Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

But no, nobody should be prosecuted for literally manipulating global financial markets for profit

It must really get your goat to learn that big banks have a larger budget for hiring lawyers than the DoJ/SEC/et al can spend on a single big bank case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

It must really get your goat to learn that big banks have a larger budget for hiring lawyers than the DoJ/SEC/et al can spend on a single big bank case.

Tax legal services. Surely it costs DoJ/SEC less to bring a case than it does to defend those cases; bring enough cases, at the right legal services tax, and the cases will generate tax revenue in and of themselves from the banks regardless how much the banks outspend the feds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Maarek posted:

So half of this forum is also to blame for drone killings and whistle-blowers being imprisoned because they voted for Obama?

At least their not responsible for nuking Iran if they had instead voted for the other guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is just me spit balling here, and correct me if I'm wrong - but my dog isn't responsible for the existence of my dad in this scenario.

If 50+% of the population voted for [Insert Horrible Person] it certainly would be their fault for anything bad that happened as a result. So blaming them, while not accomplishing much in the way of changing things, is at least not totally out of line.

FYI is this the exact rationale that Al Qaeda uses for justifying targeting Western civilians.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Say what you will about the oil industry and the Bushes,

That they start illegal wars at the cost of hundreds of thousands of innocent human lives

quote:

they don't take oil money to benefit their children's hedge fund manger husbands. This crosses the line, and shows why Americans simply can't trust Clinton to be President.

Ah, of course. That's what crosses the line

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bingo, and speaking of personality/individual character...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?referrer=

This is why Clinton would be a disaster as President. Its one thing to take money to your political campaign for access; its another to take money for a foundation which materially benefits your children in exchange for access. Say what you will about the oil industry and the Bushes, they don't take oil money to benefit their children's hedge fund manger husbands. This crosses the line, and shows why Americans simply can't trust Clinton to be President.

Yeah! And just because there's no evidence that Clinton did anything even unseemly that doesn't consist of speculation from the right-wing hack the Times inexplicably paid for this bullshit, doesn't mean we shouldn't just take it at face value that she's corrupt as gently caress.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
GOP brainiac Steve King has introduced a bill to strip the courts of their constitutional right of judicial oversight.

As a resident of Iowa I am so sorry and I give you all permission to turn this state into the world's largest popcorn tub.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maarek posted:

So half of this forum is also to blame for drone killings and whistle-blowers being imprisoned because they voted for Obama?

Drone strikes were going on before the Obama administration, so that's not really a result of electing him. However, the inability of the public/unwillingness to hold politicians to higher standards certainly is something where partial fault lies with the voters. If you just pull the lever for (D) or (R) without ever considering their positions and never attempting to change the system (via primaries/trying to get better pols elected), then yeah you're kind of culpable. If someone campaigned on the platform of "Kill all Gays" and you voted for that person without even attempting to get an alternative in place of them, then you don't just get to wash your hands of it when they do some terrible poo poo.

e: Obviously there are some allowances here for people who are too poor or disadvantaged to be informed and make informed decisions, but that isn't everyone who is voting in this country.

zoux posted:

FYI is this the exact rationale that Al Qaeda uses for justifying targeting Western civilians.

And? Superficial similarities mean I'm pretty much advocating the death of Western civilians?

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 23, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

My Imaginary GF posted:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?referrer=

This is why Clinton would be a disaster as President. Its one thing to take money to your political campaign for access; its another to take money for a foundation which materially benefits your children in exchange for access. Say what you will about the oil industry and the Bushes, they don't take oil money to benefit their children's hedge fund manger husbands. This crosses the line, and shows why Americans simply can't trust Clinton to be President.

quote:

The New York Times’s examination of the Uranium One deal is based on dozens of interviews, as well as a review of public records and securities filings in Canada, Russia and the United States. Some of the connections between Uranium One and the Clinton Foundation were unearthed by Peter Schweizer, a former fellow at the right-leaning Hoover Institution and author of the forthcoming book “Clinton Cash.” Mr. Schweizer provided a preview of material in the book to The Times, which scrutinized his information and built upon it with its own reporting.

Whether the donations played any role in the approval of the uranium deal is unknown.

Unless your point was to show how easily the NYT regresses to its lovely 2000-2008 reporting, do better

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I am glad the government managed to get their cut. This will surely convince the banks to pay in advance next time so that no unsightly "investigation" needs to happen at all.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Drone strikes were going on before the Obama administration, so that's not really a result of electing him.

Funding cuts, deregulation, and racism against blacks were going on before the Reagan administration, why do we specifically need to blame the people who voted for him for those things? Is your argument that because Obama's platform was not specifically about blowing up people with flying robots that voters can't be blamed for that? What about people who voted for him in 2012? How are they not to blame for all those things?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Say what you will about the oil industry and the Bushes, they don't take oil money to benefit their children's hedge fund manger husbands.

You're right, they just took oil money to benefit themselves, which is way better only if greed is your true god.

Maarek posted:

Funding cuts, deregulation, and racism against blacks were going on before the Reagan administration, why do we specifically need to blame the people who voted for him for those things? Is your argument that because Obama's platform was not specifically about blowing up people with flying robots that voters can't be blamed for that? What about people who voted for him in 2012? How are they not to blame for all those things?

Which was the candidate running in the general election in 2012 that was anti-drone strike?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

Drone strikes were going on before the Obama administration, so that's not really a result of electing him. However, the inability of the public/unwillingness to hold politicians to higher standards certainly is something where partial fault lies with the voters. If you just pull the lever for (D) or (R) without ever considering their positions and never attempting to change the system (via primaries/trying to get better pols elected), then yeah you're kind of culpable. If someone campaigned on the platform of "Kill all Gays" and you voted for that person without even attempting to get an alternative in place of them, then you don't just get to wash your hands of it when they do some terrible poo poo.

e: Obviously there are some allowances here for people who are too poor or disadvantaged to be informed and make informed decisions, but that isn't everyone who is voting in this country.

And? Superficial similarities mean I'm pretty much advocating the death of Western civilians?

I'm saying it's bad reasoning because, for one, American democracy is corrupt as gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

MIGF, your gimmick is fraying, you're supposed to be an anti-populist Democrat not an rear end in a top hat who thinks we need a Republican for the sake of foreign policy.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

At least their not responsible for nuking Iran if they had instead voted for the other guy.

While I completely agree that McCain and Romney were both worse candidates for the Presidency, this does nothing to explain why we have to blame Reagan voters for all the bad things that Ronald Reagan did but we shouldn't blame Obama voters for the bad things that he has done.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Out of curiosity, are there any noteworthy individuals or organizations that support/fund progressive primary challengers against moderate dems? Is that a thing?

It seems to me that claiming a few scalps in primary challenges would go a long way toward sending a message of "Hey, don't loving support poo poo like the TPP you assholes."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Lindsey Graham has weighed in on the deaths of the 2 hostages (one American, one Italian) that I posted about earlier

In his opinion there's no need for review of drone warfare and "The two Americans [who joined Al Qaeda] got what they deserved"

But Obama did it, so doesn't that make it bad?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maarek posted:

They are at least slightly to blame for that policy being acceptable - I however did not indicate that everyone was equally to blame or equally culpable. It's also not something that they really had a choice in when they were voting because either party would have continued it. Based on circumstance, levels of blame can be assigned. The poorest and most disenfranchised obviously would hold the least, while those who are cheering when someone says "Let them die" are much much more to blame. I wasn't saying that all people who voted for Reagan are equally to blame, but there is absolutely blame to be had. Not everyone is an innocent victim.

zoux posted:

I'm saying it's bad reasoning because, for one, American democracy is corrupt as gently caress.

As corrupt and lovely as American democracy is, that's not an excuse to disavow yourself of any blame when it comes to bad poo poo that your elected officials do. Specifically if it is things they are campaigning on or you are aware they are actively involved in. We don't live in a tinpot dictatorship here, those of us who have the means can at least attempt to affect change instead of just saying "Welp, there's no better choice so child death it is"

e: And I'm not even advocating that we should spend our time pointing out how people contributed to [bad thing] and shame them. I literally said that was completely unproductive in my first post. It's just that it is at least understandable that some people do that because blame can be assigned.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Republicans are proposing a bill to extend Obamacare subsidies until 2017, so that if/when the Supreme Court destroys it the fallout won't affect their 2016 election chances.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-republicans-obamacare-subsidies-ron-johnson

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Maarek posted:

While I completely agree that McCain and Romney were both worse candidates for the Presidency, this does nothing to explain why we have to blame Reagan voters for all the bad things that Ronald Reagan did but we shouldn't blame Obama voters for the bad things that he has done.

This analogy isn't valid because as stated, there wasn't a "no drone strikes" option in the election. If you want to argue that Reagan and Carter Presidencies would have resulted in the same amount of deregulation that's fine, but otherwise the comparison isn't apt.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My secret shameful confession: I like NAFTA. People here keep saying it's the worst thing ever, but I am pro-free-trade. It could have bene executed better... but, well, I'm gonna say the same thing about the TPP once that inevitably passes, too :(

The TPP is one of those issues where it could be good in theory but because of the process behind it there's pretty much no way for it to not be awful in practice. It was negotiated by government representatives and multinational corporations, and is being kept under wraps until after the TPA. The leaked portions we have seen so far are basically a goody bag of everything large multinational corporations could ever want at the expense of everything else, even the very sovereignty of the countries involved.

Expecting that process to result in anything even vaguely progressive is crazy person thinking. It would be like letting Republicans write a bill and complaining that the bill forwards Republican interests, no poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotka Volterra posted:

As corrupt and lovely as American democracy is, that's not an excuse to disavow yourself of any blame when it comes to bad poo poo that your elected officials do. Specifically if it is things they are campaigning on or you are aware they are actively involved in. We don't live in a tinpot dictatorship here, those of us who have the means can at least attempt to affect change instead of just saying "Welp, there's no better choice so child death it is"

The electoral college absolves me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Aerox posted:

Republicans are proposing a bill to extend Obamacare subsidies until 2017, so that if/when the Supreme Court destroys it the fallout won't affect their 2016 election chances.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-republicans-obamacare-subsidies-ron-johnson
The Democrats should demand a straight amendment of the bill to fix the verbiage in the bill that the Supreme Court is reviewing. They can't let ACA subsidies become another thing Republicans hold hostage.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

This analogy isn't valid because as stated, there wasn't a "no drone strikes" option in the election. If you want to argue that Reagan and Carter Presidencies would have resulted in the same amount of deregulation that's fine, but otherwise the comparison isn't apt.

The comparison is very apt, it's just much easier for you to see how you might be forced into voting for someone who does bad things than how someone else might do that, especially if those people are wearing the other team's jerseys. The problem is that when you stop viewing The Others as a mass of mean little political hobgoblins it reveals just how powerless everyone who doesn't have a few million dollars to toss around is in our political system. It also destroys one of D&D's favorite fantasies about how once everyone born before 1950 is dead, our populace will be cafe au lait progressives who will all vote us into Social Democracy or something.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Aerox posted:

If there was ever a time for Obama to troll with a veto...

Also, wouldn't that not work? If the SC drops the subsidies they're gone, aren't they?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Revenue from these settlements at least partly go to the same teams and agencies prosecuting them.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maarek posted:

The comparison is very apt, it's just much easier for you to see how you might be forced into voting for someone who does bad things than how someone else might do that, especially if those people are wearing the other team's jerseys. The problem is that when you stop viewing The Others as a mass of mean little political hobgoblins it reveals just how powerless everyone who doesn't have a few million dollars to toss around is in our political system. It also destroys one of D&D's favorite fantasies about how once everyone born before 1950 is dead, our populace will be cafe au lait progressives who will all vote us into Social Democracy or something.

This is a whole lot of straw men packed into one post. At least attempt to engage in a good faith discussion.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Has anyone about posted how hosed Virginia's voting machines are?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://elections.virginia.gov/WebDocs/VotingEquipReport/WINVote-final.pdf
Virginia detected weird errors on some of their voting machines, instituted a security review and found out that they're bad
* ad-hoc wifi using WEP with the password "abcde"
* appear to be running Windows XP Embedded 2002 with no service packs or updates, supposedly vulnerable to things patched in 2004
* administrator account password is "admin"
* rdp enabled, admin shares enabled
* vote database is MS Access, unencrypted, with an open-password of "shoup" (cracked in 10 seconds)
* tries to protect votes from compromise during voting process, but has no protection to stop modification of vote database

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JT Jag posted:

MIGF, your gimmick is fraying, you're supposed to be an anti-populist Democrat not an rear end in a top hat who thinks we need a Republican for the sake of foreign policy.

So he's Dennis Miller then?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

Unless your point was to show how easily the NYT regresses to its lovely 2000-2008 reporting, do better

It wasn't just 2000-2008 that the NYT sucked as a news organization. They were at the front of the Whitewater, Rose Law Firm lynching of the Clintons. They slobbered all over Kenneth Star's knob for years. The NYT has been a poo poo rag sheet for decades that fails to even give cursory editorial oversight to the crap they publish. Who needs sources and investigative reporters when you can pay a hired hit man to do your work for you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

The New York Times' public editor on Thursday addressed blowback from readers and critics over the paper's decision to enter into an "exclusive" agreement with a conservative author shopping dirt on Hillary and Bill Clinton.

"The Times should have been much more clear with readers about the nature of this arrangement," public editor Margaret Sullivan wrote.

The paper divulged on Sunday that it had obtained an "exclusive" deal with Peter Schweizer. The disclosure came in the middle of an article about his book, "Clinton Cash," an investigation of the power duo's connections with foreign donors.

Sullivan fielded complaints from readers over the arrangement, airing their questions about the nature of the deal. Interviewing Times editor Matt Purdy, she reported that no money was exchanged for research on the Clintons.

Here's what Purdy said:

quote:

Months ago, we were given early galleys of the book and offered exclusive rights to all the material in it. We declined because the publisher wanted to dictate when we would publish articles. Recently, we told the author that we wanted to do a story building on a chapter in his book that grew out of work we did in 2008. But we said there could be no conditions on what we wrote or when we published, and he agreed. We chose to focus on the material that we felt was the most newsworthy for our readers. We used the lead time to thoroughly scrutinize information in the book and to build on it using our own sources and public records.

Purdy also told Sullivan that the arrangement with Schweizer "is no different than the way we treat information from any other source. "

While praising the paper for avoiding any financial exchange, Sullivan expressed concern about the opaque nature of the deal.

"[T]he description of the 'exclusive' agreements, and the suggestion it contains that The Times made a deal to stay away from certain story lines is troubling," she wrote.

The original Times article also said both Fox News and The Washington Post made a similar pact with Schweizer. TPM obtained statements by both the Times and Fox pushing back against criticism of the "agreements."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/new-york-times-clinton-book-deal

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Fun fact: reading through the comments I found out that it's actually illegal to be homeless in England due to the Vagrancy Act of 1824, which "makes it an offence to sleep on the streets or to beg for subsistence money".

quote:

Punishment for the wide definition of vagrancy (including prostitution) was up to one month hard labour.[1] The 1824 Act was amended several times, most notably by the Vagrancy Act 1838, which introduced a number of new public order offences that were deemed at the time to be likely to cause moral outrage. It contained the provision for the prosecution of "every Person wilfully exposing to view, in any Street... or public Place, any obscene Print, Picture, or other indecent Exhibition". [2] The Vagrancy Act 1898 prohibited soliciting or importuning for immoral purposes. Originally intended as a measure against prostitution, in practice the legislation was almost solely used to convict men for gay sex.[3] The Criminal Law Amendment Act 1912, which extended provisions of the 1824 Act to Scotland and Ireland, gave further protection to women and girls through the suppression of brothels.[4]

Until recently it was believed that the Vagrancy Act 1824 had largely withered away in England through lack of use. However, in recent years the number of homeless people sleeping out has risen, and the use of the Act has increased dramatically, especially in the Metropolitan Police district (most of Greater London).

In 1988, in England and Wales, some 573 people were prosecuted and convicted under the Act. In May 1990, the National Association of Probation Officers carried out a survey of the prosecutions under the 1824 Act. That survey revealed that 1,250 prosecutions had been dealt with in 14 central London magistrates courts in that year, which represented an enormous leap in the number of prosecutions under the 1824 Act, especially in London.

This is my favorite part:

quote:

Under the Act, discharged military personnel continue to be granted exemption certificates allowing them to appeal for alms under certain circumstances.

Nice work England, providing the model for some of America's worst, most regressive policies.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is a whole lot of straw men packed into one post. At least attempt to engage in a good faith discussion.

You made a blowhard proclamation about how we should blame Reagan voters for all the bad things he did as president was their fault but then pulled some half-hearted bullshit about how there were already drones blowing up Yemenis to excuse everyone who pulled the lever for the guy you felt you had no choice but to support because the alternative was worse. Guess what, that's exactly what the people pulling the lever for the other guy think too.

There are definitely a lot of assholes out there who would love to vote for someone who would turn our country into The Handmaid's Tale. They're not going to be able to for the same reason that Bernie Sanders ain't gonna be president: the people who are actually calling the shots don't want that to happen.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Say a veto happens, what would it mean for PPACA?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

My first impression was this was horrible and the Democrats should do everything they can to stop it but, what would happen if they let this pass and Hillary wins the election. In that event, even if the Supreme Court guts the law, the subsidies are in effect when she takes office and the Democrats still get to campaign on the issue of saving Obamacare. Could this actually screw the GOP in the end?

edit: if a Republican wins, the law is gone anyway; probably

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Brannock posted:

Say a veto happens, what would it mean for PPACA?

I would imagine the Republicans would then blame Obama for all the chaos that would follow the SCOTUS gutting Obamacare.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Maarek posted:

You made a blowhard proclamation about how we should blame Reagan voters for all the bad things he did as president was their fault but then pulled some half-hearted bullshit about how there were already drones blowing up Yemenis to excuse everyone who pulled the lever for the guy you felt you had no choice but to support because the alternative was worse. Guess what, that's exactly what the people pulling the lever for the other guy think too.

There are definitely a lot of assholes out there who would love to vote for someone who would turn our country into The Handmaid's Tale. They're not going to be able to for the same reason that Bernie Sanders ain't gonna be president: the people who are actually calling the shots don't want that to happen.

Your reading comp isn't the best so I urge you to go back and take your time to read my posts.

The sparknotes: I'm not saying all blame is equal or that people who voted for Obama hold zero responsibility for the drone program, but responsibility is based on context.

How hard is it to read?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm hoping that it won't get past the Senate. There are probably some Republicans who don't want voting to extend a portion of Obamacare on their voting record, that combined with the Democrats voting no could tank it before it reaches the President's desk. Voters don't understand Congressional obstruction as easily as they do Presidential obstruction.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't imagine it would get past the House either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Also, wouldn't that not work? If the SC drops the subsidies they're gone, aren't they?

Presumably it wouldn't have the same language as the portion of the PPACA that is at the center of the trial in the first place.

• Locked thread