Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
What was the patch that just dropped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^ bugfixes, most notably the invisible islands in Ice Islands, and the bug that locks your ship in battle even when the battle's over.

Yeah, if you want to buy into the beta to have fun, don't do it at Tier VII where matchmaking and game balance start to skew. Tier V has a little bit of every class doing what they do best right now.

If you're wondering about things like the meta-game already, know that a) your potential is more dictated by your ship class and weapon size (rather than any particular ship your choose), and b) you can slaughter ships four tiers above you if you shoot guns or launch torpedoes correctly.

M.C. McMic posted:

edit: Also, I'm pissed I didn't hear about the 50% off sale a couple weeks back. I would have hopped on that.

50% off? I thought it was something like $5 off.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
According to the enemy team I just played against, it seems that the ocean map actually requires skills. In their little minds, going in a straight line while following your fleet without having to worry where you're going requires more skills than maps with islands, in which you actually have to pay attention to what is around you.

Its really loving sad. Unless I am actually missing something, how can someone actually think that? Please, someone reassure me and tell me the majority of players do not actually believe this poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

According to the enemy team I just played against, it seems that the ocean map actually requires skills. In their little minds, going in a straight line while following your fleet without having to worry where you're going requires more skills than maps with islands, in which you actually have to pay attention to what is around you.

Its really loving sad. Unless I am actually missing something, how can someone actually think that? Please, someone reassure me and tell me the majority of players do not actually believe this poo poo.

There's a good amount of highly technical stuff you can do on that map, the problem is most of it takes something like a minimum of five players to do it. It should be a fantastically interesting map for team battles, where things like destroyers as support ships that aren't expecting to do huge damage are viable and interesting rather than "gently caress, guess I don't get XP this match". But by the time you've laid a synchronized smoke screen to cover the fleet and prevented carrier spotting with a good cruiser position or carrier play, you're a full division with none of the prime damage dealers of the map, so you're leaning on your team (although they do have an advantage now).

The problem is that idiot pubbies conflate technical, highly coordinated play being superior for winning with it being a map that requires a high level of individual skill and rewarding said individual skill. For example on other maps it usually doesn't take two smoke screens to conceal a battle group and properly turn a battle. Instead a good DD can really make a difference on its own with smoke over the open area to hide its line and then covering the islands that would let another ship get an angle around the smoke rather than laying smoke and faffing about skirmishing.

There is a lot of personal skill in island maps in judging risk, picking angles to go into risky areas and so on that gets filed off in ocean in favor of a focus on team coordination that is luck and team dependent.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
Are battleships really good or just big targets?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Galdarion posted:

It really depends on the player. A fuso and/or nagato in the hands of a good player is devastating. In the hands of someone who can't aim worth poo poo.. :shrug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

50% off? I thought it was something like $5 off.

It was 15% off, not 50%.

Galdarion posted:

I enjoy playing battleships, but I only do well when I play wrong (according to the pubbies) and maintain distance from the enemy and lob long-distance salvo's onto the enemy team. Every time I get into brawling range I get murdered by everything. This nets me 2-5 kills, and the top XP position in many games, but I often get called out in chat for 'hiding in the back and being useless' but the other (now dead) battleship drivers who think they should be played like brawling DD's or something.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

The Locator posted:

It was 15% off, not 50%.

Ah, okay. I misheard the video I was watching. I don't feel as bad now.

Not sure it's worth spending $40 just to get access to closed beta.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

M.C. McMic posted:

Ah, okay. I misheard the video I was watching. I don't feel as bad now.

Not sure it's worth spending $40 just to get access to closed beta.

No. Its not.

Just wait for open beta. If you really like the game, then spend some money on it. But 40$ for a ship and access, not worth it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Locator posted:

It was 15% off, not 50%.

I enjoy playing battleships, but I only do well when I play wrong (according to the pubbies) and maintain distance from the enemy and lob long-distance salvo's onto the enemy team. Every time I get into brawling range I get murdered by everything. This nets me 2-5 kills, and the top XP position in many games, but I often get called out in chat for 'hiding in the back and being useless' but the other (now dead) battleship drivers who think they should be played like brawling DD's or something.

I wonder sometimes how in the gently caress clan wars fights is going to work, seeing as pubs cannot organize for poo poo. The first groups that figure out how to work in a coordinated fashion like a real BatRon or CVBG is going to loving clean up in clan wars versus almost anything they come up against.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

orange juche posted:

I wonder sometimes how in the gently caress clan wars fights is going to work, seeing as pubs cannot organize for poo poo. The first groups that figure out how to work in a coordinated fashion like a real BatRon or CVBG is going to loving clean up in clan wars versus almost anything they come up against.

I'm looking forward to it.

Probably just like tanks in how much a coordinated team can clean up if not more. Looking forward to being able to try aggressive shenanigans with the battle line with coordinated support.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
it was even cool with the 4 person platoon, you could pretty well wreck a team.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carriers are loving mystifying to me, how in the gently caress do I set up a good torp run? It's almost impossible to do with ALT because my bombers move so slow and they have to circle around twice to make sure that's indeed where they want to drop their torps etc. and doing an automatic run is retarded because they pick poo poo angles where you maybe get 1 or 2 torps to connect if your target is brain dead, if not, you're lucky to get any hits at all.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

orange juche posted:

Carriers are loving mystifying to me, how in the gently caress do I set up a good torp run? It's almost impossible to do with ALT because my bombers move so slow and they have to circle around twice to make sure that's indeed where they want to drop their torps etc. and doing an automatic run is retarded because they pick poo poo angles where you maybe get 1 or 2 torps to connect if your target is brain dead, if not, you're lucky to get any hits at all.

You have to make sure the planes are outside of the circle that shows up when you hit alt before you click. Otherwise your planes will act retarded and half of them will die flying in circles before launching torpedoes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

orange juche posted:

I have no idea how they do it, since I don't play carriers at all, but I've seen some amazing torp runs by carriers coordinating two groups of torpedo bombers from 45 degree angles off each side of the bow of a battleship. It's loving impossible to avoid, because if you turn into one, your broadside is to the other drop, and if you run straight, they both hit.

Also some guys are amazingly good at getting the drop at minimum range so even a DD has a hard time dodging all of them even when it was already turning in. I just got my already heavily damaged T5 DD wrecked by a T6 carrier who dropped a pair of torp groups on me from slightly different angles at minimum range this way. there wasn't enough room between the torpedoes to fit my DD.. only took 1, but that was all he needed.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Yeah, I ran into one of those guys while in my BB - I think I took at least 10 hits, but it was all on one side and all came in at pretty much the same time, so hitting repair and damage control almost immediately at the hit let me bring my Fuso out with about 5k health out of 57k. I'm still not sure how I survived, but the enemy Cleveland closing in on me took care of that real fast.

I've been considering trying the carrier, but I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

The Locator posted:

I have no idea how they do it, since I don't play carriers at all, but I've seen some amazing torp runs by carriers coordinating two groups of torpedo bombers from 45 degree angles off each side of the bow of a battleship. It's loving impossible to avoid, because if you turn into one, your broadside is to the other drop, and if you run straight, they both hit.

I haven't quite mastered this yet, but it does take a bit of planning before hand - you want to ideally set your bombers up in the path of the oncoming battleship on either side, just far enough out of the way that you're outside the circle, it's not hard in theory but getting the aim right can be... challenging. Ideally in a chokepoint or with land to one side to prevent turning in one direction. Do not try to launch at 90 degrees from each other, with one squadron dead ahead. Really easy to avoid those runs.

I've had a pair of torpedo bomber wings release all 12 torpedos point blank on me in a Kongo, only for no explosions to hit due to being within the arming range which was pretty entertaining.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Galdarion posted:

I find them fantastic. They're big and most of them are pretty slow, but you have the biggest (albeit, most inaccurate) guns in the game, a big HP pool that lets you take a lot of shells and even quite a few torpedoes, and really good armor that shrugs off destroyer rounds and most cruiser shells as well. You also have a fantastic nonsensical repair ability which is just a mystery as to how it works to me, but you can use it four times and if you time it right, you pretty much have a second health bar as a safety buffer to spare and play around with.

When I started playing the game, I thought IJN destroyers were the stuff. Then after tier 5 I transitioned to IJN cruisers and eventually I tried out the Kawachi. Battleships are my favorite class in the game now, they're just so forgiving, relaxing and easy to play.

Edit: Every battleship seems like it's got something going for it too: the Kawachi is this weird gunboat that has tons of guns, goes ok-ish fast but has poor range. The Myogi excels at kiting with its two tailguns and 30 knot top-speed. Kongou is kind of an exception in that it's good in every situation in its tier. The Fuso can really lay down the hurt from afar with its six turrets and twelve guns, though it's pretty slow. Nagato's a great brawler at close range with its crazy secondaries, good armor and rudder speed.

Then there's the Amagi, and the Yamato, and I have no idea what both are good for. The Yamato seems like it's supposed to serve in a sniper role with the range increase, but what does the Amagi excel at exactly?

OSad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 24, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Playing a Destroyer in Ocean can be hilariously fun if you memorize your concealment range and don't get spotted by planes.

And the most important skill in this game is not being noticed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've been platooning with a friend who bought in to the CBT, but is a little slow at picking up the game itself. When he unlocked a tier 2 ship, I started queueing my Umikaze with him since it wouldn't drag him up in the matchmaking, and we got a full match that was all Tier 1/2 cruisers on both sides... and me. :getin:

Being the only Destroyer in a match full of people in a slow, undergunned tubs is amazing. The Umikaze is always fun, regardless of circumstances, but when you're in that type of game? You're basically king rear end in a top hat. Nobody else has torps at all, their guns aren't going to one shot you, they're not going to easily dodge well aimed salvos, and you're just vomiting torpedoes everywhere while all they can do is panic and flail about mindlessly praying they aren't the cruiser you kill on this pass.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I've been platooning with a friend who bought in to the CBT, but is a little slow at picking up the game itself. When he unlocked a tier 2 ship, I started queueing my Umikaze with him since it wouldn't drag him up in the matchmaking, and we got a full match that was all Tier 1/2 cruisers on both sides... and me. :getin:

Being the only Destroyer in a match full of people in a slow, undergunned tubs is amazing. The Umikaze is always fun, regardless of circumstances, but when you're in that type of game? You're basically king rear end in a top hat. Nobody else has torps at all, their guns aren't going to one shot you, they're not going to easily dodge well aimed salvos, and you're just vomiting torpedoes everywhere while all they can do is panic and flail about mindlessly praying they aren't the cruiser you kill on this pass.

Pretty much gently caress yes, it's even better if you razz them in all chat while you're making a run.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hatsuharu Trip Report, Day 2:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Only bright spot was ending the day on a win and watching a dumb pubbie actually accuse a WG preview account of aimbotting.

Baudin posted:

I've had a pair of torpedo bomber wings release all 12 torpedos point blank on me in a Kongo, only for no explosions to hit due to being within the arming range which was pretty entertaining.

I troll TBs with the Kongo and Nagato by exploiting the arming distance. Drop to half ahead when the TBs come in and turn towards them but without fully using the rudder and the moment you see them commit to the drop, you go to full ahead and full rudder. More often than not you'll just smash right through the torp wave before they activate. Makes CV drivers so mad when that happens.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 24, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Magni posted:

I troll TBs with the Kongo and Nagato by exploiting the arming distance. Drop to half ahead when the TBs come in and turn towrds them but without fully using the rudder and the moment you see them commit to the drop, you go to full ahead and full rudder. More oftne than not you'll just smash right through the torp wave before they activate. Makes CV drivers so mad when that happens.

That's brilliant, I'll have to give that a shot.

If you're doing torpedo runs make sure to go after battleships that are engaged with other ships - often the guys who are too focused on what their guns are doing will miss your bombing run entirely, especially if they've got more important things to do.

I'm still a huge fan of destroyers for torpedo work - you can do so much damage in a good round, and they're generally a lot less forgiving than battleships but a lot more action.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Magni posted:

Hatsuharu Trip Report, Day 2:
:gonk: That's a big cost of not-fun just to learn a new playstyle. I really started to adjust to my Fletcher and start winning after 15 games (e: I was 2 wins in 14 matches beforehand), and even then most of my matches involved sneaking within <7km with no guns to blow up a couple of pubs with torpedoes.

I think having my good guns to serve for personal defense and destroyer chasing helps with contributing to a match but I want to say I feel your pain with the torpedo boat thing :shrug:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

:gonk: That's a big cost of not-fun just to learn a new playstyle. I really started to adjust to my Fletcher and start winning after 15 games (e: I was 2 wins in 14 matches beforehand), and even then most of my matches involved sneaking within <7km with no guns to blow up a couple of pubs with torpedoes.

I think having my good guns to serve for personal defense and destroyer chasing helps with contributing to a match but I want to say I feel your pain with the torpedo boat thing :shrug:

To be fair, she's not a good ship, but better than that winrate indicates. I'm actually starting to get to grips with the 10km range torps and when to do long-range shots - while still getting the odd :ninja: moment of blindsiding and point-blank torping suckers around corners.

It's just that my particular Hatsuharu seems to be cursed because I keep getting teams full of people that make me wonder how they managed to install the game without bricking their computer. And setting the room on fire.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 24, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I just found out that if you hit the torpedo key while torpedoes are already selected then you can change the dispersion from wide to narrow back to wide. I kept wondering what the gently caress was up with my torpedo dispersion selection.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
People should hop on TS and get some goonfleets going

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...So, it's apparently started. People gaming MM to give whatever team they're on a huge advantage.

Div2 on their team completely screwed up matchmaker, giving their team the advantage both in quality and numbers. So congrats on your win, fuckers.

edit: The Kitakami was a moron too, so that certainly didn't help, but in the grand scheme of things it would not have mattered.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

...So, it's apparently started. People gaming MM to give whatever team they're on a huge advantage.

Div2 on their team completely screwed up matchmaker, giving their team the advantage both in quality and numbers. So congrats on your win, fuckers.

edit: The Kitakami was a moron too, so that certainly didn't help, but in the grand scheme of things it would not have mattered.

I don't think it was just the platoon. The matchmaker goes absolutely bonkers if it can't find another carrier for the opposing team. Especially higher tiered ones like your lexington.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Why did you blank out your name

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I don't think it was just the platoon. The matchmaker goes absolutely bonkers if it can't find another carrier for the opposing team. Especially higher tiered ones like your lexington.

No, I'm aware of that, and I definitely agree that didn't help. But that platoon basically has no reason for existing outside of screwing up MM. Tier VIIs and Tier IIIs should never be in the same game, especially as MM will try to compensate. Badly.

Insert name here posted:

Why did you blank out your name

Habit.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

JuffoWup posted:

The saddest part of the CBT right now is that out of 4,000 users, only one high-tier CV player is usually available to be matched. In off-peak hours, sometimes the same is even true for destroyers with the exception of Sims who are usually braindead pubs who only have low-tiers ships otherwise.

REMOVE CRUISERS FROM THE GAME

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

REMOVE CRUISERS FROM THE GAME

Learn to adapt to the game or :frogout:

People with their stupid idea that would absolutely not fix the problems they are bitching about. :ughh:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know what was more amazing. A game with xpedience on the enemy team. My team winning anyway. Or the fact the gearing's guns never stop firing. Dat RoF.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

xpedience wasn't even that good at tanks.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Where do I put that always-alt mod posted earlier? It wants to overwrite another "paths" file if I drop it right into the main directory?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Yes, you have to overwrite paths.xml. Why ? Because WG:

Stock paths.xml
code:
<root>
    <Paths>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>
altered paths.xml
code:
<root>
    <Paths>
	<Path>res_mods/0.3.0</Path>
        <Path>res</Path>
    </Paths>
</root>
if the line "<path>res_mods/0.3.0</path>" is not present in paths.xml, the game will NOT load anything from res_mods :v: It's literally a 5 line text file that acts as an on/off switch for loading stuff from /res_mods.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm still enjoying the heck out of my yubari. I think it is the very fast rudder shift time I'm enjoying, but the drat thing is nimble. I got a kawachi to chase me into the maw of the rest of my team (he was the last guy left anyway) all the while dodging left and right with a couple hp left the entire time. And I was still smacking him for ~500 a volley back the entire time.

I still need to master destroyer driving though. Everyone enjoys it here, but I absolutely suck rear end in the drat things.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Word to the wise, propulsion makes a big difference in how maneuverable your destroyer is. You lose less speed in turns, and your turn radius is mainly determined by your current speed.

Also, concealment on the Kagero is nuts. It gets an upgrade that reduces its detectability in smoke to like 2km. The camo skill probably makes it even more nutso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Dalael posted:

Learn to adapt to the game or :frogout:

People with their stupid idea that would absolutely not fix the problems they are bitching about. :ughh:
I like it! Seeing people solo queue and complain in allchat about singluar things they blame their terrible boatlife on never stops being amusing.

I blame poi.

JuffoWup posted:

I'm still enjoying the heck out of my yubari. I think it is the very fast rudder shift time I'm enjoying, but the drat thing is nimble. I got a kawachi to chase me into the maw of the rest of my team (he was the last guy left anyway) all the while dodging left and right with a couple hp left the entire time. And I was still smacking him for ~500 a volley back the entire time.
Yubaris are still hard to do things and survive in, but the one replay I have saved of myself in one has me in endgame New Dawn, citadeling boats coming at me from three different sides with torpedoes and those guns that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, and dodging several salvoes of incoming torps while repeatedly grounding myself. :supaburn:

3 kills, I still died, and my team still lost IIRC.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, concealment on the Kagero is nuts. It gets an upgrade that reduces its detectability in smoke to like 2km. The camo skill probably makes it even more nutso.
I learned this the hard way a couple of times, but I still dive into enemy smoke a lot anyways when I'm not on playing Ocean, because what Kageros can use against me, I can use against the rest of their teams :black101:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2015