Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Everyone was worried that Tom Wheeler's history would make him side with cable companies and telcos, but it looks like it left a bad taste in his mouth.

Its been really suprising how much Wheeler has worked against his previous industry and more in favor of the public view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

All LSU needs to do is include elimination of football in the paperwork and Jindal will be tarred, feathered, and dumped in a bayou.
Colleges are (supposedly) full of smart people, surely someone there understands they have something to bargain with.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Unzip and Attack posted:

Getting UBL and drawing down the wars will also be huge. The narrative of "Bush poo poo the bed, Obama cleaned it up" is pretty much how history is going to remember the first two decades of this century.
If you factor in foreign policy Obama might top LBJ overall, for obvious reasons.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Petraeus sentence handed down: 2 years probation, $100,000 fine

Should have been given more time than Manning IMO.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Maarek posted:

flying killbots

Why all the emphasis on drones? I don't see any convincing reason there'd be fewer targeted killings without them, and using drones minimizes the public pressure to escalate because "we can't let our heroes die in vain :bahgawd:".
Also drones have huge potential civilian applications compared to other military technology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

For the record the Obama administration has given people effective life sentences for less than he did.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Why all the emphasis on drones? I don't see any convincing reason there'd be fewer targeted killings without them, and using drones minimizes the public pressure to escalate because "we can't let our heroes die in vain :bahgawd:".
Also drones have huge potential civilian applications compared to other military technology.

Because some people believe that instead drones make it easy to give the go ahead for a strike because you know no US lives are in danger.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
People use terms like "flying killbots" to describe them. It's pretty self-evident what the fears stem from (hint: it isn't rational deliberation).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

JT Jag posted:

If you factor in foreign policy Obama might top LBJ overall, for obvious reasons.

"Not doing Vietnam" is an accomplishment shared by every modern President, except George W. Bush*.

*Arguably Nixon too, but tough to say since he inherited it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Colleges are (supposedly) full of smart people, surely someone there understands they have something to bargain with.

Football at major schools is supposedly self funding and often pays back into general revenues, or so they say, at least. How much of that is an accounting lie I have no idea. But with TV contacts and licensing deals and bowl payouts and of course ticket sales and concession contracts I could believe it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

James Garfield posted:

It's not the drones themselves that are the problem, so much as the eagerness with which they are used for targeted killings.

ReidRansom posted:

Football at major schools is supposedly self funding and often pays back into general revenues, or so they say, at least. How much of that is an accounting lie I have no idea. But with TV contacts and licensing deals and bowl payouts and of course ticket sales and concession contracts I could believe it.
That's a half lie. Football at most major schools is definitely self-funding, but it is nearly always the case that the money generated by a school's athletic department goes back into athletic department and not the general fund of the university.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 23, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

So...effectively no punishment.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Not doing Vietnam" is an accomplishment shared by every modern President, except George W. Bush*.

I think campaigning on ending the war but then escalating it is pretty heinous and enough to include Nixon with LBJ and Bush there

I mean yes it was less ground troops and more massive bombing campaigns but that's still war

One could make the same argument about Obama I guess

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

He got into office promising to get end the war (albeit "with honor") but was scheming to expand it even before he took office. No way in hell Nixon gets a pass.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Because some people believe that instead drones make it easy to give the go ahead for a strike because you know no US lives are in danger.

Yeah but on the flip side a drone can loiter over a target area much longer and wait for a better time than just dropping a bomb the second it shows up since there's actually a pilot inside. I mean yeah, weddings getting blown the gently caress up obviously needs to be cut down but the ability for drones to loiter over an area far longer than most planes can in addition to giving zero fucks about pilot safety means that they're both gathering intel and the larger/later drones can act on that instead of making strikes against people that are either no longer there or moved a meeting because of the intelligence to strike lag.

Technically Eisenhower started it, Kennedy inherited it, and LBJ expanded it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I think campaigning on ending the war but then escalating it is pretty heinous and enough to include Nixon with LBJ and Bush there

I mean yes it was less ground troops and more massive bombing campaigns but that's still war

Nixon's foreign policy record is really up and down. Of course the reapproach of China is the highlight, but then you have the continuation of Vietnam and the fact that Nixon was a cold warrior who redoubled US activities in South America, which saw multiple elected governments toppled with CIA support under his administration.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nixon sabotaged peace talks during the election, so he really has only himself to blame for inheriting it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

When someone says that colleges have smart people they aren't talking about the administration.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

If Obama had, say, secretly staged massive attacks on Syria back in 2010 or so, then perhaps.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If Obama had, say, secretly staged massive attacks on Syria back in 2010 or so, then perhaps.
The good old days before the internet and social media, when you could conduct a massive bombing campaign of a country and maintain a complete news blackout on the subject at home.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

When someone says that colleges have smart people they aren't talking about the administration.

I tend to think it's more the case that public universities are at the behest of their states' legislatures and often find their hands tied.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

The good old days before the internet and social media, when you could conduct a massive bombing campaign of a country and maintain a complete news blackout on the subject at home.

Now you have to go through all the effort of wagging the dog every single time.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

James Garfield posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama is using drones to blow people up" but "Obama is using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

So...effectively no punishment.

Patraeus makes more than that in annual retirement pay. So...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Remember when Patraeus was seen as a serious potential Democratic presidential candidate

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Remember when Patraeus was seen as a serious potential Democratic presidential candidate

What seriously?

He never struck me as liberal. Mullen on the other hand...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

When was this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boon posted:

What seriously?

Hillary never struck me as liberal. Warren on the other hand...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Comcast is giving up its attempt to merge with TWC, which is another win for the Obama Administration's revitalization of antitrust enforcement. The deal probably would have sailed through the Bush DOJ.

edit: Actually it looks like it was the FCC that got out the first "get hosed, we're rejecting this"

This is great news. I am not in love with TWC, it's customer service record, nor the way they are slow to offer increased services depending on if Google is in the area, that said they have been a much better company than many of the horror stories people have peddled about Comcast for years. What an awful mess that would have led to. I'm sure Comcast will try again in some form. Hope Obama's anti-trust influences rub off on Clinton.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

I don't remember musings about his potential as being particularly serious.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Maarek posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama using drones to blow people up" but "Obama using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

What's science fiction about an RC plane with a camera and broadband? Not like they're shooting weapons that manned planes haven't been shooting for years or using targeting systems that manned planes haven't been using for years or anything like that.

poo poo, you can fly drones yourself if you want to. (obviously without targeting or weapons)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Did you mean Wesley Clark?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

For the mega-huge programs (like LSU), it's a cash cow for sure and needs zero direct institutional support.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/10/03/most-profitable-college-football-programs-5-lsu/

If you want an interesting read on the subject, I suggest checking out Big-Time Sports in American Universities. It talks about the amazing successes of these huge programs and how they've inspired smaller programs to blow stupid amounts of cash and goodwill on a pursuit with worse odds for financial success than a craps table.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't remember musings about his potential as being particularly serious.

If not for the whole scandal, it would have been pretty funny to see Republicans trying to call him unpatriotic. The schadenfreude alone would have been worth it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
yeah Petraeus was never a serious candidate for president, nor was it ever particularly clear what party he favored

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Will Yemen work?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

No, but I remember when Fox tried to Citizen Kane him

quote:

o in spring 2011, Ailes asked a Fox News analyst headed to Afghanistan to pass on his thoughts to Petraeus, who was then the commander of U.S. and coalition forces there. Petraeus, Ailes advised, should turn down an expected offer from President Obama to become CIA director and accept nothing less than the chairmanship of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the top military post. If Obama did not offer the Joint Chiefs post, Petraeus should resign from the military and run for president, Ailes suggested.

The Fox News chairman’s message was delivered to Petraeus by Kathleen T. McFarland, a Fox News national security analyst and former national security and Pentagon aide in three Republican administrations. She did so at the end of a 90-minute, unfiltered conversation with Petraeus that touched on the general’s future, his relationship with the media and his political aspirations — or lack thereof. The Washington Post has obtained a digital recording from the meeting, which took place in Petraeus’s office in Kabul.

McFarland also said that Ailes — who had a decades-long career as a Republican political consultant, advising Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush — might resign as head of Fox to run a Petraeus presidential campaign. At one point, McFarland and Petraeus spoke about the possibility that Rupert Murdoch, the head of News Corp., which owns Fox News, would “bankroll” the campaign.

The digital recording also provides a glimpse into the close relationship Petraeus had with the news media, especially Fox News. At one point, McFarland declared that “everybody at Fox loves you,” adding that Ailes had directed her to ask Petraeus whether “there [is] anything Fox is doing, right or wrong, that you want to tell us to do differently?”

Petraeus didn’t hesitate. “The editorial policy of Fox had shifted,” he said. “It was almost as if, because they’re going after Obama, they had to go after Obama’s war as well.” He said he had discussed this with Bret Baier, a key Fox anchor.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Riptor posted:

yeah Petraeus was never a serious candidate for president, nor was it ever particularly clear what party he favored

There were serious rumblings from Republicans because well, look who's in the field now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JT Jag posted:

That's Clark, Petraeus was batted about as a Republican nom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Will Yemen work?

If it descends into Khmer Rouge-levels of nightmarish pariah state, I'll give Obama halfsies on it.

• Locked thread