Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

GunnerJ posted:

Interestingly, you can still download its author's combined weather mod on Nexus for free. This does not seem very well thought out!

I expect the thought out part may translate into a number of mods becoming hidden on the Nexus in comparatively short order.

Midas Magic defaults to $5.99 with a $2.99 minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Red Mundus posted:

Chaos reigns.

Dont forget, pay what you want starts at 4.99!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It's gets even better.

This is a completely unnecessary step. The modder is telling people to do this so that people can't keep playing their free version from before the paywall. If you follow the instructions you lose the free one and have to buy it if you want it again. :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Oh Valve what have you done

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Interestingly, you can still download its author's combined weather mod on Nexus for free. This does not seem very well thought out!
isoku kept Wet & Cold v1.422 free both on the Workshop and on Nexus. Wet&Cold v2.0 appears to be a "paid workshop exclusive".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hahahahaha oh wow.

For once the :nexus: is better than the workshop.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Looks like mod creators get 25%, Valve/Publisher and Dev get to split up the other 75%

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

PRE ORDERING MODS!
EARLY ACCESS MODS!
DLC FOR MODS!

:shepicide:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The line between DLC and mods blurs ever more

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wonder how long it'll take before everyone stops using the workshop.

I wonder how long until mod piracy becomes a thing :psyduck: I never thought I'd have to type that

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

havenwaters posted:

Looks like mod creators get 25%, Valve/Publisher and Dev get to split up the other 75%

Hey at least this is a "gently caress the system" foothold to keep places like the Nexus up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What a stupid thing to do.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898

:shepicide:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This isn't even April 1st?

Holy poo poo. Bethesda's legal team is sure getting overtime this week.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, this feels kinda sad. Especially since Beth haven't been very active in their modding support. Like all of the necessary tools outside of CK have been developed by the community. I dunno, maybe I'm old-fashioned. I think modding should be a labor of love.

EDIT:: Paging Dr Seorin to find out how he feels about all this.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 23, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I just realized something. Some mods require other mods to work. I have one that requires 2 other mods and sure enough under this system I would have to dish out around $13 some-odd bucks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Come to think of it it's even worse that these (largely) disgusting people might actually make some money off this...

I mean I'll use their mods but holy hell, who wants to see arthmoor as a paid professional modder?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Come to think of it it's even worse that these (largely) disgusting people might actually make some money off this...

I mean I'll use their mods but holy hell, who wants to see arthmoor as a paid professional modder?

My dream is that Bethesda hires him to fix their bugs and one of the conditions of his contract is that he is forbidden from interacting with the modding community in any way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898 - this looks so cool too

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

It notes that it's early in development, so this is an 'early bird' price. We are witnessing not just paid mods--but Early Access modding. :kimchi:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GaistHeidegger posted:

It notes that it's early in development, so this is an 'early bird' price. We are witnessing not just paid mods--but Early Access modding. :kimchi:

Fun thing: that mod will break a couple if others that I know of. Sky birds for one.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Was this a future we could have prevented, or was this an inevitability?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

To be honest this is sort of the end result of DayZ's runaway success; as a result of that Bohemia changed their EULA so that they would basically own any mods released. Bethesda probably took one look at the possibility of a mod making them a cool 30 million dollars in a year and went for it.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I'm kind of surprised Bethesda is supporting this. Well, a 3/4 cut of someone else's work is a pretty good deal, but still. Right now it doesn't seem that bad because I never used Steam Workshop, but who knows how many people will stop releasing mods on the Nexus. The Nexus (Or Steam Workshop) should really get in front of this an establish a rating system for paid modders, tracking things like support and upkeep. The last thing a person wants is to buy a mod and have the author lose interest in it when the next AAA game is released.

Also, these prices are crazy.

It's going to be great seeing once altruistic and benevolent mod authors transition to being people who are expected to provide a level of service and quality.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wasn't the Workshop set up to become monetized? Man, I feel surprisingly upset about all this.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
That didn't take long--the comments are so energized that they've now been removed from the main description pane of each mod and foisted into a separate comments tab.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Danaru posted:

we need to go back in time and kill todd howward~

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Danaru posted:

Honestly this isn't really a change for anything, it will just fracture Skyrim's modding community and drive people away from the Workshop. There will still be lots of content made for free and available everwhere, and even paid mods will be free because they are so low on the totem of legal-give-a-poo poo (unless the mod is ripping IP off from a big company) and there is zero DRM on them. They can be freely traded all over the place and now people have a reason to, because paying for mods is dumb/Valve are idiot shitheads/I shouldn't have to pay/ and whatever other justifications people will have about it.

Like people have said, ~pro tier~ modders don't use Workshop anyway, and not all content creators are out there to make money. Especially with a 75-25 split, that's an easy damper on modders with dollars in their eyes.

Imagine the Pirate Bay, but for player created mods, covered in anarchy symbols and skull gifs. This is the future.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
God drat, people are losing their poo poo. This is great. The Unendorsing alone is going to destroy the Nexus.

Just in time for Frostfall 3.0!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Didn't people already avoid the Workshop for Skyrim because of the way it handled certain modding related things?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, this may actually wind up my Skyrim playing. I mean it's probably time to play other games anyway but wow. Trying out new mods was kinda the only thing maintaining my interest and I have no desire to sink money into somebody's half-finished hobby project.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

Didn't people already avoid the Workshop for Skyrim because of the way it handled certain modding related things?

They've removed a lot of the restrictions that kept cool mods away. Which was a good thing, but it was probably in anticipation of this.

Also, how would anyone handle mod piracy? I doubt Valve or Bethesda would send in the lawyers on a modder's behalf, and someone worried about 25 cents on the dollar for a one dollar mod probably doesn't have anyone on retainer.

vv Good point.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 23, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, but if a pirated mod distribution site got big enough, publishers might go after them due to the aggregate perceived loss of profit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mzbundifund posted:

No, but if a pirated mod distribution site got big enough, publishers might go after them due to the aggregate perceived loss of profit.

This will only happen if it's done in a centeral website single hosting server sort of way. A 'pirate' mod torrent being shuffled around is just as safe as Skyrim it self being pirated around.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Alasyre posted:

I'm kind of surprised Bethesda is supporting this. Well, a 3/4 cut of someone else's work is a pretty good deal, but still. Right now it doesn't seem that bad because I never used Steam Workshop, but who knows how many people will stop releasing mods on the Nexus. The Nexus (Or Steam Workshop) should really get in front of this an establish a rating system for paid modders, tracking things like support and upkeep. The last thing a person wants is to buy a mod and have the author lose interest in it when the next AAA game is released.

Also, these prices are crazy.

It's going to be great seeing once altruistic and benevolent mod authors transition to being people who are expected to provide a level of service and quality.

The Nexus is already a part of this. The mod author can direct a portion of Valve's cut to a few places, including the SkyUI guys and the Nexus.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Zeron posted:

The Nexus is already a part of this. The mod author can direct a portion of Valve's cut to a few places, including the SkyUI guys and the Nexus.

Is there anywhere I can read about this? I hope it's not Dark0ne's blog posts because I can't handle his rambling style.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't really care about this either way (if there are bad mods for sale then who cares) but oh man the uproar is amazing :allears:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
And lo, did all of Valve's accumulated good will burn to ashes within a single night.

Jesus christ, it's not even all that great for modders. A 25% cut is not going to be enough to make a living off of considering the general resistance this idea is going to be met with, rampant piracy, so on and so forth.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What has become of Nirn? Dance upon the Towers that that MOD might be reforged in the untimes.

The ending of the mods is early access. AE AJCEA MODA GZALZI sithis-uncapitalised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I think it's really scummy that Valve and Publishers are making 75% of the profit from other peoples works and putting a "Pay What You Want" button that only goes up and uses preset options instead of offering a Donation button. Also the whole mod dependencies also costing money is really loving lovely and should be included with the purchase

• Locked thread