Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Can someone with a Dell U2515H comment on reading text? Being 25 inches I imagine its DPI is significantly higher than the more common 27 inch 2k monitors. I have to write and edit text all day; I don't mind using Window's scaling, but would prefer not to.

U2515H is $387 at Dell.com and reviews of it have been very positive. The 27 inch model is a bit too much money. Dell also says they take dead pixel returns, a big deal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Nice, came home to email saying my XB270HU is being packed up and shipped. Hell yeah.

I came home to an email saying that my XB270HU is on Hold because some idiot (me) used his old credit card number.

Time to :f5: the Order Detail page to see if I still get one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Where did you all order from? Acer's site?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gwaihir posted:

Where did you all order from? Acer's site?

How do you even do that? It kept wanting to send me to CDW so I ordered from newegg instead.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Nice, came home to email saying my XB270HU is being packed up and shipped. Hell yeah.

Same! Should get back from this work trip to all my computer stuff waiting for me. :slick:

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, my plan is a 4K and 1440@144 dual setup, with a keystroke to switch primary.

Stop giving me ideas, my wallet is unhappy enough as is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pr0zac posted:

Stop giving me ideas, my wallet is unhappy enough as is.

We can go shopping together!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Seeing as Provantage now has the Acer XB270HU BPRZ in stock I'm hoping mine will ship tomorrow.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 22, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Duck and Cover posted:

the Acer XB270HU BPRZ in stock

Shut up, you can't tell me what to do! You're not even my real dad!

:shepicide:

e: in stock for only $758 on amazon!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Shut up, you can't tell me what to do! You're not even my real dad!

:shepicide:

e: in stock for only $758 on amazon!

Nah, its not in stock on Amazon, you're looking at the XB280HK bprz.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
So what's the best UltraSharp in a 23-inch these days? Still one of the ones in the OP? I watch a lot of poo poo on my monitor so I don't want it to be letterboxed on a 16:10 monitor, and I can't really afford to spring for a 27" monitor right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Laphroaig posted:

Does anyone know any good resources for looking into using a large TV as a monitor in a common area? Primary usage would be to play games on (console and computer), watch movies and TV shows via streaming, etc - hooked up into a new PC.

Viewing distance is going to be about 6 to 8 feet.

I'm looking at the $550-$700 price range, but I am having trouble figuring out what features I should look out for, other than viewing angle, input lag, etc.

Sony KDL50W800B (50")
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL50W800B-50-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN7Y

VIZIO E480i-B2 (48")
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E480i-B2-48-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00GKKI4NY
Refurb Version: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKTMQZU/

--

Do I just wait a few more months for the 4K TVs and OLED to come down to the ~$700 price level?

E: Just saw the http://www.ebay.com/itm/321724749333 posted above. That is an interesting choice too, but risky for the above mentioned reasons. Tempting.

New edit: Is http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78 a good source or are these people all insane?

I use a tv in my living room for this and I would recommend you go with a 60" tv. Otherwise you will end up running things at 720p to be able to read menus and the like.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the input Coredump and Zorilla. This would be powered off of a 970.

It might make the most sense then for me to adjust my budget upwards and also to wait. I tend to buy TVs once every 8-10 years since I hate replacing the drat things.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How's Asus' RMA turnaround? My VG248QE's DisplayPort input entirely failed and the DVI port seems like it might have problems too, so I opened a ticket and got a RMA number. I'm just curious how long I'll be without my 144Hz goodness.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Before I throw money into something that wouldn't benefit me I want to make sure I'm correct in how G-Sync works. If I have a 970 and get the 27' Acer 1440p I should do alright, right? As long as it can push beyond 30 fps g-sync should be able to "correct" (probably not the best language) the image by adjusting, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

suddenlyissoon posted:

Before I throw money into something that wouldn't benefit me I want to make sure I'm correct in how G-Sync works. If I have a 970 and get the 27' Acer 1440p I should do alright, right? As long as it can push beyond 30 fps g-sync should be able to "correct" (probably not the best language) the image by adjusting, right?

It doesn't really matter what the FPS is as G Sync will adjust for it. Getting too low might not look very nice, bit it's still pretty smooth. My framerate in GTAV fluctuates wildly with the Acer and a 970. Anywhere from 30-120. I never notice because G Sync keeps everything looking nice and smooth. There are times where I'll be playing along and notice it's running at 35fps and it looks just as nice as when it's running at 90. If your frame rate dips too low, g sync will start doubling or tripling up frames to stay above the minimum refresh rate. So if you're running at 12fps, your monitor will actually get updated at 36fps just with the same frame three times in a row.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't really matter what the FPS is as G Sync will adjust for it. Getting too low might not look very nice, bit it's still pretty smooth. My framerate in GTAV fluctuates wildly with the Acer and a 970. Anywhere from 30-120. I never notice because G Sync keeps everything looking nice and smooth. There are times where I'll be playing along and notice it's running at 35fps and it looks just as nice as when it's running at 90. If your frame rate dips too low, g sync will start doubling or tripling up frames to stay above the minimum refresh rate. So if you're running at 12fps, your monitor will actually get updated at 36fps just with the same frame three times in a row.

That's exactly what I need. The wild fluctuations are killing me in GTA 5

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
What is the news on ultrawide models coming out this year, if any? I imagine I'll pick one of those up this year but have no idea how long to wait or what to get...

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Taima posted:

What is the news on ultrawide models coming out this year, if any? I imagine I'll pick one of those up this year but have no idea how long to wait or what to get...

Only 75mhz, but I think it will still be worth it. Should be out early July.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#acer_xr341ck

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So, uh, I didn't notice this came out: Acer G257HU. 25" 1440p IPS for $250. Apparently it's "flicker free" (no PWM), too. There's also a "thin frame" version, the H257HU, for about $350. No VESA mount and the stand is tilt-only, but the Amazon reviews are quite good, and nowhere reputable seems to have "official" reviews up yet.

Acer's really coming out swinging these days, aren't they?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Any word on if there are going to be more 1440p IPS ~90Hz (G-sync optional) displays coming out later this year - basically, other manufacturers' versions of Acer's XB270HU?

That display seems nice but I'm very wary of Acer products.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Welmu posted:

Any word on if there are going to be more 1440p IPS ~90Hz (G-sync optional) displays coming out later this year - basically, other manufacturers' versions of Acer's XB270HU?

That display seems nice but I'm very wary of Acer products.
ASUS is preparing the MG279Q, which offers 1440p IPS at 120Hz, but with DisplayPort 1.2a instead of G-Sync. You will likely want an AMD card to drive FreeSync support.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You will likely want an AMD card to drive FreeSync support.
Alas, all I have is two 980s. Woe is me.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009

Welmu posted:

I feel ya brother.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Laphroaig posted:

Thanks for the input Coredump and Zorilla. This would be powered off of a 970.

It might make the most sense then for me to adjust my budget upwards and also to wait. I tend to buy TVs once every 8-10 years since I hate replacing the drat things.

I run a 60" 1080p tv. 4k would be lost on that display unless i was using it as a standing display and got close to it in the livingroom. Using it at 1080p or sometimes 720p if I'm real far away from the screen means my gtx 660 is not sweating at all. 60" 1080p tv's can be pretty cheap too. However if you want 4k for future proofing then I hear you. Maybe pick up a used tv off craigslist from someone and see if you can get by with something smaller.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Welmu posted:

The Acer monitor is really good though? I hope your perception of a company is open to change.

e: i am a huge g-sync/variable refresh rate shill, it's a huge step forward in perceptible smoothness of gameplay

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DrDork posted:

So, uh, I didn't notice this came out: Acer G257HU. 25" 1440p IPS for $250. Apparently it's "flicker free" (no PWM), too. There's also a "thin frame" version, the H257HU, for about $350. No VESA mount and the stand is tilt-only, but the Amazon reviews are quite good, and nowhere reputable seems to have "official" reviews up yet.

Acer's really coming out swinging these days, aren't they?

drat, that seems like a GREAT deal unless I'm missing a glaring weakness...

Don't care about the bad stand since I'm using a Korean IPS and I sincerely doubt the stand is worse then that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It seems awesome but no gsync :( I'll just wait for the XB270HU to drop $100 or so below mortgage payment threshold so I can justify it to the missus.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What are the price ranges on gsync monitors? I have a qnix 1440p right now, but I'm not loving it. Smoothness is of utmost importance to me, and playing gta v with a 970 makes that difficult.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Just got my XB270HU and its beautiful. I think I have 1/2 dead pixels, or some kind of hair in the screen cause theres a tiny black dash I can see in the bottom left and it looks like its behind text and stuff when I scroll. Only noticed cause I had a snowy picture come up but now Im just staring at it. How do I determine what this is exactly? Im thinking dea pixel because its visible under every color but black. Also just found a second little grey smudge in right portion of screen that is doing the same thing. Pretty sure Im gonna try and return this, gently caress 800 dollars for not a 100% working product.

drat, and it looks so pretty.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Just got my XB270HU and its beautiful. I think I have 1/2 dead pixels, or some kind of hair in the screen cause theres a tiny black dash I can see in the bottom left and it looks like its behind text and stuff when I scroll. Only noticed cause I had a snowy picture come up but now Im just staring at it. How do I determine what this is exactly? Im thinking dea pixel because its visible under every color but black. Also just found a second little grey smudge in right portion of screen that is doing the same thing. Pretty sure Im gonna try and return this, gently caress 800 dollars for not a 100% working product.

drat, and it looks so pretty.

That's foreign debris that made it behind the LCD matrix during assembly, most likely. They usually appear as little black dots roughly the size of 1-2 pixels (but loose fibers or hair can appear as lines). Personally, I don't think I've ever encountered a 27" monitor without this problem, but yours sounds pretty bad.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Apologize if this is asked a lot, I only went back ~ 10 pages. Will a monitor stand like this work with a 30" monitor in portrait mode?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5400&seq=1&format=2

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I'm looking for a new monitor. I don't follow developments in computer hardware until I'm actually ready to go shopping, and then I try and catch up on what's been going on in the field. After browsing this thread and surfing around a bit, I came up with a list of what I'm looking for. (I usually play games on my desktop, but I'm really looking for an all-rounder here:)

• IPS or similar
  • 23" - 24"
  • $200-$300 Canadian
  • gloss finish for brighter colors(?)
  • an adjustable stand would be nice
  • It'd also be nice if it didn't have speakers, I don't need those.

I was also trying to figure out if LED illumination was any sort of advantage for me; I personally like the sound of "long lived." I spent $350 and $300 on the last two monitors I bought; the former was a CRT (this was a long time ago)that I used until it wore out. The latter was this samsung I have, which I had to replace the capacitors on after a year or two. Long story short, I tend to use monitors until they die.

Anyway, thread, do you have any suggestions for 1) narrowing down the field, or 2) specific suggestions? I'm a bit stymied by all the different types out there that broadly fit what I'm looking for. I'm also a bit leery of Asus products, as I've had problems with their motherboards and graphics cards. (This might be wrong for monitors, if so please yell at me.)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Nebakenezzer posted:

Anyway, thread, do you have any suggestions for 1) narrowing down the field, or 2) specific suggestions? I'm a bit stymied by all the different types out there that broadly fit what I'm looking for. I'm also a bit leery of Asus products, as I've had problems with their motherboards and graphics cards. (This might be wrong for monitors, if so please yell at me.)

Very few monitors after 2011 come with CCFL backlighting, so LED is pretty much your only choice. You might like the Dell S2415H since it meets nearly all your requirements and is only USD $180. If you want a fully adjustable stand, you'll probably need to step up to the Ultrasharp line, which is considerably more expensive.

Edit: wow, Canadian prices for monitors are way higher than I expected. That Dell is right at the top of your budget at CAD $298. You may also like the ViewSonic VA2446M-LED, which is CAD $235. It's MVA instead of IPS, but I wouldn't count that as a strike against it if you prefer better contrast and no light bleed. I don't think the panel itself is glossy, but I'm not sure there is anything on the Canadian Amazon site that is within your criteria besides the Dell I mentioned earlier.

Edit 2: Expanding the search on Newegg.ca reveals that the AOC i2369V might work for you. It's an inch smaller, but $190 shipped.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 24, 2015

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Zorilla posted:

That's foreign debris that made it behind the LCD matrix during assembly, most likely. They usually appear as little black dots roughly the size of 1-2 pixels (but loose fibers or hair can appear as lines). Personally, I don't think I've ever encountered a 27" monitor without this problem, but yours sounds pretty bad.

Yeah, they are pretty noticeable once you realize its there. Guess Ill start the RMA process tomorrow. It is a super nice picture and quality for the rest though, so its disappointing its this one thing loving it up.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I thought I saw some posters on this thread wishing for an G-sync ultrawide?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-unveils-predator-gaming-series,28986.html

I think Acer somehow drew up a deal with Satan.

e: it's not a TN panel if you hate that

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I thought I saw some posters on this thread wishing for an G-sync ultrawide?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/acer-unveils-predator-gaming-series,28986.html

I think Acer somehow drew up a deal with Satan.

e: it's not a TN panel if you hate that

You were beaten by a week and some change. Only problem with it is it only goes up to 75Hz.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Its probably because I was coming from a benq 27 inch tn but I am sad packing up this xb270hu, picture quality is so nice. :911:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Etrips posted:

You were beaten by a week and some change. Only problem with it is it only goes up to 75Hz.

:stare: two 1440p ultrawides and a 1080p VA 144Hz ultrawide, all three with VRR tech. Is Acer trying to run itself into the ground with R&D for all these boutique screens?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well, it's not like Acer is a panel manufacturer. It's someone like AUOptronics, LG, Samsung, or Sharp actually making the things. I think the XB270hu's panel is AUOptronics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That one is AU Optronics. In retrospect, it's probably a lot less resource-intensive to just be designing the housings that Acer will be slapping their name badge and stickers on. I'm a bit surprised that they've made the decision to be buying all these panels, though! Is this 2008 and everyone is buying a super-duper l33t h4xx0r gaaaaamin' station again? I just don't understand how Acer will make back revenue on all the ridiculous halo products they're pushing.