Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Dohaeris posted:

I snagged a Mind Seize deck to play with friends, mostly kitchen table shenanigans. They have a lot of older cards, I only have stuff from current standard. Anything super cheap and effective I can throw in there to improve it?

Which Commander are you using? Pretty sure most of us have a deck built from the commanders you have in that deck so it is just a matter of figuring which one you like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dohaeris posted:

I snagged a Mind Seize deck to play with friends, mostly kitchen table shenanigans. They have a lot of older cards, I only have stuff from current standard. Anything super cheap and effective I can throw in there to improve it?

Only about 15 cards out of the 100 in that deck are really even playable. The only thing that keeps it going at all is its absurdly designed commander (spoiler: he's better in the command zone than on the battlefield 90% of the time).

Some cheap and effective additions:

Mulldrifter
Trinket Mage
Treasure Mage
Sword of the Meek
Fleshbag Marauder
Shriekmaw
Magister Sphinx
Myr Retriever
Akroma's Vengeance
Terminus
Rout
Mystic Remora
Fact or Fiction
Counterspell
Brainstorm
Ponder
Animate Dead
Necromancy
Merciless Eviction
Mortify
Supreme Verdict
Expedition Map

And a mana base. But I don't have enough time to outline a budget Esper mana base. Just stay away from CipT monocolor lands or any land that makes colorless mana.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Toshimo posted:

Only about 15 cards out of the 100 in that deck are really even playable. The only thing that keeps it going at all is its absurdly designed commander (spoiler: he's better in the command zone than on the battlefield 90% of the time).

And a mana base. But I don't have enough time to outline a budget Esper mana base. Just stay away from CipT monocolor lands or any land that makes colorless mana.

Mind Seize (Grixis) not Eternal Bargain(Esper).

And this list the fun lands you can play in edh: http://manabasecrafter.com/commander/nekusar-the-mindrazer You can put in any commander and get what you are looking for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bugsy posted:

Mind Seize (Grixis) not Eternal Bargain(Esper).

And this list the fun lands you can play in edh: http://manabasecrafter.com/commander/nekusar-the-mindrazer You can put in any commander and get what you are looking for.

Welp. gently caress. That was the first one that came back from Wizards when I googled it.

I'll look at it in a bit, but step 1 is probably get a new commander (if there even are any good Grixis ones).

Edit: Looks like Sedris or Garza Zol are your best options.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 22, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I would suggest Nekusar personally. Pick up some wheel effects and cards like Teferi's Puzzle Box and it gets vicious. People have a bad habit of putting in cards that just give opponents cards, while Wheel of Fortune/Winds of Change can do way more damage while not loosing advantage. Put in grafted exoskeleton if you hate people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fiend Computer posted:

I would suggest Nekusar personally. Pick up some wheel effects and cards like Teferi's Puzzle Box and it gets vicious. People have a bad habit of putting in cards that just give opponents cards, while Wheel of Fortune/Winds of Change can do way more damage while not loosing advantage. Put in grafted exoskeleton if you hate people.

He said he wanted to improve the deck, not make it worse.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I mean, every playgroup eventually has a Nekusar Guy. Run all the wheels, try to win in the most obvious and preventable way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, every playgroup eventually has a Nekusar Guy. Run all the wheels, try to win in the most obvious and preventable way.

"What do you mean letting my opponents draw half their deck isn't a good strategy?"

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Welp. gently caress. That was the first one that came back from Wizards when I googled it.

I'll look at it in a bit, but step 1 is probably get a new commander (if there even are any good Grixis ones).

Edit: Looks like Sedris or Garza Zol are your best options.

Or play Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and activate EDH hard mode. I can't remember where, but I saw a sick Mishra stax list that hit on the most unexpected axis.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's not that I don't agree that Nekusar Guy is a weak strategy, I just know that some people really like to cause damage and watch people run out their grip ASAP before another wheel can sweep it away.

You can do other stuff in the same deck without just being Nekusar.dek. Notion Thief loves wheels, as do Waste Not and Words of Waste. Waste Not feeds Words, and it feeds Sadistic Hypnotist. You can also load up on dig spells, get a couple of choice rituals, and try to rip out a massive Epic Experiment into Mind's Desire or similar Storm Horseshit.

hoobajoo posted:

Or play Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and activate EDH hard mode. I can't remember where, but I saw a sick Mishra stax list that hit on the most unexpected axis.

Mishra Stax relies on effects that counter your spells unless you pay extra, since you can stack the triggers so that your artifacts still enter the battlefield. Blood Funnel and Nether Void are the big ones, there.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've only played like a single game of Commander ever. I was going to start with Jeleva, being the face of the thing and seeming decent. That's a good list of stuff to start aiming for, and this is all fascinating to read even though I understand relatively little. Played a lot of standard, but only really started playing a few months ago.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dohaeris posted:

I've only played like a single game of Commander ever. I was going to start with Jeleva, being the face of the thing and seeming decent. That's a good list of stuff to start aiming for, and this is all fascinating to read even though I understand relatively little. Played a lot of standard, but only really started playing a few months ago.

IDK if it's what you're looking for, but if you ever want a non-traditional Jeleva deck, I went and built a creatureless version. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out as well as you'd like, other times it leads to insane bullshit:

That's a screencap I took from an earlier build of the deck when I first assembled it. If you can't tell, Withengar is equipped with Lightning Greaves. :v:

The deck basically works around enabling Jeleva's spellslinging as much as possible (protection, haste, copying triggered abilities/spells cast, copying spells from graveyards, even bouncing to re-cast her, etc.) and backs it up with a lot of artifact-based ramp in case Jeleva can't do it by herself and you just have to start hard-casting spells.

Some games you'll do nothing b/c you miss on spell reveals, other games are the epitome of magical Christmasland.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm making a Surrak deck. This is not intended to be super high-power, and there are a few things on here that I'm running more for flavor than utility. That said, I am curious what people might change. I'm a little creature heavy right now. My gameplan is ETB effects and blink, basically. Sorry for all the "1x", this was cut/paste from tappedout.

Commander: Surrak Dragonclaw

Creature (40)
1x AEther Adept
1x Atarka, World Render
1x Avenger of Zendikar
1x Bear's Companion
1x Birds of Paradise
1x Bloom Tender
1x Craterhoof Behemoth
1x Deadeye Navigator
1x Dragonlord Atarka
1x Eternal Witness
1x Fierce Empath
1x Flying Men
1x Garruk's Horde
1x Grim Poppet
1x Harbinger of the Hunt
1x Hornet Nest
1x Keranos, God of Storms
1x Mulldrifter
1x Nephalia Smuggler
1x Nevermaker
1x Nylea, God of the Hunt
1x Prophet of Kruphix
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
1x Rattleclaw Mystic
1x Sagu Mauler
1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Savage Knuckleblade
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x Shaman of the Great Hunt
1x Solemn Simulacrum
1x Sylvan Caryatid
1x Temur Charger
1x Temur War Shaman
1x Thassa, God of the Sea
1x Venser, Shaper Savant
1x Whisperer of the Wilds
1x Wood Elves
1x Woodfall Primus
1x Worldspine Wurm
1x Xenagos, God of Revels

Land (36)
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Breeding Pool
1x Cascade Bluffs
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Fire-Lit Thicket
1x Flooded Grove
1x Flooded Strand
1x Forest
1x Frontier Bivouac
1x Gruul Guildgate
1x Halls of Mist
3x Island
1x Izzet Guildgate
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Mossfire Valley
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1x Polluted Delta
1x Rugged Highlands
1x Simic Guildgate
3x Snow-Covered Forest
3x Snow-Covered Mountain
1x Steam Vents
1x Stomping Ground
1x Swiftwater Cliffs
1x Taiga
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Thornwood Falls
1x Vivid Creek
1x Windswept Heath
1x Wooded Foothills

Instant (3)
1x Momentous Fall
1x Stubborn Denial
1x Temur Battle Rage

Artifact (14)
1x Atarka Monument
1x Cloudstone Curio
1x Coldsteel Heart
1x Commander's Sphere
1x Crystal Shard
1x Erratic Portal
1x Gilded Lotus
1x Minion Reflector
1x Sol Ring
1x Soul Foundry
1x Swiftfoot Boots
1x Tawnos's Coffin
1x Temur Banner
1x Voyager Staff

Planeswalker (7)
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Dack Fayden
1x Domri Rade
1x Garruk Wildspeaker
1x Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1x Sarkhan Unbroken
1x Xenagos, the Reveler

Enchantment (2)
1x Cream of the Crop
1x Temur Ascendancy

Sorcery (1)
1x Tooth and Nail

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You can abuse the fact your creatures can't be countered by running Ice Caves and Planar Chaos. Besides that Surrak is just running the best red/green/blue stuff. Birthing pod wants to be in there with your current creature count, and with all the planeswalkers, doubling season and parallel lives probably have a spot too.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 23, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

If you want to abuse ETB effects you should look into acidic slime, man-o'-war, viridian shaman/corrupter, coiling oracle, mystic snake, virtually anything with evoke, brutalizer exarch, chancellor of the forge could get a little silly, any of the urza's block creatures that untap lands (palinchron in particular), most of the echo stuff like crater hellion and avalanche riders, dualcaster mage, fanatic of mogis, reclamation sage...

The list is huge and just goes on forever, which is the problem with goodstuff decks. I get a lot of use out of coiling oracle in my U/G deck, it's a better draw a card etb, reclamation sage, acidic slime, and man-o'-war.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

"What do you mean letting my opponents draw half their deck isn't a good strategy?"

My Nekusar deck wins. Even against agro Prossh and Grimgrin zombies. You have to work slow...1 card here and 1 card there. If you are going to have them draw half their deck you have to make sure you also have a card to force them to discard. It took me a year of revamping to put together a Nekusar deck that holds his own.

Nekusar EDH

There are 2 cards that I move in and out depending on what kind of decks I am playing...Obviously Leyline of the Void and Ixidron.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm making a Surrak deck. This is not intended to be super high-power, and there are a few things on here that I'm running more for flavor than utility. That said, I am curious what people might change. I'm a little creature heavy right now. My gameplan is ETB effects and blink, basically. Sorry for all the "1x", this was cut/paste from tappedout.

Commander: Surrak Dragonclaw

I just built a Surrak deck as well. Have a look and see if anything in it sparks your creativity. I tried to go a bit more midrangey...

Edit: I have to ask...what is everyone's fear of Prossh? Why does everyone think that Prossh is the end all be all of decks? All I hear on Reddit is that Prossh decks all win by turn 4 and there is nothing you can do about it.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 23, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

My Nekusar deck wins. Even against agro Prossh and Grimgrin zombies. You have to work slow...1 card here and 1 card there. If you are going to have them draw half their deck you have to make sure you also have a card to force them to discard. It took me a year of revamping to put together a Nekusar deck that holds his own.

Edit: I have to ask...what is everyone's fear of Prossh? Why does everyone think that Prossh is the end all be all of decks? All I hear on Reddit is that Prossh decks all win by turn 4 and there is nothing you can do about it.

I play Prossh, and I think it's a combination of him being capable of a quick voltron win or quick infinite combos (albeit with a very good draw) and counterspells not working well since you still get the tokens. I don't think he's nearly as degenerate as Derevi or Narset, but he's harder for most decks to hate out.

I also think you're right on about Nekusar, the best builds are slow, controlling burns that won't leave everyone with 18 life and 20 cards to answer you.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 23, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

I play Prossh, and I think it's a combination of him being capable of a quick voltron win or quick infinite combos (albeit with a very good draw) and counterspells not working well since you still get the tokens. I don't think he's nearly as degenerate as Derevi or Narset, but he's harder for most decks to hate out.

I also think you're right on about Nekusar, the best builds are slow, controlling burns that won't leave everyone with 18 life and 20 cards to answer you.

I learned the hard way you can't go into Nekusar thinking it was "everyone needs to draw cards NOW". That 1 damage here or there while you toss out a few more enchants is slow while you build a mana base. Then you drop something big (like damage for discards too), make everyone draw, then make everyone discard and win...otherwise you become public enemy number 1.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

OssiansFolly posted:

I learned the hard way you can't go into Nekusar thinking it was "everyone needs to draw cards NOW". That 1 damage here or there while you toss out a few more enchants is slow while you build a mana base. Then you drop something big (like damage for discards too), make everyone draw, then make everyone discard and win...otherwise you become public enemy number 1.

Nekusar is a lightning rod. People see it and know what's going to happen, which is why I like playing him. You're the villain, so embrace it!

Which is why I run Chains of Mephistopheles in addition to all the card draws.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Prossh is good because he can swing for 21 commander damage, execute an infinite combo or just hit you for 40 all pretty easily and without needing to dedicate as much deck space to those options as other decks because Prossh himself helps all three lines of attack.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Nekusar is a lightning rod. People see it and know what's going to happen, which is why I like playing him. You're the villain, so embrace it!

Which is why I run Chains of Mephistopheles in addition to all the card draws.

That is a neat card. Not sure where I would fit that into my deck but I am considering it. I had to remove my Wound Reflections recently to fit some more control aspects into the deck...I didn't have enough answers for the agro hate.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

OssiansFolly posted:

That is a neat card.

I've heard it's really bad in Legacy. It's still about $300 on its own, though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

OssiansFolly posted:

Leyline of Anticipation is pretty golden for this purpose. It basically doubles your mana base for dropping nukes, and gives you the freedom to hold counters and answers without giving up your main phase.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LordSaturn posted:

I've heard it's really bad in Legacy. It's still about $300 on its own, though.

It's super expensive, but cheap as poo poo on MTGO, which is when I play Nekusar.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

OssiansFolly posted:

Nekusar EDH

There are 2 cards that I move in and out depending on what kind of decks I am playing...Obviously Leyline of the Void and Ixidron.

I just built a Surrak deck as well. Have a look and see if anything in it sparks your creativity. I tried to go a bit more midrangey...

Every Nekusar deck needs a Helm of the Ghastlord for maximum degeneracy!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Kleedrac posted:

Every Nekusar deck needs a Helm of the Ghastlord for maximum degeneracy!

That's better than Curiosity (tho more expensive) which is what I run.

When I get home, I will export my decklist from MTGO and post it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jesus if that pile is what your decks look like after a year of refinement, I'm glad I'm not seeing where they started. That's the durdliest durdle for sure.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Jesus if that pile is what your decks look like after a year of refinement, I'm glad I'm not seeing where they started. That's the durdliest durdle for sure.

Meta is meta. Everyone I play with is all fast agro commander damage, so I just have to stall until the board is in a state that I can win. It is a slow burn into a boom. The Surrak deck is maybe 2 days old...I haven't had a chance to really play it much yet to see how it fairs.

Infinite Karma posted:

Leyline of Anticipation is pretty golden for this purpose. It basically doubles your mana base for dropping nukes, and gives you the freedom to hold counters and answers without giving up your main phase.

I had Anticipation in the deck for a long time, but had to swap it with Void because...everyone I play with runs graveyard shenanigans and it is easier to just have things die when they go into the graveyard as opposed to trying to counter everything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I've got about 20 more slots to fill for my Iraq War EDH deck (not counting lands). Need more recommendations! Can anyone think of a good stand-in for Bush or Hussein? Cheney was easy. :v:

1 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Contested War Zone
1 Desert
1 Opulent Palace
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Bribery
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Chainer, Dementia Master
1 Diplomacy of the Wastes
1 Diplomatic Immunity
1 Drown in Sorrow
1 Engineered Explosives
1 False Peace
1 Formation
1 Goblin Kaboomist
1 Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
1 Incite War
1 Infiltrate
1 Invasion Plans
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Jeskai Infiltrator
1 Jihad
1 Karona, False God
1 Lightmine Field
1 Lust for War
1 Mana Vault
1 Mass Appeal
1 Master Warcraft
1 Minister of Pain
1 Misinformation
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mortarpod
1 Numot, the Devastator
1 Palace Siege
1 Powerstone Minefield
1 Profaner of the Dead
1 Profit // Loss
1 Reparations
1 Righteous War
1 Righteousness
1 Sandstorm
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Spoils of Victory
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 To Arms!
1 War Flare
1 War Report
1 War's Toll

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, I've got about 20 more slots to fill for my Iraq War EDH deck (not counting lands). Need more recommendations!

1 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Contested War Zone
1 Desert
1 Opulent Palace
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Bribery
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Chainer, Dementia Master
1 Diplomacy of the Wastes
1 Diplomatic Immunity
1 Drown in Sorrow
1 Engineered Explosives
1 False Peace
1 Formation
1 Goblin Kaboomist
1 Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
1 Incite War
1 Infiltrate
1 Invasion Plans
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Jeskai Infiltrator
1 Jihad
1 Karona, False God
1 Lightmine Field
1 Lust for War
1 Mana Vault
1 Mass Appeal
1 Master Warcraft
1 Minister of Pain
1 Misinformation
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mortarpod
1 Numot, the Devastator
1 Palace Siege
1 Powerstone Minefield
1 Profaner of the Dead
1 Profit // Loss
1 Reparations
1 Righteous War
1 Righteousness
1 Sandstorm
1 Secure the Wastes
1 Spoils of Victory
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 To Arms!
1 War Flare
1 War Report
1 War's Toll

Why no Wrath of God or Damnation? Seems kind of fitting. I am sure Armageddon could fall under the same category.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Ravages of War, Crescendo of War, Tide of War, Total War, Triangle of War, Varchild's War-Riders, war barge, war monger, words of war.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugsy posted:

Ravages of War, Crescendo of War, Tide of War, Total War, Triangle of War, Varchild's War-Riders, war barge, war monger, words of war.

Ravages of War...maybe, but $450 is not reasonable (unless I find a nice proxy for it). Crescendo, Tide, and Total aren't thematically appropriate because the Iraq War never shifted from the possibility of a coalition *cough*US*cough* victory. Magical artifacts weren't use, so Triangle is out. We didn't conduct any amphibious operations as part of the surge, so War Barge is out. (In fact, the last use of amphibious assault in Iraq was during the 1990's Gulf War when the Brits and Australians landed on the Al-Faw Penninsula. Words of War is just bad in a deck with no real card drawing power.

Wamonger, maybe. I like the flavor text on it. I've been thinking about Varchild's War-Riders because I love the flavor of leaving survivor tokens for the opponent, but the name and art may be a little too much calvary-centric.

OssiansFolly posted:

Why no Wrath of God or Damnation? Seems kind of fitting. I am sure Armageddon could fall under the same category.

Yeah. Those were already supposed to be in there.
...Added.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AlternateNu posted:

So, I've got about 20 more slots to fill for my Iraq War EDH deck (not counting lands). Need more recommendations! Can anyone think of a good stand-in for Bush or Hussein? Cheney was easy. :v:

Alliance of Arms, Arms Dealer, Aurelia, the Warleader (Alter to Bush?) Hazeon Tamar (Hussein?)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Archenteron posted:

Hazeon Tamar (Hussein?)

Hazeon makes a pretty good commander. According to his current wording, if you play him, then he leaves play before the Sand Dudes appear, you still get the dudes, with no worries about them vanishing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Archenteron posted:

Alliance of Arms, Arms Dealer, Aurelia, the Warleader (Alter to Bush?) Hazeon Tamar (Hussein?)

Alliance of Arms is going to go in.

I think I'm going to make Kozilek, Butcher of Truth as the stand-in to Hussein considering the way he was portrayed, and Eldrazi Monument + Vandalize will be the analogue to his statue getting torn the gently caress down in the middle of Baghdad.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 24, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

AlternateNu posted:

Alliance of Arms is going to go in.

I think I'm going to make Kozilek, Butcher of Truth as the stand-in to Hussein considering the way he was portrayed, and Eldrazi Monument + Vandalize will be the analogue to his statue getting torn the gently caress down in the middle of Baghdad.

I dunno, doesn't Unstable Obelisk wrap that up in a single card better?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I'm working on that Mind Seize Nekusar deck I ask ed about. Played once and it was pretty fun. My friend was telling me for Commander Damage, I have to hit 21 exactly? If I make them take 30 points of Commander Damage, they don't die?

Any recommendations for weak cards to start replacing? Picked up Mulldrifter, Niv-mizzet the firemind, Time Reversal, Mind Funeral, Nin the Pain Artist, and I have some newer stuff I might try to throw in there, like Crux of Fate.

Default Mind Seize list: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=514617

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dohaeris posted:

My friend was telling me for Commander Damage, I have to hit 21 exactly? If I make them take 30 points of Commander Damage, they don't die?

No, it's 21 or better - but Nekusar pings aren't Commander Damage. Commander Damage is only combat damage, i.e. damage from attacking.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

LordSaturn posted:

No, it's 21 or better - but Nekusar pings aren't Commander Damage. Commander Damage is only combat damage, i.e. damage from attacking.

OOooh. Well that changes things then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dohaeris posted:

So I'm working on that Mind Seize Nekusar deck I ask ed about. Played once and it was pretty fun. My friend was telling me for Commander Damage, I have to hit 21 exactly? If I make them take 30 points of Commander Damage, they don't die?

Any recommendations for weak cards to start replacing? Picked up Mulldrifter, Niv-mizzet the firemind, Time Reversal, Mind Funeral, Nin the Pain Artist, and I have some newer stuff I might try to throw in there, like Crux of Fate.

Default Mind Seize list: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=514617

Step 1: Remove Opal Palace, Molten Slagheap, Urza's Factory, Temple of the False God, Rupture Spire, and maybe Grixis Panorama for either basic lands, Terramorphic Expanse, or lands that actually make 2 colors.
Step 2: Figure out how you want to win.
Step 3: Identify every card you have that doesn't do that thing, doesn't have an immediate impact, doesn't let you (not your opponent) draw/filter/tutor, and doesn't make mana.
Step 4: Start replacing those cards with cards that do.
Step 5: Why are you putting worthless durdles like Mind Funeral in your deck are you addicted to losing holy gently caress.