Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Actually now that I think about it, league of legends is super hardcore and there are no animation locks and everyone turns instantly so obviously we're all wrong, guys. Pack it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Even ESO tried to fix their "combat floaty" issues when they went B2P because yeah...it sucked. It still needs improvement imo, but it is a lot better than it used to be and I gotta give them a gold star for that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Xavier434 posted:

Even ESO tried to fix their "combat floaty" issues when they went B2P because yeah...it sucked. It still needs improvement imo, but it is a lot better than it used to be and I gotta give them a gold star for that.
How is ESO now anyway? I assume as a matter of course they didn't get even close to the totally hosed-up and weird poo poo you can get up to in regular TES games but is there anything at all that distinguishes it from the pack of F/B2P MMOs?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Back to interrupt armor, its a shittier version of another NCSoft game idea, which was B&S boss armor mechanic. The difference being that B&S had mostly 5 man dungeons and you needed just another person to break through the CC armor. Hell "support" classes could trigger armor breaks by themselves by doing two CC abilities in a row. While Wildstar didnt really teach you the mechanic, B&S took you through a story quest where an NPC would trigger the armor break for you to exploit or you'd never clear it.

This is a loving korean game that came out like 2 years before wildstar came out.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Any type of check that requires you to repeatedly use the same ability just to not instantly die is dumb. BC had shitloads of these, the most memorable for me being archimode in mount hyjal, a fight in which, as the tank, if you failed to avoid his fear by using an ability (whose only purpose is to avoid fears) the entire raid would wipe and you'd have to start again. However, after you account for lag, the window for not missing the fear was like <1.5 seconds and there was no other indication that it was about to happen.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pierson posted:

How is ESO now anyway? I assume as a matter of course they didn't get even close to the totally hosed-up and weird poo poo you can get up to in regular TES games but is there anything at all that distinguishes it from the pack of F/B2P MMOs?

Worth trying now but I would wait for a sale. Worth trying again to see if you like the changes if you bought it already.

Beyond that, check out the ESO thread for the details. It can do better than I can.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Back to interrupt armor, its a shittier version of another NCSoft game idea, which was B&S boss armor mechanic. The difference being that B&S had mostly 5 man dungeons and you needed just another person to break through the CC armor. Hell "support" classes could trigger armor breaks by themselves by doing two CC abilities in a row. While Wildstar didnt really teach you the mechanic, B&S took you through a story quest where an NPC would trigger the armor break for you to exploit or you'd never clear it.

This is a loving korean game that came out like 2 years before wildstar came out.

B&S's version also looks infinitely better, because once something is stunned, it's vulnerable to everybody's grabs/grapples, such as hopping on its chest or choking it with an axe's shaft. So you interrupt the boss, then every member of the party has some way to pin it down even further (only one grab per stun, though), instead of just "boss takes more damage for X seconds."

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

B&S's version also looks infinitely better, because once something is stunned, it's vulnerable to everybody's grabs/grapples, such as hopping on its chest or choking it with an axe's shaft. So you interrupt the boss, then every member of the party has some way to pin it down even further (only one grab per stun, though), instead of just "boss takes more damage for X seconds."

If it's not a suplex it isn't worth using.

If it is, GOTY.

Also technically it's "the same thing" but if someone's need for HARDCORE makes them blind to the difference between doing x% more damage to something or suplexing something then their opinion is invalid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

The actual requirements for that original attunement? Walk to the entrance of Molten Core Proper, fetch a little crystal, and you're done.

That kind of understates it a little. The entrance to MC was originally inside a different instance, Blackrock Depths, which was loving enormous at the time and could take at least an hour to reach, or at least before people discovered the shortcut.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Not to mention the aptly named Lava Destroyers guarding the crystal that was one of the toughest fights in the game at the time. Their damage was 100% fire based and nobody had poo poo for FR gear in the early days unless you ran a slave trade farming Dark Iron.

And all the faction you had to have to buy the patterns to make the FR gear.

Then the faction to make the run out to Asura every loving week to buy a quintessence of elements and hope to gently caress other people remembered to go pick them up as well.

And to top it all off, if you had smart rogues who knew their poo poo, and they decided to go "help" with attunment runs, you can bet your rear end you were clearing the bar and not bypassing it because the Barman Shanker was top tits.

While maybe not Wildstar level of stupid, it can easily be said that Vanilla WoW sure was a pile of loving poo poo. But we did it because eh, what else are you gonna do?

Givin fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Bauxite posted:

If it's not a suplex it isn't worth using.

If it is, GOTY.

Also technically it's "the same thing" but if someone's need for HARDCORE makes them blind to the difference between doing x% more damage to something or suplexing something then their opinion is invalid.

Is a high kick into a midair leglock good enough?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

It's pretty good. You can play the PVE as a co-op/single player TES game. In this regard it's pretty decent albeit slightly more linear than a regular TES game.

The PVP campaign is where this game really shines for me. It has an incredibly designed 3 way faction map that favours both zerg and small group fighting, tactics, etc. I've basically spent my entire time in here from lvl 10 through to 45 or so.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Is a high kick into a midair leglock good enough?

But do you then somehow pivot in midair like it's fist of the north star and throw them into the ground like a doom train? I think the throwing someone into the ground part is the most important part.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Malgrave trail. *twitches*

My favorite part of that instance was when we spent 50 mins doing it and got to the very end on track for gold and the leader of the caravan went missing and died. We subsequently didn't get gold or complete the instance. :vince:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Does anyone have a link to the previous thread?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Does anyone have a link to the previous thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683436

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

Givin posted:

Not to mention the aptly named Lava Destroyers guarding the crystal that was one of the toughest fights in the game at the time. Their damage was 100% fire based and nobody had poo poo for FR gear in the early days unless you ran a slave trade farming Dark Iron.

And all the faction you had to have to buy the patterns to make the FR gear.

Then the faction to make the run out to Asura every loving week to buy a quintessence of elements and hope to gently caress other people remembered to go pick them up as well.

This is all true but the basic idea remains "Congratulations! You're enough of a good player to made it into the instance portal. That's it, you can officially raid now, also here's something to skip all that bullshit next time" is a much nicer and friendlier attunement process than Wildstar.

Farming waterlords faction was also lovely but the idea was for your group to get decked in better gear from the lesser bosses before facing off against Ragnaros.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Thank you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

cammy14 posted:

This is all true but the basic idea remains "Congratulations! You're enough of a good player to made it into the instance portal. That's it, you can officially raid now, also here's something to skip all that bullshit next time" is a much nicer and friendlier attunement process than Wildstar.

Farming waterlords faction was also lovely but the idea was for your group to get decked in better gear from the lesser bosses before facing off against Ragnaros.

Everything in the attunement was showing you where you could go to get better gear in order to do the next step. In Wildstar every step is just meaningless. You don't get better gear from the world bosses or the dungeons or the adventures or anything that wasn't crafting, which means they either threw the attunement quest together to give themselves more time to finish the raids after release without giving any thought to making it more than just busywork (likely), or they can't do math and just didn't realize how much better crafted gear was compared to everything else (likely AND hilarious).

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Don't forget that the best weapon in the game, at least for engineers, was from PVP. It was miles ahead better than anything crafted or from dungeons. In fact, it was so good that some of the raid weapons were side grades.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Secret Spoon posted:

Don't forget that the best weapon in the game, at least for engineers, was from PVP. It was miles ahead better than anything crafted or from dungeons. In fact, it was so good that some of the raid weapons were side grades.

To be fair for a long time in vanilla wow the PVP sets were better than raid gear for DPS but of course were locked behind pvp ranks and the need to poopsock to get them.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

BigPaddy posted:

To be fair for a long time in vanilla wow the PVP sets were better than raid gear for DPS but of course were locked behind pvp ranks and the need to poopsock to get them.

really? in that case it's safe to assume that the engie weapon issue was completely intentional

gotta worship the pure untainted vanilla wow

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
The pre-release trailers and devspeak videos made the game look good to me and I dismissed the flaws in the late stage of the beta that I played as "It'll be fixed for launch." But in the two months I played after launch I just had this feeling like something was missing and, not wanting to spend any more money on the game, found myself pressured to make the 6 platinum needed to buy a credd. I never did though, because I realized I didn't want to grind just to play more of a game I only kind of enjoyed.

Also, that Exile capital city made me feel bored whenever I stepped foot there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

"It'll get fixed for launch, guys." *performance issues and well known bugs persist for months post-launch*

Bauxite posted:

But do you then somehow pivot in midair like it's fist of the north star and throw them into the ground like a doom train? I think the throwing someone into the ground part is the most important part.

Ok, getting closer. I found a gif I had saved of an aircombo to a grab, but for a different class. It's a spinning piledriver.

I think Kirbysuperstar made this one. From back when we had a thread for Chinese B&S.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sword_man.gif posted:

"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

Dont worry guys we know the game is a barely playable disaster but we are saving all the good stuff for launch in two weeks

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

It's sort of amazing how people will always say this about games with a lovely beta despite it never being true. Can anyone think of a game that actually did have a miracle day 1 patch?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

It's sort of amazing how people will always say this about games with a lovely beta despite it never being true. Can anyone think of a game that actually did have a miracle day 1 patch?

um well one of the devs was A GOON so surely they would never lie

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

sword_man.gif posted:

I am not surprised especially since a lot of WS players have had zero prior MMO experience other than WoW and maybe EQ1. I have played enough MMOs, participated in enough betas, and played during enough launches to know that this is almost entirely a myth at least to the point where it should never be expected or relied upon. This is especially true for any issues which involve the core foundation or features of the game. What happens instead is that launch hits, there are lots of problems, and only a fraction of them get fixed over the course of the next 3 months. As for the rest, especially core system problems, it can take a much longer time. Even over a year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sword_man.gif posted:

I had my heart broken by this promise in hellgate and I will never believe that lie again.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Byolante posted:

I had my heart broken by this promise in hellgate and I will never believe that lie again.

One of the best things about wildstar being a huge fart is most of the mmo playing goons who got burned by it won't learn any sort of a lesson because they never do

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

By the time the open Beta starts that is usually the state the game will be released in, maybe a few little tweaks but not much else.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

By the time the open Beta starts that is usually the state the game will be released in, maybe a few little tweaks but not much else.

yeah see that's the thing, they had an "open beta" and it was dogshit but "oh it's just a beta"

there's no such thing as an open beta. it's a demo called a beta to encourage that thought process.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

yeah see that's the thing, they had an "open beta" and it was dogshit but "oh it's just a beta"

there's no such thing as an open beta. it's a demo called a beta to encourage that thought process.

I like that same games now have paid betas that let you buy access to demo the game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

and as a developer myself I can totally relate to limiting changes to just small features or critical bugs at that stage. It is just too risky and too late to do anything else before launch.

Of course, that says nothing about choosing to go to open beta before fixing more stuff first. That is often beyond the control of developers though despite protests from both them and the players.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
This is actually the first MM I started fresh on since WoW. I was always like "eh, flash in the pan/not interested" about Secret World of SWTOR and such, but I broke down for Wildstar because I liked the goofy aesthetic and housing seemed promising. What a fool I've been.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
During the closed beta I saw the game 'progressing' and saw enough by level 13 to stay well away. I feel bad for anyone who paid money for this game, but then I also feel bad for people who put money into crowfall or archage.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Byolante posted:

During the closed beta I saw the game 'progressing' and saw enough by level 13 to stay well away. I feel bad for anyone who paid money for this game, but then I also feel bad for people who put money into crowfall or archage.

I wouldn't be surprised if people were still putting money into archage

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Fister Roboto posted:

That kind of understates it a little. The entrance to MC was originally inside a different instance, Blackrock Depths, which was loving enormous at the time and could take at least an hour to reach, or at least before people discovered the shortcut.

In this thread, tons people that never played WoW Classic. The entrance is still in Blackrock Depths, you could get there in 30 mins and could lava jump to get it in less if your were good at it. It was literally something you could do solo 30 mins before the raid. I know I ran new raiders through it because they never even know where the green portal even was. It was so simple guilds didn't even ask if you were attuned to MC.

There was NEVER a time where the window didn't work. Blizzard did think about not having the "Shortcut" during beta but then just went with this.

Hell the NPC there told you to walk through the window after you got attuned.

But WoW was never that hard on getting into upper content, Wildstar took that page from Everquest. Where not until a couple of years ago you still had to do decades old raid content just to get the items needed to do current raids.

Tormented fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tormented posted:

Where not until a couple of years ago you still had to do decades old raid content just to get the items needed to do current raids.

Seriously? Holy poo poo! :psyduck:

That said there's probably no one still playing Everquest who hasn't been at it for decades.

• Locked thread