Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Really? Maybe it is because revenge was such a better game that it makes world tour look lovely by comparison? All i remember is dropping world tour when revenge came out and never looking back. Its been ages since i played either though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Minidust posted:

It really annoys me that they've fully embraced DLC, yet still insist on a yearly cycle for games. Oh and btw, we still won't let you carry over any created content!! It's obnoxious and has drained my enthusiasm for the franchise.

same but "the games have been very bad for years" for me

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Blast Fantasto posted:

Removing Punk from that game would be a challenge, considering he's the star of one of the game's single player stories.

Just go the No Mercy route and replace him with Sheamus.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I wonder if it would be possible (or any good) to have a WWE game that is subscription-based and has monthly updates, but no yearly re-release. I'd pay a WoW-type price for that, as long as I was getting my money's worth.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I wonder if it would be possible (or any good) to have a WWE game that is subscription-based and has monthly updates, but no yearly re-release. I'd pay a WoW-type price for that, as long as I was getting my money's worth.

I don't know about subscription-based, but I'd like to see something that had a regular DLC schedule that stretched out over a longer period of time. Like, over the course of a year you'd see two "classic wrestlers" packs, two "new wrestlers" packs, a new moves pack, and one that varied...maybe a new match type, or some new arenas, or expansions to the create-a-finisher or story mode. Something like that.

It won't happen, of course. But that's what I'd want.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

ColeM posted:

Really? Maybe it is because revenge was such a better game that it makes world tour look lovely by comparison? All i remember is dropping world tour when revenge came out and never looking back. Its been ages since i played either though.

World Tour was great at the time. Sequels like Revenge and No Mercy improved upon it to the point it looks really bare and lovely in comparison. WHen it came out though, that poo poo was the bomb diggity.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
World tour had regal and flair. Best game of the last 20 years

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DoctorDelaware posted:

I don't know about subscription-based, but I'd like to see something that had a regular DLC schedule that stretched out over a longer period of time.

I would prefer that too, if only because they could spend extra time developing and polishing their games instead of shoving them out the door because of a deadline. Nothing really needs to change in WWE games from year to year except the updated roster. Why build a new engine from the ground up every year if you don't have to? Graphics improve, but texture pack patches can take care of that.

Though I have a problem with annual release major league sports in general. Like how much does football or basketball change every year that it needs a new game and not just a roster update? It's all just because people who are already fans will buy anything new.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

That commentary is still so, SO bad in 2k15 is basically unforgivable at this point. Other sports games astound me with the weird, niche commentary they've bothered to record and program, but 2k15 *still* has those archive classics: "He's putting those educated feet to good use!"

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

ColeM posted:

Revenge takes the parts of World Tour that were good and made them better, and improved the stuff that was lacking. so there's really no reason to play WT because Revenge is simply better, but that's not to say WT isn't really good. All 4 of the AKI engine games released here have reasons to be played.

Anyways while we're on this topic, let's gush more about how good VPW2 is. The shoot-fight mode is actually more thought out than I was expecting, actual takedowns and mounts. I'm not an MMA guy but I won't lie it's pretty fun.

Madtrixr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 22, 2015

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

Revenge takes the parts of World Tour that were good and made them better, and improved the stuff that was lacking. so there's really no reason to play WT because Revenge is simply better, but that's not to say WT isn't really good. All 4 of the AKI engine games released here have reasons to be played.

Revenge was a huge improvement over World Tour, but came up short in two key areas: you could no longer play as Ric Flair or "Sting".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Madtrixr posted:

Anyways while we're on this topic, let's gush more about how good VPW2 is. The shoot-fight mode is actually more thought out than I was expecting, actual takedowns and mounts. I'm not an MMA guy but I won't lie it's pretty fun.

It is so great. I have thousands of matches logged in that. I love that the game keeps full win, loss, and draw stats for each wrestler. The only thing I don't like about it is how god drat long it takes unlock all the stuff in the Royal Road succession. It is the only reason I still have my N64 ready to go under my tv.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

How hard is that to translate? I'd like to get an actual cart and maybe stream some on twitch. Isn't the region blocking just physical tabs?
I have a Gameshark and a DexDrive (lol) so I can transfer saves easily as well.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 stuff

Region blocking is just physical tabs. My old copy literally just has them sawed off, not that I would recommend that if you have another way.

This is a decent translation guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/576850-virtual-pro-wrestling-2-oudou-keishou/faqs/6766

And here is a good edit guide, if pretty out of date now, for all the non AJPW guys in the game, as they are changed visually for copyright reasons: http://web.archive.org/web/20050212214351/http://home.att.net/~jfarnham/VPWedit.txt

The edit guide is in order, but includes unlockable wrestlers and some of the edits have parts that need unlocking as well, so a save that gets you all of that would help you immensely.

Finally booting the game something like 20 times will unlock all the WCW revenge moves, and I think it's 40 times for all the WWF Wrestlemania 2000 moves. I could be wrong on those numbers, but when you hit the right number it will show a silhouette of a wrestler doing a move from that game when you start the game indicating that you have unlocked them.

This guide has some good stuff in it that can be easy to overlook, including how to unlock all the stuff: http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/576850-virtual-pro-wrestling-2-oudou-keishou/faqs/6901

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 22, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I liked that in World Tour you could tear a guys mask off if you gouged the eyes enough.

I still remember the first time I played it, and just being blown away when I figured out the control scheme. You mean you can hit grapple from like any position and do a move?? WHOA

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

In WMMA4 earlier, a guy tapped to strikes in 24 seconds. That's loving sad as hell.

EDIT: Also World Tour was supremely my poo poo. I played it all the time with my cousin.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

remusclaw posted:

It is so great. I have thousands of matches logged in that. I love that the game keeps full win, loss, and draw stats for each wrestler. The only thing I don't like about it is how god drat long it takes unlock all the stuff in the Royal Road succession. It is the only reason I still have my N64 ready to go under my tv.

Ugh, yeah, I tried the "legit" way and gave up three hours in. Single player mode is pretty rear end; if you do well, you never face more than three or four different opponents. And tag matches are a serious pain, because the AI is on your poo poo like whoa the moment you even look at their partner.

The rest of the game is fantastic, though, even if CAW can be kinda limited.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

LvK posted:

Ugh, yeah, I tried the "legit" way and gave up three hours in. Single player mode is pretty rear end; if you do well, you never face more than three or four different opponents. And tag matches are a serious pain, because the AI is on your poo poo like whoa the moment you even look at their partner.

The rest of the game is fantastic, though, even if CAW can be kinda limited.

How do they compare to the bullshit that are handicap matches in No Mercy?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you have the difficulty high, the AI will eat you up, especially in tag matches. If you have the difficulty low, It will just take forever because there are a lot of matches in the Royal Road Succession season mode, and the unlocks require you to get to various points of it with a variety of characters, all of whom you have to start over with.

Tag matches are great in this game bye the way, you will have to fight like hell for your finishes in them, its just that doing a million of them in a row to unlock one guy, a mask and some arm bands will really test your patience.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 22, 2015

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

remusclaw posted:

If you have the difficulty high, the AI will eat you up, especially in tag matches. If you have the difficulty low, It will just take forever because there are a lot of matches in the Royal Road Succession season mode, and the unlocks require you to get to various points of it with a variety of characters, all of whom you have to start over with.

Tag matches are great in this game bye the way, you will have to fight like hell for your finishes in them, its just that doing a million of them in a row to unlock one guy, a mask and some arm bands will really test your patience.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I enjoyed the first one. The next 30 against the same 2 teams, occasionally with Misawa subbed in for one of the members? Not so much.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I will admit that I was not a fan of having to face Johnny Ace and Bart Gunn every other week. But teaming with Vader helps with that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

remusclaw posted:

its just that doing a million of them in a row to unlock one guy, a mask and some arm bands will really test your patience.

I dunno, Juan Cena is a pretty awesome reward for that kind of effort

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Region blocking is just physical tabs. My old copy literally just has them sawed off, not that I would recommend that if you have another way.
FYI, you can remove the tabs from inside the N64 if you don't want to mess with the cart. I'm pretty sure there's also extension carts you can just shove into the N64 and then plug US and Japan games into without issue.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WWE 2k15 is on Steam now. Will release on the 28th. $44.99 right now.

VV Cool, thanks. VV

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 22, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

remusclaw posted:

WWE 2k15 is on Steam now. Will release on the 28th. $44.99 right now.

Go to Greenman Gaming and use the promo code SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON to get an extra 20% off on top of the 10%

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Go to Greenman Gaming and use the promo code SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON to get an extra 20% off on top of the 10%

It wont take that code for me. Am I missing something?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

triplexpac posted:

I read this in a Steve Austin voice.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

It wont take that code for me. Am I missing something?

Try 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Regrettable posted:

Try 20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON

:waycool: Thank you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ColeM posted:

I remember playing world tour and loving the fact that i could powerbomb the giant as rey mysterio jr.

One of my funniest videogame-related memories is coming home to my college roommate working on something SUPER INTENSELY on the N64, and hushing me every time I tried to say anything to him. When I looked at the TV I realized what he was working on was a No Mercy wrestler: completely bald, nude-colored briefs, named "Almond."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Minimum requirement lists directx 11. My old tank may not be up to the job if it wont run in 10, bummer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Neither of those voucher codes work for me (doesn't say it doesn't work, it just does nothing when I click - is that the site itself or a browser issue?)

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Neither of those voucher codes work for me (doesn't say it doesn't work, it just does nothing when I click - is that the site itself or a browser issue?)

Maybe it's a region issue? The one I posted says it's good for 36 days.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Genericide posted:

That commentary is still so, SO bad in 2k15 is basically unforgivable at this point. Other sports games astound me with the weird, niche commentary they've bothered to record and program, but 2k15 *still* has those archive classics: "He's putting those educated feet to good use!"

Chris Jericho ... is BACK ... from HOLLYWOOD!

His motto is Save the Whales, collect the whole set!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Well, I wasn't expecting the WWE games to start coming to PC but I was hoping they would.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Regrettable posted:

Maybe it's a region issue? The one I posted says it's good for 36 days.

On their FAQ it says the greyed out button just needs a space added after it, so I did that and now it says "Unable to add the voucher" for both, which the FAQ also says means the voucher no longer applies for that game. So I dunno what now. :shrug:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

for some reason i got a popup with a 20% voucher code when i either hovered over or clicked on the pre-purchase button on GMG's site, so maybe try that out. Works out as £25 with voucher here... still not sure the price is right for what it is. Also wondering what the * in ALL DLC!* means - Paige isn't mentioned anywhere on the list if DLC so maybe she doesn't come with it?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I know this will be a bad port of a bad game but I'm buying it anyway.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm leaning towards that as well. I'm going to wait until after launch to make sure it's not 100% broken, but I want to support wrestling games on PC even if this one sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gough Suppressant posted: