Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Command Ant posted:

Because some of us have standards, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

My parents met at a bible college. My dad was in a small choir group and they covered this. Never thought I'd ever see that anywhere but my parents' basement.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This reminds me of another picture. It's a dog doing an obstacle course jump but they trip, and over 4 panels you see their slow realization that they're falling. Anyone have that?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

RatHat posted:

This reminds me of another picture. It's a dog doing an obstacle course jump but they trip, and over 4 panels you see their slow realization that they're falling. Anyone have that?

I don't have that one, but here's one on a similar theme.

Such graceful creatures.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Bet you're thinking of this one.
Couldn't find one without text though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Spider cat, Spider CAT?!?! :stonk:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SCORPION WINS

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

My parents met at a bible college. My dad was in a small choir group and they covered this. Never thought I'd ever see that anywhere but my parents' basement.

So which one is your dad? I'm guessing far left.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

There are two firefighters :stonk:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheDon01 posted:

Bet you're thinking of this one.
Couldn't find one without text though.

Yep, that's it. Thanks.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

This one could easily be a 70s or 80s album cover from an actual, successful band.

I know we're making fun and all, but any barbershop quartet that can walk away with a regional championship is a group of guys who can loving sing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the first time I noticed there were firefighters :suspense:.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is the first time I noticed there were firefighters :suspense:.

There are also three dudes not wearing safety gear next to the building.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/36aw9JE.gif&v=ThlhSnRk21E&s=19

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Gorilla Salad posted:

Doesn't surprise me. Fire departments in my state are almost all volunteer, so they're staffed almost entirely with <20 y/o rednecks whose day job is McDonalds. This is in Vermont, I assume/hope it's better in states with an actual population.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Centripetal Horse posted:

This one could easily be a 70s or 80s album cover from an actual, successful band.

Well, the album is from 1970 and they did have moderate succes with the single "Are You Ready?" (14th in the billboard 100) from the same album.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Centripetal Horse posted:

I know we're making fun and all, but any barbershop quartet that can walk away with a regional championship is a group of guys who can loving sing.

But what about sectionals, and semis, and semi-regionals, and regional-semis, and national lower-zone semis?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what the gently caress are regionals?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Knormal posted:

SCORPION WINS

SUB-ZERO WINS

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

IndustrialApe posted:

Well, the album is from 1970 and they did have moderate succes with the single "Are You Ready?" (14th in the billboard 100) from the same album.

Oh, huh. I didn't notice that it was PG&E. Maybe I subconsciously recognized the album cover.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But what about sectionals, and semis, and semi-regionals, and regional-semis, and national lower-zone semis?

It's chumps all the way to at least the regional semis. In super-competitive areas, you might have one or two regional-level quartets in the field at the semi-regionals, but they're usually the guys who will fizzle out well before the national lower-zone semis. For the most part, any quartet that actually has to earn their place by performing in sectionals is never going to make it past the semis. All the guys who can really sing are brought into the invitationals and get to skip the scrub leagues.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

All these years I had no idea what :goonsay: was supposed to be, thought it was like a squashed loaf of bread or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lazlow posted:

went to a garage sale a couple weeks ago

Not gonna lie, that was my jam when I was a kid. Dad had it on 8 track and we played that bastard all the time in the winnebago.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nexus6 posted:

All these years I had no idea what :goonsay: was supposed to be, thought it was like a squashed loaf of bread or something.

This, or a bus, are often the things goonsay is mistaken for. But that's not very funny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nexus6 posted:

:goonsay:

(I'm sorry)

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

William Shakespeare, greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist, invents the "your mum" joke.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

William Shakespeare, greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist, invents the "your mum" joke.

Shakespeare is heralded as a literary genius but when you really look a surprising amount of his writing was just sex jokes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dude wrote a lot of sex jokes, fart jokes and dick jokes, but is basically taught as a serious writer. I don't get it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Dude wrote a lot of sex jokes, fart jokes and dick jokes, but is basically taught as a serious writer. I don't get it.

He wrote them first though

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Nah.

Breaking news about breaking wind: the world's oldest joke is a one-liner about flatulence, researchers say.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7536918.stm

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I take comfort in the fact that we, as a species, have always found farts and dongs hilarious. It's somehow reassuring.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

stubblyhead posted:

So which one is your dad? I'm guessing far left.

lol no the pictures of my dad's group are even more embarrassing, mostly for the 80s hair and the baby blue suits

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

Shakespeare pretty much exclusively did remakes of older classic stories, dumbed down for the common, theatre-going masses. There wasn't an original bone in his body.

Shakespeare owns.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He also invented the word "puke".

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

sassassin posted:

Shakespeare pretty much exclusively did remakes of older classic stories, dumbed down for the common, theatre-going masses. There wasn't an original bone in his body.

Shakespeare owns.

So Michael Bay really will be seen as a master of cinema centuries from now? :sigh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MizPiz posted:

So Michael Bay really will be seen as a master of cinema centuries from now? :sigh:
No, but we'll probably remember similar jokes from Tarantino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Shakespeare's plays were performed at theatres that had both upper class lords etc sitting in the stands and the unwashed masses down in the pit. Shakespeare thus wrote for both: he'd have some rockin soliloquiys but also hella dick jokes, there was a clown in most of the plays, ghosts and stuff, some murder.

Also a few of his plays poke fun at royalty or in some cases are straight up seditious, but hidden in such a way that the primary reading glorified the king etc etc. Pretty rock and roll when you consider that the King could have decapitated him had he found out.

• Locked thread