Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

An Alien invasion DLC is a really fun idea, if only because it will piss of the grognards. Again.

Make them use robots, too.

Pffft, the grognards have already long since cancelled their pre-orders.

If I remember right, when you popped the alien invasion event via the console in HoI2 (and maybe even still in Darkest Hour, I'm not sure), you would specify a province for the aliens to land in, and they would start spreading. They start with, iirc, 1936 tech, but get mind-boggling research bonuses that propel them far past the player in no time. I want to say there was an AAR on an alien invasion in the past couple years on the Paradox forums, but I can't find it at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Drone posted:

If I remember right, when you popped the alien invasion event via the console in HoI2 (and maybe even still in Darkest Hour, I'm not sure), you would specify a province for the aliens to land in, and they would start spreading. They start with, iirc, 1936 tech, but get mind-boggling research bonuses that propel them far past the player in no time. I want to say there was an AAR on an alien invasion in the past couple years on the Paradox forums, but I can't find it at the moment.

They also have nukes. Lots of 'em. And they love to use them.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

I'll allow anything as long as we get a Sunset Invasion-style expansion involving an alien invasion (since Hearts of Iron has always had an alien invasion event that you could manually trigger in the console).

Why do you gotta bring in Aliens? I wanna see Nazis fight Aztec Warriors shooting Obsidian bullets.

I am so looking forward to HOI4 for my Grand Campaign with SI turned on :ohdear:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Groogy posted:

Why do you gotta bring in Aliens? I wanna see Nazis fight Aztec Warriors shooting Obsidian bullets.

I am so looking forward to HOI4 for my Grand Campaign with SI turned on :ohdear:

Your scientists report the discovery of a mysterious old pillar covered in stone masks...

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
gently caress an earlier start date, but one which extends -fully featured- into the Cold War period would be fantastic.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

maev posted:

gently caress an earlier start date, but one which extends -fully featured- into the Cold War period would be fantastic.

The Cold War really needs its own game. As it stands, the HOI framework doesn't work well enough for modeling all the things that made the Cold War special. And there's enough about the Cold War to make it getting its own game worthwhile.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TheMcD posted:

The Cold War really needs its own game. As it stands, the HOI framework doesn't work well enough for modeling all the things that made the Cold War special. And there's enough about the Cold War to make it getting its own game worthwhile.
Absolutely correct. I think they should go the EU route and base their eventual Cold War game on a board game.

Paradox Interactive
proudly presents
Twilight Struggle

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

You're pretty much legally and morally required to make a Victoria 2/3 to HoI4 converter dlc.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

TheMcD posted:

Victoria 2's influence, flashpoint, and diplomatic crisis system would probably be a better framework for the Cold War.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

You're pretty much legally and morally required to make a Victoria 2/3 to HoI4 converter dlc.

Well I first gotta do the EU4 to Vick2/3 Converter as well first. But I can't wait until I get to the point where the alliance of Milsarikí, Republic of Skåne, Federal States of Jomsvikings are slugging nukes against the Nahua Empire and its subject states in the Americas.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Please keep the HOI timeline limited to 1948, Paradox. Kaiserreich has a terrible amount of empty space it has no hope of filling, and stopping the tech trees and such at 1948 would be a great way to silence the demands for late-game stuff we can't provide. If you want to do East vs. West properly, though, go ahead.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Groogy posted:

Wicked idea. At least the "Occult" tech tree could be put into Darkest Hour though. If you can think one up that would be a funny addition to say, Kaiserreich instead of the boring secrets weapon tree full of future ships nobody will ever use.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Riso posted:

Wicked idea. At least the "Occult" tech tree could be put into Darkest Hour though. If you can think one up that would be a funny addition to say, Kaiserreich instead of the boring secrets weapon tree full of future ships nobody will ever use.

I will have to come up with some Alt tech for the AAR when I get there. An Occult tech tree would be awesome for the Aztecs actually. Maybe also for my Norse nations, depends on what happens in Vicky I guess.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kavak posted:

Please keep the HOI timeline limited to 1948, Paradox. Kaiserreich has a terrible amount of empty space it has no hope of filling, and stopping the tech trees and such at 1948 would be a great way to silence the demands for late-game stuff we can't provide. If you want to do East vs. West properly, though, go ahead.

Should I take this as confirmation that you guys are definitely doing HoI4 Kaiserreich?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Guildencrantz posted:

Should I take this as confirmation that you guys are definitely doing HoI4 Kaiserreich?

I sure am. I'm not sure how much of the rest of the team will join me, though.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Your scientists report the discovery of a mysterious old pillar covered in stone masks...

I would pay Real American Dollars for any dlc with this event chain in it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Well I first gotta do the EU4 to Vick2/3 Converter as well first.

V3 confirmed. :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ArchangeI posted:

An Alien invasion DLC is a really fun idea, if only because it will piss of the grognards. Again.

Make them use robots, too.

Paradox, if you include an Alien Invasion DLC please add maximum '50s B-movie kitsch in order to maintain proper historical immersion. This is a good starting point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Paradox please partner with 2K to make a mod-friendly XCOM sequel so I can play with Kaiserreich nations, TIA.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Really want to play HoI4 and also Kaisserreich on HOI4...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Guildencrantz posted:

Paradox have hinted at setting up a few things here and there to make it easier for a certain popular mod to exist in HoI4, so... :ssh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kavak posted:

I sure am. I'm not sure how much of the rest of the team will join me, though.

Do me a favour and fix the Jap tech teams to be more like in vanilla. The skill combinations are atrocious for anything but naval doctrines.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kavak posted:

Aw man, I love the WWII slugfests that go on for 20 years :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Farecoal posted:

Aw man, I love the WWII slugfests that go on for 20 years :(

Yeah I can understand why they'd want to keep it tighter but I hope it is at least moddable. I'm sure it will be but I remember HoI2 needed some serious fuckery before it was possible there :v:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Awesome Kaisereich right now.

German puppets in Asia crumble, I nobly defend my fellow germans! (monetary interests) and declare war on the heathens! War is going fine while I whittle down my dissent from black monday.

Gasp!

Japan decides to take the Legislation Cities? My german people? Uh. My money is being threatened! War!

Two fronts are fine if they are in the same general direction, right?

So now there is a land war in Asia along with the mother of all sea battles around the chinese coast. Japan had the upper hand at first but then ALL of my fleets arrived. Now they are re-organized into task groups and my luftwaffe is patrolling the seas.

This will be fun.

(only my 4 divisions of marines sorta kinda decided to retreat into enemy territory so now its a race. Can my mot inf take the province before I lose my best shot at taking the japanese home islands?)

(and will France declare war?)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Trying to play with the New Nations mod has proven to be very frustrating, playing as Serbia I always run out of soldiers to maintain my measly 2 divisions, is this WAD?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Affi posted:

(and will France declare war?)

Yes. It's pretty much hardcoded to do so, it's the "Danzig or War?" decision of that timeline. So enjoy fighting a three front war!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

We won't start before 1936 initially, and I'm not that keen on doing it later. I mean, there's some cool things to do, but an earlier start means even more sitting about for some nations and a much larger chance that you don't get anything that even looks like WWII. Plus if Hitler doesn't come to power we don't get any use out of our glorious portrait :ohdear:
Can at least the tech tree be a bit more fleshed out for earlier periods at some point in the distant future? I had a go at modding a scenario for DH starting in 1920 and it's probably never even going to be used now :(, but the paucity of techs meant I had to rework vast swathes of the tech trees for everything just to get enough techs in the '20s for there to always be something readily researchable. HoI2 proper and HoI3 were little better in that regard, and made it unappealing to ever shift a scenario back from a '36 start. Even doing a mod with a 1930 start seems like it'd involve having to redo chunks of the tech tree, just to deal with having a start a few years earlier than vanilla.

I mean I could mod that on my own, sure, but if that sort of thing was already fleshed out just in anticipation of people fiddling with the start date a bit, then I probably wouldn't make so many whiny noises.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I had a go at modding a scenario for DH starting in 1920 and it's probably never even going to be used now :(,

Wiz, say it ain't so... :negative:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

We won't start before 1936 initially, and I'm not that keen on doing it later. I mean, there's some cool things to do, but an earlier start means even more sitting about for some nations and a much larger chance that you don't get anything that even looks like WWII. Plus if Hitler doesn't come to power we don't get any use out of our glorious portrait :ohdear:

Ernst Thälmann doesn't get a portrait?

Pre-order cancelled!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Wiz, say it ain't so... :negative:
Oh not like that, it's just that HoI4's coming up so why not go with that now?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How long til workshop mods on Paradox games go pay? :D

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Oh man, the amount of "I told you so" :smug: from some of the anti-Steam users on the Paradox boards is going to visible from space.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

The '39 start is the best one anyways, ditch the rest.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

They could at least add a tip jar tied into your steam wallet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Paging Kavak to the thread.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

uPen posted:

The '39 start is the best one anyways, ditch the rest.

'36 is better for Japan/China.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Paging Kavak to the thread.

Okay here's my preliminary "menu" for Kaiserreich:
$1,000- New PSA event chain: Joshua Norton, God-Emperor of the United States.
$2,000- Australasia loses the Emu War, country renamed "Emuland": New HoS "Emus", New HoG "More Emus".
$5,000- Third Mexican Empire and Aztec Restoration event chains.
$10,000- Byzantium out the wazoo.
$100,000- Resurrect or Kill Historical Figure of your Choice, except Hitler.
$1,000,000- Resurrect Hitler.
$1,000,000,000- Canada gets cores on Britain.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

ulmont posted:

'36 is better for Japan/China.

And any country that doesn't begin '39 a major player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Only now have I realised that the stupid Free Market <-> Central Planning slider in the HOI games should be Peace <-> War Economy instead.

• Locked thread