Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I knew that, damnit.

I think the fixed version is more like "Sun was poo poo, and Oracle is poo poo."

I have a friend who worked for Sun/Oracle for over ten years and refused to have java installed on any of his personal computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WorkingStiff posted:

There are a ton of free web apps that do this. Google "ICO Converter" or "Favicon Generator".

I've downloaded about three of them, and they do stuff like resize the icons in a way that they blur, or they generate one icon per size (16.ico, 24.ico, etc.), things like that. Everything does one thing I like, none of them do all the things I want, and I don't know how to search for my particular use case. I'll keep looking, maybe you're right and there are web apps that do exactly what I'm asking for.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 20, 2015

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I've downloaded about three of them, and they do stuff like resize the icons in a way that they blur, or they generate one icon per size (16.ico, 24.ico, etc.), things like that. Everything does one thing I like, none of them do all the things I want, and I don't know how to search for my particular use case. I'll keep looking, maybe you're right and there are web apps that do exactly what I'm asking for.

These are webapps - you shouldn't have to download anything.

There's always Photoshop and installing an .ico file format plugin.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WorkingStiff posted:

These are webapps - you shouldn't have to download anything.

There's always Photoshop and installing an .ico file format plugin.

You'll also note that the icons I want to convert number in the thousands, so a one-at-a-time web app isn't very efficient. Toycon (http://toycon.en.softonic.com/), with its drag and drop, almost does what I want. It's not super important, though, I just like the style of the icons and wanted to use them to decorate folders, I was kinda bored Sunday.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Eh, can you clarify? Export your Chrome bookmarks to HTML (Settings >Bookmarks >Bookmark Manager >Organize >Export Bookmarks to HTML file). Import the file into IE (Menu Bar >File >Import and Export >Import from a File). Then Favorites >Organize Favorites and drag& drop it however you want. There are also some third party Bookmark management programs, but I haven't used one in years so can't vouch for any of them. Hint: If you are really anal, you can edit the HTML files in Notepad++ or your favorite code editor and just copy & paste to get it exactly like you want it, since IE will alphabetize the contents of folders. Funny, IE still uses Netscape's bookmark format.

I've done both the browser to browser import, and also exporting then importing. For some reason, chrome refuses to import ANY of the bookmarks in the browser bar, and when I copy them to a different folder (MInd you, this is all taken care on the "web" now, the interface is complete rear end in chrome), it still doesn't import them properly. Most of them have the names deleted, but it will import some, but not others. I have no clue. I just manually reset my bookmarks bar.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

WorkingStiff posted:

Dude - it would be helpful that you mention to people who are altruistically trying to help you from the other side of the internet that you are having this issue when using a dock and a wireless mouse, rather than making people think your problem is caused by your OS or particular notebook.

Sorry about that.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

What should I use to remote into my computer? I just want to be able to add stuff to plex and manage downloads and stuff while stuck at work for several days at a time.

On windows 8.1 home, I think something is built in into the pro version?

Also on a asus MB, heard something about them having a utility?

Otherwise, what is nice? iphone would own, but could use my laptop also.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Teamviewer's probably the easiest. Or Chrome Remote Desktop, if that works between computers, as opposed to only phone -> computer.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Chrome Remote Desktop is excellent.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thirding Chrome Remote Desktop. Quick and easy setup and visual performance is top notch since it's essentially a video stream of your desktop rather than a series of screenshots.

iOS version works well enough on the phone, though iPad is better for obvious reasons.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Awesome, no idea that was a thing and I even use chromecast all the time.

Thanks for the help!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What's the best Duplicate file finder program out there nowadays? I need something that can scan select folders and give me an easy to understand list of duplicates via hash or something similar, needs to be portable too. I've been using AllDup so far and it works but I don't know if it's the best, I also don't like (or maybe I don't know how to) that I can't delete the folder within AllDup where the duplicates reside, only the file it self.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm looking for software that can scan a folder and make a catalogue of the folder contents (that I can hopefully upload to an online catalogue system) for LTO drives.

So basically we have a single LTO 6 Desktop Drive and we backup client files to it every now and again. Instead of going through and manually cataloging everything by hand into a spread sheet, I'd love to catalog automatically by just analyzing the folder structure and spit out a spreadsheet or something similar we can upload to an internal site for reference (aka finding an old project in the future).

Bonus points if you can dictate how deep in the folder structure to catalog.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BonoMan posted:

I'm looking for software that can scan a folder and make a catalogue of the folder contents (that I can hopefully upload to an online catalogue system) for LTO drives.

So basically we have a single LTO 6 Desktop Drive and we backup client files to it every now and again. Instead of going through and manually cataloging everything by hand into a spread sheet, I'd love to catalog automatically by just analyzing the folder structure and spit out a spreadsheet or something similar we can upload to an internal site for reference (aka finding an old project in the future).

Bonus points if you can dictate how deep in the folder structure to catalog.

You could always just use a command prompt to do a dir command to a text file, then use excel to import that text file, unless that's what you mean by "manually doing it".

Assuming no one suggests something that automatically does it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Can someone please explain to me why Adobe Reader completely locks both Windows 8.1 laptops I've tried it on when you try to print any PDF or simply open a PDF with a form in it, or at least offer an alternative that allows form usage (since Sumatra doesn't and PDF Lite is syware-ridden poo poo).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You could try Foxit.

In the last couple days, my laptop (8.1 pro) has been doing weird things when it updates. It'll install the updates and then request to reboot, as usual. Things go find until Windows kicks in after the reboot. Sometimes it'll do the "[X]% completed, configuring updates..." or whatever it is, but even if it does, it'll quickly move to "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes". Then it'll reboot again, say that line about not completing the updates, then finish booting. After it boots, some of the updates got applied, but others didn't. I can repeat this process to finish installing all the updates. What the hell's going on?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hooah posted:

You could try Foxit.

Or the lighter choice - SumatraPDF

Edit: oops, I should have read the actual post above with the problem, mentioning Sumatra doesn't support forms

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

HalloKitty posted:

Or the lighter choice - SumatraPDF

Cannot give Sumatra enough props.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Don't use Foxit since it got all ad stuff in it these days. I use PDF-Xchange these days http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

It's free if you're not using it in a business setting and supports PDF forms and the like.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does explorer in Win7 have sorting issues with large directories? I have about 130k images in a directory. Flat. With the naming convention:

some_words_separated.%06d.tif

where %06d is 000000-130000. When I look in explorer in any view mode but especially details mode, all of the files are in an arbitrary order and when I click the name field to sort it doesn't sort numerically. Is it just too many files?

edit: I tested with a smaller set of files(10) and it sorts fine with the exact same naming.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got some dumb spyware poo poo that deleted all my chrome data. I was able to sync it back but lost all my extension settings. This happened before and when it synced I got the extension data back as well. Anything else I can do here? I did get my bookmarks and such. System restore didn't do anything

All I really want is the extension data

-edit I see I have to have "file history" enabled for system recovery to work. A windows 8 thing. Which is disabled by default

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 22, 2015

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Does explorer in Win7 have sorting issues with large directories? I have about 130k images in a directory. Flat. With the naming convention:

some_words_separated.%06d.tif

where %06d is 000000-130000. When I look in explorer in any view mode but especially details mode, all of the files are in an arbitrary order and when I click the name field to sort it doesn't sort numerically. Is it just too many files?

edit: I tested with a smaller set of files(10) and it sorts fine with the exact same naming.

I've noticed this even on Win8.1. I have a Dropbox folder that acts as a dump for photos off several devices and I've resigned myself to having to go back through and creating folders organized by month in the directory. I suspect it's the thumbnail cache not being big enough, but I don't know.

Actually, I just fired up Process Monitor and in my instance it looks like the USN journal is causing the delay which "isn't supposed to happen" anymore on Windows. This is an NTFS filesystem level issue which can be corrected by defragmenting or allocating more space for it.

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WorkingStiff posted:

I've resigned myself to having to go back through and creating folders organized by month in the directory.

FYI, there's several tools out there that can do this automatically.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

FYI, there's several tools out there that can do this automatically.

Any you would recommend?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WorkingStiff posted:

Any you would recommend?

Not really. Every time I want to do this I just Google around and download whatever seems like it'll work and then I uninstall it when done.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WorkingStiff posted:

Any you would recommend?

Don't know if it's the perfect tool for the job, but it's my go-to thing and I'll take this opportunity to pimp it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is probably a dumb question but before I go ahead and gently caress something up:

At our small 5 person office we have an old x3200 M3 IBM server unit that is no longer used because all of its functions were basically rendered obsolete by ~~~~~the cloud~~~~~. It was basically a terrible purchase made by my dad at his useless tech guy's insistence.

I fired it up to see if I could repurpose it for something useful and of course it's running a pirated version of Windows Server 2003. Can I run Ubuntu Server on this or is there some strict limitation to what kind of OS it will accept? I don't see why it would, but I'm not an IT guy and I've never dealt with a server unit.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Recently upgraded to 8.1 and I'm having a hell of time trying to figure out how to get my taskbar volume icon onto the monitor #2 taskbar. I feel like this should be extremely easy.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My PC is running a copy of Win 7 Enterprise from one of those Multi Licence Agreement disks.

I bought a new SSD for an OS drive and it turns out the license has exceeded it's use limit now. I wanted to do a fresh install as my computer was starting to get a few BSODs but that isn't really an option any more.

Does either the Windows Migration Tool or the Samsung SSD software do a 1:1 clone of the drive or can I choose to do a recovery disk style migration to the new drive? Will that carry across my license or will I still be boned?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone use Google Play Music and the Music Manager program? It's worked great for me to get my music uploaded to the cloud, but yesterday it wouldn't upload 3 albums. It just sits at "uploading 0 out of 27 songs" with an empty progress bar. Then it goes away and says Last Upload: 0 songs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

xcore posted:

My PC is running a copy of Win 7 Enterprise from one of those Multi Licence Agreement disks.

I bought a new SSD for an OS drive and it turns out the license has exceeded it's use limit now. I wanted to do a fresh install as my computer was starting to get a few BSODs but that isn't really an option any more.

Does either the Windows Migration Tool or the Samsung SSD software do a 1:1 clone of the drive or can I choose to do a recovery disk style migration to the new drive? Will that carry across my license or will I still be boned?

Samsung's migration software and utilities like Macrium Reflect Free will image the disk to the SSD (as long as it has less data on it than the size of the SSD). Your license should travel with it since it's not a new install. I'm not sure about the windows migration tool but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone use Google Play Music and the Music Manager program? It's worked great for me to get my music uploaded to the cloud, but yesterday it wouldn't upload 3 albums. It just sits at "uploading 0 out of 27 songs" with an empty progress bar. Then it goes away and says Last Upload: 0 songs.

I ditched music manager and just upload them myself through the play music website now. So much better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hooah posted:

You could try Foxit.

Actually Foxit has exactly the amount of IE integration I needed for work and using Ninite to install saved me from whatever horseshit is packaged in with it these days. Thanks!

Though I will continue praying that PDF goes the way of the dodo to be replaced by something better regardless.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I ditched music manager and just upload them myself through the play music website now. So much better.

Thanks, didn't know that was possible.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Bought a Windows laptop from a friend to tide me over until I get money to replace my broken MacBook. What are the best programs for cleaning up the computer, short of doing a clean install?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Eight Is Legend posted:

Bought a Windows laptop from a friend to tide me over until I get money to replace my broken MacBook. What are the best programs for cleaning up the computer, short of doing a clean install?

Just do a clean install, no point using a program when you don't have anything installed yet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Eight Is Legend posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just do a clean install, no point using a program when you don't have anything installed yet.

Yup, this is the correct answer. IF you don't have a CD key (or the sticker on the laptop ripped off or something) just use a keyfinder to get it from the PC, make an ISO on a USB drive and reformat.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just want to say that running a clean install of 'new' windows on an old machine is really therapeutic, at least for me. I'm sure my SSD equipped Core2 UWXGA Thinkpad will run Win10 fine as well as whatever comes after that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are AVG/Avast still the go to free antivirus programs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This is probably a dumb question but before I go ahead and gently caress something up:

At our small 5 person office we have an old x3200 M3 IBM server unit that is no longer used because all of its functions were basically rendered obsolete by ~~~~~the cloud~~~~~. It was basically a terrible purchase made by my dad at his useless tech guy's insistence.

I fired it up to see if I could repurpose it for something useful and of course it's running a pirated version of Windows Server 2003. Can I run Ubuntu Server on this or is there some strict limitation to what kind of OS it will accept? I don't see why it would, but I'm not an IT guy and I've never dealt with a server unit.

It's a pretty standard x86 server, so you shouldn't have any problems running whatever OS you want.

The only x-series boxes that are restricted like that I'm aware of are the HMCs for managing Power gear. Even then, I'm sure you could beat that into submission if you were feeling a particularly high level of self-hate.