Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I thought it was a weird pair of cat eyes at first. Then I thought it was boobs. Nope, it's a butt.

Butts are actually where the heart shape comes from. (Hearts don't look anything like a "heart shape" but butts sure do, and butts were an early sign for fertility / mating / romance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

I love how there is a much neater and more subtle stencil under that free-handed piece of jank.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Butts are actually where the heart shape comes from. (Hearts don't look anything like a "heart shape" but butts sure do, and butts were an early sign for fertility / mating / romance.)

Turns out Heart Shaped Butt wouldn't have been more of a success than Heart Shaped Box

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Kanisha. Though it definitely looks like kanFsh'a.

On the face, no less.

ed:I don't think it's a stencil it's covering, but rather covering up a previous (faded/removed) tattoo, but I can't make that one out. Ends in a "g" or "y" I think.

Magnus Praeda has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Apr 22, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lazered off his ex and put another name over it?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe hes a writer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Kramjacks posted:

Maybe hes a writer.

That was my original thought and then my immediate thought after was that if he is, I hope he isn't planning on doing it as a profession.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Clearly an author

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Stringbean posted:

Clearly an author

Then it should be "no pen, no gin"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A friend of mine who is a writer has 'the pen is mightier than the sword' as a tattoo.

Of course I make fun of her and say 'penis mightier'.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zaphod42 posted:

A friend of mine who is a writer has 'the pen is mightier than the sword' as a tattoo.

Of course I make fun of her and say 'penis mightier'.

Well obviously, but it's just a reference to celebrity jeopardy, right?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Led me to this:

In case your mind went where mine did, it's supposed to be hoof prints.

"It's in memory of my 27 year old arab mare and 17 year old thoroughbred gelding I lost 3 years ago."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

hyperhazard posted:

Led me to this:

"It's in memory of my 27 year old arab mare and 17 year old thoroughbred gelding I lost 3 years ago."

First thought was dirty, then it was fighter pilot helmets, then it was weird landscapes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

First thought was dirty, then it was fighter pilot helmets, then it was weird landscapes.

My first thought was dirty and then my second thought was pie. And then Tipis.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I briefly thought Horseshoe Crab.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

hyperhazard posted:

Led me to this:

It's hard to tell because the hooves are barefoot. I knew what they were right away, but I've had horses forever.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dogbrisket posted:

Kind curious about the giant loving scar running down the middle of dude's chest. I guess the shittoos are supposed to distract from it or whatevs.

Looks like open-heart surgery. My Dad's scar was like that after he had surgery.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Clitch posted:

I briefly thought Horseshoe Crab.

(I like the concept but the lineart is horrible.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A shameful tiger.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I always thought it was ballsacks, though? Because the plant that the Romans hosed out of existence had leaves or seedpods or something shaped like nutsacks? I don't know. I've literally been up all night.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A shameful tiger.

Fart in he own mouth? Surely not!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I know this is going to lighten up when healed and is a pretty decent portrait overall. But for now this is a drat convincing black face tattoo:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

razorrozar posted:

(I like the concept but the lineart is horrible.)

Except the lineart is supposed to look like a hand drawn reference? I think its a pretty decent marine biology tattoo except horseshoe crabs are visually meh.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

LingcodKilla posted:

...I think its a pretty decent marine biology tattoo except horseshoe crabs are visually meh.

Yeah, where where the heck would you have put a sea cucumber tat!?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

DandyLion posted:

Yeah, where where the heck would you have put a sea cucumber tat!?

On your wang, obviously.

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Thank you guys so much for the wonderful posts. Just when I think Im starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of lovely local guys, Toronto and the GTA prove to be a never ending source of bad tattoos:

This woman(?) boldly chose to get a moon overlayed with globs of jizz on her back.

BhindiBhaji Boogie has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Apr 23, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

As a palate cleanser for those awful tattoos, may I present you with some fuckin' amazing tattoos.

The artistry of Brian Woo

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

As a palate cleanser for those awful tattoos, may I present you with some fuckin' amazing tattoos.

So many of them are gonna look like utter shite. So sooooo many of them.

Sure they look good 24 hours after getting done, in black and white, in 500x500px, but give it 6 months and watch them become an unfocused blurry blob.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Serious question: How do you draw a tattoo this perfectly round? Trace a circle on their skin and hope your arm doesn't wobble while following the line?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

hyperhazard posted:

Serious question: How do you draw a tattoo this perfectly round? Trace a circle on their skin and hope your arm doesn't wobble while following the line?

That is a sick ouroboros.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

dpack_1 posted:

So many of them are gonna look like utter shite. So sooooo many of them.

Sure they look good 24 hours after getting done, in black and white, in 500x500px, but give it 6 months and watch them become an unfocused blurry blob.

Well then, they'll be perfect fodder for this thread after all, won't they.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

Errr... you do know how a tattoo is performed right?

That design would have either been done on a computer, or by hand, with a compass to draw the perfect circle and matching vertebrae. It then would have been ran through a thermalfax copier to apply the design to some carbon paper, and then that would have been transferred onto the client's skin. Voila, you have a perfect circle to follow with your tattoo machine.

Perfect geometric shapes aren't a new thing in the tattoo world.

Super fine lined shite however, is relatively new, and people are flocking to it like flies on poo poo in an attempt to be unique and different. The fallout in a years time will be palpable.

See HERE for an article on what i'm going on about.

Or just look at this:

And if you think that one is just an amateur copy of another this pretty much shows it is the same tattoo just months apart:

Take note of all the fine lines in the hair and beard, the detail in the forehead, between of the nose ridge, in the cheeks... all faded to gently caress all.

That is hyper realisim in tattoos my friends, and it's gonna be loving hilarious when people start realising how poo poo it really is.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

It also looks like some additional work was done to it. The 2 lines under the right eye (left as you look at it) do not connect in the original, but do in the "later" picture.

I don't know a ton about tattoos, so why do some areas darken while others lighten up?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I don't know, some of those lines line up but others seem to different to be the same tattoo, specifically the shape of the nose hole on the upper left side. The mouth is slightly off too but I can't tell if he's just twisting his arm different.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dpack_1 posted:

That design would have either been done on a computer, or by hand, with a compass to draw the perfect circle and matching vertebrae. It then would have been ran through a thermalfax copier to apply the design to some carbon paper, and then that would have been transferred onto the client's skin. Voila, you have a perfect circle to follow with your tattoo machine.

Super fine lined shite however, is relatively new, and people are flocking to it like flies on poo poo in an attempt to be unique and different. The fallout in a years time will be palpable.

See HERE for an article on what i'm going on about.

Or just look at this:

And if you think that one is just an amateur copy of another this pretty much shows it is the same tattoo just months apart:

Take note of all the fine lines in the hair and beard, the detail in the forehead, between of the nose ridge, in the cheeks... all faded to gently caress all.

That is hyper realisim in tattoos my friends, and it's gonna be loving hilarious when people start realising how poo poo it really is.

I'm still not sold it's the same tattoo. Mostly because of the hair on the left side. There are some strands with more of a gap between them in that fresh piece and in the other one they are a lot closer together. I'm not saying it's not possible they're the same, but I'm not 100% believing that they are. If it did in fact fade that poorly it was probably done lovely to being with. I've seen plenty of tattoos done in a similar style hold up pretty well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you told me the tattoo on the left was a touch up of the right, I'd believe you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

rockcity posted:

I'm still not sold it's the same tattoo. Mostly because of the hair on the left side. There are some strands with more of a gap between them in that fresh piece and in the other one they are a lot closer together. I'm not saying it's not possible they're the same, but I'm not 100% believing that they are. If it did in fact fade that poorly it was probably done lovely to being with. I've seen plenty of tattoos done in a similar style hold up pretty well.

One of the upper incisors completely changes what side the white highlight is on. Its not the same tattoo.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For me it's the eyes that are the giveaway that they're not the same. They're completely different shapes.

That said, I'm pretty sure the last time this came up someone had a link that DID prove it was the same tattoo somehow. Like a full body shot of the guy in both pictures or something ... but I can't find it. I also may just be remembering wrong.

e: I remember, it was the mole on the dude's arm (in the hair on the left) that was cited as evidence ... which is pretty compelling.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Apr 24, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

dpack_1 posted:

Of course I know tattoos are made. But if I had to trace a circle transfer, I guarantee most of it would be a wiggly mess. It seems to be something a lot of tattoo artists have trouble with, if this thread is any indication.

Then again, there's a reason I'm not an artist, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Here are the highlights from Brian's gallery

BhindiBhaji Boogie has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Apr 24, 2015

• Locked thread