Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Gotta get their before the assholes who put his/her bag in sideways and then puts their coat next to it, taking up a whole bin and forcing me to put my bag back 10 rows.

I am not above rearranging other people's stuff if someone pulls something that egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

puchu posted:

I'm moving.

Just get a soft garment bag for five bucks and fold it in a suitcase if it's a one time deal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thoguh posted:

It's all clear now.

To change the topic, I'm pretty binary on that. If I checked my bag and just have a small backpack or briefcase with me, I'm doing my best to be the last person on the plane, especially on an RJ. If I'm carrying on and need to put a bag up in the overhead I'm going to try to be one of the first handful of people on, especially if I'm in one of the first few rows. Gotta get there before the assholes who put his/her bag in sideways and then puts their coat next to it, taking up a whole bin and forcing me to put my bag back 10 rows.

Don't forget that same passenger put a carry-on and their personal item in overhead bin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The guy that is my mortal enemy is the guy that puts his poo poo above row six when he's seated at row 26.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

1. Puts personal item in overhead bin, in addition to carry-on.
2. Puts coat / jacket in overhead bin (especially in winter)
3. Said bin is > 2 rows in front of seat (especially when boarding early)
4. Talks loudly on his cell phone
5. Watches movies on iPad with no earbuds
6. Reclines seat
7. Wears a t-shirt

Am I missing anything?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
8. Wears sandles, removes in flight and puts feet up on bulkhead

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
9. Brings on and eats a tuna melt sandwich, or something equally smelly.
10. Gets up to use the bathroom on a flight that is less than an hour.

I'll admit: I do #1, but both my backpack and carry on are small. I can usually fit my backpack on top of my roller bag on anything bigger than a CRJ. At 6'3", I'm not putting anything under the seat in front of me. That's where my feet go.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

I'll admit: I do #1, but both my backpack and carry on are small. I can usually fit my backpack on top of my roller bag on anything bigger than a CRJ. At 6'3", I'm not putting anything under the seat in front of me. That's where my feet go.

I generally have to put both above since I'm in the exit row or bulkhead. But yeah, people are jerks.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a new pair of headphones the past weekend and I thought I'd share my opinions with everyone else that travels for a living. http://store.sony.com/bluetooth-and-noise-cancelling-headset-zid27-M/MDRZX770BN/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds

Best Buy had them on sale, so I figured why not? So far, they are awesome! They are smaller and less bulkier than the Sennheiser PXC450s I was using before. Even though they are smaller, they still fit comfortably over my ears, not sitting on top of them. There is a built in mic for taking phone calls while wearing them. The bluetooth pairing was easy with both my phone and tablet. The noise canceling is REALLY good, even when sitting in the last row of an MD-88. The controls for volume up/down, and next/previous track are great for not having to take my phone out of my pocket while walking through an airport. As far as battery life goes, I started using them via bluetooth with noise canceling on when I got to BNA at 4:15 am, and with the exception of 20 minutes while eating breakfast at ATL (who knew Qdoba at airports does breakfast burritos?), they were still going when I landed at LAX about 9 hours later. Even if the battery dies, you can just plug in the cable and use them like normal headphones.

I could use some trip planning advice: I have to go to Spokane the first week of June, and instead of flying out Monday morning and getting there by noon-ish, I'm thinking about flying out Friday after work. Would I be better off flying into SEA so I can do cool stuff like the museum of flight, or plane spotting at SEA, and then driving over to Spokane at some point on Sunday? Or fly into Spokane Friday, and then do a loop from there down to Mt. St. Helens Saturday, and then do cool stuff in Seattle Sunday before heading back to Spokane for work Monday morning. I'm leaning towards option 2 so that I don't have to drive all the way back to Seattle Thursday night to catch an early AM flight home. I did check into flying into SEA, and then flying over to Spokane, or doing a one way rental, but both of those were cost prohibitive, and limited on flight options.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
11. Starts taking out her clip on hair extensions and clipping them randomly to the seat back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

(who knew Qdoba at airports does breakfast burritos?)

They do and it is delicious. But airport Chipotles don't, which is bullshit. Though I've seen a handful of airport Qbodas but only one airport Chipotle (around D31 in ATL). So maybe it is just that one Chipotle and everywhere else is serving up piping hot delicious breakfast burritos to people other than me.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 23, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Thoguh posted:

They do and it is delicious. But airport Chipotles don't, which is bullshit. Though I've seen a handful of airport Qbodas but only one airport Chipotle (around D31 in ATL). So maybe it is just that one Chipotle and everywhere else is serving up piping hot delicious breakfast burritos to people other than me.

I thought there was some federal regulation for food vendors in airports to serve breakfast? I know I've definitely seen a breakfast menu at an airport Chipotle somewhere in the US.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

canoshiz posted:

I thought there was some federal regulation for food vendors in airports to serve breakfast? I know I've definitely seen a breakfast menu at an airport Chipotle somewhere in the US.

Every time I walk past it early in the morning they are open but serving their lunch/dinner menu.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

Every time I walk past it early in the morning they are open but serving their lunch/dinner menu.

Are pork, rice, and beans wrapped in a tortilla not what you eat for breakfast on a regular basis?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

DJCobol posted:

I've done #10 pretty often. but in my defense I was desperately hungover each time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

#10 doesn't bother me because you never know if someone has a medical issue, was running for 15 minutes straight to make a connection after circling for an hour with the "stay seated" light on their previous flight, etc. I'd rather move than smell a frit any day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Doccykins posted:

8. Wears sandles, removes in flight and puts feet up on bulkhead

This doesn't bother me unless the feet are smelly. It isn't like I was planning on eating off the bulkhead.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Thoguh posted:

This doesn't bother me unless the feet are smelly. It isn't like I was planning on eating off the bulkhead.

I don't know why people's feet are worse than the ocean of dog and human feces we walk through in our shoes all day and I have seen people put their shoes on everything.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Complimentary Delta Sky Club access at LAX :smug:

Only have 8 hours until my red-eye back to ATL departs, so plenty of time to take in the free booze!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Complimentary Delta Sky Club access at LAX :smug:

Only have 8 hours until my red-eye back to ATL departs, so plenty of time to take in the free booze!

That's a long rear end layover.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

That's a long rear end layover.

Not a layover. Working in LA this week, finished up early today. Coworker is from Norcal and wanted to get going home, so I just had him drop me at the airport.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

UberX is so cheap and convenient and its a nice day out. What is wrong with you?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

UberX is so cheap and convenient and its a nice day out. What is wrong with you?

I have a carryon and a backpack I'd have to stash, and I have free drinks and wifi and a comfy chair right where I'm at.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I live out here and don't understand not working from somewhere with free wifi, paid drinks, and a view of the water with a breeze every chance possible.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

DJCobol posted:

Not a layover. Working in LA this week, finished up early today. Coworker is from Norcal and wanted to get going home, so I just had him drop me at the airport.

I'm not hating on your choice, but this is why I try not to share cars with people unless they are on a similar flight with me (say, +/- 2 hours) otherwise it turns in to a poo poo show and I've seen people have to take $150 cab rides because other options aren't available. My personal best was 150 euros for a cab ride after 8 pm in Catania, Italy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm not hating on your choice, but this is why I try not to share cars with people unless they are on a similar flight with me (say, +/- 2 hours) otherwise it turns in to a poo poo show and I've seen people have to take $150 cab rides because other options aren't available. My personal best was 150 euros for a cab ride after 8 pm in Catania, Italy.

Screw that might as well just rent a car

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My options were to continue to sit at work until 7 ish when everyone else left the office, and make him get home after midnight since its a 4-5 hour drive for him, or just go to the airport, drink, finish up some busywork, and watch "Sons of Anarchy" on Netflix. I think I made the right choice.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

My options were to continue to sit at work until 7 ish when everyone else left the office, and make him get home after midnight since its a 4-5 hour drive for him, or just go to the airport, drink, finish up some busywork, and watch "Sons of Anarchy" on Netflix. I think I made the right choice.

I absolutely agree with your choice, just not the venue. This is why hotels like the Sheraton and the Westin (and the Marriott and Hilton I'm sure) offer day room rates.

I had a nine hour layover at Frankfurt and while my original plan was to go down to Mainz for beers, I didn't sleep well on the way over and had to connect in London so I was rear end tired when I arrived. A day room at the Sheraton with a shower and a nap significantly improved my outlook on life and significantly decreased the chance of me shanking a bitch in the airport.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

I'm not seeing the problem with your decision either. That's what I would have done.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Yeah, sometimes you can't do it. I had a two week trip to Japan once and had to stop on the way back at Seattle for a conference. Didn't sleep well and arrived at 8am and straight to the convention center. I really wanted to go to the market and get some big rear end shrimp to eat but I lurched back to the hotel and slept from 3pm to 6am. Also gently caress walking around Seattle when you are worn out, those are some horseshit grades.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nothing like hitting the Pay button on a flight and getting a web page error. Thanks Aegean!

So I don't think I bought the tickets... but now the price has gone up because it thinks I still have them in my cart. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to book this flight. Should have used Expedia in the first place.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Nothing like hitting the Pay button on a flight and getting a web page error. Thanks Aegean!

So I don't think I bought the tickets... but now the price has gone up because it thinks I still have them in my cart. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to book this flight. Should have used Expedia in the first place.

Part of me loves having our company travel department take care of all the bookings. The other part isn't fond of rolling into Detroit at 11pm for a 7am meeting the following day or flying 3 connections to get from Eastern WA to Detroit with <30min connections and getting in at 11p.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, it's year 3 for me. Germany and Turkey

Yes, we are packing lots of instant noodles and sauces. And if we do run out, we will probably eat Chinese food everyday in Berlin :gonk: This year we already lightened our instant noodle load because there's an Asian grocer in Berlin. There's probably one in Stuttgart but we are probably too rushed to do a pit stop in Stuttgart :negative:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
I don't get it. Is this a money thing or because you get nervous farts when trying to order food in a different language?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

I don't get it. Is this a money thing or because you get nervous farts when trying to order food in a different language?

It's a coworker thing. And money thing I guess since buying instant noodles in Europe is a rip off might as well eat full meals

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For being international men of commerce your coworkers are a bunch of pussies and/or spergs. You can always find cheap eats, though they may be hot dogs or doner kebabs or something similar.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

For being international men of commerce your coworkers are a bunch of pussies and/or spergs. You can always find cheap eats, though they may be hot dogs or doner kebabs or something similar.

Agreed, doner kebaps and a beer are key to survival in Berlin.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Another lovely case of when travel policies get written by people who don't travel. We get $75/day per diem and the change is single meals over $60 get audited, aka hope these morons have fun reviewing expenses for practically everyone in my department. Oh and the CFO will review ALL international travel for pre approval, guess he must have a lot of time on his hands.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

It's a coworker thing. And money thing I guess since buying instant noodles in Europe is a rip off might as well eat full meals

Every time you post the suitcases full of noodles it makes me laugh. It is so ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When people visit us from Japan they sometimes only request only Japanese food. Even though all the Japanese restaurants here are awful and run by Americans. We have some drat good bbq places here but cater it in and they won't even touch it. I don't get it at all.