who is for some reason covering only the upper section of his head! Wait no the blind lawyer guy doesn't speak like gravel, must be another blind guy in Hell's Kitchen with that exact face and build."

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

cool that's what i hoped for, i enjoyed the first season. I liked how(im going to spoiler this even though i dont think it necessary, better safe than sorry) they made Fisk an actual person and less of a caricature than most villains in comic/cartoon things (although at times his dialogue and acting were embarrassingly bad - trash TV so np really), and I like that the good guy doesn't have proper super powers. I hated the Christian Bale impression while in costume, though, and found it unnecessary. You dont have to disguise your voice dude we can see almost your whole face. It is definitely the blind lawyer guy, everyone would spot it immediately.

"Hey it the blind lawyer guy who is for some reason covering only the upper section of his head! Wait no the blind lawyer guy doesn't speak like gravel, must be another blind guy in Hell's Kitchen with that exact face and build."

I also liked the way they made Fisk more of a real character, but holy poo poo his Mandarian is so incredibly painful to listen to. Like, skip the scene painful. The actor is trying to imitate the inflection and cadence of the Chinese crime boss, but it comes out sounding like a Mickey Rooney caricature.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ChineseConnection posted:

I also liked the way they made Fisk more of a real character, but holy poo poo his Mandarian is so incredibly painful to listen to. Like, skip the scene painful. The actor is trying to imitate the inflection and cadence of the Chinese crime boss, but it comes out sounding like a Mickey Rooney caricature.

His Japanese isn't any better, but I certainly didn't read any racist overtones to it. The only people who pick up that his Mandarin isn't up to snuff are people that speak Mandarin.

The Mandarin aside, if you want to talk about racist overtones in Marvel productions we could always talk about The Mandarin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

it might. it's a lot closer in tone to the Nolan Batman movies than any of the Marvel movies.