Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This is great news it means I don't have to wonder if I ever wan to buy a lovely Elder Scrolls game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I do think the current implementation is lovely. Especially there being no $0 option and 75% going to other entities.

Even so the TF2 and Dota 2 workshops have a terrible system where you can make poo poo then people can only vote it in the hope that it will get added to the game as a paid item. But like KQ said, it seems no one had a problem with that before so

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also yeah stop giving money to Bethesda.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean it's not hosed up, I don't really get it. are you guys gonna boycott Garry's Mod and Red Orchestra?

IMO there's a small difference between Red Orchestra, Gmod, and early access fishing pole for Skyrim.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Azran posted:

Even so the TF2 and Dota 2 workshops have a terrible system where you can make poo poo then people can only vote it in the hope that it will get added to the game as a paid item. But like KQ said, it seems no one had a problem with that before so
do the winners not get some form of compensation when their items make it into the game?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Could the fact that you've already stated you don't care about the game have something to do with the fact you don't see a problem with it being microtransacted into oblivion?

it's Skyrim, not Oblivion

(:haw:)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Awesome! posted:

do the winners not get some form of compensation when their items make it into the game?

From then on any time that weapon/item is sold on the market or bought from the store of that particular game they get a small cut of it. They also get a unique version of the item with a fancy special effect but who cares about that

So yeah they do get compensated, just not by Valve specifically.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Azran posted:

I'd love to talk about that because that wedges the stick up my rear end even further than it already is, I get that people whose items are in TF2 make a lot of money, but valve is essentially running a neverending contest for money where people do spec work for them. And apparently now they have a merchandise workshop where you submit merchandise ideas?? I dunno why a bigger deal isn't made out of it because most companies that try to get away with that get called out for it (even the Obama campaign tried to get away with an art contest once). That's where I get bothered, hot and sweaty.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This will make every modding community into the minecraft modding scene.

Also many large mods that are essentially community projects (like many paradox games have) will be less likely to happen.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dunno i guess that doesnt really bother me that much. it's like if they took a vote on the best mods and then made the winner official dlc or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Awesome! posted:

i dunno i guess that doesnt really bother me that much. it's like if they took a vote on the best mods and then made the winner official dlc or something

That's the key difference that I also mentioned in the awful game mods thread that I think separates the two issues; things like TF2 items voted into the game are actually in the game, officially, as decided by Valve based on the votes from the community. Just having the most votes doesn't guarantee it'll get in. Whereas with modding, the price and the quality of the mod are both equally up to the person who made the mod. They decide what they think their mod is worth and that's a problem because it's almost certainly not going to be worth what they think it is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's going to seriously affect the way I play games in the future in a way that's negative.

I'm not gonna pretend like I have infinite money. When I say that I'd have to spend $200 on mods if they all cost $3-ish, I'm not saying that I would spend that money- I'm just stating that that's what my hypothetical giant pile of mods would end up costing.

So, instead I just don't buy mods. Let's say this spreads to other games. Space Engineers- now I can't join modded servers. Cities Skylines- now I don't have UI mods, and all my saves with modded buildings are all hosed up.
New games come out in the future, suddenly poo poo is way different. In a world of traditional-style free mods, I would have bought the next mainline Elder Scrolls and Fallout games no questions asked, after giving them like 2 months to patch out the major warts, because I know that I can squeeze hundreds of hours of replay out of those games thanks to a vibrant mod community. Now I might not bother until they go on deep Steam Sale the next year, if I bother at all, unless Bethesda proves that they've learned how to make a game that's still fun after you learn to see through its tricks.

Yeah, dropping $5 here or there on a mod I especially like is okay with me. Putting a price on every mod really fucks up the "mod salad" dynamic that I usually approach these games with, though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

year199X posted:

The issue is now people are going to put a price tag on something they would have otherwise traditionally put up for free. Most people are going to have a hard time resisting that option to add a cost to their mod, even if it means less people download it, because now they're at least making money.

People absolutely deserve to be paid for their work but the way this system is implemented is super scummy and is going to have BAD repercussions down the line.

I'm never going to have an issue with giving someone the opportunity to make money off of their labor. I think that's awesome and can be very empowering, particularly for modders in developing countries.

As long as no one if forcing me to buy their poo poo. Which does not appear to be the case.

I understand saying 'Mod X is not worth the asking price.' and then not buying that specific mod. I don't understand the blanket statement of 'Modders should not be able to charge for their mods.

A lot of these complaints seem to be from people who have literally never contributed anything to the modding scene pining for the golden age when modders labored out of love AKA when they could get modders to generate content for them for free.

I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to either.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

The main thing about TF2 workshop content is it's basically a mod for a multiplayer game where being a special snowflake is a big deal that people happily pay money for. I'm okay with stuff like that.

When it comes to paying for user content in a singleplayer game, that's when it gets lovely. Remember paysites for mods for The Sims? Was anyone happy with those?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

I mean it's not hosed up, I don't really get it. are you guys gonna boycott Garry's Mod and Red Orchestra?

It's a different situation: Garry's Mod and Red Orchestra are standalone games, Skyrim mods are modifications to an existing game.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

If I'm giving money to a modder for their labour I want to give them more than a 25% cut

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I think the sticking point is that Dota 2 right now borders on abandonware. Literally the only new content patches bring are workshop stuff designed by third parties, coupons for third party tournies and every now and then balance patches made by Icefrog, who isn't a Valve employee. There is absolute radio silence on bugfixing or progress on porting the last two heroes or overall client UI updates/features.
There's only info about the International and their seasonal events have been awful p2w poo poo as of late.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, dropping $5 here or there on a mod I especially like is okay with me. Putting a price on every mod really fucks up the "mod salad" dynamic that I usually approach these games with, though.
To some extent wouldn't the market weed out what has value and what doesn't. Like, there's a threshold that has to be met for payout, and if no mods of a certain type ever reach that payout then those mod developers at that point might have to just give them away, maybe as a driver towards the higher-value mods they do.

Mr Snips posted:

If I'm giving money to a modder for their labour I want to give them more than a 25% cut
I agree with this too. This might come down to each individual publisher that opts in to this, though.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

deadly_pudding posted:

now I can't join modded servers

To be fair even free-mod games need to be better about cross-play, say when you have visual-only mods, or racing games where you can't even join a game if people have a mod or expansion car- why not let them join but they can't drive it? Free ads.

But this is where it could really screw a lot of games.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The good news is Shantae is out and owns and you should buy it

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345820/

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

bonds0097 posted:

I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to either.

Working for company script is the next worst best thing!

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Azran posted:

I think the sticking point is that Dota 2 right now borders on abandonware.

lol what

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Azran posted:

I think the sticking point is that Dota 2 right now borders on abandonware. Literally the only new content patches bring are workshop stuff designed by third parties, coupons for third party tournies
This is because Valve are porting the game to a whole new engine. They warned people about this in December, well in advance.

Azran posted:

and every now and then balance patches made by Icefrog, who isn't a Valve employee.
Yes he is.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Azran posted:

I think the sticking point is that Dota 2 right now borders on abandonware. Literally the only new content patches bring are workshop stuff designed by third parties, coupons for third party tournies and every now and then balance patches made by Icefrog, who isn't a Valve employee. There is absolute radio silence on bugfixing or progress on porting the last two heroes or overall client UI updates/features.
There's only info about the International and their seasonal events have been awful p2w poo poo as of late.

Really, I thought Dota2 was their current baby. Wasn't icefrog hired by Valve? Wasn't he the basis for their win vs. Blizz over the dota name?

e: oh.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
The backlash is fierce:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430148327&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430756460&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430749163&searchtext=

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Insanity aside, I would totally give a few bucks to the group that created Nehrim, the total overhaul for Oblivion. They are planning on releasing the sequel, Enderal, Q3 this year.

Also I am caving and buying NecroDancer shortly. Kraggered again!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Reminder that Counter Strike and Killing Floor are mods people have paid money for during a long rear end time.

Wait poo poo he is a Valve employee? Well drat I'll be. My bad. I didn't know they were porting the game to another engine. My point is Valve sucks at communication.

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 23, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

To some extent wouldn't the market weed out what has value and what doesn't. Like, there's a threshold that has to be met for payout, and if no mods of a certain type ever reach that payout then those mod developers at that point might have to just give them away, maybe as a driver towards the higher-value mods they do.

I agree with this too. This might come down to each individual publisher that opts in to this, though.

I think you're underestimating the ability of modders to be petty shits. See the aforementioned GateGate, and like every Minecraft mod. This isn't like their day job- I could see most of them being totally happy saying "I don't care if I've sat at zero downloads for the last 3 months, I deserve at least 25 cents from every user after Valve takes their cut. Even if there are zero users :colbert:"
This isn't like some kind of saddest craft fair, where the modder keeps knocking off the price 10 cents at a time over the course of the day, until eventually they put it on the lawn with a big "FREE" sign as the sun sets because nobody wanted to pay for their macaroni sculpture or whatever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Azran posted:

Reminder that Counter Strike and Killing Floor are mods people have paid money for during a long rear end time.
Final Doom was released in 1996, an even longer-rear end time ago.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You are assuming that the workshop is actually some sort of free market, which it isn't. Publisher make money off for-pay mods, they don't make money off free ones. They are going to actively have for-pay mods promoted, and free mods pushed down or removed entirely.

If you don't see how this whole setup is just absolutely horrible for everyone you just aren't thinking Big Business enough.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Azran posted:

You're right, a new companion is comparable to a total conversion that has little to do with the original game besides guns.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I support a system that allows me to donate money to the makers of good mods.

The current implementation is a pile of poo poo that undeservedly rewards Bethesda a lot more than it rewards modders.

Azran posted:

Wait poo poo he is a Valve employee? Well drat I'll be. My bad. I didn't know they were porting the game to another engine. My point is Valve sucks at communication.

CS and Killing Floor are standalone games that use the original game's engine and possibly its assets. They're not even alternate game modes or variations on the gameplay of HL and UT2k4 respectively.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Azran posted:

reminder that counter strike and killing floor are total conversion mods that become fully standalone paid games and don't rely on another game to function

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not going to spend a single cent buying a lovely mod but I'm considering making my own lovely mods to see if I can't get a couple bucks off this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Also maybe Valve/Bethsoft shouldn't receive three quarters of the payment for doing next to nothing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

New Concept Hole posted:

Working for company script is the next worst best thing!

Yeah, but that's up to the modder. They decide whether the cut they're gonna get is worth their time. In the case of Skyrm, all that labor is a sunk cost since the mod scene is already well established. For a new game, modders might decide that 25% is not worth their time and so publishers will be less rear end in a top hat-ish about it.

That said, saying "I'm not going to pay a dollar for this because I don't think it's fair for you to only receive 25 cents. So instead you get zero." doesn't really help modders much.

quote:

If you don't see how this whole setup is just absolutely horrible for everyone you just aren't thinking Big Business enough.

All these, "If you don't agree with me then you're not thinking about it correctly." arguments are starting to get annoying. I don't suppose it occurs to anyone that they are perhaps not The Way, The Truth and Light? We're all just idiots spouting our meaningless and mostly knowledge-less opinions around, can we at least be a little more self-aware about it?

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

This isn't like some kind of saddest craft fair, where the modder keeps knocking off the price 10 cents at a time over the course of the day, until eventually they put it on the lawn with a big "FREE" sign as the sun sets because nobody wanted to pay for their macaroni sculpture or whatever.
Boob mods for pc games is the modern day macaroni sculpture if you think about it

I wanna see what devolver or like, the gunpoint guy, would ask for a cut because I imagine it'd be a lot smaller than what Bethesda is asking.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 23, 2015

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Azran posted:

Yeah adding a sword from dota2 into Skyrim is exactly the same as making Half-Life into Counter-Strike. Also, evidently it's only 44% 37%? whatever the difference in the storefront cut versus the workshop cut is as rewarding!

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 23, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Azran posted:

Wanna jump on this pile.

This just in: I can't believe they're charging us money for that Unreal Tournament 3 mod, Batman: Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

deadly_pudding posted:

Wanna jump on this pile.

This just in: I can't believe they're charging us money for that Unreal Tournament 3 mod, Batman: Arkham City.

This Gears of War mod is trash, Epic should sue!

• Locked thread