Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How about books that are depressing? Because good lord I will never read Farewell to Arms or The End of the Affair ever again

I don't think that would quitecut it. He's the chap from CineD who's ceaselessly looking for as close to snuff as possible.
I'd recommend William S. Burroughs and JG Ballard, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Schurik posted:

I'm getting back into reading after 6 or 7 years of not being able to focus due to various circumstances, and I'd appreciate some general ideas on where to start/continue. I love me some Pratchett and Adams, got a bit into RR Martin, never turn down some King, on the literary side I'm into Dostoevsky, Sartre and Hesse, and when it somes to genre fiction in general I love character-based sci-fi and all types of fantasy. There's a bunch more but I thought I'd generalize heavily and list some stuff everyone knows. I speak german fluently so anything goes there, too. Just throw some of your favorites my way, I'm open to anything.

Character based sci-fi: The Golden Globe by John Varley, fairly light-hearted romp about a conman/actor trying to get from Pluto to Luna for a starring role as King Lear while pursued by an unkillable hitman. Best narratorial voice ever. Reminds me of Pratchett in the sense that he has a deep understanding of what makes people tick. Also the first two Hyperion books by Dan Simmons.

For character-based/literary fantasy I'd recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, widely agreed to be one of the best fantasy novels of the last 15 years, and I've just recently read and loved the first two Gormenghast books by Mervyn Peake - really, really unique and "literary," for want of a better word.

If you never turn down King and haven't read everything he's written, then here's my opinion on his best books as someone who thinks he's extremely talented and capable of both brilliant novels and utter trash: The Long Walk, The Mist, the beginning of the Dark Tower series before it all goes downhill (but it's still worth reading just for those first few books).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think that would quitecut it. He's the chap from CineD who's ceaselessly looking for as close to snuff as possible.
I'd recommend William S. Burroughs and JG Ballard, I guess?

My reputation precedes me.

As long as I'm book shopping, might as well ask for some more recommendations. What are some horror-ish psychedelic books? Like...if Electric Wizard were to write a book. If movies like Suspiria or [b]Videodrome[b] were books...maybe a bit more pulpy? If Electric Wizard were to write a book...that would be what I'm looking for.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I'm having kind of a hard time articulating the type of book I'm looking for.

Basically if you are familiar with the depressive-suicidal black metal genre of music, something like that in a book.

Depression, suicide, self-destruction, grief, loss, mental illness- in a narrative/story. Not like a "I went to a mental hospital and this is my experience" type thing...more of a work of fiction. An exploration of themes I listed before in a narrative/novel. I'm not even sure if something like this exists.

No Longer Human, The Book of Disquiet, The Clown, Hunger, arguably Confessions of a Mask

edit: Doctor Glas, too

ulvir fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

No Longer Human, The Book of Disquiet, The Clown, Hunger, arguably Confessions of a Mask

edit: Doctor Glas, too

You hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I'm putting Blindsight out there.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I'm very interested in psychology and psychiatry and the concept of isolation, language acquisition, and "culture shock". I wonder if there's any works that mesh these things. Failing that, what about treating the individual subjects?

Thanks

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I can ask for non-fiction as well, right?

I'm looking for an introductory, catch-all guide to history of literature.

I read a lot, and a lot of very varied things. I want something to help me put those things in context. My ideal history of literature would focus less on literary movements and more on what specific innovations in technique, form and storytelling appeared when and by whom, and how different important authors related to these innovations. It would preferably deal with world literature, not a specific region, and encompass all epochs. I'm aware that's a lot to ask, so I'm willing to check out something that doesn't go into too much detail. Or, alternatively, a longer, more academic work with a broader scope (like a Copleston for literature, maybe).

Does anyone know anything of the sort?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Check out HarOld Bloom

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Neukoln19 posted:

I'm very interested in psychology and psychiatry and the concept of isolation, language acquisition, and "culture shock". I wonder if there's any works that mesh these things. Failing that, what about treating the individual subjects?

Thanks

Concerning isolation and language acquisition, you might be interested in studies of feral children. Perhaps start by checking out the Wikipedia articles on Genie and Victor of Aveyron and see if they're along the lines of what you're looking for. If so, the Further Reading sections have several articles and books to choose from.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Anyone know any good zombie books available on kindle? Preferably devoid of long winded, right-wing rants about how immigrants are at the root of all of America's ills. :negative:

elbow posted:

Zone One by Colson Whitehead is a good one too.

Seconding this. I think Zone One is amazing. It's almost like McCarthy's The Road, in that a literary-fiction guy takes on a genre work, making it almost unrelentingly bleak with awesome language use:

Zone One awesomeness posted:

Mark Spitz had met plenty of the divine-retribution folks over the months. This was their moment; they were umbrella salesmen standing outside a subway entrance in a downpour. The human race deserved the plague, we brought it on ourselves for poisoning the planet, for the Death of God, the calculated brutalities of the global economic system, for driving primordial species to extinction: the entire collapse of values as evidenced by everything from nuclear fission to reality television to alternate side of the street parking. Mark Spitz could only endure these harangues for a minute or two before he split. It was boring.The plague was the plague. You were wearing galoshes, or you weren't.

I also think it's a great examination of what happens when the apocalypse becomes "mundane", and when arrogance starts to seep into post-apocalyptic thought and action.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are there any good fantasy novels not set in a European-like world (like ASOIAF, LOTR, etc.)? I've read good things about Throne of the Crescent Moon, but I'm interested in other options too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

radlum posted:

Are there any good fantasy novels not set in a European-like world (like ASOIAF, LOTR, etc.)? I've read good things about Throne of the Crescent Moon, but I'm interested in other options too

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

Guy Gavriel Kay's _Under Heaven_ isn't bad. Depending on what you mean by "european" his Lions of Al-Rassan might qualify and it's excellent (basically set in a fantasy version of Moorish Spain during the reconquista, so it has a very arabic feel).

Past that it sorta depends on what sort of fantasy you want. Urban fantasy is its whole genre and is set in modern cities (usually London, for some reason). Some authors like China Mieville write "New Weird" and it's all steampunk and poo poo. Then there's sci-fi like Zelazny's Lord of Light where all the technology is so advanced it's not just magic but actual religion (specifically hindu and buddhist).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 26, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

freebooter posted:

For character-based/literary fantasy I'd recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, widely agreed to be one of the best fantasy novels of the last 15 years,
I found this unbearably boring. I also hate anything Victorian so there's that, too.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Kvlt! posted:

My reputation precedes me.

As long as I'm book shopping, might as well ask for some more recommendations. What are some horror-ish psychedelic books? Like...if Electric Wizard were to write a book. If movies like Suspiria or [b]Videodrome[b] were books...maybe a bit more pulpy? If Electric Wizard were to write a book...that would be what I'm looking for.

Try either All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By or Son of the Endless Night by John Farris

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

radlum posted:

City Of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett takes place in a country that's reminiscent of Russia, with many of the characters being from an India-alike. It's also a pretty good book.

If you can stand books that are absolutely crushingly depressing, Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son trilogy is set somewhere similar to the US in the 1800s; it's good, but it will pretty much destroy any faith in humanity you might have had. Par for the course with Robin Hobb, really. (I will mention but not actually recommend Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker books, set in a similar place and time period; the concept is neat and some of the writing is pretty good but a) Orson Scott Card b) uuuuuugh c) the series quickly stagnates and goes absolutely nowhere for book after book after book. Still, if you find the style of old Pecos Bill/Paul Bunyan/Daniel Boone stories to be interesting, I guess it might be worth a look.)

I guess there's also the fantasy-Japan Tales of the Otori books, but I'm sort of iffy on actually recommending those; I thought Across The Nightingale Floor was decent but I also thought the series went downhill after that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for history books about Japan, but not all the samurai/WW2/anime books that are coming up in my searching. I want something about the post-war transformation, from the 50s through the 70s/80s. I've found a couple for the immediate post-war occupation era but I am interested in something about the changes during the boom times and I am not finding much.

E: Also while economics and the explosion of Japanese industry is obviously a huge deal I'm not looking for an economics book. Cultural history that also deals with the business environment would be great.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 26, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Novels about love that are geared toward/equally enjoyed by men? I want to read a good story about people who meet and fall in love, but it has to be well-written, not some Romance Novel. Time-Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books.

In terms of quality, consider Hornby the minimum ok level.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

Novels about love that are geared toward/equally enjoyed by men? I want to read a good story about people who meet and fall in love, but it has to be well-written, not some Romance Novel. Time-Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books.

The Constant Gardener is surprisingly good this way.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

blue squares posted:

The End of the Affair

Marcoux
Oct 3, 2013
I am looking for a book to learn about architecture, urbanism, or both(with pictures ideally !). I know next to about both these things
but they've always fascinated me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Marcoux posted:

I am looking for a book to learn about architecture, urbanism, or both(with pictures ideally !). I know next to about both these things
but they've always fascinated me.

The BLDGBLOG book that came out a few years ago is pretty interesting, although it isn't a primer - more a collection of cool things related to built environments.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

The Constant Gardener is surprisingly good this way.
As long as you're aware it's pretty horrible in all other ways.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

As long as you're aware it's pretty horrible in all other ways.

I read it when I was like, 15, so this may be correct.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

blue squares posted:

A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter is mindblowingly great

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 27, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A Sport and a Pastime by James Salter is mindblowingly great

This looks intriguing, thank you! End of the Affair is also on my list.

I went to my local independent bookstore and asked the same question and was immediately directed to The Rosie Project, which is a pretty fun story so far. It's about a genetics professor with Asperger's Syndrome who decides he should be married, so he starts The Wife Project: a lengthy questionnaire to determine the suitability of potential mates. He meets a woman named Rosie who is unfit in every way, but gets drawn into her search for her biological father. I assume they fall in love by the end of the book. The writing is above average and funny, though I can see the Asperger's thing getting annoying by the end of the book.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a thread about funny books?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
This is a bit of weird request, but I'm looking for some hardcover books that I can put on a marble table I own. My theme at the moment is 'old stuff'. I've got this in the center at the moment, but the table's long enough I can get two more books for the sides. Does anyone know of older literature or philosophy (e.g. Plato or Confucius) with really pretty front covers? I want them to be as much for looks as for legitimate reading.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I need a palate cleanser from some of the serious/heavy literature I've been consuming lately. Any ideas for female led spy/action/thriller stuff in the vein of the tv shows Orphan Black, Alias, Fringe. A tinge of sci fi is great and even preferred but not corny vampire erotica drivel.

(PS I've only just started watching Orphan Black so please don't spoil anything.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

frenchnewwave posted:

I need a palate cleanser from some of the serious/heavy literature I've been consuming lately. Any ideas for female led spy/action/thriller stuff in the vein of the tv shows Orphan Black, Alias, Fringe. A tinge of sci fi is great and even preferred but not corny vampire erotica drivel.

(PS I've only just started watching Orphan Black so please don't spoil anything.)

If you don't mind going old school, you might enjoy Peter O'Donnell's Modesty Blaise books, which are pulpy spy adventures with one of fiction's more rear end-kicking female heroes.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

The Science of Suck posted:

no, but ppl will post in it if you make one. i'll just make a post after post about Švejk.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

frenchnewwave posted:

The Rook may be right in your wheelhouse:

quote:

Myfanwy Thomas awakes in a London park surrounded by dead bodies. With her memory gone, her only hope of survival is to trust the instructions left in her pocket by her former self. She quickly learns that she is a Rook, a high-level operative in a secret agency that protects the world from supernatural threats. But there is a mole inside the organization and this person wants her dead.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Science of Suck posted:

I don't know if there's a thread but PG Wodehouse's stuff is laugh out loud funny (at least to me), especially the Bertie and Jeeves stuff.

Rollofthedice posted:

This is a bit of weird request, but I'm looking for some hardcover books that I can put on a marble table I own. My theme at the moment is 'old stuff'. I've got this in the center at the moment, but the table's long enough I can get two more books for the sides. Does anyone know of older literature or philosophy (e.g. Plato or Confucius) with really pretty front covers? I want them to be as much for looks as for legitimate reading.

If you just want old books that look cool, estate/rummage sales or eBay are probably your best bet unless you get lucky at a thrift store or are willing to splash some money at a rare/antique book shop. If you're good with lovely, new, hard bound books (and are willing to spend a chunk of money), Penguins Hardcover Classics series are really nice and well designed.

frenchnewwave posted:

I haven't read it yet but have HL Huang's Zero Sum Game on my on-deck list and it might fit the bill.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm having kind of a hard time articulating the type of book I'm looking for.

Basically if you are familiar with the depressive-suicidal black metal genre of music, something like that in a book.

Depression, suicide, self-destruction, grief, loss, mental illness- in a narrative/story. Not like a "I went to a mental hospital and this is my experience" type thing...more of a work of fiction. An exploration of themes I listed before in a narrative/novel. I'm not even sure if something like this exists.

Xasthur as a book? Coming right up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Chants_de_Maldoror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80_rebours

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Lawen posted:

If you just want old books that look cool, estate/rummage sales or eBay are probably your best bet unless you get lucky at a thrift store or are willing to splash some money at a rare/antique book shop. If you're good with lovely, new, hard bound books (and are willing to spend a chunk of money), Penguins Hardcover Classics series are really nice and well designed.

Sorry - to clarify, I didn't mean old books physically, just pretty hardcover editions of stuff like Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Charlotte Bronte, etc. I didn't know that Penguin made such nice looking editions, thanks for pointing me there!

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Shitshow posted:

The Rook may be right in your wheelhouse:

quote:

I haven't read it yet but have HL Huang's Zero Sum Game on my on-deck list and it might fit the bill.

Thanks! Downloaded samples of both these books.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Rollofthedice posted:

Sorry - to clarify, I didn't mean old books physically, just pretty hardcover editions of stuff like Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Charlotte Bronte, etc. I didn't know that Penguin made such nice looking editions, thanks for pointing me there!

The Folio Society makes some beautiful covers as well.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm looking for a really good book on mythology/folklore, preferably from various different cultures. I want to read the stories primarily but analysis of them would also be something I'm interested in. I remember having a huge hardcover book as kid with all kinds of stories of stuff like King Midas, gremlins, domovoi, kappas, Loki etc with sweet pictures. Something like that would be ideal but anything you guys can recommend on the subject would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pwnstar posted:

I'm looking for a really good book on mythology/folklore, preferably from various different cultures. I want to read the stories primarily but analysis of them would also be something I'm interested in. I remember having a huge hardcover book as kid with all kinds of stories of stuff like King Midas, gremlins, domovoi, kappas, Loki etc with sweet pictures. Something like that would be ideal but anything you guys can recommend on the subject would be great.

"Best Loved Folktales from Around the World" edited by Joanna Cole is a really good collection of world wide folktales and includes things that are often hard to find, like Irish Fenian cycle, Native America and African folk tales, etc. It doesn't have analysis though.

For analysis of folk tales I've had a hard time finding good volumes. They tend to be either "In this story the boulder symbolizes a bad thing and/or a penis" etc. The best alternative is probably something like Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces, that just has theory without applying it to a particular story.