Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bbcisdabomb posted:

They're drat well not getting a tip if they say anything about the beans I'm buying for my chili!

Oh, you are bringing chilli to the bris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Should grocery store clerks undergo mandatory circumcision? This American sez Hell Yes :911:

e:beaten whilst typing, the shame

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Life hack:
Cut off your foreskin. It makes your dick look bigger.

Edit:

Chard posted:

Should grocery store clerks undergo mandatory circumcision? This American sez Hell Yes :911:
gently caress YOU!!!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If they wanted to keep their foreskin they'd get a real job!

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Chard posted:

Smuggle small items future weapons out of a store through time travel by concealing them inside your newborn human slaves!
Terminator Life Hacks

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Smelly posted:

Wait what? When I had a bagboy job when I was like 15 I didn't have any union dues.

I worked at a union grocery store as a part time bagger/cart jockey and everyone was a dues-paying UCFW member. IIRC my bi-weekly deduction was something like $15, while full-time employees paid substantially more. I'm generally pro-union but we literally got nothing out of it, no benefits and if they wanted to fire you the union wouldn't lift a finger on your behalf - they once fired another bagger because they suspected he had stolen a donut from the bakery, and despite a lack of evidence the union refused to get involved.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Geoj posted:

I worked at a union grocery store as a part time bagger/cart jockey and everyone was a dues-paying UCFW member. IIRC my bi-weekly deduction was something like $15, while full-time employees paid substantially more. I'm generally pro-union but we literally got nothing out of it, no benefits and if they wanted to fire you the union wouldn't lift a finger on your behalf - they once fired another bagger because they suspected he had stolen a donut from the bakery, and despite a lack of evidence the union refused to get involved.

Holy poo poo. I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with that. Granted when I was working as one I was probably too young to fully grasp the concept of unions but that's messed up.

I just wasn't allowed to work past 10PM. Still made poo poo wages, but sadly it goes with the job.

Lifehack: don't be a bag boy. You'll hate yourself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Smelly posted:

Lifehack: don't be a bag boy. You'll hate yourself.

I have generally good memories, you can definitely do far worse as a minimum/near-minimum wage under 18 part time employee.

It was a pretty chill job, working after school I never had to deal with the rear end in a top hat managers (they all cleared out 15-20 minutes after my start time) and I preferred to push carts for as long as they'd let me stay outside, which was pretty long considering I was one of maybe three people who preferred it to bagging groceries.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Apr 23, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Guys I used beans to circumcise my cow tools do I have to tip them now?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Depends. Do you have a gun? You can avoid it happening if you have a gun

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But I can't afford a gun due to this wage gap, and I'm worried about applying for the union job since they run a credit check

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

death .cab for qt posted:

Depends. Do you have a gun? You can avoid it happening if you have a gun

I'd need a credit card to buy one and I don't have one.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd need a credit card to buy one and I don't have one.

Use a knife to get a card to get a gun so that no one can take your new card from you with a knife.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I dont know why people think these are argument topics this seems like a p solid plan

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Turfahurf posted:

I worked as a cook at KFC for around three years and got chicken juice/blood in my mouth and eyes dozens of times while breading chicken too fast, and have eaten very undercooked chicken by accident a couple times and nothing ever happened so I think I built up an immunity to salmonella.

My phone was probably covered in raw chicken germs all the time from using the calculator app while counting chicken for inventory too, come to think of it.

I worked in a full service meat department part time recently as a second job. We handled raw everything there. Every Saturday night, the whole meat case was emptied and cleaned out thoroughly. My dogs loved how I smelled when I got home though. :laugh: Raw meat isn't scary as long as it's fresh.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Lifehack: make a garden tool storage device from a barrel. Instantly converts to a mosquito breeding ground of stanky water after it rains!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH71oRbsE9Q

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like my steak well done, with ketchup.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Oh you son of a bitch.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yeah, how the hell could you possibly eat that garbage?

Using ketchup, what a goon. You obviously put mustard with it, jeez.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bagboys, and similar jobs, are there to give teenagers job experience. Something to cut their teeth on.
It's not a career. Person works there a while, moves on to something better. What, do you expect to get 20 bucks an hour right out of the gate?

I hope you get salmonella from a poor bagging job

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bagboys, and similar jobs, are there to give teenagers job experience. Something to cut their teeth on.
It's not a career. Person works there a while, moves on to something better. What, do you expect to get 20 bucks an hour right out of the gate?

Lifehack: live in a time and area where the economy isn't poo poo and you can get a better job than bag boy

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
its gettin good and meta in here :ocelot:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Lifehack: make a garden tool storage device from a barrel. Instantly converts to a mosquito breeding ground of stanky water after it rains!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH71oRbsE9Q

Drill several quarter-inch holes in the bottom so the rainwater runs right out. Do that to your outdoor garbage/recycling bins too -- my garbagemen understandably tend to not take the time to close the lids when it's raining.

Or just buy an old golf bag at a thrift store for your garden tools and keep them in the shed. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hang them on the wall? :confused:

No, dump them on the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A real lifehack would cobble together one tool that combines the uses of all the other tools.

It's like you guys aren't even trying to hack.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now that's just using a product according to its design, come on.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

razorrozar posted:

Lifehack: live in a time and area where the economy isn't poo poo and you can get a better job than bag boy

ABLOO ABLOOO I'm not making 100K shoving poo poo into bags :cry:
I barely make over 20K a year. I work second shift, and do pool work on the side with a guy.
I have bins set up outside, to sort scrap able metals into. The premise that there is literally nothing else beside bagging is quite silly.

Okay, accepting your premise that there is literally 100% nothing else you could do besides bag boy, then leave.
In the 70s, my stepfather had to travel to Texas to do sheet metal work. It being the 70s, and rural Arkansas, yeah there wasn't a whole lot of options.
Say you can't leave because of family? Mexicans do it all the time. Find work, mail back the money.

poo poo sucks now. poo poo has sucked before, and will suck again.
No, things aren't as good as it was in the 90s, or the 50s, or the 20s.
You do what you have to get by.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Apr 24, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What the hell is the crab trying to do, get out of the bucket?!? Get back here with the rest of us!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Chard posted:

What the hell is the crab trying to do, get out of the bucket?!? Get back here with the rest of us!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimatum_game#Layman.27s_explanation

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Needs an engine someplace, imho. Maybe a pulsejet.

e: #Lifehack

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

No one said they should make $100k. They should make a living wage. So should you. You shouldn't have to work as much as you do for the bare necessities of life.

There are massively overqualified people working as bag boys and fast food workers and convenience store clerks because it IS the only job they can find and they DO have families to support.

Also nice ad hominem - when did I say I was a bag boy or make this about me?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

razorrozar posted:

Also nice ad hominem - when did I say I was a bag boy or make this about me?

Why else would you be going to bat for them? Nobody does anything unless something's in it for them, altruism's a myth, i'm a gigantic fucker libertarian yadda yadda yadda BOOTSTRAPS

Lifehack: help improve the quality of life for those below the poverty line so you aren't completely hosed if you have a financial crisis and go bankrupt.

Inco has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Apr 25, 2015

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
E: poo poo, nevermind, didn't realize this was the lifehack thread.

Xythe has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Apr 25, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lifehack: cannibalize people who have the job you want. Eventually you may get the position, and in the mean time it's steak every night!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

What meaningful job experience can be gain from packing other people's groceries? Paying people to push a rock up hill and let it roll back down would probably be more meaningful and less demeaning.
Lifehack: Establish a functioning state in order for people to not be treated as indentured servants.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Basically that - learning to show up on time, leave on time, not be a cock to customers, operate as part of a team and follow orders from a manager are pretty important to enter the world of work.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So it's like the army?

:v:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Alhazred posted:

What meaningful job experience can be gain from packing other people's groceries? Paying people to push a rock up hill and let it roll back down would probably be more meaningful and less demeaning.
Lifehack: Establish a functioning state in order for people to not be treated as indentured servants.

Actually it's not demeaning at all and it teaches a lot of good skills. Like not acting like this, for example.

Case in point: my fiancee's brother acted like a massive douche bag all the time until he got a job in the real world bagging groceries and he realized you can't actually get away with acting like that for your whole life. Now he's a cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Spoeank posted:

Case in point: my fiancee's brother acted like a massive douche bag all the time until he got a job in the real world bagging groceries and he realized you can't actually get away with acting like that for your whole life. Now he's a cool dude.

Your "case in point" is someone who didn't learn that he shouldn't act like an rear end to other people without the possibility of punishment for his actions. That's the lowest level of moral development, the one people are expected to grow out of once they're out of diapers.
Lifehack: Progress to at least the reward-seeking stage so people don't think you deserve to work a poo poo job for poo poo pay.