Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Centipeed posted:

A bit sappy, probably, but I was just looking over the stats for BeforeIPlay.com, and I wanted to thank you all for giving me a reason to work on a great project.

Obviously the site wouldn't exist if it weren't for this thread, and I don't think for a second that any of its success is down to me - all I have to do is copy, paste, and reformat.

Even so, the site gets 10,000 sessions a month, and we recently hit the 700 game count, and that feels pretty great.

Especially since it's obvious that the site is useful to far more people than just Goons.

I've been using your site for YEARS. Thanks for everything you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Centipeed posted:

A bit sappy, probably, but I was just looking over the stats for BeforeIPlay.com, and I wanted to thank you all for giving me a reason to work on a great project.

Obviously the site wouldn't exist if it weren't for this thread, and I don't think for a second that any of its success is down to me - all I have to do is copy, paste, and reformat.

Even so, the site gets 10,000 sessions a month, and we recently hit the 700 game count, and that feels pretty great.

Especially since it's obvious that the site is useful to far more people than just Goons.

Time to play a new game? First place I check is the OP of the thread for the game if one exists. I'll probably skim the first page to catch those folk that always chime in with "and don't forget about _______" that never gets added to the OP. Second place is beforeiplay.com, which I usually access by just typing the game name and beforeiplay into google. Your honor-bound duty is to remain thankless 99.9% of the time for performing a valuable service but right now it's that .1% and I am going to say thank you.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Nissir posted:

So, GTA V goes live on PC in like 22 hours, wtf should I know?

This applies. The most important parts: delay the assassination missions (bar the first one) until you're done with the story, be aware that side missions generally don't pay you, and finish the flight school so you get a parachute whenever you're on a plane.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Centipeed posted:

Aww. It's a good site I often link to people.

If there's one improvement I'd ask for, it's not including "advice" like "wait till you get to the part with the thing, your mind will be blown" or "don't worry about figuring things out, just play - the game is easy".

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Aww. It's a good site I often link to people.

If there's one improvement I'd ask for, it's not including "advice" like "wait till you get to the part with the thing, your mind will be blown" or "don't worry about figuring things out, just play - the game is easy".

It tends to be that if someone provides a list of hints, and they include opinions like this, I take them out - I agree with you that they're not really objective enough to be considered something everyone should know before playing a game.

But obviously some things like that make it through since I'm just copying and pasting.

Feel free to let me know any blatant offenders in this thread and I can remove those.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Centipeed posted:

The first thing I do when I pick up a game for the first time now is check the thread and the wiki. Best wiki best goons.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Yeah I'm a budget gamer, but love RPGs, so checking the wiki a few months after the games released and on the cheap is incredibly helpful. I've recommended it to several friends and all of them have thanked me for directing it to them, so on behalf of a little over a dozen people, thank you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything I should know about Boot Hill Heroes?

Edit - What I've learned so far is:

The game kinda expects you to fight all the enemies on each screen, if not outright grind, if you want to keep up to the level it expects you to be.

Don't sell any crafting materials (Items with a picture next to them). You'll find a use for them fairly soon after the prologue.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 16, 2015

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Are there any nasty bugs outstanding in Pillars of Eternity? I read something about equipment bonuses not stacking, but I have no idea if it's been fixed or not.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

o.m. 94 posted:

Are there any nasty bugs outstanding in Pillars of Eternity? I read something about equipment bonuses not stacking, but I have no idea if it's been fixed or not.

A lot of equipment bonuses don't stack by design. Say you've got a ring that improves fortitude by 10 and a cloak that improves fortitude by 5 equipped only the bonus from the ring applies. This is highlighted in the character sheet where the bonus from the cloak will be greyed out with "(Suppressed)" written next to it.
e: This doesn't apply to bonuses from weapons or shields, those always stack.

In terms of bugs in the game a few of the more critical ones have been dealt with but someone else can probably answer about it's current state better than I can.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 16, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That isn't a bug, if two pieces of equipment give the same bonus only one of them will count and the other will be greyed out and labelled "suppressed" on your character sheet. It greys out the one with the lower bonus, so if you have a helmet that gives you +2 Might and +2 Constitution as well as gloves that give you +3 Might you'll get the +2 Con from the helmet and +3 Might from the gloves. This just applies to equipment bonuses, other bonuses you get from resting or drinking potions will stack. As for bugs, the nasty ones got fixed in the first patch, there is still some minor stuff (boots of speed don't always work, game might crash if you leave an area while your cursor is hovering over a container apparently) but on the whole you're food to go.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Centipeed posted:

Chiming in to say that I too find the wiki awesome and very useful. You're doing a great job (and so do the contributors here).

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anything for Anachronox that isn't on the wiki already? Outside of general tips, I'm wondering if not doing the side quests I find will hurt me later. I'm spoiled by newer games such that I don't really want to keep track of things that don't appear in my quest log, which apparently for Anachronox means only doing the main quest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doing the sidequests is the only way to get new abilities for your characters so you definitely want to do them or look up a guide for the relevant ones.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Overminty posted:

A lot of equipment bonuses don't stack by design. Say you've got a ring that improves fortitude by 10 and a cloak that improves fortitude by 5 equipped only the bonus from the ring applies. This is highlighted in the character sheet where the bonus from the cloak will be greyed out with "(Suppressed)" written next to it.
e: This doesn't apply to bonuses from weapons or shields, those always stack.

In terms of bugs in the game a few of the more critical ones have been dealt with but someone else can probably answer about it's current state better than I can.

There is a serious bug in Pillars related to swapping companions. Once you get the stronghold and can swap companions, make sure you remove their equipment before removing them from the party. Otherwise they may lose their equipment, including quickslot items, weapons and such. I lost all my summoning items, my grimoires and many potions. I am not playing again until they fix this poo poo.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
That just got fixed but it wasn't in the latest patch notes.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I did notice a small bug while playing last night. I didn't experiement with is, so cannot tell how general it is.

What I had was Eder with a +5 Deflection ring. I found that if I removed it and put it back on without dropping it somewhere else, like a characters inventory, in between (Click to make it stick to your cursor, then immediately put it back on.), then the bonus that was removed with the ring wasn't reapplied. It didn't stack from what I could tell (meaning the bonus was only removed once even if I did the thing several times).

It is easy to undo. Just remove the ring to someones inventory and put it back on, and everything is back to normal. And also something of a special case, since it requires you to basically change your mind at a very specific point during inventory management. Still, it's there. It may affect other items with stat boosts.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I started playing Super Mario World, on gameboy advance, but i'm dying a lot because of things offscreen (above or below usually) does this have less screen real estate than the SNES version? I remember SMB DX was like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

I started playing Super Mario World, on gameboy advance, but i'm dying a lot because of things offscreen (above or below usually) does this have less screen real estate than the SNES version? I remember SMB DX was like that.

Yes, GBA's resolution is lower than the SNES which leads to some awkwardness if you jump from the SNES versions of these games. It was especially annoying in Yoshi's Island as those levels are larger and require exploration.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Good to know thanks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Specifically, the GBA's vertical resolution is almost 2/3 of the SNES' so the ports look stretched and squashed. They did a good job with what they had, though. Like in Iggy's castle instead of the mashers or whatever that drop from the ceiling they actually come through the ceiling at the top of the screen because so much is cut off.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Dante's Inferno was on sale for $3 so what the hell. Anything I should know for that?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Nohman posted:

Dante's Inferno was on sale for $3 so what the hell. Anything I should know for that?

I THINK it's your standard button mash action game but have fun killing unbaptized babies.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nohman posted:

The Cross is overpowered as gently caress. It's a piercing spammable attack that's unblockable by anything in the game. The only reason to use the scythe is simply because there's some good upgrades locked behind its tree.

Yes, the plot is that obvious. Yes, the environments are some of the best you'll see in any game. Yes, that was Lucifer's gigantic dong you saw flopping about. Just set the game on easy and enjoy the visuals.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Just finished Bioshock 2 and started in on the Minerva's Den DLC. Anything special I should know about the latter?

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Nohman posted:

Played it a while ago, so my terminology might be off, but as I remember you meet damned NPCs as you descend. For each you have the choice of punishing them or absolving them of their sins. Punishing gives you a fixed amount of exp, but you're almost always better off playing the minigame associated with absolving them - even if you're awful at it, it rewards more exp than the punishment, and the gap widens with a little practice.

Also, as I recall, the cross works against all the enemies EXCEPT Lucifer. Which means if you don't upgrade the scythe at least a little you're boning yourself for the final boss fight.

The flying bat-things can be really annoying to kill normally. If you use the scythe-grab attack though it insta-kills them.

There's no penalty for switching difficulties at any point, and you can switch back immediately. So if a fight is annoying you too much, just move to easy for the moment and then move it back.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yes, the plot is that obvious. Yes, the environments are some of the best you'll see in any game. Yes, that was Lucifer's gigantic dong you saw flopping about. Just set the game on easy and enjoy the visuals.

Crank up the volume and enjoy the sound design too, it's really spectacular. DON'T play the game in a college dorm with the door open, like I did.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
A friend and I just started passing the controller to each other in a playthrough of The Last of Us on his new PS4. What should we know?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

A friend and I just started passing the controller to each other in a playthrough of The Last of Us on his new PS4. What should we know?

Don't play it like a stealth game, it'll gently caress you up. Go ahead and play stealthy until you screw up (and you will screw up, sometimes mandated by the game) then go balls to the wall nuts throwing bricks and poo poo. The bow is great against infected and will kill clickers in a single headshot plus it's 100% silent and attracts attention.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Just finished Bioshock 2 and started in on the Minerva's Den DLC. Anything special I should know about the latter?

Sentry-bot hacking is way more useful, since weapons and plasmid options are a bit limited. It's pretty easy to have 2-3 Sentries helping you, there's broken ones laying around everywhere.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

besides what's already on the wiki, anything else for Pillars of Eternity? any skills I shouldn't invest in? Anything I should know about locking myself out of sidequests?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pneub posted:

Sentry-bot hacking is way more useful, since weapons and plasmid options are a bit limited. It's pretty easy to have 2-3 Sentries helping you, there's broken ones laying around everywhere.

Yeah it has way more sentries than the normal Bioshock 1/2 (which makes sense for story reasons)

Otherwise though its just normal Bioshock rules; explore everywhere, keep yourself stocked in ammo and medkits, use your plasmids effectively.

Minerva's Den is really good, more people need to give it a chance. Its one of the few examples of DLC done really really well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Anything on Max Payne 3? I'm really bad at it so far.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anything on Max Payne 3? I'm really bad at it so far.

Use cover to line up shootdodges, always be shootdodging, if you're using the mouse to control then turn the sensitivity down a bit so it's easier to line up headshots.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And you want to be shoot dodging from cover to cover. Max is old and fat now, he has to take time to stand up and solid objects will interrupt his slow motion as well.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Guns with laser sights are actively worse than non laser sighted gun because it replaced your default dot reticle with a useless similar dot that's now affected by recoil. So your reticle becomes a spastic dot that jumps all over the place and is hard to pick out. With the default reticle you always know where your point of aim is, laser actually requires you slack off shooting so that the gun settles.

This is something I wish I knew before a particularly difficult level. I picked up a laser sight SMG just to try it out, next door was a checkpoint that prevented me from backtracking, so I was stuck fighting with a poo poo weapon.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

Guns with laser sights are actively worse than non laser sighted gun because it replaced your default dot reticle with a useless similar dot that's now affected by recoil. So your reticle becomes a spastic dot that jumps all over the place and is hard to pick out. With the default reticle you always know where your point of aim is, laser actually requires you slack off shooting so that the gun settles.

This is something I wish I knew before a particularly difficult level. I picked up a laser sight SMG just to try it out, next door was a checkpoint that prevented me from backtracking, so I was stuck fighting with a poo poo weapon.

You can turn the laser sight off :eng101: Press select on PS3, I dunno about other platforms. It works for the flashlights too.

Also:
-The reticule turns red when you're scoring hits and briefly to an x when the enemy dies. This is really useful while shooting in bullet time as it's not always obvious when they're dead thanks to slow-mo and the ragdoll physics.

- Enemy body armour actually protects that area of their body instead of just increasing their hitpoints. Shoot them in their unarmoured legs to stagger them and make a headshot easier.

-Play the game on easy, it's a difficult enough game and is a lot more fun when you have plenty of bullet time/health and can run around shootdodging everyone without being made of glass.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spalec posted:

You can turn the laser sight off :eng101: Press select on PS3, I dunno about other platforms. It works for the flashlights too.

Also:
-The reticule turns red when you're scoring hits and briefly to an x when the enemy dies. This is really useful while shooting in bullet time as it's not always obvious when they're dead thanks to slow-mo and the ragdoll physics.

- Enemy body armour actually protects that area of their body instead of just increasing their hitpoints. Shoot them in their unarmoured legs to stagger them and make a headshot easier.

-Play the game on easy, it's a difficult enough game and is a lot more fun when you have plenty of bullet time/health and can run around shootdodging everyone without being made of glass.

Interestingly you can pick up body armor in one of the later levels. It does absolutely nothing for you.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anything tips for The Witch and the Hundred Knight? I've heard there's a nasty bug or two in there. Playing the PAL version if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anything tips for The Witch and the Hundred Knight? I've heard there's a nasty bug or two in there. Playing the PAL version if that makes any difference.

No tips for you but strangely this game is getting a PS4 update. I didn't think it did well and Nippon Ichi was talking all doom and gloom not that long ago.