Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zerbin7 posted:

Emma Honeywell made this game for me. It just never felt as fun with her gone. And yeah, that other thing that happens next... It's no apology.

It arguably makes it worse.

She was the best character, and I disagree with them immediately doing what they did instead of holding off until the next half of the game. Not to mention they never do anything special with it. I don't disagree with the concept, just the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

booksnake posted:

Something about that casual spray of stone the Conqueror flicks up at Emma really gets to me and makes me think 'jesus this Conqueror guy is real good at murdering folks isn't he'.

This happened for me when he moved their locked swords into a better position the second time. The first time is where I went 'woah, dude knows actual swordplay.'

The Valeria Heart being bound to Emma makes a lot of sense, assuming that multiple Remnants bound to a single person isn't done (either because of practical or societal limitations) since Dave has the Gae Bolg.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was sure she was going to be killed for dramatic effect the moment Emmy, who is obviously her daughter and her replacement, showed up and I've heard nothing about this game before this thread. I hoped they wouldn't do this, but I'm really not surprised.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EponymousMrYar posted:

This happened for me when he moved their locked swords into a better position the second time. The first time is where I went 'woah, dude knows actual swordplay.'

The Valeria Heart being bound to Emma makes a lot of sense, assuming that multiple Remnants bound to a single person isn't done (either because of practical or societal limitations) since Dave has the Gae Bolg.

multiple remnants can be bound to a single person, but the fact that Gae Bolg drains David's life, it's probably not a smart practice.

Also I find it shocking most people have not realized that using a sword was The Conquerer going easy on Emma, not by choice, but bare handed? he was far more dangerous, I mean at first I thought he used the stone to kill her but no he just punched a hole through her stomach after grabbing her sword out of mid-air with his fingers I am terrified on if the Valeria Heart would even have been able to hurt him.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I haven't played the game before but always been really interested in it. Saga 1 was my first RPG (as FFL) and while I had no idea what I was doing the whole thing was awesome.

Since there's LPs of the last 3 Saga games going on right now it's really interesting to see the evolution of storylines and themes. The whole Remanent thing is such an awesome reference to the Quells and Megaliths of Frontier 2, while the group combat system feels like an natural evolution to the tactical battles in Frontier 2. That and it looks like they actually finished this game (mostly?)

Also, just want to throw in my two cents on The Conqueror. I feel like maybe, just maybe, someone wants his toys back after being away for a long, long time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zushio posted:

I haven't played the game before but always been really interested in it. Saga 1 was my first RPG (as FFL) and while I had no idea what I was doing the whole thing was awesome.

Since there's LPs of the last 3 Saga games going on right now it's really interesting to see the evolution of storylines and themes. The whole Remanent thing is such an awesome reference to the Quells and Megaliths of Frontier 2, while the group combat system feels like an natural evolution to the tactical battles in Frontier 2. That and it looks like they actually finished this game (mostly?)

Also, just want to throw in my two cents on The Conqueror. I feel like maybe, just maybe, someone wants his toys back after being away for a long, long time.

Well this was SaGa Frontier 3 in developmental, so the fact that it continues a lot of Frontier 2's systems and themes would be natural.

As far as cut things, as previous brought up, they intended to have a mode where you played AS the Conqeuror, and there are still remnants (Ha) in the game that would imply party members for him (Like the bosses at the Nest of Eagles) but otherwise, yeah this is a game that seemed to be finished. No moment really comes across as "Ugh they didn't have enough time"

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Press X to Punch Organs Through Other Person's Organs

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

…He’ll reign as the new God Emperor.

Previously:

Chapter XIII: Soldiers of Athlum do not bow to threats! -OR- I didn’t expect such a large party

What is it?
Ahh, where to begin… Here – this plaza, in front of the Valeria Heart – is a very… dear place for me. Quite a long time ago, I saw off a traveler from this very spot. We promised to meet here when her travels were done. I don’t know when she’ll return, but I can’t help but wait. I know that if I wait long enough, someday, she’ll return… However, with the increase in incidents outside of Athlum that need my attention, I can’t very well spend all my time here. That brings me to what I wish to ask. If she returns and I cannot, could you be here to meet her?
Err… I guess?
You’ll know who I’m talking about at first sight. You may as well look forward to it.

Chapter XXII: This… is what Irina’s kidnappers are after

What’s that?
This… is what Irina’s kidnappers are after. This tablet can put Remnants into… a deep slumber. It was developed by your mother.

AAAH! OOUAAAHH!
Dad?!
Hand over the tablet, or he dies.

Chapter XXIII: They nearly killed me in the past -OR- A Date with Emma

You might have heard of Marion Marshall. She was the one who bound the Remnant Elysion to herself and wed the God Emperor. The power she held was extraordinary - the power to erase the bindings of the Remnants and replace them with her own.

Inside me rests that same, terrible power. For I... I possess Marion's Blessing. As does Irina.

They want Marion's Blessing for themselves, right? Then they're not gonna hurt Irina! We still got a chance to save her!
Rush... thank you. I know what I have to do now.

Here. I made it using the tablet.

When you find Irina, I want you to give her this for me.
What are you gonna do, Mom?

Music: A Son’s Loss

- Video: A Mastermind Revealed

Rush…

Mom…

If it weren’t for that Tablet… Emma!

We can’t locate Lord David. Nor can we find Emma’s sword. Lord David lost his mother when he was just a child. Emma was a mother figure to him. It’s improbable, but…

I’ll find him.

This was my mother’s garden. My father burned it when she died.

But… Emma gave it new life. From the day I was bound to a Remnant, I felt nothing but hatred for the world. But through these flowers, Emma reminded me of the good still left in all of us.
So…?

Duke Hermeien could announce his decision to vanquish the Conqueror at any minute. The Lords are sure to gather their Remnants and fight by his side. That will finish off the Conqueror.

Dave, something’s been bugging me. The Conqueror used Mom’s Tablet to change the Valeria Heart into a Talisman, but I thought Wagram had the Tablet!?
How can that be?
This is the doing of one man.

A man using Wagram as a pawn in his twisted game. At the same time, he manipulates the Conqueror into sparking a war, for no other reason than to demonstrate the horrors Remnants are capable of.

Once a world war erupts, the people will no longer believe the Lords fit to control the Remnants! If the descendant of Marion Marshall were to appear after all that, she would easily be given control of ALL the Remnants!

With Irina by his side, he’ll reign as the new God Emperor!
By “he”, you mean…
The Chairman of the Congress: Duke Wilfred Hermeien.
It all makes sense now.

Lord David, I know this is a selfish request to make at a time like this, but you must save my daughter!
I have already promised Rush that Irina will not be a pawn in this war. Please, get up.
Thank you! Thank you so much!

Young master!

Calm down. I am all right.
Lord David!

Emma Honeywell the second has returned to Athlum! Lord David, your orders?

Serve me, as did your mother before you.
Yes, my Lord!

What now, Dave?

Our true foes await us in Nagapur! I will take along only a few men to avoid detection.
Say about 20 or so.
We will attack when the time is right.

We shall avenge her death!

Enough is enough, Dave! I’m ready to end this!

Irina, I’m coming!

The maximum number of unions in your party is now 5. The maximum unit capacity per battle is now 15. The maximum number of units in your party is now 40.
Emmy has joined the party.

As one door closes, another opens. The loss of Emma was a blow, and while Emmy could be seen (and her identity guessed) early on, technically making it not come completely out of nowhere… it still feels a little ham-handed to have her join the party practically before her mother’s body is even cold.

I don’t really think having Emmy come in immediately works very well. It kinda cheapens Emma’s death, and replaces her in the party with someone who gameplay-wise is almost identical, but worse. It does not help that story-wise, I can’t really think of too much that Emmy contributes – she’s just kinda there. It is possible there is some stuff I have forgotten, though.

I mean, even in this scene, her formal introduction to the party, she gets two lines. The Last Remnant is really rather focused. Basically all the cutscenes service the main story, and there isn’t a lot of interaction between the main characters outside of the main story – just a single sidequest for each of them. That doesn’t really help, especially in this case, because the game just doesn’t have a lot of time for side stuff with the main characters.

But it is what it is. Emmy is a required party member, and even though she starts out weaker than Emma left, she’s pretty decent and can surpass Emma given some time. So let’s take a look:

Emmy Honeywell

One of Athlum's Four Generals. Has pledged herself to Athlum, as her mother--and namesake--before her.

Class: Lordly Ranger
Initial BR: BR 33
HP: (461)
Str / Int: (40 / 28)

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter)
  • Power Grip: (Smash)
  • Dual Wield: (Devil’s Due III, Bladedancer II, Resonance Edge)
  • Remedies: (Restore III, Refresh II, Rejuvenate II, Revitalize)
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 45
  • Traps @ BR 57
  • Arcana: Rejuvenating Water

Comments
Like her mother before her, Emmy is skilled in Dual-wielding, and is a good Mystic healer. She also gets two unique arts later on, and can make a good leader. She knows all the ways of one-handed weapon usage, but is best with dual-wielding, so turn the others off. She makes an excellent addition or leader of a combat + healing union. She gets Hexes and Traps, but those probably won’t be that useful.

In this playthrough, the healing Emmy starts out with is higher than her mother reached – specifically, Revitalize. Emmy’s initial strength is lower, but I think her mother’s high stats were because she would be leaving. Her strength is still pretty good for the current party, though.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Unique Arts, Arcana,

With 15 slots in the party, there’s room enough for everyone, although I’ve had to put Leshau in with a combat union. But this is only temporary. I’ll re-arrange the unions before actual combat takes place, and correct the issue of Rush’s union having no Vivification Herb users.

We will not allow her sacrifice to have been in vain! Duke Hermeien's machinations stop here!"
Emma traded her life to protect this country. Now, we who are left must do all we can to honor that. Wilfred Hermeien is the one behind all this. We will find him and we will destroy him. Emma's sacrifice will not have been in vain.
When I first became one of the Four Generals, Lady Emma would bust my hump every single day. It took me a while, but I realized that I really appreciated those words... they're what made me into the man I am today. The Conqueror... that bastard Hermeien... I'll never forgive them for what they did. Never!

Our true foe is the Duke of Nagapur - Wilfried Hermeien. No more will we be puppets in his petty farce. To Nagapur... and to vengeance!
Hermeien used the Conqueror's army to throw the whole world into confusion... that's unforgivable. I'll avenge my mother with these hands, I swear it! Rush, let's go to Nagapur as soon as possible!

Music: Life Without Remnants

It’s gone. Any city whose core remnant has been taken gets their music replaced by the melancholy “Life Without Remnants”.

Mystic Arts, for sure.
Spells, huh? Eh, wouldn’t quite say I hated ‘em…

Um, Rush… Your Bracelet of Grafting… Do you think I could use it for a bit?
I kinda need it right now.
Oh…

Sorry, Rhagoh, you sad sack, but my items are for party members who will do more than warm the bench after a couple token appearances.

Heya boyo. Reckon we might have the time to look for some Thick Beast Hide?
Sure, let’s go.
You’re a big help. Let’s be off, then.

Hey, I need some Shed Husk. If you got time to sit around and talk, you’ve got time to go get some, eh?
Sure, let’s go.
Arright. C’mon.

Rush… Shall we proceed to the field of battle and wreak havoc upon the monster hordes? I… must become someone she can depend on…
Sounds like a plan.
Excellent! My arm sings with the promise of victory!

No questing this update. No fighting. Instead, all that we’ll do is walk around Athlum and Celapaleis and talk to the people.

Unbelievable! Lady Emma… dead!? How could that even happen? Athlum’s Four Generals are the strongest fighters there are… Right, pops?

Before General Honeywell… before we lost her, she was always at Lord David’s side. They must have shared a deep bond… Now that she’s passed on, who knows how painful this all must be for Lord David? I wonder if there’s anything I could do to ease his pain…

But, the Remnant was meant to protect us from all evils threatening us. That… that couldn’t have been mere superstition…

If you go way back to like Chapter 4, there was a shiny object here which we couldn’t get to, because a Yama liked standing near the Valeria Heart. Now we can get to it and discover that it’s a thing for Jorgen, so never mind.

… Hey Emmy, I think there’s something you should know.
What is it?
Once, I talked to your mom in this spot. Emma told me that this is where you parted when you went off to train.
Yes… that was the last time I saw her.
She… she knew that when you returned to Athlum, she might not be able to meet you back here… so she asked me to meet you here, if she couldn’t.
She must have liked and trusted you.
I guess… It’s funny considering how we met.
You’ll have to tell me that story sometime. … So, aren’t you going to introduce yourself?
Huh?
To fulfil your promise.
Oh, right. *ahem* Hi! I’m Rush Sykes. Lady Emma sent me to meet you.
Pleased to meet you, Rush. I’m Emma Honeywell the second, Lady Emma’s daughter. But you can call me Emmy.
It’s good to meet you, Emmy Honeywell.

The toughs who usually lurk in the back alleys saw him and ran off crying! ...I suppose I did the same thing.

Everyone in this city has experienced suffering at one point or another, but now, without the Valeria Heart, it all seems so much worse. Maybe... maybe we're being tested - to see if we can live without Remnants. I don't know what the future holds, but we've got to at least give it a try, don't you think?

It's said the Conqueror's army comes from far to the east, a land called Veyriel. It's a place so remote, they don't even have cities - just scattered collections of shacks. For someone from a place like that to be able to overwhelm Athlum so easily... What sort of person is that Conqueror anyhow?

An'-an' then, the Valeria Heart came whipping down from the sky... I-I think I had an accident...

The Conqueror... He did so many bad things - he even killed Lady Emma - where's the punishment for that, huh? And I believed in the Valeria Heart! I really did, after all this time... Dammit!

Pub Regular: You been to the Town Square yet?
Yeah.
Pub Regular: It's a shocker, isn't it? The Valeria Heart's gone, like it was never there in the first place! That Remnant was more than just the symbol of the town. The whole square is a place of countless memories for every Athlumian... Dammit. Bartender, mix me up something strong, would you?

Are you okay? You look tired.

Try living hand-to-mouth, always on the run, never able to stop even a minute without having to check over your shoulder for -
What happened?
...Never mind. Could you - could you not mention I said anything like this? drat, I guess I really am tired...
All right.
Hey, kid... Your name's "Sykes," right? So your parents're the same as those famous researchers, yeah?
Yeah.
They ever tell you anything about some shady secret projects going on at the Academy?
Bah, one look at your face and I can tell you don't know a thing. Whatever, don't waste your two brain cells worrying about it. I've got a headache... Let me alone for a bit.

Pleasant Young Man: Adventurers have gotten into trading the different loot they find on their trips, apparently. Royotia’s the main hub for the fad. …That’s the story, anyway.
Bartender: How sad. My greatest treasures are the secret feelings bottled within my heaving bosom. But I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world!
Pleasant Young Man: …Right.

…Yeah.
Bartender: Duke Hermeien is a cold and ruthless man. Watch yourself around him, Rush. And, if you run into that Conqueror bastard… get Lady Emma’s revenge!

Without ‘em, the whole town’s become greyer… Damnit!

The Valeria Heart was lost, and with it, everyone’s hopes… People walk down the streets like they haven’t a friend in the world.
…Yeah.
But…this is no time to wallow in sadness! Squeezing out a smile I the job of a merchant, isn’t it? What we’ve got to do is make lots of top-quality weapons and armor, as if to say “take that, Conqueror!”

Sky-Gazing Woman: What’s going to happen to us?
I dunno.

Well that was depressing. Let’s go someplace else.

Friendly Man: Just the thought of the Umbermarici disappearing is depressing. I wonder, are the people of Athlum okay?
No. No, they aren’t.

Is it of those things with all the teeth? Because I get that one all the time.
It's of the day the former Duke Qubine died. In it, I am returning from the palace, weeping as I go... The sun is setting, bathing the whole town in a golden red light. Mother holds my hand, and Father looks at me with a bitter smile... It's been so long. It felt so real. So warm... But, that's how I felt until recently, I suppose.
Until you stopped trying to kill the Duke?
My father, my mother, my memories... All were stolen from me by Duke Qubine. So when he died, it was only what he deserved, or so I felt... Looking at it with a clear mind, I can see that the view then was just as it is now—beautiful.

I never imagined the Conqueror's forces were that strong...! I was on guard duty here while my wounded comrades were brought back from battle... It was like some story about the end of days...
I was at the battle. I saw the aftermath.
Lord Qubine has ordered a strengthening of all forces, so all the shopkeepers have upgraded their inventory. If the Conqueror and his thugs try coming around here again, we'll be ready to knock the living daylights out of them.
I also saw the aftermath of what happened in Athlum. Somehow, I doubt it.

Not even the forces of Ghor could easily take Celapaleis - yet the Conqueror's forces cut through men like tissue paper... The Conqueror's forces must be demons straight from hell! How else could they have such strength? That bright light must've appeared to stop all that fierce fighting... It's only thanks to the Umbermarici that we're still here at all!

Many of the strong warriors at the guild headed to the Nest of Eagles only to come back terribly wounded - or not at all... Ugh, it makes me shiver even to remember it... What are we to do if we're attacked again?
I dunno.

The hell is going on? Some jerkwads calling themselves the Conquerors trekked all the way from BFE to attack us! And where the hell were you, Athlum? Blocking that poo poo is the only reason we keep you around! ...Don't tell me you let the Conqueror waltz through you to Celapaleis just to be a dick!
Why don’t you go to Athlum and ask that question? Go on, try it.

Legend-Loving Child: Th-they brought back the soldiers, an' they were all hurt - hurt bad... *sniffle* But... the bad guys ran away! The Umbermarici scared 'em off, I bet! The Umbermarici always protects us!

General Honeywell of Athlum has fallen in battle... She was well known as a true and valiant warrior. It is a regrettable loss. Here in Celapaleis the ruler does not have anyone to support him. Our strength is based on Lord Qubine's mystical power and direction. If something were to happen to him, who knows what would happen to us all...

The rumor is that there's some secret entrance somewhere in the Amber, but they only let the top of the top-class guys in. Guess I'll just stay here...

You've heard about Siebenbur, right? It's a sprawling series of underground caverns... it's the talk of all the adventurers lately. Some say it was built by one of the God Emperors, others say it was carved out by some massive beast... No one knows for sure. One of the reasons for that is that not so many return from Siebenbur - in one piece, anyway. Whether you think you've got skills or no, be prepared if you end up going there. The monsters there are nothing to sneeze at.

This unlocks the “First Path” dungeon, which sounds to me like there may not be any quests for that one. I should look that up. This conversation only appears after the Nest of Eagles, whereas the one above happens after unlocking the other guild, obviously.

Oh! Fair bartender, my delicate bringer of spirits, did you see my stunning contribution to the city defence?
Bartendress: You were over there.
You saw me cowering under the counter? W-well! I wasn't feeling so well, you see! A bit of stomach flu, that's it! Really! Ahahah... hrm.

Waitress: When the Conqueror attacked, lots of soldiers gathered here in Lamberro District on their way to the battlefield. But only a few returned... Alive, anyway... Oh! But our yamaan regular, he made it back alright! Thank goodness...

The Conqueror's army seems to have two main leaders... One's an armored giant, the other's a woman; pretty, but with a tongue as sharp as her sword. Their positions aren't for show, either - there isn't anyone who's been able to best them in battle... I couldn't leave a scratch on them. The two of them together put out this terrifying aura, and leave behind a veritable mountain of corpses on the battlefield... Those two... they're not the ones to trifle with.
Yeah. It took all of Athlum’s forces combined just to make them retreat. I mean, they took a hit from the Gae Bolg and still kept on fighting!

You probably don’t remember her, but you definitely should talk to her after the battle of the Nest of Eagles.

Sweet-Scented Maiden: ... Fate is a cruel mistress. She snatched him away from me, forever... Before he left, he asked me to forget him if the worst happened... Idiot... As if I could ever forget him...
Yeah… someone I was friends with died in battle too. I’m sorry.
Sweet-Scented Maiden: This is his sword... the only thing of his that returned from the battlefield. Would you take it? I was going to throw it away, but after talking to you, I thought maybe you should have it... Strange, isn't it...

Because she gives you this pretty cool sword. I ended up using it on Rush in my first playthrough for quite a while – well past the time I should have stopped, actually. I think it was because I was trying to find a way to upgrade it, but there are no upgrades.

Sweet-Scented Maiden: His sword will certainly help you protect your friends. I have to believe in that...

Do you know the goddess of Elysion, Marion Marshall?
Sort-of, yeah.
Not even the legendary desert queen could compare to her greatness. It is said her beauty was enough to set even the most stoic of hearts atremble. If only I could lay eyes upon her, even once… Yea, time itself plots against our romance, yet I am certain I can find a way to surpass it…
You’ve got problems, do you know that?

Watch your tongue, boy! You stand before Lord Qubine!

Thank you, Duke Qubine.
Yet, had you not gone to the Nest of Eagles, all of Celapaleis would have been in grave danger. I cannot begin to describe my appreciation for what you've done.

That was a lot of talking. But now it’s time for action. Seven sidequests have just opened up - the last sidequests of Disc 1, in fact. We're almost done. We’ll be starting with the two which give us new party members. Both of them (and Emmy) start out as Rank 33, and they’re both solid additions to the team.

One party member in particular has a fascinating backstory that the game barely hints at. But that’s next time.

A Mastermind Revealed

Discussion Question: How do you think Emmy’s introduction should have been handled? Do you think she should have been added at all?

Next Time: Funny how things turn out, isn’t it?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 13, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like they should have waited a bit, and given her a few more than fifteen words.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Is it possible not to meet Emmy during your travels, so that this scene is the first you see of her?

Also, is there are connection between Valeria Hearts and Vandal Hearts, an other important sword from an RPG, or is it only similarity in names?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah they should have at least given it a dungeon or two to sink in.
Personally, I would have also given her better stats as well. It's an easy way to get players to like the new character more.
Involving her more in the plot would be a good idea as well.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Szurumbur posted:

Is it possible not to meet Emmy during your travels, so that this scene is the first you see of her?

Also, is there are connection between Valeria Hearts and Vandal Hearts, an other important sword from an RPG, or is it only similarity in names?

Talking to her is optional, but she can appear in every city except Athlum and Ghor, so you'd have to be willfully ignoring her and her big red bubble. I'm not sure if she disappears if you leave the city without talking to her. I'd have to check that.

I don't know what the Vandal Heart thing is, but probably not.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Yikes I was expecting more fanfare than that. Emmy's introduction (or lack thereof??) puts a damper on what could otherwise be a great succession / rise-to-the-challenge story.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Discussion Question: How do you think Emmy’s introduction should have been handled? Do you think she should have been added at all?

Permanently losing an unit in a game like this is a sure way to piss off players, so from a strictly gameplay perspective, she's needed. As for her introduction, I'd say that the problem is we never see Emma and Emmy interact.
I'd have them meet, say, before the Emma/Rush duo mission; Emma introduces her daughter to Rush, give us a slight idea on Emmy's personality, then as Emmy departs again Emma makes her "meet her for me" request to Rush.
The scene we got would be fine if it had some extra context; "My name is Emmy Honeywell, you killed my mother, prepare to die" is a valid motivation in fiction since time immemorial, after all.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Talking to her is optional, but she can appear in every city except Athlum and Ghor, so you'd have to be willfully ignoring her and her big red bubble. I'm not sure if she disappears if you leave the city without talking to her. I'd have to check that.

I don't know what the Vandal Heart thing is, but probably not.

Ignoring her would at least make the make the scene funny, like with Cait Sith, but what we got is just weak. Personally, I think they either shouldn't have a replacement or didn't make Emmy "Emma the second" - different name would be nice for a start, maybe a different type class? It'd make the change harder from the gameplay perspective, but this "How tragic that Emma is dead, here's her clone" is impressively bad.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ther valeria heart is also a weapon in Saga Frontier 2.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah doing the swap immediatly is the weakest part of this decision, and nothing really gets done with Emmy, she's a little different then Emma was in scenes, but she never really gets any major plot relevence. It's saddening, I would have preferred them to set up flags because you can talk to Emmy a LOT before she joins, and do her mothers quest explicitly waiting for Emmy.

Honestly there's no reason to not just have Emmy not join at the end of Disc 1 when you go do that final battle. I guess they felt they didn't want her to lose out on gaining stats.

One negative for what is otherwise a really effective moment.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
It feels a bit rushed to immediately have Emmy join the party. I mean, it goes from one cutscene (Emma's death :() to the next (Emmy joining) without anything inbetween (I'm assuming - I could be wrong since I've never played this game)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GeneralYeti posted:

It feels a bit rushed to immediately have Emmy join the party. I mean, it goes from one cutscene (Emma's death :() to the next (Emmy joining) without anything inbetween (I'm assuming - I could be wrong since I've never played this game)

The video was unedited. It goes from Emma lying in state, to David grieving, to Marina revealing who is behind all this to Emmy showing up and back to the decision to go to Nagapur and rescue Irina.

The big problem as has been stated is that Emmy really doesn't get much development at this point, and later on another character ends up taking up the focus, so she's left lacking. I'll try to do the best I can with extra Emmy scenes like the one I put in this update.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maybe it's just cause I'm not playing, but I think the plot is losing a bit of its punch because there are so many sidequests so early on. If they had you on rails a bit longer and opened up the world a bit later in the game, I think some of what's happened would have a bigger impact.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Emmy's first meeting could be reporting to David in Nagapur after laying some groundwork into confronting Hermeien. She's already traveling, she's got a personal stake in his takedown so she has a reason to be proactive and it gives a chance for another "spitting image of her mother" scene if they really wanted to keep that. But then again, she'd have to get the information Marina just gave the rest of the protags somehow first. And I can't fault the timing of what happens here if Emmy came back to Athlum to pay her last respects to her mother and she has to re-enter David's service.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is what I was referring to before. More than anything else, this is what makes Emma's death feel cheap and pointless to me. She's immediately replaced with a newer, shinier version of herself that does exactly the same thing in combat. And when combat is what you spend most of your time on, a couple of sad cutscenes aren't enough to make her death mean something. You just lost a good healer, a top-notch fighter, and a likely union leader. That should hurt. It should take you hours to fully recover from that. But instead, it's like she never dies at all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe you can choose to have either Emma or Emmy in your party at some beginning point and have the one that wasn't chosen staying in Athlum to protect it. The traveling subplot would have to be removed (and really what was the point of it?) and instead you hear from your chosen party member how much she thinks about and respects her mother/daughter. I would think about it more, but I'm going to sleep soon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The truth is that Emma even had she not died, probably would have taken a back seat as the plot further leaves Athlums generals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The reason I think that Emmy is the worst design decision in the game has nothing to do with the narrative. A large part of any character's usefulness in this game is how long you have access to them. There are several characters who are recruited at the very end of the game, and as such they are largely useless. It takes a long time to develop characters, whether you do it methodically or by just using them. So, Emma, the character you have had access the most aside from Rush, dies and is immediately replaced by her identical daughter. The problem is, Emmy isn't just Emma copied over. As far as gameplay goes, Emmy inherits none of Emma's levels or abilities. She has similar stats and access to more or less the same stuff, but you are starting fresh with her. So, you lose one of the core party members just about everyone uses and get a brand new character whose arts are less developed in return. I guess if you never used Emma for some reason it would be a trade up?

What it comes down to is, why provide a replacement at all if not to transplant Emma's stats, class and equipment over?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The reason I think that Emmy is the worst design decision in the game has nothing to do with the narrative. A large part of any character's usefulness in this game is how long you have access to them. There are several characters who are recruited at the very end of the game, and as such they are largely useless. It takes a long time to develop characters, whether you do it methodically or by just using them. So, Emma, the character you have had access the most aside from Rush, dies and is immediately replaced by her identical daughter. The problem is, Emmy isn't just Emma copied over. As far as gameplay goes, Emmy inherits none of Emma's levels or abilities. She has similar stats and access to more or less the same stuff, but you are starting fresh with her. So, you lose one of the core party members just about everyone uses and get a brand new character whose arts are less developed in return. I guess if you never used Emma for some reason it would be a trade up?

What it comes down to is, why provide a replacement at all if not to transplant Emma's stats, class and equipment over?

I actually kind of preferred that. it'd be even worse if she literally came in as a reskin. I mean it's like saying "Oh yeah we didn't like the 30-40 year old woman with her scars so here's her hot young replacement. literally the same but not cut up or old." Again, she just shouldn't have joined until later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

I actually kind of preferred that. it'd be even worse if she literally came in as a reskin. I mean it's like saying "Oh yeah we didn't like the 30-40 year old woman with her scars so here's her hot young replacement. literally the same but not cut up or old." Again, she just shouldn't have joined until later.

Then they shouldn't have made Emma so drat indispensable. The only two factors of how good a given character is are their innate stats/skills and how much you use them. And then you have a character with top notch stats/skills who you will (and sometimes must) use right from the start of the game.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Then they shouldn't have made Emma so drat indispensable. The only two factors of how good a given character is are their innate stats/skills and how much you use them. And then you have a character with top notch stats/skills who you will (and sometimes must) use right from the start of the game.
If Emma wasn't an indispensable (or at least a really drat useful) character, her death wouldn't have had nearly the impact it does for the player. If a playable character's only badass in cutscene/narrative contexts, you would get annoyed at having this "cool" party member be dead weight on your team, and when they're gone you get a sense of relief even, thinking "Oh good, that's one union slot free". If they're useless in both aspects, you go "Oh no. Rhagoh died. How terrible :geno:".

I'm perfectly fine with Emma's death. It stings narratively AND in gameplay, a lot if you've leaned heavily on her as a union leader. I'm lukewarm-to-okay with her getting a replacement by someone who joins who has nearly the same abilities as her. The execution here is terrible, though, and other posters covered that already.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe you can choose to have either Emma or Emmy in your party at some beginning point and have the one that wasn't chosen staying in Athlum to protect it. The traveling subplot would have to be removed (and really what was the point of it?) and instead you hear from your chosen party member how much she thinks about and respects her mother/daughter. I would think about it more, but I'm going to sleep soon.
This one is my favorite idea so far. Have both of them in the party for most of the first disc, with Emmy joining a while after you get into things. Get plenty of time to develop both characters, then after Emma stays behind it's not such a weird shift to have her daughter take her place (or do something else if you developed her differently!). I would probably still keep it forced to be Emma who stays, because given the choice a player would almost always choose the less-developed character (read: Emmy) as the 'sacrifice'. Also giving the player a choice at all would probably set off warning flags in their head, but that's difficult to determine from our standpoint, since we already know what happens.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ramengank posted:

If Emma wasn't an indispensable (or at least a really drat useful) character, her death wouldn't have had nearly the impact it does for the player. If a playable character's only badass in cutscene/narrative contexts, you would get annoyed at having this "cool" party member be dead weight on your team, and when they're gone you get a sense of relief even, thinking "Oh good, that's one union slot free". If they're useless in both aspects, you go "Oh no. Rhagoh died. How terrible :geno:".

I'm perfectly fine with Emma's death. It stings narratively AND in gameplay, a lot if you've leaned heavily on her as a union leader. I'm lukewarm-to-okay with her getting a replacement by someone who joins who has nearly the same abilities as her. The execution here is terrible, though, and other posters covered that already.

This one is my favorite idea so far. Have both of them in the party for most of the first disc, with Emmy joining a while after you get into things. Get plenty of time to develop both characters, then after Emma stays behind it's not such a weird shift to have her daughter take her place (or do something else if you developed her differently!). I would probably still keep it forced to be Emma who stays, because given the choice a player would almost always choose the less-developed character (read: Emmy) as the 'sacrifice'. Also giving the player a choice at all would probably set off warning flags in their head, but that's difficult to determine from our standpoint, since we already know what happens.

I actually liked how Emmy is met from town to town. This game has a lot of characters introduced who don't join until later like Paris. Maybe if you had a mini-quest with her at each town. Emmy's Journey where she is searching for remnants to fulfill the Honeywell family rites.

Also

I love this image, with one character spoiled out, and a monster behind the group.

EDIT: Stabbey if you want me to take this down just say.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 24, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess the idea of losing your stuff without having any input just galls me. In gameplay terms Emma is an asset, no different from your equipment or money. Who wants to lose an asset they spent time grinding up in an unavoidable cutscene? However, if it was just that, I wouldn't really mind too much. After all, there are still more characters than slots and plenty of game left to go. Emma was good, but no one character is all that important in LR's battle system. But then they also jammed Emmy in as an afterthought. If they are gonna provide a nearly identical replacement at all then why not copy over Emma's status to begin with? Or make her differ from Emma, for better or worse.

Edit: I call bullshit, because that image implies someone used Rhagoh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 24, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I guess the idea of losing your stuff without having any input just galls me. In gameplay terms Emma is an asset, no different from your equipment or money. Who wants to lose an asset they spent time grinding up in an unavoidable cutscene? However, if it was just that, I wouldn't really mind too much. After all, there are still more characters than slots and plenty of game left to go. Emma was good, but no one character is all that important in LR's battle system. But then they also jammed Emmy in as an afterthought. If they are gonna provide a nearly identical replacement at all then why not copy over Emma's status to begin with? Or make her differ from Emma, for better or worse.

Edit: I call bullshit, because that image implies someone used Rhagoh.

She does differ from Emma. Emma gains Invocations and Potions. Emmy gains Hexes and Traps. I mean initially they fulfil the same roll but they're two separate characters. And hey I used Ragoh! When I save-edited the game so I could use all the unique leaders. But still!

Have some more TLR art

Emma's sword here looks a bit like Valeria Heart

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Funny how things turn out, isn’t it?

Previously:

Chapter XXVIII: I hope that next time you wash your hands, at least.

Dreaming Girl: Do you remember the bog you passed on your way here? That's Crookfen, the place where we Forest Maidens perform rituals of prayer for the Last Leaf. The Order of Melphina protects us from monster attacks while we pray. It's all so romantic.

Precocious Child: Look at this flower garden. See how the leaves seem to be protecting the beautiful flowers? This is much like the Order and the Maidens. A knight vows to protect a maiden with his life until death do they part.

Chapter VII: This calamity is known as the Collapse

This was once a prosperous town. It was centered around the Remnant of Peace, the Rubber Soul.

Chapter XXVI: My heart was the only casualty

A thousand years ago, there was a great kingdom in the desert. Its military was renowned around the world. And within that force was the queensguard – the Mantroskylo. Their prowess in battle is still sung in legend today. They were heroes who sealed countless wild monsters. A brotherhood who protected their queen like an iron wall. Skilled warriors who could win while outnumbered a thousand to one. However, they were eventually destroyed by their own strength. They turned into monsters, and turned upon the Imperator. The Imperator immediately struck back. After a fierce battle on both sides, the Imperator took the Tao Tie and sealed the Mantroskylo.
Sounds like an old story. What’s the big deal?
Young traveler, this is no simple nursery-tale. After a thousand years, the Mantroskylo have returned.

Chapter XV: Even now, I don’t like to go to the bathroom alone

The desert’s plenty dangerous, but it’s worth bravin’ it for all the treasure hidden out there. Rumor going ‘round the guild is that beneath the Great Sand Sea is the ruins of the greatest of the Old Kingdoms – the Kingdom of Glenys.

Music: The Heaven’s Majesty

Our first stop is the Heavenly Terrace in Elysion. Just approach this Qsiti with the red bubble and…

OW OW OW!!! My knee! I scraped it real bad! Oh, the pain! The agony!!! Someone call the medic!!!

Dude, suck it up.
Are you asking for it!? Yes, I think you are! You don't know who I am, do you?
No.
Well, you should! I'm the magnificent and totally awesome Darien, and I KNOW people! Important people, at that! I have connections! I know the Marquis of Athlum!
Really? I’m surprised!
How do you like that, huh!? We're buds, we're homies, we're BFFL.
I am truly fascinated. Tell me, what is he like?
I call him Dave or Davey, depending on my mood. He lets me, you know.
Do tell us more.
... Wipe that look of disbelief off your face! It's totally true. It's totally 100% not made up!
Of course…
The pearls of wisdom that flow from my mouth are Melphina's greatest treasure. No! Verily, they are treasures to the whole world. The universe, even! Anyway, anyway, I'm going to do you a favor and test you.
Wait, what?
Bring me the famous holy chalice from my hometown. Then I might respect you a little.
I don't need your respect.
P-preposterous! W-why wouldn't you want respect from me!?
Fine, fine. I'll do it.
I knew it! I knew it! Why didn't you say so in the first place? I'll wait here. Off with you. Oh, by the way. I'm not going to tell you where my hometown is. Figure it out for yourself! Haha!

Accepted quest: Darien

Some qsiti named Darien dared me to bring him the sacred chalice from his hometown. Bring it on, punk! ...Wait, where is his hometown?

Shouldn't you be off to Mel... er, my hometown to get the chalice? Don't you want my respect!?

I found out that Darien is from Melphina. Ha! But I have no idea where the chalice is...

Darien is the kind of character who could be really obnoxious if handled improperly. But I think that his over-the-top behavior and outrageous bluster is kind-of charming. This sidequest is also interesting because it’s not about fighting as it is learning about Darien’s backstory. So let’s get to it:

Music: Old Traditions, New Methods

So I heard this place has some kind of important chalice?
.. You wish to know about Melphina's holy chalice, you say? ...It is true that this town has kept a holy chalice for centuries. Your interest is appreciated, but... what do you want with this information?
I don’t suppose I could borrow it for a little bit?
The chalice cannot be taken out of town, much less handed to a stranger. If that is what you have come here for, then I am afraid we cannot help you.
It’s not for me, there’s a guy in Elysion who wants it.
What? You came from Elysion? Then maybe you've seen a qsiti by the name of Darien? I'm sorry, it's a big city. It'd be too much of a coincidence if you did know him. He left town out of guilt after an incident, but everyone's forgiven him by now. Yet he still doesn't return... Even the daughter of that shopkeeper has forgiven him. *sigh* What a stubborn young man...

Farther along we can see a kid with a red bubble, but all he says is this for now.

Uh, hey lady, do you know a qsiti called Darien?

I told him I'd forgive him, but to be honest, I'm not sure I can. It's all his fault that that poor girl...
Which poor girl?
Ah, I'm sorry. I don't mean to rant a complete stranger. But whenever I see Goster, I know he's still in pain...
No, it’s okay. What happened?
I remember that day as if it were yesterday. I’d never seen Goster so angry, nor Darian so crestfallen. In the end, I think Darien left because of Goster. Now that it’s all over, I wonder how he feels about it?

Well, hello there. You're not from around here, are you? Are you lost?
Do you know a Darien?
What? You want to know about Darien? Well... I know that he used to live here, but not much else. Sorry, I haven't lived here for that long myself. My husband was born in this town. Maybe he can answer whatever questions you have. ...Goodness, where is he!? He's supposed to be working, but I don't see him... Ooh, that man is asking for it!

We need to track down Goster to proceed. Luckily there aren’t many hiding spots in this town.

Do you know Darien?
You have questions about Darien? What are ya, his spy or somethin'? Get outta here! I got nothing to say to you!
Could you just-?
Was that so hard to understand? Buzz off! I ain't talking to ya! I'm on my break. If the old lady sees you, I got no idea what she'll do. Leave. Now.

Clearly we need someone with better leverage if we’re to pry open Goster’s jaws.

I found your husband, he’s by the town entrance.
What? You met him by the town entrance? Well, well. So that's where he decided to skip off to today... Excuse me, but I must be off. Someone needs to be taught a lesson!

There you are, HONEY!!!
Ack! Wh-what are you doing here!? It was you, wasn't it!? You ratted me out! Get ready to pay for...
Shut your mouth!
Y-yes, dear!
Not only do I catch you slacking off, but you're about to place the blame on someone else or your laziness!? You'd better get back to work before I get really mad... Do you hear me!?
Y-yes, loud and clear...
I'm so sorry you had to see that. Oh yes, it seemed like you had a question for my husband? Go right ahead, he'll answer anything you want. ...Right, sweetie? Well, my job here is done. Ta-ta for now...
I-I didn't think I'd get out of that alive... Dammit, I gotta get back to work and now I'm stuck answering your dumb questions!? Fine, ask away. You want to know what happened with me and Darien, then?
Yeah.
...Guess I might as well tell you. He... Darien... He killed my little sister. I won't forgive him. I got no reason to. But I can't stand the thought of him dyin' in the gutter without payin' for what he did to her, either... I been waitin' and waitin' for him to come back, but it doesn't look like he is. That all you needed to know?
Yeah.
If you wanna know more about Darien, ask Bino. They were real close. I really gotta go now. See yas.

What can you tell me about Darien?
Bino: You want to know about Darien? Hmm, where do I start? He's a simple guy, but really sensitive. He used to live here, but not anymore. I don't know where he is now.
I heard he got run out of town after killing a girl.
Bino: uh? You heard that he killed someone and got run out of town? Haha! That's a great story. You can't tell, but Darien's a really nice guy. He couldn't kill anyone. There was this one incident, though... Darien left shortly afterwards. Why are you so interested in him?
I met him in Elysion and he asked me to get him some chalice thing from here.
Bino: What!? You met him? And he asked you to bring him the holy chalice? Oh, I get it. He's still... Alright. My grandpa's in charge of guarding the chalice. You can find him around the town entrance. Good luck!

Yeah.
I see. I understand what's going on... ... Fine. The chalice is yours.
Wait, really?
Make certain it gets to Darien. And give him a message for me. ...Or is that even necessary? The chalice may be enough of a message. Never before has the chalice been left in the hands of a stranger. He must know what it means for me to be doing this. Be safe on your journey back to Elysion.
I will, thanks.

Obtained Cracked Chalice!
Cracked Chalice – A holy chalice belonging to Melphina. It is cracked in several places.

I got my hands on a cracked chalice. Is this what he was talking about? I guess I should show it to Darien, at least.

Hahaha! Don't feel bad. I knew you would never pull it off. I could show you a thing or two about...
Here you go.
W-why do you have the chalice? Was it the old man? It was him, wasn't it?! Huh, this thing is... Oh, I get it... W-well, whatever. Props to you. You're tougher than you look. I'm a man who keeps his word. I guess I have no choice but to join your party.
Wait a minute!
Huh? That wasn't what we promised? Really? Oh, well. Bygones. So you're going to come find me in the guild when you need my genius mind, right? Right!?
Reward: 25G
Completed quest: Darien

I handed the cracked chalice to Darien. He looked really surprised, but now he thinks I'm cool and wants to be part of the gang.

The hilariously cheap reward is funny. Head on over to Elysion’s guild to hire him.

Darien

More a danger to himself than to others, this troublemaker is oddly endearing, if very strange.

Class: Scout
HP: (564)
Str / Int: (41 / 27)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike III, Thunderclap II, Cascade Strike)
  • Herbs: (Restorative Herb III, Vivication Herb II, Life Powder II, Restorative Tincture)
  • Lotions: (Antivenin, Eye Cream)
Future Arts
  • Remedies @ BR 45
  • Potions @ BR 53

Comments
Recruitable after completing his quest, Darian is a solid addition to the party. He starts with a healthy amount of arts learned, and he has the second tier of Lotions. He knows a lot of good Herbs, but you should probably turn off everything except Vivification to encourage him to use Eye Cream to level Lotions (important for getting the status-effect removing Lotions).

This is one guy you don’t have to worry about him falling into Scout because he starts out there, and has no chance to get into a Mystic/Balance class. He’s a pretty decent character. Starting out with that stuff makes him a great fit in the party.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Lotions, Items

We’re going to Nagapur, but not for the main plot. So let’s head to the pub.

Trendy Girl: Isn’t that exciting?
Bartender: Memories bear more importance than material objects. However, objects are necessary to conjure up memories.
Trendy Girl: Then buy me something.

We’re here for the woman clad in silver.

Sure.
My homeland was destroyed by a terrible man. I've sworn to get the revenge on him and return my home to its former glory. But I do not have the strength to do it alone...
So what do you want from me?
I've heard that a strong fighter lives in Dillmoor... One skilled not only in combat, but in leadership as well. I want to meet him, and learn his techniques. I am sure that with that knowledge, I could return honor to my homeland! Would you be kind enough to lead me there?
Sure, if you want.
Thank you! ...Oh, I almost forgot. My name is Glenys. Anyway, let's get going to Dillmoor!

Accepted quest: Wisdom’s Echo

Note that before her name is revealed, she is called “Old-Fashioned Woman”. I think that’s significant.

Music: Rolling Hills, Sprawling Plains

Here? This place has been abandoned for years. I was here a couple months ago and there wasn’t anyone here.
I’m sure this key can be of use.
Obtained Plateau Key!
A guest union has joined the party.

Going to Dillmoor as Glenys's bodyguard. We have the key to some underground area that's supposed to be around there.

I re-organized my unions after picking up Darien. Caedmon was requested to lead a union, so I’ve done that, and added Emmy in as leading a fourth. Caedmon and Emma’s unions only have 3 members. Rhagoh and Maddox are still in the active party, but Rhagoh will be gone after this dungeon. Leshau is now back on the bench with the addition of Darien.

Glenys has joined us as a guest union. She uses Katanas, and has One-Handed and Power Grip arts. I’ll probably turn off her One-Handed ones though, as her Power Grip is more advanced and she gets pretty good with Power Grip arts. She’s another good Remedies user, starting out with Revitalize. That brings us up to 4 Revitalize users – Rush, Pagus, Emmy and Glenys.

class changed to Cavalier!

Rush has left the Ranger class behind in favor of the Remedies/Combat class. This was likely to happen sooner or later, and so I’m not bothered by it.

Hey, what are you doing? Don’t touch it!
I… I’m sorry. It just seemed so lonely.
Lonely?
It lost its hometown… just like me.
It spoke to you?
Not exactly, it was more like a feeling. You probably can’t understand.
…Actually, I think I might.
Anyway, let’s move on. The entrance has to be around here somewhere.

‘Course!

We don’t immediately transition into a new dungeon. We can actually walk a little way into this one.

- Video: Aveclyff flyover

Aveclyff - A village that once flourished with the blessing of the Rubber Soul. All that's left today is the remains of an old monastery.

Music: Creeping Shadows

Welcome to Aveclyff. As you can tell from the screenshot, this is one of the largest dungeons in the game. For that reason, I’m not going to do a video of it.

Let’s keep our wits about us from here, okay?
Right…

I found the entrance to the underground area we're looking for! Aces! Now we just need to get to the bottom floor.

Aveclyff is half-destroyed, making what would be a simple journey into a long trip through a labyrinth. We start on the upper level and need to get down to the lowest level. There are no stairs, the only way down is through elevators.

But there’s no way to bring up an elevator from a different floor. On top of that, fallen debris can block the movement, so we can’t always go from one place to another.

class changed to Master Marauder!

That’s the elevator we need, but we can’t pass that gap in the floor, so we have to take the long way around.

We want the left-most yellow line. The farthest left one is a door which is barred shut.

I hate vultures.

As I said, no shortcuts. We can’t get down to the lowest floor.

We need to pass through each of these doors to reach the elevator in the upper middle.

You’re not missing much without a video. Fights are easy to avoid, except around the elevators.

That elevator can never stop on the central floor.

Another gap, another detour.

Finally, we’ve reached the bottom floor.

The games pretty much stop at this point, you’ve basically got free reign to roam around the bottom floor, more or less. There are still some barred doors and fallen ceilings blocking you out.

This happens to me a lot. I’m expecting it by now.
Anyhow, I'm sure he's still here - honestly, there aren't many other places he could go. Most likely one of these beasts is him. Come along, Rush! Keep your eyes open for anything strange, alright?
I’m not sure what qualifies as strange in my life anymore.

We got to the bottom floor of Aveclyff, but I don't see anybody. Glenys wants me to pay attention to any weirdness around us.

This quest is pretty important for those doing a low BR run and those who like to grind. Normally, enemies in dungeons do not respawn until you leave to the world map. Anything you kill stays dead, and once you leave, your chain count gets reset. But for this quest only, there are 20 of these Landworms at the bottom, and after you kill some of them, they instantly respawn. They’re also really easy to kill. Using this, you can grind up arts and stats for your units indefinitely, depending only on your patience for boredom.

I do not have a high tolerance for it. I might try a bit of it for bonus videos to try and grind enough arts out so I can get videos of all the arcanas, but that’s not a guarantee.

Moreover, there are some drawbacks to using this method. You’ll want to delay doing this quest until you have your final party before you start to grind. Some really good party members are available really, really late in the game, and saving the grinding that late is pretty questionable.

Even if you don’t save the grinding quite that late, you’ll still be forced to miss out on two pretty good unique leaders who won’t get the benefit of the grinding, and thus won’t be that useful in comparison.

Because A. I want Glenys in my party, and B. I want Glenys in my party
right now, I am doing this quest.

This is the start of a landworm fight after doing one previous landworm fight.

Once you have a fight with more than 26 unions in it, it wraps back around to A. You can keep on indefinitely fighting Landworms and grinding, as long as you don’t finish the quest. But I’m going to finish it off anyway.

- Boss Video: Mantroskylo (“Wisdom’s Echo” )

Once you have a whole bunch of Landworms following you, the boss materializes and you can fight it.

Mission: Defeat the Mantroskylo!

So this Master Glenys is looking for was a Mantroskylo? But they’ve been gone for 1000 years. How would anyone even know enough about one of them to know where to find this one? Huh.

Anyway, in addition to the Vile Plant Mantroskylo, we’ve also got some Landworms and a Spiritlord. Just no one target the Spiritlord and you should be okay.

I miss Emma’s damage output. She gets cursed.

Glenys does not, however.

So much for that cast of Bluff.

That’s a substantial punch for a normal attack.

Rush’s union is already on the way to kill and then revive Emmy’s Squad, so this doesn’t matter much.

You’ll be fine now.
Thank you!

I can finally get my Morale up.

And the results are clear – that attack did very little.

And neither did this one.

Finally.

Even though only David’s union has been fighting it all this time, it was still pretty low on health.

Which will trigger first, the Omnistrike, or the Blackout?

Oh, a critical Omnistrike. :getin:

21k damage.

And we already have the first Remedy that can restore KO’ed unions. It’s got a huge AP cost, but it’ll get more reasonable as our AP pool grows. It shouldn’t take too long before some of our other units learn it either, since it only requires you to reach Revitalize II and then get a Mystic Chance.

learned Kiss of Life!
learned Crossbreak!
learned Wind Shear II!
learned Restorative Herv IV!

So you got what you were looking for?
Forgive me for being so abrupt, but we must return to Nagapur.
The guest union has left the party.

So the master's famous technique was a battle formation he had created himself. I admit, I expected something different...
It’s not something that can really help if you’re alone, I guess.
Well, maybe someone with your knowledge of tactics can make the best use of this technique. Perhaps you can help me avenge my people, and I can help you accomplish your goals as well.
Yeah, I could use all the help I can get.
Obtained Honor of Oath!
Honor of Oath – Given to those in the queensguard of the ancient desert kingdom.
Obtained Batwings! You’ve learned a new formation!
Completed quest: Wisdom’s Echo

I know I still have a lot to work on, but... Please, let me join your group! I'll be waiting at the guild, whenever you need me.

The person we were looking for turned into a monster, so we slew him and got a formation scroll. Score! Glenys disappeared soon after that.

Whenever I need you, huh? How’s now? Does now work for you? So let's head over to the Nagapur Guild. I guess the Honor of Oath came off of the Mantroskylo, like the Honor of Determination we got in Chapter 16 did.

Glenys

A striking female warrior. Driven and a bit anachronistic. Her heart burns for revenge.
(Voiced by: Michelle Ruff)

Class: Master Ranger
HP: (518)
Str / Int: (35 / 25)

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter II, Cutting Lunge)
  • Power Grip: (Smash III, Crossbreak II, Switchback)
  • Remedies: (Restore III, Refresh II, Rejuvenate II, Revitalize)
Future Arts
  • Evocations @ BR 47
  • Herbs @ BR 55
  • Arcana: Rejuvenating Water

Comments
Glenys is recruitable after you complete her first quest, but that quest is notable for being an excellent place for grinding, and if you complete it, you lose that. But nevermind that, Glenys is awesome, so feel free to recruit her right away. She’s also required for two quests later on. She also gets a unique item that she can use as well.

She’s also one of only a couple Unique Leaders who’s VA’s are known. She’s voiced by Michelle Ruff, who you may have heard of.

Tags: Combat, Healer, Arcana

Glenys in, Rhagoh out!

I can’t thank you enough for allowing me to join you.

Anyway, we’ve recruited all the possible unique leaders for now. We are heading towards Melphina, via the other quest available in Nagapur. That one’s got some really great dialogue.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Cavalier!
learned Kiss of Life!
class changed to Master Marauder!
learned Wind Shear II!
learned Restorative Herv IV!
learned Crossbreak!

Aveclyff flyover
Boss: Mantroskylo (“Wisdom’s Echo” )

Discussion Question: The name thing is probably just a coincidence.

Next Time: Oh dear... I'd already gotten up to 263 fishies, even...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 1, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Huh. I was really expecting Emmy's recruitment to be an optional quest that had to wait until after Emma passed. Emmy just showing up, possibly without you knowing a lick about her, really seems like out of place.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I, too, am BFFs with Dave.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is Rush still on the path for Ninja or is that a lost cause now?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Is Rush still on the path for Ninja or is that a lost cause now?

No, we're still good. Ninja has really simple requirements: STR/INT 59, plus Katanas and Dual Wielding at level 19 and 22. Nothing else matters. I didn't expect Rush to stay in Ranger forever, as Rush is using enough mystics to change him into Combat/Mystic one. It was either going to be Cavalier or Paladin, and he still might stop off in Paladin. Neither one will prevent him from getting into Ninja. Honestly, I wasn't really getting much use out of the Ranger's "Strike from the Sides" command anyway.

Rush is really hard to get stuck into a class, since he can learn all the Item, Mystic, and Combat arts, and use all (non-race specific) weapons. It might take some time to switch him depending on where you want him to go, but he can theoretically get there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glenys is pretty awesome, there's one other grinding location that doesn't require giving up a large chunk of the party. So I recommend grabbing her ASAP anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lotish posted:

Huh. I was really expecting Emmy's recruitment to be an optional quest that had to wait until after Emma passed. Emmy just showing up, possibly without you knowing a lick about her, really seems like out of place.
I was expecting you having to talk to her after the cutscene to get her to officially join up even if she only had a line that either introduced her if you skipped over her red bubbles or a 'hey there, guess we'll be working together now' sort of deal.
Then again I was also expecting her to be another form of Emma ala Jeckyll and Hyde due to the way Stabbey was conveying everyone splitting up so you never saw Emma and Emmy in the same place at the same time, plus they're nigh-identical appearance to one another.

C'est la vie v:v:v

What makes Darien work I think is that as an optional character he doesn't get enough screentime for his crazy schtick to wear itself thin. It's rare that such characters are humerous enough to survive very long in the spotlight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I fired up the Japanese version of this game again today because I was interested in checking on some stuff. It turned out I don't have a save anywhere near the right place, but I was reminded again how good the English translation is. There are so many smart choices in there, especially in the names of the Arts. All the Mystic Arts, in particular, were already named in English, but by the translators' grace alone this version is spared names like "Assault Energy" and "Shine Missile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

I fired up the Japanese version of this game again today because I was interested in checking on some stuff. It turned out I don't have a save anywhere near the right place, but I was reminded again how good the English translation is. There are so many smart choices in there, especially in the names of the Arts. All the Mystic Arts, in particular, were already named in English, but by the translators' grace alone this version is spared names like "Assault Energy" and "Shine Missile".

Amen. The localization is one of the best I have ever seen.

• Locked thread