Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

That trend is driving me batty. I wear size large gloves, if my thumb can't reach all the way across a phone's screen while holding it comfortably, IT'S TOO loving LARGE. It's at the point where I'm not going to be able to keep up with current mobile technology without lugging a surfboard-sized "phone" around with me.

Yeah, I don't blame you. Before I got my oneplus one, I didn't think I wanted a phablet but it's really nice and I got used to the size really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah, I don't blame you. Before I got my oneplus one, I didn't think I wanted a phablet but it's really nice and I got used to the size really fast.

I bought my girlfriend a OnePlus One. I hate using the thing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got a ticket for blowing a red light. The cop only knew I blew it cuz he did too and we passed each other at the same time through the light. Fucker made a U'ie in the middle of traffic to mab me too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got a ticket for blowing a red light. The cop only knew I blew it cuz he did too and we passed each other at the same time through the light. Fucker made a U'ie in the middle of traffic to mab me too.

Karmic retribution for your splashing incident, plus, you ran the red light like a dick.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? 'Cause running a red light is a capital A-rear end in a top hat offense.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

I bought my girlfriend a OnePlus One. I hate using the thing.

Because of the size? The software leaves a little to be desired. A lot of the appeal for me is being able to develop for it though. I'm trying to move from my QA job to development.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

A yellow light in MA means hurry up.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

A yellow light in MA means hurry up.

A light that's been red less than 2 seconds means "gun it!" in the Triangle area of NC. Probably because the state's never heard of traffic engineers and nobody wants to wait eight minutes at an intersection of a 45 MPH boulevard and a 55 MPH highway because nobody's figured out that people are primarily turning ONTO the highway from the boulevard in the morning and FROM the highway to the boulevard in the evenings. And similar other 60-IQ level flow and timing issues around here.

But we do have 70 MPH interstate highways with a real traffic speed of around 80-82 most days, so we've got that going for us.

mariooncrack posted:

Because of the size? The software leaves a little to be desired. A lot of the appeal for me is being able to develop for it though. I'm trying to move from my QA job to development.

Yeah, I've got no problem with the interface (which is hugely customizable) or the software. It's just too big.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I just came home to a bunch of my friends tripping balls on shrooms watching Avatar all laughing their asses off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Phablets and phones with a huge screen are a liability if your not working in an office environment too- something bout the size of an iPhone 5 is about the limit you want to go or it's just too easy to smash screens bumping into things getting in and out of trucks and machinery or working on the ground. Half my coworkers have big phones. Coincidently most of my co workers have a screen repair company's number memorised.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

meatpimp posted:

Karmic retribution for your splashing incident, plus, you ran the red light like a dick.

Sometimes I feel like we're on the same wave length, and it scares me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Ferremit posted:

Phablets and phones with a huge screen are a liability if your not working in an office environment too- something bout the size of an iPhone 5 is about the limit you want to go or it's just too easy to smash screens bumping into things getting in and out of trucks and machinery or working on the ground. Half my coworkers have big phones. Coincidently most of my co workers have a screen repair company's number memorised.

I've had my Nexus 4 going strong since the day it was released. Battery still holds a charge, couple scratches on the screen and the back, but neither the front or back glass has ever broken.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Between work and school, it's been hard to troubleshoot for more than a few minutes at a time with T-Mobile - it's all been via Twitter. But texting still doesn't work unless I use GO SMS; they've agreed that the SIM should be replaced. Luckily there's a corporate owned T-Mobile store 10 minutes from home, so I'll probably knock that out tomorrow.

I'm kind of thinking of picking up a modern Windows Phone just to see what it's like; I have access to Windows Phone 10 anyway. Not as a primary phone, but it'd be neat to see what it's like, and the Nokia's are dirt cheap used.

Wrar posted:

My TMO Galaxy S4 has been increasingly unable to find it's SIM card randomly. Well, those bouts have gotten more and more frequent. In desperation, I flashed a rooted stock ROM. Storage encryption came up and then decided it couldn't see the SIM anymore. I'm done.

That's exactly what happened to my stepdad's TMO SGS4. :confused: He was totally stock though.

MustardFacial posted:

I've had my Nexus 4 going strong since the day it was released. Battery still holds a charge, couple scratches on the screen and the back, but neither the front or back glass has ever broken.

My N4 was still going great (aside from scratches) when I sold it to Meatpimp.

The USB port on my N5 is getting a little flaky with data (not with charging), but only with cheap cables. I picked up a MediaBridge cable and no problems whatsoever, best made USB cable I've ever ever used. It's the white version though, and the back is stained light pink from a certain furball knocking a Mike's Harder Cranberry Lemonade over on my desk one night. Phone was in a case, which elevated it enough to keep the insides dry, but the back of the case retained some fluid.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mariooncrack posted:

I like QA. I get paid good money to make fun of other peoples mistakes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Found this while out reading meters today. Kingsnakes own :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

Yes they do, and they keep the other snakes at bay :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clean an organized and lockable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

That's awesome, did you keep him? Once when I was doing construction I caught a gorgeous Corn snake, put him in a box to take home and he got out somehow even though I sealed it up really good, snakes can get out of almost anything :ninja:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

some texas redneck posted:

I'm kind of thinking of picking up a modern Windows Phone just to see what it's like; I have access to Windows Phone 10 anyway. Not as a primary phone, but it'd be neat to see what it's like, and the Nokia's are dirt cheap used.

Windows phone 8.1 is a pretty good OS but it is let down by the lack of apps and by bing/IE. cortana is awesome.

I came from an iphone and it is so nice having a "phone" that works but I still use and carry round my iphone (with no sim in) so I can use the non business apps and games I want and chrome.

Windows phone 10 preview has some nice features and updates from 8.1 but is totally poo poo for being useable and stuff actually working
I upgraded my nokia 635 to 10 and it made it unusable due to the broken apps and constant crashes and Microsoft are really slow at fixing,updating and finishing things. (Cortana on 8.1 is still 'beta' in the UK!)

I've now got 8.1 on a nokia 930 and it is a great phone again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

I miss flip phones.
Phones always get pulverized in my pockets, as does everything else. Even my wallets only last a year. I've been tempted by the Chinese tough phones I've seen on Aliexpress but I think the baseband is wrong. My other half keeps going "oh god you've broken another phone". So I only buy really cheap used ones on eBay.

What section of the forums would I ask about troubleshooting a UHF CB? It's the one in the Niva that's never worked. I got a handheld for combined xmas / b'day so the first thing I did after figuring out how to set the basics was try talking to the car CB. I found out that it transmits fine but doesn't receive. That's kind of weird because I still hear proper static when I turn the squelch down. Usually when rx blows it's silence, a hum or a whistle. Static says it's receiving something.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Finally can confirm that In-N-Out is one of the best drat burger chains out there. I'm in San Jose until Monday, any other nearby California things I should check out?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Finally can confirm that In-N-Out is one of the best drat burger chains out there. I'm in San Jose until Monday, any other nearby California things I should check out?

When DICKPOCALYPSE was down here last weekend, he mentioned Kirk's Steakburgers was one of his favorites, so maybe you should give that a shot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tide posted:

That's awesome. Who is it? I may buy a TV from them if this is how they treat customers.

PC Richard & Son. I'd definitely shop there again after how they handled this.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Got called back for an interview. A twenty five minute drive and more money, also the shop is in a nicer location and nowhere near a plow truck company. Plow trucks make me want to stop turning a wrench sometimes.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

I like QA. I get paid good money to make fun of other peoples mistakes.

I like QA too and the people that I work with but I have a bachelor's in computer science and I'm bored with QA. The extra money would be nice too.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

leica posted:

That's awesome, did you keep him? Once when I was doing construction I caught a gorgeous Corn snake, put him in a box to take home and he got out somehow even though I sealed it up really good, snakes can get out of almost anything :ninja:

Nah, I wouldn't have any way to keep him at my current place. I just took my meter read and then put the lid back on the box and left him alone. I figured he wasn't hurting anything, no sense in loving with him :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mariooncrack posted:

I like QA too and the people that I work with but I have a bachelor's in computer science and I'm bored with QA. The extra money would be nice too.

Certainly understandable. One of my big regrets in life was dropping out of college because I was bored. That's bit my in the rear end more than a few times in my life, but I still hate school so don't really want to do nights to finish.

As far as developers vs. QA, the developers where I'm at are only a single grade higher than the QA positions, and I hate coding, so it is not really something I want to do. I may end up in a developer position some day, but it would be on the data side, not coding (they use the same grades/titles).

On the other hand, I could just keep doing what I'm doing and never have to deal with managing people or having anyone reporting to me (been there, I hated it) and make 6 figures anyway. I'll never get rich like a truly brilliant coder potentially can, but I can live quite comfortably and be happy with my job (mostly).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

When DICKPOCALYPSE was down here last weekend, he mentioned Kirk's Steakburgers was one of his favorites, so maybe you should give that a shot.

I actually went before getting on my plane and it was still really good, but there's also Taco Bravo which is like a cheaper, even shittier taco bell but goddamn delicious for drunk food and I just can't get enough.

Also

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Picked up a Lumia 635 and it's a mixed bag that's mostly good. I'm less than impressed with mobile IE.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I just remembered another place. Country Inn on Saratoga Ave next to Westgate mall. It's nothing fancy, diner food, but a good solid meal at a fair price with good servings. Great place to have a meal if youre burnt out on fast food , and dont want to roll the dice on a random walk in somewhere.

E: and Smoke Eaters, either on Saratoga-sunnyvale or over in Santa Clara. As featured on man v food, try the Hellfire Challenge if you want to know what pain truly is like. Or just go with any of 7 levels of heat below that, I like about level five to six on my wings and tenders.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 24, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My mom got a flat, and I had to change it using just the trunk kit (aka, no breaker bar).
I just want to say that if you work at a shop and torque lugs on without a torque wrench you can kiss the fattest part of my rear end. They even seriously overtorqued the wheel lock.
Also, the loving wheel was basically welded to the rotor, rotated in November my rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Dad's Golf (soon to be mine) has some rust on the front of the lower rocker panels right at the wheel wells. No rust on the fender panels, just the rockers below the doors. Seeing as it has 350,000+ miles on it, how much of a poser will I look like if I just remove and treat the rust and then stick some tasteful ebay ground effects on it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You would look like a poser that really wants a GTI instead of a TDI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

You would look like a poser that really wants a GTI instead of a TDI.

So, pretty much every VW owner?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You asked!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
IM LAYING NAKED IN MY ROOM POST SHOWER AND I JUST HAD THE HUGEST loving WOLF SPIDER RUN FROM THE BACK OF THE COUCH ACROSS MY BARE CHEST AND DISSAPEAR SOMEWHERE INTO THE DARKNESS

IT WAS LIKE TWO INCHES ACROSS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

they know their master

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you have to take another shower after you poo poo yourself?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'll let you know after I finish digging couch out of my rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm going to visit my last remaining grandparents next week for his 94th birthday (he lives on the other end of the west coast). I don't know how many chances I'll get to see him again. I feel like I should ask him questions and tell him what's going on with me and absorb information, but I don't know what to talk about.

• Locked thread