Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

the only time a splash screen is acceptable imo is when it's a graphics program like affinity designer or photoshop

they're never a good idea, but they're acceptable when you've hosed up and made a program that takes time to load

hopefully this is because it's an old program that people love/can't work without, and not because you're a piece of poo poo that sucks at making programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the app I work on has a splash screen that pretends to "load" for 5 seconds

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Phoenixan posted:

the only time a splash screen is acceptable imo is when it's a graphics program like affinity designer or photoshop

or say, a modern web browser

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

where have i seen this logo and "metro" together. oh right

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

i'm the piss garbage everything

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

THC posted:

the app I work on has a splash screen that pretends to "load" for 5 seconds

no. justo no

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sometimes when i accidently press start i'll see something interesting in the news live tile so i'll give it a chance and click but will usually also load a browser on the other monitor and do a quick news search for the same thing and almost always the browser wins

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

our bosses loving love splash screens. also modal popups that appear once to display important information and can never be found again by the user

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

my company intentionally delayed the real launch of our application by 3 seconds so that a ~fancy animation~ can swoosh without stuttering

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they're never a good idea, but they're acceptable when you've hosed up and made a program that takes time to load

hopefully this is because it's an old program that people love/can't work without, and not because you're a piece of poo poo that sucks at making programs

lol eclipse

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lol idea
lol gimp
lol office
lol libreoffice
lol audacity

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

where have i seen this logo and "metro" together. oh right

dat "e" :pwn:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
poo poo like that makes me actually miss late 90s/early 00s ms everyone was afraid of

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the microsoft financials are a goldmine this quarter holy poo poo

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY15/Q3/default.aspx

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Microsoft sold 8.6 million Lumia devices in the most recent quarter, and the company says that’s an 18 percent increase over the prior year.
gee I wonder why they're selling better

quote:

Windows Phone revenue has dropped by 16 percent.
oh

e: my napkin math says that means the average selling price of winpho is 30% lower than last year

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao @ xbox revenue

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
how the gently caress is msft actually up after that

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

impairment of goodwill or amortizable intangible assets causing a significant charge to earnings;

lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao @ xbox revenue
don't forget bundling minecraft under first-party so they can claim that segment's profitable

or the 1.6m xbox consoles (360+bone) shipped this quarter compared to 2.0m the same quarter last year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

winpho: 1.4 bil revenue on 8.6 million phones is $162/unit :laugh:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

quote:

On the Xbox side, the company said that Live usage grew over 30%; the company did not disclose Xbox sales figures.

there were 3.4 million headshots this quarter!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

conference call is starting, might be comedy there http://www.media-server.com/m/p/6k5qe3qq

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Xbox Live usage grew over 30%, driven by increased users and deeper user engagement

this is the only mention of the word "xbox" in the whole thing

Computing & Gaming Hardware revenue down 4%. that probably includes surface and microsoft band lol

Beeftweeter posted:

how the gently caress is msft actually up after that

i was in the finance club and even i don't get it

i've always felt like MS earnings reports were sketchy. they could be straight up cooking the books. and the very least they are bundling things together to boost every segments revenue with the purchase of a single thing.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

conference call is starting, might be comedy there http://www.media-server.com/m/p/6k5qe3qq

lol just hearing satya made me laugh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pkev you are not very bright

quote:

Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue decreased $72 million or 4%, primarily due to lower revenue from Xbox Platform, offset in part by higher Surface revenue. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 4%. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $306 million or 24%, driven by a 20% decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year. We sold 1.6 million Xbox consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2015 compared with 2.0 million consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2014. Surface revenue increased $219 million or 44%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Surface Pro 3 was released in June 2014.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

listening to next cube over bitching about windows 10

managed updates aren't supported in win10 pro, only enterprise
exchange settings are all in powershell
they're removing performance monitors and making them powershell commands. lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

pkev you are not very bright

not in the linked press release

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

Xbox Live usage grew over 30%, driven by increased users and deeper user engagement

this is the only mention of the word "xbox" in the whole thing

Computing & Gaming Hardware revenue down 4%. that probably includes surface and microsoft band lol
look at the slideshow (10, 12 and 18) and the 10q report

quote:

i was in the finance club and even i don't get it

i've always felt like MS earnings reports were sketchy. they could be straight up cooking the books. and the very least they are bundling things together to boost every segments revenue with the purchase of a single thing.
there's definitely creative accounting happening, the numbers don't make sense to the market conditions

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

not in the linked press release

yes it is

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's definitely creative accounting happening, the numbers don't make sense to the market conditions

increased surface revenue is taking up the slack

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

yes it is

then Cmd+f is literally broken on my computer

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

welp that explains the new xbox music and xbox video apps in w10

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PleasureKevin posted:

have you considered purchasing a windows PC?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

layer 8 error

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft is blocking searches for xbox on the page out of shame

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good lord you are hopeless lol

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/SegmentResults/S1/fy15/q3/Performance.aspx

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol, i thought they were doing great in japan but i guess not

although tim cook brought up japan explaining iPad growth dips too

that's a different page than the main body of the press release linked above ok can we drop it

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

btw if there was any doubt left, satya said "windows as a service" and "getting revenue from windows throughout it's lifecycle"

• Locked thread