Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

i'm gonna have to stop posting in yospos if the class warfare lfing keeps ramping up

it's okay to be rich just don't be a dick about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

it's not okay to be rich sorry

working for a living is fundamentally different from working for the heck of it because why not it could be fun

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
behind every fortune is a crime

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

we could feed all the poors by grinding up the riches into hot dogs

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
eat the rich except for anyone who is rich and also reading this, to you i say give me your money

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're not going to call your current employer, that would be super hosed

which is what I was counting on when I was saying it's (probably) OK to lie about your (current presumably ongoing) salary if they're being dicks about it

E: counting on them not to call asking about salary to be clear

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

we could feed all the poors by grinding up the riches into hot dogs

its more economical to feed the poor to the poor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're not going to call your current employer, that would be super hosed

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it'd be ok to be rich if you're spending most of your money and meaningfully investing it as opposed to just hoarding cash money and money in the form of scarce important resources like some sort of enormous poo poo-dragon

i'd have a lot less problems with nyc rents being sky high if the high end luxury apartment market consisted of apartments that people actually lived in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr Dog posted:

it'd be ok to be rich if you're spending most of your money and meaningfully investing it as opposed to just hoarding cash money and money in the form of scarce important resources like some sort of enormous poo poo-dragon

i'd have a lot less problems with nyc rents being sky high if the high end luxury apartment market consisted of apartments that people actually lived in

literally knock on apartment doors in nyc and sf and if they are unoccupied for one calendar week they become temporary housing for the homeless. Renter still pays rent.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i used to work near a trump-branded building that had exactly the opposite zoning rules

they sold TOTALLY NOT CONDOMINIUMS that required the owners to live in them less than 180 days a year, so it could ostensibly be a "hotel" that isn't actually a hotel

an entire building of nothing but pied a terres, a black void of non-community

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also as it turns out the only people who will spend millions of dollars to "own" a "condo" that gets rented out as a hotel while they're not there is arab princelings

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

did somebody call your current employer while you were interviewing?
that's a dick move

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a dick move

when I was with Mozilla, I was driving with my CEO to dinner when he got a call from a VC friend of his. the guy was calling to do a backchannel reference on me for a portfolio company of his that I was interviewing with.

I think we both handled it quite gracefully.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a dick move

Motorola Solutions publicly posts a toll-free number that all future employers of previous Motorolans can call. Given your name and date of birth, they will give the caller your starting and ending pay grade and salaries to the nearest dollar.

The freemarket answer is "Don't work for MOtorola, then", and I am suggesting that every one of you do just that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Motorola Solutions publicly posts a toll-free number that all future employers of previous Motorolans can call. Given your name and date of birth, they will give the caller your starting and ending pay grade and salaries to the nearest dollar.

The freemarket answer is "Don't work for MOtorola, then", and I am suggesting that every one of you do just that.

that's hosed up

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

"Don't work for MOtorola, then"

i think that will be quite easy to achieve

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mishaq posted:

that's hosed up

the artful dodge of our whole Denver thing is that 2 years ago Motorola adjusted our facility's salaries to Schaumburg/Chicago cost of living parity, but new company didnt know that. So, while being 100% truthful with my salary, I played up the "BIG COST OF LIVING DIFF BETWEEN ARKANSAS AND DENVER", and even factoring in said cost of living difference I got a cash raise

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nice

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

when working with HR be honest about your salary but tell them what you expect as a salary range, using your absolute, awesome, gently caress you got mine, money as the bottom of that range. If they give you some bullshit about how 'oh well we have a policy we can only do 20%' tell them you're not interested in the role then and thank them for their time then, cause that's made up bullshit.

also, if HR comes back and makes an offer too low, just push back. If they keep pushing it ask for a call with HR and the hiring manager. At large enterprises HR is usually doing poo poo on their own and the actual hiring manager has no clue they might lose you as a candidate because you wanted $5,000 more a year.

we had people here talk to us later tell us that HR wouldn't give them $3,000 more a year because the title of the job in the job description had a salary range cap. We were never told and were told that the guy wanted way more money than the position offered. To change the title in the job desc woulda taken two seconds:

Software Engineer 2 3

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 23, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

we had people here talk to us later tell us that HR wouldn't give them $3,000 more a year because the title of the job in the job description had a salary range cap. We were never told and were told that the guy wanted way more money than the position offered. To change the title in the job desc woulda taken two seconds:

Software Engineer 2 3

if he could be a 3, why was he offered a 2 position?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

when working with HR be honest about your salary but tell them what you expect as a salary range, using your absolute, awesome, gently caress you got mine, money as the bottom of that range. If they give you some bullshit about how 'oh well we have a policy we can only do 20%' tell them you're not interested in the role then and thank them for their time then, cause that's made up bullshit.

also, if HR comes back and makes an offer too low, just push back. If they keep pushing it ask for a call with HR and the hiring manager. At large enterprises HR is usually doing poo poo on their own and the actual hiring manager has no clue they might lose you as a candidate because you wanted $5,000 more a year.

Software Engineer 2 3

this is true

i had two job offers my last job go around, one required me to move and one didnt

the one that required me to move had this exchange between me and the internal recruiter/hr:

"How flexible are you on that salary? I am not sure I can meet that number just yet. I have it in for the first leg of approvals. It may fall about 11K shorter than the number you gave to me earlier. I wanted to set expectations for you up front."

then when I held firm, offer letter comes for 4K less than what i asked with a signing bonus instead of relo to move

then i end up not taking the job because the other offer was for more and i didnt have to move

when i called to let them know i wasnt accepting, she was willing to go higher

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

'oh well we have a policy we can only do 20%' tell them you're not interested in the role then and thank them for their time then, cause that's made up bullshit.

and keep in mind that cash compensation is hovering about, what, 50% of your total employee cost? So if they're bickering over 5k range on a 100k job, it's really a 5k range on 200k/year of spend. Nobody sane would do that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

and keep in mind that cash compensation is hovering about, what, 50% of your total employee cost? So if they're bickering over 5k range on a 100k job, it's really a 5k range on 200k/year of spend. Nobody sane would do that.

hiring processes are frequently not sane

vectoral
Nov 26, 2007

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.
man, as a research chemist the idea of not being totally and immediately replaceable to my employer is so loving foreign to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vectoral posted:

man, as a research chemist the idea of not being totally and immediately replaceable to my employer is so loving foreign to me

I still have no idea why I ever got hired or why they don't disable my door fob. I figure eventually they'll reconcile some paperwork and pull me back with a "so there was a mistake a while back..."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

any time my door card doesn't work I have a bit of an "oh poo poo" moment

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

qirex posted:

hiring processes are frequently not sane

HR's job is to screen candidates and save the company money

They get a salary range and are told to keep it low, so they get told "the range is 100,000 to 115,000'. So they offer 100,000, and *MIGHT* be nice and offer 105,000. They generally get a 15% range they can play in, but their job is to gently caress you on salary.

Also, salary is only one thing, you should look at total compensation. HR is like a car dealer "ok, we'll give you that 115,000 you wanted but we had to lower your bonus target from 10 to 5%" or other poo poo like that.

You need to know what your total compensation is from salary, stock options, bonus targets, healthcare/dental and argue knowing exactly what you make.

When I got this job we were going to have to be on COBRA for a month. As a family it was going to be about $2,500 for the month. So I asked for a $3,500 signing bonus to cover that. HR hummed and hawwed and I told them to talk to the hiring manager. Then I get a call later that day saying they spoke with the hiring manager and wanted to let me know that I had 60 days to file for cobra payments and that I might not even need to pay it. To which I replied that I have a 3 year old and my wife had had cancer. She then told me the signing bonus was approved for $3,500. See, she was trying to get me to say 'oh maybe I won't need the money' before telling me whether or not the signing bonus was approved.

Always know that HR is only looking out for the company and not you.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

it's totally normal to provide this data to future employers. it has no compliance risk. it is a thing that HR departments do.

what's weird and hosed up is for your NEW job to call your CURRENT employer. calling $JOB - 1 is totally cool and normal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

when I was with Mozilla, I was driving with my CEO to dinner when he got a call from a VC friend of his. the guy was calling to do a backchannel reference on me for a portfolio company of his that I was interviewing with.

I think we both handled it quite gracefully.

backchannel references are dirty pool

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
btw if you're not using hte employer's insurance always ask for more money

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's totally normal to provide this data to future employers. it has no compliance risk. it is a thing that HR departments do.

what's weird and hosed up is for your NEW job to call your CURRENT employer. calling $JOB - 1 is totally cool and normal

I wasn't commenting on the legality or whatever. I was doing the literal only thing a labor employee can do in this situation, which is inform people and advise them that they should not work there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

backchannel references are dirty pool

I don't really think so, but that's probably just because everyone I've ever worked with loved me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I don't really think so, but that's probably just because everyone I've ever worked with loved me

are you 100% sure that everyone you have ever had a business relationship with you likes you and would 100% recommend you for something? remember they're not doing much verification on the reference they're getting

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

if he could be a 3, why was he offered a 2 position?

bureaucracy, i would guess

"this was posted as a 2 so if you want to hire as a 3 youll need to repost it, you're not approved for a senior, only an intermediate, etc."

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Always know that HR is only looking out for the company and not you.

pretend i blingee'd this

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's some impressive goalpost splitting

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

this is triggering me greatly. pls tell me this is ironic posting duTrieux.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

are you 100% sure that everyone you have ever had a business relationship with you likes you and would 100% recommend you for something?

oh, without a doubt. how could they not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Munkeymon posted:

which is what I was counting on when I was saying it's (probably) OK to lie about your (current presumably ongoing) salary if they're being dicks about it

E: counting on them not to call asking about salary to be clear

Unless there's a background check where they ask to see W-2s.

• Locked thread