Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Merauder posted:

It was amazing, and Hearthstone is a shell of what the original was, but is the closest thing you'll get to it. I wouldn't recommend buying physical wowtcg product even if you can still find any, since competing with people is the best part of a TCG and well, you won't find any competition for it.

Well I mean, I was just gonna get some to play with me and my wife and maybe a couple friends. I know it's a dead CCG but that kind of appeals to me in the same way LCGs do.

How was the WoW game better than Hearthstone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

fozzy fosbourne posted:

This sounds like an experience generator:

https://www.gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx

* no zombies but maybe you could sneak some in somehow?

Well zombies are kind of like an insurgency?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the syndicate is cutting deals with local witch doctors

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hearthstone is an ultra simplistic game. Like, if you've played MtG and come over to Hearthstone you'll already have a mastery of the mechanics (even though they're different) because it's just the most dumbed down CCG. It's a fun game to play on the pooper, but it's overly reliant on RNG and lacking in interesting mechanics or decisions. The optimal play is almost always completely obvious for both players so the majority of games come down to who drew better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Hearthstone is an ultra simplistic game. Like, if you've played MtG and come over to Hearthstone you'll already have a mastery of the mechanics (even though they're different) because it's just the most dumbed down CCG. It's a fun game to play on the pooper, but it's overly reliant on RNG and lacking in interesting mechanics or decisions. The optimal play is almost always completely obvious for both players so the majority of games come down to who drew better.

see normal people would just have fun with it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sure. How is WoW different/better?

I mean I'm going to be playing this with my friends anyway, so I'm tempted to buy up a set of WoW TCG for cheap. I did the same thing with 7th Sea and it was pretty fun.

In fact if anyone has a decent set I might be willing to take if off your hands...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

see normal people would just have fun with it

Did you miss the sentence where I said I have fun with it while pooping?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Noting that there are two major Hearthstone threads here, there a a major sub reddit, there've been many tournaments, and there are pro players, clearly this is like 100% wrong. It's not as complex as MtG, that doesn't make it an RNG machine. Get a clue, geezus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Like almost all CCG there is no strategy in actually playing the game. The strategy and decision making is there, but comes before hand in deck construction. Fighting the actual duels is just an exercise in figuring out who planned better before hand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Diosamblet posted:

Finally picked up Dungeon Petz but at first glance I thought it looked too heavy for my group (still nudging them towards medium-weight games). The rulebook is just really long for entertainment/Vlaada value though. I think if I start off explaining pets and their needs, following up with the the turn in order should make sense in context.
Any other advice for teaching this to newer gamers? They've played Lords of Waterdeep so they have a handle on worker placement.

Everything culminates into earning points through your pets, so that's the best place to start - in particular how needs translate to points with buyers and how the exhibitions work, and showing how the different color needs have different common cards and how you know the basic odds of a particular color being a particular thing since the player boards outline the deck's construction. The main board is your basic worker placement bar the group size twist, so they should be able to pick up that part of it very quickly. Just make sure to stress the group requirements with cage and pet buying.

I got Eminent Domain + expansion to the table last night, the scenarios and asymmetrical starts was cool + fun. I ended up winning due to drawing a pro planet each survey - ended up with the ones that provided bonus influence for dissenting warfare roles, despite having mentioned that factoid, along with a couple good researches for more colony and survey techs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Like almost all CCG there is no strategy in actually playing the game. The strategy and decision making is there, but comes before hand in deck construction. Fighting the actual duels is just an exercise in figuring out who planned better before hand.

Something something something Netrunner.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Rutibex posted:

There's an entire thread dedicated to discussing the proper plays in Hearthstone just like there are probably hundreds over the internet discussing MtG. But, Rutibex.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I think you're wrong

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Well that's a hot load of nonsense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yo, normal people don't overthink things this much and just experience a thing we call, "fun". Hth.

Die normie trash

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you miss the sentence where I said I have fun with it while pooping?

Me too, but what do you think about Hearthstone?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't agree with Rutibex but I do hate deck *meticulously looks over shoulder for forums poster Scyther* construction and other pregame decisions, so I generally don't like playing those games. Doesn't help that I've yet to meet a community who doesn't sneer derisively at anyone who owns up to netdecking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Me too, but what do you think about Hearthstone?

I think it's ok

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Personally, I judge the quality of all things in life by how many discussions they create on Superior Internet Comedy Forum Something Awful Dot Com.

The best things in life are apparently Dicks, Weed, Animes, and Trains.

Hearthstone ranks a distant 423rd behind Gains and Antique Firearms.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

The best things in life are apparently Dicks, Weed, Animes, and Trains.

not seeing a problem here tbqh

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Have you heard the good word of 18xx?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

I think you're wrong

admanb posted:

Well that's a hot load of nonsense.
Yeah, yeah I know there is some kind of "timing mechanics hell" game stuff going on, but for the most part the decisions made in a MtG game are obvious ones. Why do you think cube drafting is so popular? Pro Magic players don't take out their tournament decks when they want to play for fun, they draft. Because they know the "game" that comes out of playing their tournament tier decks is shallow and boring, the fun part was figuring out the meta-game and constructing it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Something something something Netrunner.
I've never actually played Netrunner, though it interests me. I've wanted to get into a LCG that has actual players. Theory-crafting the perfect Mage Wars spell book has become tiresome.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, yeah I know there is some kind of "timing mechanics hell" game stuff going on, but for the most part the decisions made in a MtG game are obvious ones. Why do you think cube drafting is so popular? Pro Magic players don't take out their tournament decks when they want to play for fun, they draft. Because they know the "game" that comes out of playing their tournament tier decks is shallow and boring, the fun part was figuring out the meta-game and constructing it.

I think players draft because drafting is another level of complexity, not the first layer of complexity

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rutibex posted:

Please post this in the magic thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

S.J. posted:

Please post this in the magic thread.

this but unironically

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'm really curious what a game created by the readers of this thread would look like (created by poll I guess?). My gut tells me we would end up creating chess, but with the pieces being various figures of dicks and naked ladies.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I'm really curious what a game created by the readers of this thread would look like (created by poll I guess?). My gut tells me we would end up creating chess, but with the pieces being various figures of dicks and naked ladies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

ashez2ashes posted:

I'll make the kickstarter.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

Like all goon projects it would stop being worked on after a few "Ideas guys" get their say.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Don't be stupid, we'd create Chess 3.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

As long as the dicks are communists I'm in.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ashez2ashes posted:

It would be a Vladda game but more anime

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Pro players draft for fun because by the time they show up at a large tournament they've played their constructed deck hundreds of times against every expected matchup. Which they've done because they know how much skill factors into their results.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ashez2ashes posted:

Imagine four meeples on the edge of a cliff...

Texibus
May 18, 2008

ashez2ashes posted:

It'd be an excel spreadsheet where people took turns drafting between two columns, the number column and multiplier column.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

I feel like I'm going to end up getting this at some point, but I watched the Watch it Played video and it seemed kinda dull to me. What makes the game exciting and awesome?

It's a worker placement game where you feel like you're actually building something (a functional vineyard) instead of getting whoosits to trade for flarns to trade for points. There's a real sense of progression from when you're hard up for cash, workers and structures to when you're actively trying to complete wine contracts with a fully functioning vineyard. You get a lot of control over turn order, and turn order really matters because you can get twice the benefit for going first on a lot of the actions.

Plus the Tuscany expansion is one of the most exhaustive expansions I've ever seen and adds a billion new ways to play the game. It could have been like 5 separate expansions but they made it one, and you gradually add stuff in and change the rules like it's Risk Legacy or some poo poo.

[edit] I'm talking about Viticulture if that's not clear

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

And the box is rad too. The whole package is heavy as poo poo.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

bobvonunheil posted:

[edit] I'm talking about Viticulture if that's not clear

Is the deluxe edition where you get both Viticulture and Tuscany any different/better than buying them separately, other than you get a cool box to put them in? I really need to try this game, but I don't know anyone who has it. :( Speaking of Stonemaier games, whoever posted that Scythe stuff -- that poo poo looks amazing and I want to kickstart it right away even though I will probably lose money on it.

Edit: Thanks for writing words about it, also.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 23, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

Is the deluxe edition where you get both Viticulture and Tuscany any different/better than buying them separately, other than you get a cool box to put them in? I really need to try this game, but I don't know anyone who has it. :( Speaking of Stonemaier games, whoever posted that Scythe stuff -- that poo poo looks amazing and I want to kickstart it right away even though I will probably lose money on it.

Edit: Thanks for writing words about it, also.

Looks like they just bolt the two together in the collector's edition, I can't get a straight answer from what I can see online. I don't think Stonemaier are the kind of guys to exclude stuff because you didn't buy the correct version, except for superficial stuff like metal coins maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Okay, so my friend and I have a few days off next week and we're itching to play something tactical/dungeon-crawly/possibly campaign-y. To give you an idea, we're looking at stuff like:

-Imperial Assault
-Descent
-Claustrophobia
-Earth Reborn

What do you guys think is the best game of this loosely defined type? We'll most likely only have 2 players and we don't need it to be beginner-friendly or anything. Love the Star Wars theme of ImpAss, but we're not sure if it's good with 2 players or if it shines more when you can play with more.

Also have heard nothing but praise for Earth Reborn, but that's more skirmish-based instead of having a longer campaign right?. So those are probably our top two, but just wanted to poll the thread real quick before any hasty impulse buys are made (especially if there's any heavy hitters we're missing).