Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Columbo is not a book and there has not been a novelisation, as far as I know.l

There are a lot of mystery stories that use that model though. First ones were the Doctor Thorndyke mysteries by Austin Freeman, written from around 1907 to the early 40's.. Basically pioneered the whole idea of a CSI-style forensic physician detective, and I believe invented the "see the murder first, then the story is how it gets solved" format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

paint dry posted:

I'm on kind of a Japan kick, and for that reason I started to read Kokoro today. Man this book is depressing

The book is really stupid but cool from a intersection of west and east influences point of view

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm actually probably just annoyed that my copy was awkwardly big

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The true literary counterpart for Columbo is Crime and Punishment (1866) switching the investigated target from the very poor to the very rich speaks deeply about the divide between the American and Russian national character.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Mr. Squishy posted:

The true literary counterpart for Columbo is Crime and Punishment (1866) switching the investigated target from the very poor to the very rich speaks deeply about the divide between the American and Russian national character.

LITTRANS 446: COLUMBO AND DOSTOESVKY - A FANTASIA

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

quote:

On the surface, I was calm: in secret, without really admitting it, I was waiting for something. Her return? How could I have been waiting for that? We all know that we are material creatures, subject to the laws of physiology and physics, and not even the power of all our feelings combined can defeat those laws. All we can do is detest them. The age-old faith of lovers and poets in the power of love, stronger than death, that finis vitae sed non amoris, is a lie, useless and not even funny. So must one be resigned to being a clock that measures the passage of time, now out of order, now repaired, and whose mechanism generates despair and love as soon as its maker sets it going?

Must I go on living here then, among the objects we both had touched, in the air she had breathed? In the name of what? In the hope of her return? I hoped for nothing. And yet I lived in expectation. Since she had gone, that was all that remained. I did not know what achievements, what mockery, even what tortures still awaited me. I knew nothing, and I persisted in the faith that the time of cruel miracles was not past.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

Columbo is not a book and there has not been a novelisation, as far as I know.l
Behold.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Going by those titles Columbo solves the JFK assassination, the Manson killings, the mafia, and then takes on the FBI. Not a bad day's work.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

The book is really stupid but cool from a intersection of west and east influences point of view

I am enjoying it a lot honestly. Depressingly I see a lot of myself in Sensei.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

How mad does this make you, thread?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I haven't read it so I don't know it's quality but it does have Morrissey's cum face on the cover so that's cool

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What are you saying, Morrissey has never come. That is is being worshipped by thousands of Smiths fans face.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

IXIX posted:

Pevear and Volokhonsky are considered nowadays to be the most accurate.

I haven't read their Anna Karenina, but their W&P translation is excellent. It might be worth a bit of research to see if there's anything even better, but if I were buying AK today, their translation is the one I'd get.

e:f,b (a page back)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I thought you were talking about Richard Hoftstadter of the Paranoid Style in American Politics and I was surprised. I wonder if they're related.

I was thinking that too. Pseudo-Conservatives are RUINING LITERATURE

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49lPGmnYDw4

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

doesnt penguin classics publish dracula? cant be worse than that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

corn in the bible posted:

doesnt penguin classics publish dracula? cant be worse than that.

Dracula's good shut up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Dracula's good shut up

dracula is for children and manchildren afraid of sex

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ive never heard Morrissey and much of my experience with him on the internet tells me that is a good thing

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

So I spent the last month or so reading/slogging through Der Grüne Heinrich by Gottfried Keller. It's a massive novel, and one of the last of the initial wave of German-language Bildungsromans about art. My feelings about it are quite ambivalent, because although there were snatches of beauty and brilliance it was mostly concerned with the mundane and quotidian to an almost obsessive degree. It didn't help that there were 30-page tangents that seemed barely related until you got to the end of them. It didn't help, either, that it was crawling along at a snail's pace following a protagonist I couldn't quite get myself to feel entirely sympathetic towards, following his bad decisions (which is par for the course for the genre), which inevitably arise because he forgets the basic lessons they taught him (which isn't).

I liked the general discussion of Nature and Art and God, and I also quite liked his hangups about women not living up to this obsessive ideal he has of them because of the Pure and Virginal First Love he had. What I didn't like was the minutiae and the details, especially towards the end where yet again this somehow-charming guy falls totally in love with this girl in a castle, and she loves him back but yet again nothing comes of it because he's a weirdo. Yeah, we get it. But what really redeemed the book for me was the ending when he decides he has been pursuing an entirely selfish road of being an artist, and has forgotten all the sacrifices other people made for him (esp. his mother). So he gives it all up, he packs in the dream and settles for a life in the civil service, which he finds infinitely more satisfying. Even though he's probably still alone and has all these creative impulses. As an ending it's a huge anticlimax but it speaks a lot to me, it felt much more genuine and convincing than how it could have ended. I think it was a really brave way to go about things from Keller's standpoint.

So basically I like the general idea of the novel, but not really how it went about things. I like a novel about continually oscillating between your options, lurching from one epiphany to the next without really learning anything, and eventually letting go of your naive youthful idealism as the moment of 'maturity', but I don't particularly like the endless near-identical women Heinrich has unrequited love for, the endless 'oh I thought my painting was good, but then I saw Other Painting which was really good' and 'artists are different to normal people'.

So if anybody has some cool German lit recs I'd be p grateful

corn in the bible posted:

dracula is for children and manchildren afraid of sex

nuh uh

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've just read the bit of Western Canon where Bloom waxes lyrical about how cool Faust is for like 30 pages so read that for me and tell me about it thanks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

I've just read the bit of Western Canon where Bloom waxes lyrical about how cool Faust is for like 30 pages so read that for me and tell me about it thanks.

Which one

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Goethe's Faust, Part 2 most especially.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Part 1 has a little black poodle that walks around Faust a few times but as an emissary of Satan each of its adorable pawprints burns with a black flame.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I gotta get to reading that soon

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ooh yeah. I have Sorrows of Young Werther on my shelf but considering Goethe is regarded in Germany as some kind of semi-Jesus then maybe he's worth dipping into a bit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just learned the first draft of Goethe's Faust is published as Urfaust and thats amazing

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just learned the first draft of Goethe's Faust is published as Urfaust and thats amazing

The Urfaust is great. Regular Faust is great too but Goethe softened things a bit in it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The new Harper Lee book should be published as Proto-Mockingbird

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I finished Infinite Jest and it started getting a bit good near the end and then promptly stopped, and continued to be bad until it finished. Now I'm going to read some other things and I'm not sure what yet, but I hope they are better than this bad book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Also in a book which features a grammatical prescriptivist and her stupid genius son you would think someone might use the word ambivalent correctly.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

Also in a book which features a grammatical prescriptivist and her stupid genius son you would think someone might use the word ambivalent correctly.

hai was 100% not kidding about how bad dfw's thoughts on prescriptivism are:
http://wilson.med.harvard.edu/nb204/AuthorityAndAmericanUsage.pdf

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It is ironic that a writer famous for being a Post-Modern poster child was a strong adherent of Structuralism.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

gently caress y'all haters

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

gently caress y'all haters

I like DFW tho, I just find his positioning in the prescriptivist/descriptivist debate ironic

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think that words are words

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I think that words are words

Pre-Derridean thinking right here

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is ironic that a writer famous for being a Post-Modern poster child was a strong adherent of Structuralism.

Err actually he's post post modern perhaps even metamodern and he has ushered in a new era of sincerity in modern literature.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It has done this by never having any character be sincere, apart from the crippled and often portrayed as too stupid to think properly, teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

It has done this by never having any character be sincere, apart from the crippled and often portrayed as too stupid to think properly, teenager.

Don was pretty sincere though, and I think the strongest character in the novel