Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

God drat it, I'm blind. It's all these loving pot plants in my city's rural area making me dumb. :catdrugs:

Also, after three hours of neurotically hand-planting trees and bushes in neat rows, I think I'm starting to understand that whole ASMR thing.

Just wait until you get into trains, then convert your garage into a scale replica of the CalIfornia Zephyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I actually thought he did a bad job with some aspects of the blending in that video. In particular the edges were too hard: Too many dense hedgerows along (nearly) every road, too sharp of a division between farm fields and suburbs. But maybe those are European things, I dunno.

I do like the look of just zoning sparse farm buildings, and the visual effect of brushing shrubs in some "fields." I wonder how functional it is, though, given how stupidly concentrated the fertile ground is in the game and how far service vehicles will have to drive to get to these buildings.

I wish the game just handled farms in a smarter way, like painting field textures as far as 12-16 tiles back from a road if there's room.

e: While we're on the general subject, I get irked by the way cities appear to exist in the vacuum of their region. It's one thing when you have a town of 2000 people, but a city with a dozen blocks of skyscrapers with completely untouched wilderness for kilometers in every direction?

In a way I think SC4's hard map cutoffs worked better for helping preserve the illusion; you can always pretend the suburbs and villages and farms are out there somewhere. In Skylines, you can see the world beyond your city, and it's empty as poo poo.

I don't know if there's a great way to address this. Procedural farms and small towns in the distance that disappear when you buy tiles near them? Some kind of skybox trickery? Honestly, even just letting me build different roads in areas I don't own would help a little, so it doesn't seem like my city is in the middle of a vast gulf only reachable by miles of divided highway.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 23, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretend the cities are in the midwest then and you'll be okay. Lots of major cities in the midwest US have a bunch of nothing surrounding them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, you can't really get a sense of what it's like from google maps, but once you get west of Batavia, IL the "city" just kind of disappears. It's farm houses and corn all the way to Denver.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Someone needs to recreate this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.205226,-111.8782716,3410m/data=!3m1!1e3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

America, your suburbs horrify me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah, you can't really get a sense of what it's like from google maps, but once you get west of Batavia, IL the "city" just kind of disappears. It's farm houses and corn all the way to Denver.
I think he wants farmhouses and corn rather than the vast empty wilderness we have now.

Which is silly. You just need to be okay with the fact that a videogame world is going to be representational, and not all that realistic. Any solution to that minor aesthetic issue would be a shitton of effort for next to no payoff. Building a city in the middle of an entirely empty world is actually really cool and satisfying if you can get over the 'realism' thing. You can get the 25 tile mod and make little towns and stuff in the distance if you really want to make it feel like there's stuff out there.

MikeJF posted:

As a resident of the East Cost... the suburbs of the West horrify me.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

MikeJF posted:

It's really just a big roundabout.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Aliens made that poo poo

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

That is pretty clearly a planned development centered around the golf course and in no way representative of most US suburbs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Efexeye posted:

That is pretty clearly a planned development centered around the golf course and in no way representative of most US suburbs.
Yeah, the real representation is about 4 blocks up. Its... hypnotizing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MikeJF posted:

That's what happens when you don't have to build around a millennium's worth of human history :fella:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's what happens when you don't have to build around a millennium's worth of human history :fella:

I live in Australia.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ok, then change that statement to "That's what happens when you have a country build by the good English colonists :fella:"

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Eiba posted:

I think he wants farmhouses and corn rather than the vast empty wilderness we have now.

Which is silly. You just need to be okay with the fact that a videogame world is going to be representational, and not all that realistic. Any solution to that minor aesthetic issue would be a shitton of effort for next to no payoff. Building a city in the middle of an entirely empty world is actually really cool and satisfying if you can get over the 'realism' thing. You can get the 25 tile mod and make little towns and stuff in the distance if you really want to make it feel like there's stuff out there.

As a resident of the East Cost... the suburbs of the West horrify me.

Yeah, farmhouses and corn would be fine. It's the complete lack of human presence in the landscape that bugs me.

Whether it's a silly concern or not depends on what you want out of the game. Some people want a gamey game with detailed simulation and goals like reaching specific population levels; others like building quirky, fantastical cities as a creative exercise; and some want a virtual train set where they can tinker with their little models and create realistic-looking cities and towns. They're all totally reasonable ways to come at a city sim. I happen to fall more on the train-set end of things is all. Even so it's not enough to keep me away from the game, just a small disappointment.

I did acknowledge it's not something with a cheap/easy solution within the confines of the stock map system, at least that I can think of. I probably will get one of the tile unlock mods for this purpose eventually.

Moving on, it is really weird driving around out West when you come from the US East Coast. Especially in the empty parts of the Southwest, poo poo is so insanely sparse! Towns are 2-3 hours apart and between them you'll see maybe like a driveway to a ranch? Or an oil derrick? Even in the rural parts of NY and PA I've lived in, anything over an hour away feels far. Unless you're driving through a national forest or something, you'll see houses and small towns constantly along every road.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Efexeye posted:

it's also a retirement community so most people commute on golf carts to the course, the rec center, then home. Nobody ever goes in and nobody ever comes out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love browsing the Steam workshop for this game. Never know what you're going to find.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426367760&searchtext=

First comment:
"Every day I've checked the workshop looking for a good Latvian Fish Pavillion. Thank you for finally making my dreams a reality!"

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah, farmhouses and corn would be fine. It's the complete lack of human presence in the landscape that bugs me.

Whether it's a silly concern or not depends on what you want out of the game. Some people want a gamey game with detailed simulation and goals like reaching specific population levels; others like building quirky, fantastical cities as a creative exercise; and some want a virtual train set where they can tinker with their little models and create realistic-looking cities and towns. They're all totally reasonable ways to come at a city sim. I happen to fall more on the train-set end of things is all. Even so it's not enough to keep me away from the game, just a small disappointment.

I did acknowledge it's not something with a cheap/easy solution within the confines of the stock map system, at least that I can think of. I probably will get one of the tile unlock mods for this purpose eventually.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to come off too harshly there. I'm totally on the virtual train set side of things myself, so I understand wanting the right feel from things. I just like the aesthetics as they are now, more or less, and I love making the little towns in the distance myself.

I do wish there was a better form of super-low-density filler though. Farm are as dense and traffic intensive as any industry. I wouldn't mind if farms and forestry needed a lot more space. Like in that aesthetic video that got posted a couple times, but not so utterly pointless and counterproductive mechanically.

It's also really hard to make suburbs like I've known suburbs to feel. It all comes off as really dense developments.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, if the farms and resource buildings were actually huge sprawling affairs we'd have something to fill the maps up with.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Fishbus posted:

Gonna X-post

I did a set of fancy metro stations that come in 2x10 2x3 and 2x2 variants. They're a little more silent and better looking, but come at a little more cost overall.

The workshop collection is located here:

Feedback is appreciated!

Hey man, just looking at this, it looks really great, and the fact that you balanced it in such a way seems great too, good job!

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Eiba posted:

I do wish there was a better form of super-low-density filler though. Farm are as dense and traffic intensive as any industry. I wouldn't mind if farms and forestry needed a lot more space. Like in that aesthetic video that got posted a couple times, but not so utterly pointless and counterproductive mechanically.

It's also really hard to make suburbs like I've known suburbs to feel. It all comes off as really dense developments.

For sure, it'd be great if I could quickly zone huge swaths of farm and forestry and have it look decent/work well in the sim. Part of that would have to be making forestry/fertility resource areas much larger, or making those industries not very reliant on them. (Not that I have a clear sense of how that system works anyway; it's pretty opaque.)

I try to approximate suburban/rural areas (again, based on rural NY/PA) by zoning blocks of 1x1, 1x2, and 2x2 light res. as widely as the power transmission overlap will let me. I guess I could just build power lines to get stuff even more spread out, but it looks dumb to have too many giant high-tension lines running around. Maybe someone will mod in lighter-weight lines? Preferably ones that don't interfere with zoning....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Normal" power lines are a much needed addition.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Eiba posted:

Yeah. Part of the reason for that is the residential buildings often don't really look like your typical north American suburban houses.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Subyng posted:

Yeah. Part of the reason for that is the residential buildings often don't really look like your typical north American suburban houses.

I just opened up my city and scrolled around some suburban/rural bits, and weirdly the 2x2 lots seem to be the worst offenders for this, at least for lower-level development. Many of the larger lots mostly look like bigger single-family houses, but a lot of the 2x2s look like small apartment houses or condos or something. Maybe I'll start using 2x3/3x2/3x3 for this stuff....

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What about using something like this to connect power grids where you don't want power lines:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428813523

There's some other similar functioning stuff on the workshop.

Fishbus posted:

Gonna X-post

I did a set of fancy metro stations that come in 2x10 2x3 and 2x2 variants. They're a little more silent and better looking, but come at a little more cost overall.

The workshop collection is located here:

Feedback is appreciated!

Looks good. I saw them and subscribed before I saw your post on SA. I'm using your recycling center, too.

I'm a sucker for metro stations. There's also this one I really like - office building over a station entrance:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421214457

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 23, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The higher level low density residential looks better because they seem to have more trees, which helps a ton with the overall look. Most older subdivisions in the real world are lousy with tree coverage.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

mr. nobody posted:

I wonder how an elevated roadway for buses only, connected to pedestrian pathways, would work if planned out for a city instead of shoved in later.

Like a hybrid bus/lightrail sorta thing.

I did this and it works really well, at least if you consider month-long queues lakes of people at each stop working really well.

The bus depot (and the stops?) generate trash, though, so I had to give the dedicated busway its own incinerator. Then I noticed that the trucks were regularly coming back home with full loads, so I watched a truck as it went along the bus line. At first it picked up a few points of trash from the depot, but then the line passed through a dense part of my downtown. The truck started magically hoovering up trash from the buildings below. It was almost full by the time it cleared downtown.

It won't help buildings level up, but it seems like a completely isolated road will still collect trash from nearby buildings. Dubious practicality but it's pretty funny.

Fake edit: might be useful for specialized industrial zones?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Trapezound posted:

I did this and it works really well, at least if you consider month-long queues lakes of people at each stop working really well.

The bus depot (and the stops?) generate trash, though, so I had to give the dedicated busway its own incinerator. Then I noticed that the trucks were regularly coming back home with full loads, so I watched a truck as it went along the bus line. At first it picked up a few points of trash from the depot, but then the line passed through a dense part of my downtown. The truck started magically hoovering up trash from the buildings below. It was almost full by the time it cleared downtown.

It won't help buildings level up, but it seems like a completely isolated road will still collect trash from nearby buildings. Dubious practicality but it's pretty funny.

Fake edit: might be useful for specialized industrial zones?

Couldn't you just have a roadway that's connected to your regular network up against another side of the bus depot, away from your isolated busway? Would that allow service access to the depot, or do service vehicles absolutely have to hit the main entrance of a building? It sounds like it'd work for trash if garbage trucks can hoover it up from the busway, but maybe fire/hearse/ambulance access works differently.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Moridin920 posted:

What about using something like this to connect power grids where you don't want power lines:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428813523

There's some other similar functioning stuff on the workshop.

Looks good. I saw them and subscribed before I saw your post on SA. I'm using your recycling center, too.

I'm a sucker for metro stations. There's also this one I really like - office building over a station entrance:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421214457

Ah thanks dude, funnily enough I updated the recycling center last night because I thought it could do with a quick texture update.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Qwijib0 posted:

it's also a retirement community so most people commute on golf carts to the course, the rec center, then home. Nobody ever goes in and nobody ever comes out.

MikeJF posted:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Couldn't you just have a roadway that's connected to your regular network up against another side of the bus depot, away from your isolated busway? Would that allow service access to the depot, or do service vehicles absolutely have to hit the main entrance of a building? It sounds like it'd work for trash if garbage trucks can hoover it up from the busway, but maybe fire/hearse/ambulance access works differently.

Yeah, if I were building it again, I'd make use of the magic trash truck effect to get trash from the depot instead of giving the busway its own incinerator. I'm pretty sure every other service needs direct access to the front of the building, though, judging by the animations and everything.

vv What? :stare:

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 23, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So they are rolling out people being able to charge for mods in Steam? This should be interesting haha

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't suppose there is any way of doing 1st floor commercial, upper floors residential set up that's common in smaller US urban areas?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

So they are rolling out people being able to charge for mods in Steam? This should be interesting haha

It's been like that already for a couple big games no?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

I don't suppose there is any way of doing 1st floor commercial, upper floors residential set up that's common in smaller US urban areas?

Mixed residential/commercial was one of the questions brought up shortly after the game was announced. The answer was no.

Also, common everywhere in the world.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

It's been like that already for a couple big games no?

No.

Well, in a very obtuse way for TF2 and Dota2 and such where people could make models which were then run through Valve for approval and then put up for sale by Valve with a cut of the profits going to the makers, but not in the sense of "Popular Mod has been removed from the workshop and replaced with Popular Mod ++, which now costs $5. Also you have to pay up to find out if it's even actually functional, much less compatible with whatever else you run. Better find out quick because you have 24 hours to get a refund."

Wow.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
That neighborhood reminds me of this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hailthefish posted:

No.

Well, in a very obtuse way for TF2 and Dota2 and such where people could make models which were then run through Valve for approval and then put up for sale by Valve with a cut of the profits going to the makers, but not in the sense of "Popular Mod has been removed from the workshop and replaced with Popular Mod ++, which now costs $5. Also you have to pay up to find out if it's even actually functional, much less compatible with whatever else you run. Better find out quick because you have 24 hours to get a refund."

Wow.

Oh that's pretty ridiculous yeah. Charging money for mods strikes me as really lovely in general. Seems like a cash grab at the expense of totally poisoning the well.

Looks like they're doing it for Skyrim first, we'll see what happens I guess. I think one of the most effective anti-piracy tactics is to offer mod support - I know I've bought a game I would have just torrented just to get mod access. If I knew I'd have to pay for the mods too I'd probably just say gently caress it and pirate the game.

There's also the issue of games getting released bare bones with the expectation of letting mods flesh it out.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 23, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

triplexpac posted:

I would be surprised if CO/Paradox went down the route of allowing people to charge for Skylines mods. I mean, their April 1st update was literally a joke about the Workshop charging for mods.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Oh that's pretty ridiculous yeah. Charging money for mods strikes me as really lovely in general. Seems like a cash grab at the expense of totally poisoning the well.

Looks like they're doing it for Skyrim first, we'll see what happens I guess. I think one of the most effective anti-piracy tactics is to offer mod support - I know I've bought a game I would have just torrented just to get mod access. If I knew I'd have to pay for the mods too I'd probably just say gently caress it and pirate the game.

There's also the issue of games getting released bare bones with the expectation of letting mods flesh it out.
I have a friend who pirated Cities Skylines, and she was happy with having done that until I started telling her about all the cool easy to use mods that were integrated into Steam. She owns the game now. I mentioned this potential charging for mod things and her first response was "welp, back to piracy".

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but people have been saying mods can be removed and replaced with a paid version. Wouldn't that effectively hold peoples save files hostage?

This whole thing sounds kind of absurdly lovely, and potentially removes a huge selling point of the game retroactively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yo do you want a new UI. Check this out.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424995783&searchtext=silicon