Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I don't think that guys' actually read WarSeer

(edit)
and it can't be just me that thinks the assassin models on there silly bases look amazingly out of place on that game board ?

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:qq:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
To be fair, it used to be the best Warhammer thread on the internet. No question.

The trolling has hurt it, as did some of the legit crazy people, but most of the good people left as the game slowly went to poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pointing at Moola in the corner doing his business while the entire ship is on fire doesn't exactly seem like the fire came out of his rear end

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, perhaps the bad thread would not be full of people making "bad" post if gw was not a bad company that made bad games.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

To be fair, it used to be the best Warhammer thread on the internet. No question.

The trolling has hurt it, as did some of the legit crazy people, but most of the good people left as the game slowly went to poo poo.

This is definitely true, it used to be great

but as you say the game didn't used to be total hot garbage

If you go back and look at some of my ancient posts they are all me excitedly posting about conversions and army lists and stuff

simpler times

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What are you talking about? The game has always been hot garbage, that's not a new development. That's why I don't understand the posts now.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

This is definitely true, it used to be great

but as you say the game didn't used to be total hot garbage

If you go back and look at some of my ancient posts they are all me excitedly posting about conversions and army lists and stuff

simpler times

I can hardly remember being excited over warhams. Seems like it happened to a different person. When I think about how much money I spent on that poo poo i WISH it happened to a different person :(

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What are you talking about? The game has always been hot garbage, that's not a new development. That's why I don't understand the posts now.

It's worse with dumber and dumber decisions

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

cmon dude

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

At least they still make fun tabletop RPGs. With a half-decent GM they are incredibly :black101: in all the best ways.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress yeah m8

you been following our Slam Sector tales?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Moola posted:

gently caress yeah m8

I bookmarked it but kept forgetting. Will probably start following it this weekend.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

everythingWasBees posted:

At least they still make fun tabletop RPGs. With a half-decent GM they are incredibly :black101: in all the best ways.

Playing Rogue Trader as an Ork and totally trashing an entire Imperial base is strangely liberating. Try it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As someone who played a Rogue Trader for 3-4 years, yes they do.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Except that isn't GW, is it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread is better when it's not just helldumping the bad thread.

The bad thread is always bad (because it's about a bad game) but it's at least readable when it's just people asking rules questions and showing off their painted models.

GW's rules and games have always been sub-par compared to companies that write good rules, but their IP has carried them for decades. Now their IP is weaker, and their games have hit a new nadir of terribleness, and it's awfully tempting to gawk at the poor bastards who are still somehow trying to defend either.

But this is just nerd hierarchy wanking. They're enjoying and defending Warhammer; somewhere else, some people we can comfortably sneer about are enjoying live-action vampire roleplay, or making up folk songs about star trek, or going to conventions dressed in fur suits.

Meanwhile, other people are happy to sneer at socially awkward goons who get overly excited about Star Wars toys, engage in long debates about the success or failure of a more or less totally inconsequential small-cap British toy company, and spend most of their free time posting on an obscure web forum attached to a fairly one-note comedy web site.

I'm not trying to gray area away the fact of the Bad Thread's badness. Just... have a little perspective and maybe a little compassion too. It's sad that people are spending small fortunes on the sub-par products of a company that holds them in absolute contempt. It's sad that a company that used to make some OK products and had a really fun, if garishly melodramatic, set of fantasy and SF settings to explore and enjoy, has squandered so much goodwill and seen an unprecedented exodus of its fans. It's sad that some folks are still so financially and emotionally committed to their previous interests and purchases that they're defending indefensible rules changes and products.

But eh. It gets old grinding away at them after a while, doesn't it? Some folks you're just not going to get through to. Leave them to their thing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

JerryLee posted:

It was originally GW and then Fantasy Flight took over, I think.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

JerryLee posted:

And I think even FFG has been slowing the Warhammer 40k rpg products down recently :smith:

Not that I can blame them when they have a much profitable license with the Star Wars side! The Star Wars RPGs have been excellent with way better rules than wh40k stuff!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

gently caress yeah m8

Slam Sector is funny and cool and I would like to participate in any future shenanigans, scrunty or not.

I'm worried about Urok. :ohdear:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

But eh. It gets old grinding away at them after a while, doesn't it? Some folks you're just not going to get through to. Leave them to their thing.

It can do, but.. There's a Dark Angels player at my local club, he's insanely into the background, and I don't think there's a facebook group for 40k that hes' Not in - a post appeared on my timeline from a group he'd posted in that's based in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. We're in North Kent, UK- and he doesn't have a passport.

We got him playing Warmachine (He lost a 40k game and a bet to someone else that plays Khador and Grey Knights) - and he enjoyed it. I've also got him interested in Infinity; for me at least, it's not hating on the game; it's remembering the fun I used to have with it, that I'm not having with other games with better rulesets, and wanting to bring other people back to enjoyable games (I Honestly had one guy say playing with 3 knights was good, as although there's no maneuver in the game, it's fun to roll lots of dice.... if that's the case, play Yahtzee ffs)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Slam Sector is funny and cool and I would like to participate in any future shenanigans, scrunty or not.

I'm worried about Urok. :ohdear:

I would kinda like to start a Skeleton Crew campaign at some point

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

It was originally GW and then Fantasy Flight took over, I think.

It was Games Workshop for all of 15 minutes before they completely pulled the plug to devote all of Black Library's attention to novels. If it weren't for FFG all but two individual 40K RPG books wouldn't exist.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I think I've said it before: I would love to have a thread where we could post cool models, talk about narrative campaigns, etc. and have it generally understood that Games Workshop, the entity, was completely indefensible and mockworthy. The trouble is that for me, it actually does impair my experience when the thread is also full of people talking about how the new rules aren't really that bad, or casually mentioning how many acts of oral sex they performed in the Warhammer World bathroom. I don't see why it ought to be "their" thread any more than "ours," but that's how it de facto became for a long time. There may have been a massive amount of threadshitting in that thread recently, but that's after how many months of it earning the moniker of Bad Thread?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I think I've said it before: I would love to have a thread where we could post cool models, talk about narrative campaigns, etc. and have it generally understood that Games Workshop, the entity, was completely indefensible and mockworthy. The trouble is that for me, it actually does impair my experience when the thread is also full of people talking about how the new rules aren't really that bad, or casually mentioning how many acts of oral sex they performed in the Warhammer World bathroom. I don't see why it ought to be "their" thread any more than "ours," but that's how it de facto became for a long time. There may have been a massive amount of threadshitting in that thread recently, but that's after how many months of it earning the moniker of Bad Thread?

That thread exists, and it is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694065

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I think it's a knee-jerk reaction to the elDar bullshit. Most of the thread was incredulous at how stupid that codex is, but then a few people came out of the woodwork with the no this is good you're all overreacting eldar needed this posts. That's provoked a lot of people to shout them down giving us the current state of the thread. Hopefully it'll calm down with a little time.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

We would all like this.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah seriously. That is a generally quite positive thread, when people aren't complaining about the skeletons. It's the thread that spawned the scrunt adventure going on in TG, which is one of the best RPG PBP threads this forum has ever seen. There was a guy coming in occasionally posting about his other 40k adventure thing, where some guys were on a raft and they have an ancient Mr. Coffee artifact? That was great too.

There is a lot of white noise in that thread too, but it's generally pretty amiable and you can just skim right past it. Absolutely nobody is going to object to folks posting cool pics of their warhams dollies. On the other hand, nobody is going to get away with defending GW's bullshit in there.

The one thing that thread isn't particularly good for is asking rules questions and posting lists, which is why the Bad Thread really should still exist and be for that.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah seriously. That is a generally quite positive thread, when people aren't complaining about the skeletons. It's the thread that spawned the scrunt adventure going on in TG, which is one of the best RPG PBP threads this forum has ever seen. There was a guy coming in occasionally posting about his other 40k adventure thing, where some guys were on a raft and they have an ancient Mr. Coffee artifact? That was great too.

There is a lot of white noise in that thread too, but it's generally pretty amiable and you can just skim right past it. Absolutely nobody is going to object to folks posting cool pics of their warhams dollies. On the other hand, nobody is going to get away with defending GW's bullshit in there.

The one thing that thread isn't particularly good for is asking rules questions and posting lists, which is why the Bad Thread really should still exist and be for that.

Wait, there's a scrunt adventure RPG happening? I want in on that

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

HiveCommander posted:

Talk to DOWN JACKET FETISH aka scalded schlong, we may have an opening for a technoscrunt soon.

I feel compelled to point out that while SLAM SECTOR is the scrunt's bollocks there are quite a number of 40K PbP games going on in the Game Room at any given point, some of which even manage to get off the ground.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Scrunt adventure?! Holy hell thats awsome!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

I feel like everyone wants in on that. I certainly do.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Really? Because from when I've looked into that thread (granted, much less often after it was moved from GBS) it seems to be mostly about posting random art of skeletons and scrunts. Which is absolutely great to have a thread for, don't get me wrong, but it's not "the bad thread, but not bad." Which is what I'd be looking for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A summary of our latest scruntventure: we organized an ambush to hijack a fuel tanker to start off our plans of becoming a roving Mad Max gang of vehicular scrunts. We waylayed a bunch of biker outriders with a rope and got stuck in while they panicked and called in artillery support. Then some Tauroses showed up but our heavy gunner scrunt has an autocannon, only then Moola decided to inject himself with EXPERIMENTAL COMBAT DRUG and gained Dark Elder powers, leaping onto a Tauros like some quicktime event bullshit. My own secret psyker spent the whole fight using secret psychic powers with mixed results until I finally said gently caress it, pushed on Dominate, and made two Sentinel pilots and a shotgunner kill themselves (sort of) but caused a psychic lightning storm that drained all power in our getaway vehicles' batteries. Meanwhile even more scrunts slammed some EXPERIMENTAL COMBAT DRUG, one got Necron powers and one caught fire, while our sniper disintegrated someone with a tox round.

Also several tanks will be arriving soon.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

JerryLee posted:

Really? Because from when I've looked into that thread (granted, much less often after it was moved from GBS) it seems to be mostly about posting random art of skeletons and scrunts. Which is absolutely great to have a thread for, don't get me wrong, but it's not "the bad thread, but not bad." Which is what I'd be looking for.

It took mod intervention to get a thread about the APB video game that wasn't "the bad thread"

Is WH40K as bad as APB?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Moola posted:

cmon dude

He's got part of a point. 40K isn't really any worse rules-wise today than it has ever been. For every lovely thing about 7E, you can also mention a good thing about it and a corresponding lovely thing from an earlier edition. There has never been a well written and balanced edition of any GW game. Complain about Eldar D, sure. It is bullshit. But it's the same kind of bullshit as hawk exarchs with vortex grenades and invincible scoring falcons. But we didn't mind that bulshit as much back then because their weren't X-wangs and DZCs for us to look at and say, "hey, this is a decent game made by people who aren't clearly clueless assholes."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

He's got part of a point. 40K isn't really any worse rules-wise today than it has ever been. For every lovely thing about 7E, you can also mention a good thing about it and a corresponding lovely thing from an earlier edition. There has never been a well written and balanced edition of any GW game. Complain about Eldar D, sure. It is bullshit. But it's the same kind of bullshit as hawk exarchs with vortex grenades and invincible scoring falcons. But we didn't mind that bulshit as much back then because their weren't X-wangs and DZCs for us to look at and say, "hey, this is a decent game made by people who aren't clearly clueless assholes."

I'm not sure how to respond to this because the bolded part explains why people are acting the way they are now, when we just sort of put up with it before.

So, yes. I agree. the game balance has always been pretty bad, but now we have better alternatives its WAAAAY more obvious

This is why people continue to get more and more irate with GW when they keep pushing lovely rules out, because we know it could be done better

PeterWeller posted:

He's got part of a point. 40K isn't really any worse rules-wise today than it has ever been.

I dont agree with this at all. the balance has always been bad, but now the balance is bad, AND EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE, and the prices are 300% higher

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Like, i dont see how you can look at the ten million pointless supplements, the unnecessary codex revamps and additions (loving Khorne Demonkin...), the crap 7th added to the game (psychic phase, unbound) and now the previously most powerful codex getting re-released 2 years later and being EVEN MORE POWERFUL and poorly balanced...

and just be like, yeah well its always been like this w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
40k used to be better by sheer virtue of there not being many better games out there back then. And in comparison with a lot of the rulesets out there at the time, it was practically streamlined. I still remember the really old 'nards complaining about how kiddified the rules were.

The problem isn't that it was never good, it's that it hasn't kept up. And, sometimes, actively slides backwards.

• Locked thread