Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

J. Herbin Bleu Ocean now has a metallic sheen like the other two 1670 inks: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/04/make-waves-with-j-herbin-bleu-ocean.html

Unfortunately, it's gold instead of silver, which I feel like would have matched better. Still kinda tempted to pick some up even though I've got an entire bottle of the old version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

404notfound posted:

J. Herbin Bleu Ocean now has a metallic sheen like the other two 1670 inks: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/04/make-waves-with-j-herbin-bleu-ocean.html

Unfortunately, it's gold instead of silver, which I feel like would have matched better. Still kinda tempted to pick some up even though I've got an entire bottle of the old version.

:swoon: oh my god the gold on that blue looks amazing. Silver would have been like foam-capped waves, but the gold is like the goddamn sunset over deep water.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ahhhh I want to try that in my pilot parallels but I hadn't no idea how to clean those things lmao

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Anybody check out that blue-dyed Midori Traveler's Notebook that Goulet just sent an announcement about? Looks nice!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm such a sucker for gold sparkly ink.
Browsing around on Goulet's site of course led to "oh yeah I was going to get another Plumix for the nib, and wanted to replace the Metro I dropped and jacked up, and I'd kinda been meaning to get some new converters..." :shepspends:

I got the plain silver Metro I wanted back when they were all sold out instead of another black one at least.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

aldantefax posted:

Anybody check out that blue-dyed Midori Traveler's Notebook that Goulet just sent an announcement about? Looks nice!

I saw some promo pics but then I went to see the original in person. It's somewhat thinner than I expected the full size and passport one too. I don't know leather but it looked accurate to the online photos too.

You might want to buy the LE one as I know Japan loves LE stuff and a pain to find once it's over. Although I've seen people customize their notebooks but the shape is awkward enough.

For expensive FPs I'd keep them in a case and at home. It's totally possible to damage them but most people will be fine. Basic maintenance is flushing the pen and avoiding India ink.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Guys this Bleu Ocean is super pretty:

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just got mine out of the mailbox!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is why the stormy grey and bleu ocean are just so loving good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
poo poo now I want a green one with gold shimmer.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Fun pen story:

My girlfriend is in a book club with a bunch of her old college friends, and they've decided to do a chain letter book club. So every week they all read up to a certain point, then write a letter about it to the next person on their list. The current book is Moby Dick. So far, she's used my collection to

• Use an Ahab with Liberty's Elysium
  • Write with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai (Deep Ocean)
  • Write with J. Herbin Bleu Ocean

Being a pen dork can be pretty fun for other people too!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's been way too long since I inked up my metro. I forgot how god drat comfortable this pen is! Need to put this back in my rotation, but I honestly feel a little bad given how cheap it is compared to the other pens I use regularly. All the more reason I should pick some up to gift to others, I suppose :getin:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Vanishing Point Radens are...less expensive than I thought they'd be. I think I'll get one this year! Isn't the VP's main beef that the custom converter it has is kind of slim in terms of ink storage?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

aldantefax posted:

Vanishing Point Radens are...less expensive than I thought they'd be. I think I'll get one this year! Isn't the VP's main beef that the custom converter it has is kind of slim in terms of ink storage?

Handsome devils. I'd love to get the "water's surface" one on top. People complain about the tininess of the CON-50 converter but you can just refill cartridges with a syringe. That's what I do with my Metro and they use the same cartridges, so capacity is sufficient. :shrug:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

cobalt impurity posted:

Handsome devils. I'd love to get the "water's surface" one on top. People complain about the tininess of the CON-50 converter but you can just refill cartridges with a syringe. That's what I do with my Metro and they use the same cartridges, so capacity is sufficient. :shrug:

Nibs.com quotes the water version at around 600 and the standard "burst" Raden pattern at around 300. I also saw that they have some Pelikan Raden limited edition pens - for a cool two grand. 600+ is pushing it but 300's pretty agreeable for me these days and I haven't bought a pen yet this year (though technically I did get one for free from Verdugo along with some inks).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

cobalt impurity posted:

How is the CON-50 tiny? I have one in my Metro, and using it at work writing several pages of notes per day it lasts me two weeks on average.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mikl posted:

How is the CON-50 tiny? I have one in my Metro, and using it at work writing several pages of notes per day it lasts me two weeks on average.

It all depends on the ink, the nib, the paper and so on. For instance, I wore through a full Pilot Metro after a single day at a work convention I was at and I was just taking notes. On the other hand, a 580 lasts me 4-8 weeks. I guess it just depends.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mikl posted:

It's great that it works out so well for you, but it's literally the smallest option Pilot offers. It isn't such a big deal if you just jot the odd note, or if you don't mind filling often, but the CON-50 is smaller than a cartridge, which gets you about 50% more ink per fill. It's an incredibly common complaint with the Vanishing Point but refilling cartridges is the easiest way around it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I have several CON-50s now, one for each of my Pilots that'll take it, and they're fine but there's no question they're smaller than any other piston converter I've ever seen.

I am very annoyed that it doesn't fit the Cavalier, which is a great pen -- but the body is so narrow the converter is too big for it. It'll take the CON-20, but I hate that one. I generally have to attempt to fill a converter several times before it'll fill up, and with the CON-20 (I think it's a CON-20, anyway? It came with some Pilot pen or other) I can't even tell if it worked, because it's opaque. Actually, looking at pictures of the CON-20, it looks different -- there's no etched plate telling you to squeeze, it's just a thin metal piece on two sides of the dark-colored sac. But both seem uselessly opaque.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just bought a couple of CON-50s because I've been filling cartridges but am super lazy and tired of having to get up from my desk and clean the syringe. I have like a dozen of those lovely squeeze converters but I hate them :mad:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I ordered a Visconti New Classic from a store in the Netherlands -- apparently, Cole's isn't bringing this inexpensive pen to the US -- and the tracking information hasn't updated in almost two weeks. It's still showing as "origin post is preparing shipment" on the USPS site, and "dispatched to destination country" on PostNL's site. Argh. Waiting is hard enough without tracking fuckery.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

guppy posted:

Yeah, I have several CON-50s now, one for each of my Pilots that'll take it, and they're fine but there's no question they're smaller than any other piston converter I've ever seen.

I am very annoyed that it doesn't fit the Cavalier, which is a great pen -- but the body is so narrow the converter is too big for it. It'll take the CON-20, but I hate that one. I generally have to attempt to fill a converter several times before it'll fill up, and with the CON-20 (I think it's a CON-20, anyway? It came with some Pilot pen or other) I can't even tell if it worked, because it's opaque. Actually, looking at pictures of the CON-20, it looks different -- there's no etched plate telling you to squeeze, it's just a thin metal piece on two sides of the dark-colored sac. But both seem uselessly opaque.

The one without the plate is the "cleaning" converter, but it's functionally identical.

My method for getting maximum fill from the con 20s is to squeeze twice with the nib in the ink, pull it out and slowly squeeze the bulb while holding it nib up until a little ink starts to emerge. Hold it at that point and dip it back into the ink, then give it another squeeze. That'll get nearly all of the air out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a reason it takes me several tries to fill even with a piston converter? Or is that just normal?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

guppy posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. Is there a reason it takes me several tries to fill even with a piston converter? Or is that just normal?

My assumption is that there is some air left in the feed, and that is the empty space when you first bring the piston up. On the second fill you've got the whole space full of ink so you can fill the whole piston.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

guppy posted:

It should only take two shots to fill a piston converter, all I can think of is the nib not being sufficiently submerged or the converter not being seated properly so it draws some air when filling.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

guppy posted:

Sometimes the ink intake hole is higher on the pen than you think, most pens have it way up where the nib meets the grip section and you just have to deal with the fact that you're going to get ink on the grip. Because that intake is often parallel to the surface of the ink in the bottle, it's really easy to get a bunch of air in there if you don't just dunk that poo poo in there.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Okay, all that makes a lot more sense. I thought the intake was at the hole where the tine separation ends, for lack of a more accurate vocabulary. I'll give it a go next time I fill. It's gotta be me, not a pen's particular quirk, because I've had the issue on half a dozen pens or more. Tanks!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Most converters also have a sufficiently small volume that air still trapped in the feed matters regardless of air hole submersion.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Has anyone had any problems with J Herbin cartridges? I recently swapped out the cartridge in my Metro for J Herbin Eclat Du Saphir. I uncapped it today at work to find the nib covered in ink. I up-ended the cap to get rid of any leaks only to have practically the entire contents of the cartridge drop out. I wouldn't usually blame the cartridge, except that about a month ago I put a Lierre Sauvage cartridge into a brand new Platinum Plaisir, only to have it leak like a hosepipe after a day or so. I'd written it off as a faulty pen, only now I'm not so sure.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Soylent Yellow posted:

Has anyone had any problems with J Herbin cartridges? I recently swapped out the cartridge in my Metro for J Herbin Eclat Du Saphir. I uncapped it today at work to find the nib covered in ink. I up-ended the cap to get rid of any leaks only to have practically the entire contents of the cartridge drop out. I wouldn't usually blame the cartridge, except that about a month ago I put a Lierre Sauvage cartridge into a brand new Platinum Plaisir, only to have it leak like a hosepipe after a day or so. I'd written it off as a faulty pen, only now I'm not so sure.

Is there a good, solid seal between the end of the cartridge and the feed? Are you pushing the cartridge all the way on? I wonder if you have a nick or something there that is letting air in. Do the cartridges look ok?

Either that, or your feed could be loose. I had two different Noodler's pens do something similar to me when I finally realized that the feeds weren't as tight as they could be. This is less likely since it's two different pens, but maybe you cleaned both of them out and didn't seat the feeds properly?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
You have the euro version of the Metro that takes international standard cartridges, right? And the adapter that allows the Plaisir to take them?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I finally left my Vac 700 lying around once too often, and a coworker grabbed it off my desk and yanked the cap off the screw ring with gusto. Should've seen her face when I told her she broke a $70 pen.

Whatever. TWSBI is sending a replacement cap for $3. At least she didn't stab it into the paper and ruin the nib. I think I need a stub mini so I can just slip it into my pocket away from opportunistic destruction.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Loucks posted:

I finally left my Vac 700 lying around once too often, and a coworker grabbed it off my desk and yanked the cap off the screw ring with gusto. Should've seen her face when I told her she broke a $70 pen.

Whatever. TWSBI is sending a replacement cap for $3. At least she didn't stab it into the paper and ruin the nib. I think I need a stub mini so I can just slip it into my pocket away from opportunistic destruction.

That's why I keep my pens in my shirt pocket. I don't know why, but it seems like people are more apt these days to just help themselves to stuff on someone else's desk these days and if they do ask, "hey can I borrow a pen," it's as they're picking it up and yanking the cap off.

In other pen news, Rakuten has a three-pack of Plumix pens for 14.99 with free shipping right now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Magnus Praeda posted:

In other pen news, Rakuten has a three-pack of Plumix pens for 14.99 with free shipping right now.

Good price, not very good pen. In my experience the only thing the Plumix (and its colleague Penmanship) are good for is yanking out the nib and putting it into a Metro or Prera.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Mikl posted:

Good price, not very good pen. In my experience the only thing the Plumix (and its colleague Penmanship) are good for is yanking out the nib and putting it into a Metro or Prera.

You're right about that and this is a cheap way to get three nibs.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

pienipple posted:

You have the euro version of the Metro that takes international standard cartridges, right? And the adapter that allows the Plaisir to take them?

Yes on both counts.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Magnus Praeda posted:

You're right about that and this is a cheap way to get three nibs.

Yeah that's less than the cost of one cheap nib for most pens. I do appreciate that the plumix has a section shaped to force you to hold the pen right though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ugh dammit I just bought a Plumix to replace a nib. I didn't really need 3 nibs though so probably for the best.
When I got it I opened the package, yanked out the nib, and threw the rest of the pen in the trash. It felt kinda weird but why keep it if it's not going to be used at all.

One of my coworkers was showing me a registration form that needed a correction and was like "do you have a pen I can use that isn't fancy? Oh nevermind, you just write it with your fancy pen" :haw:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Yes on both counts.

No idea then! J. Herbin is my favorite brand and I've had no problems with it in any of my pens (Vista, Metro, Kakuno, Hero 359, and a No-Nonsense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm thinking of getting a Sheaffer tuckaway. Anything I should know about before I start bidding? I'm seeing them around 50-100 bucks.