Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Trastion posted:

Tell them that you would be happy to accept the position and its responsibilities but not unless it comes with appropriate pay for that position.

This is the correct reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Demonachizer posted:

remote desktop into your office machine?

I had to find the MSI for firefox to push it out via PDQDeploy. He needed to work so I couldn't sit there for 10 minutes getting it to work.

I got it installed now but it was just frustrating.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

nitrogen posted:

I asked in IRC if Robert Half was still awful.

I want to tell y'all now that they still are. I had a recruiter schedule a phone interview for me earlier this week at 4pm. Never called.

Rescheduled today at 2pm. Never called.

So yes, they are still awful.

Our pay scales are being reevaluated by the acting director of HR and when I saw the Robert Half guide to IT salaries in her office my outlook darkened considerably. It chafes a little to be making the same amount as our newest desktop tech, a guy who got fired from his last job and lied on his resume and actively bucks procedure because he doesn't understand it but I guess it's okay because he's got 10 more years in IT than me?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hihifellow posted:

Our pay scales are being reevaluated by the acting director of HR and when I saw the Robert Half guide to IT salaries in her office my outlook darkened considerably.

If we went by their numbers I would actually be getting a pretty sizable raise (well I guess it depends on what role they want to actually classify me as, but even then it would at the least be illuminating.)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

m.hache posted:

Christ, indeed.ca is littered with their agency placement jobs.

I just wish it would tell me the actual company the position was for so I could apply direct.

Here's a hint for you. There are no jobs. They are just fishing for info from people who try to apply to them.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Inspector_666 posted:

If we went by their numbers I would actually be getting a pretty sizable raise (well I guess it depends on what role they want to actually classify me as, but even then it would at the least be illuminating.)

Maybe my pessimism is misplaced, taking a look at their guide I'm underpaid by about 20k

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hihifellow posted:

Maybe my pessimism is misplaced, taking a look at their guide I'm underpaid by about 20k

Some of their numbers look pretty good tbh. Baseline 70k for network admin + 9% for CCNP + 7% for Unix skills (+5% possibly for MSCA Client)? Either that's a real good chunk of money or I'm underestimating the value of IT careers, certifications, and diplomas.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'm spoiled by DoD contracting numbers.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

m.hache posted:

I had to find the MSI for firefox to push it out via PDQDeploy. He needed to work so I couldn't sit there for 10 minutes getting it to work.

I got it installed now but it was just frustrating.

I mentioned this in the Ticket thread, Firefox defaults to using Yahoo as its search engine. In case someone wonders why all their searches look different suddenly.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Koskun posted:

I mentioned this in the Ticket thread, Firefox defaults to using Yahoo as its search engine. In case someone wonders why all their searches look different suddenly.
Not just that, it forcibly switched to Yahoo after an update.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Pissing me off. Fujistu servers.

1. Why does Fujistu even make servers.

2. Why does their proprietary management software require ONLY java 7 on ie?

3. Why does their software need an SQL server with OS admin creds?

4. Where is it storing these admin creds?

5. Why, when we tell them we are using 2012 R2, do they send us all of the aforementioned software for 2008 R2?

6. Why, when the server starts randomly powering off, do they tell us the firmware is out of date and that can cause the server to shutdown for funsies?

Never again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Koskun posted:

PDQ Deploy has a deployment to change it back to Google, which is pretty funny (and useful) to me. It's one of their free ones too.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Whenever I receive a LinkedIn request to connect from some random recruiter, I wish that instead of just "Accept" and "Ignore", LinkedIn had an option for "Do I loving know you?" I might just sign up for Premium if they offered that.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

6. Why, when the server starts randomly powering off, do they tell us the firmware is out of date and that can cause the server to shutdown for funsies?

Dell does this too, ever have any problem at all and they tell you to update every piece of firmware/drivers possible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Koskun posted:

The Firefox installed is really odd. Its an exe that uses 7zip to unpackage another exe which runs 7zip again. I found out because I extracted the first one to get the exe out of it only to get the same GPO restriction to block it. I had to Google for the MSI binaries to push it out via PDQ deploy before I could get it on there.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

theperminator posted:

Dell does this too, ever have any problem at all and they tell you to update every piece of firmware/drivers possible.

I still have some coprocessor device that isnt installed and is showing up in "Other devices"

Fujitsu haven't been able to tell me what this is.

Youd think that maybe if a particular firmware can cause shutdowns.... dont ship it with the system? Cockfaces. All of them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After toning out the entire goddamn office it turns out that only about seven drops were labeled correctly.

Now I can move on to the next step of removing the big knots of lovely old patch cabling and replacing it with tidy new color-coded stuff.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Baxta posted:

I still have some coprocessor device that isnt installed and is showing up in "Other devices"

The hardware ID is usually a good way to track down random things like that.

On Windows it's under Device Manager > Properties > Details > Hardware Ids

On Linux you can find most things that'll be on the PCI bus with 'lspci', other buses may vary. No idea about Solaris which it seems those also support.

50/50 it's an Intel management thing, I've had a few of those that drop random "other devices" on me until the appropriate driver is installed, vPro and such IIRC.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

After toning out the entire goddamn office it turns out that only about seven drops were labeled correctly.

:bravo:

Seven?? God drat

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

Youd think that maybe if a particular firmware can cause shutdowns.... dont ship it with the system? Cockfaces. All of them.

Maybe an IPMI/BMC controller?

poo poo that pisses me off is always Dell.

Had a blade just turn itself off the other day, the only info it gives is "Power Management Firmware unresponsive"
The blade is out of warranty though and the boss is a tightarse.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I was visiting our company's other IT office the last 2 days, and all I heard was "Why are you still using that old HP laptop, those were supposed to be replaced at least 2 years ago."

No poo poo, I'd love to get rid of it, but its not my decision, please stop rubbing it in. I am able to get a T450s for around 1600 now with all the bells and whistles, maybe that is finally low enough.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

wolrah posted:

The hardware ID is usually a good way to track down random things like that.

On Windows it's under Device Manager > Properties > Details > Hardware Ids

On Linux you can find most things that'll be on the PCI bus with 'lspci', other buses may vary. No idea about Solaris which it seems those also support.

50/50 it's an Intel management thing, I've had a few of those that drop random "other devices" on me until the appropriate driver is installed, vPro and such IIRC.

Legend. This was it iRMC S4 High-speed Transfer Interface (Onboard on D3099-B1x)

This is my first time setting up a server from scratch (admined a few) so this thread has been invaluable.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ohhh dear, so we have this little problem on one of our two Netapp data stores that a couple of VMs (one hosting accounting and ERP, so probably the most business critical thing we have) are running from... alarm bells started to ring in the mind when one of them had to be rebooted and went through some serious chkdsk drama before coming back up. Features cannot be added to the Windows installation any more as it says the source is corrupted. A Linux server had some serious fsck drama before coming back up and won't update as it says the RPMs are corrupted. If you download and verify the RPMs on a local box they are fine. Copy them to the vm and verify? Corrupted. Something seriously wrong going on here with either the data store or the network.

IT manager (boss) just basically snaps at me when I try to raise concerns. "if there was a problem then a light would be flashing on the SAN" and "it's corrupting because it's being USED!! Of course it's saying its corrupt, you have to not be using it!"

I don't even... whatever, Mr Information Minister. I'm off to do something else, gently caress it.

I think on the latter he's parroting something he heard about doing fsck on a live filesystem... I'm actually just verifying RPM signatures, but anything technical like that is blinding him with science. He's basically clueless and yet HAS to be right/superior at all times so is completely contrarian. You could say bananas are yellow and he'd yell at you and say they're blue. What I maybe should've done is used the reverse psychology trick ("I don't think there's anything wrong with this datastore or the connection to it, what do you think?"), I've used that method before with a fair bit of success.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GargleBlaster posted:

Oh god almighty

Send him an email outlining your concerns, attach a read receipt, verify he's read it. Then don't loving touch it ever again. make him command you in writing to touch it. For the love of all that is loving holy, AVOID AVOID AVOID. He's literally playing russian roulette with the companies (presumably) only copy of that data (because backups are hard, and in the CLOUD~), and he refuses to fix it or even entertain the notion that there may be a problem.

It will fail, he will throw you so far under the bus that you can tell what size aggregate they used during road construction, and the only thing keeping him from convincing the company to go after you in court will be that CYA email. It won't save your job, but it could save you court costs trying to defend yourself.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Fortunately he's seen a bunch of iSCSI errors for himself and finally acknowledged that something is a bit amiss and asked for some outside support. It just takes a few hours of banging your head against a brick wall to get the message across sometimes...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ynglaur posted:

Whenever I receive a LinkedIn request to connect from some random recruiter, I wish that instead of just "Accept" and "Ignore", LinkedIn had an option for "Do I loving know you?" I might just sign up for Premium if they offered that.

I've found it useful to include, as the first line of my LinkedIn profile, a code word which I ask recruiters to use if they feel that they must contact me.

It actually works pretty well, only about 10% of them do it but those who do are at least pitching jobs relevant to my skill set, so they get a polite thank you and decline.

The ones that don't get reported as spam.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GargleBlaster posted:

Ohhh dear, so we have this little problem on one of our two Netapp data stores that a couple of VMs (one hosting accounting and ERP, so probably the most business critical thing we have) are running from... alarm bells started to ring in the mind when one of them had to be rebooted and went through some serious chkdsk drama before coming back up. Features cannot be added to the Windows installation any more as it says the source is corrupted. A Linux server had some serious fsck drama before coming back up and won't update as it says the RPMs are corrupted. If you download and verify the RPMs on a local box they are fine. Copy them to the vm and verify? Corrupted. Something seriously wrong going on here with either the data store or the network.
Could be memory. But as strange as it sounds, try disabling checksumming on the NIC (ethtool -A eth0 rx off && ethtool -A eth0 tx off), which often resolves this, or at least lets you pin the problem down to a bad NIC

Also clear all the yum caches.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Two things pissing me off already this morning:

1) Remote site manager calls and tells me that her employee that started a week ago needs a new fob because her dog ate it. ... :what: We don't charge people for lost or missing fobs but I sure wish we did.

2) I got a bill in the mail, from my health insurance company (which I receive through my employer, a health care provider). They are trying to bill me $90 for a new office visit for a flu shot I got back in October. A flu shot that I got 20ft from MY OWN OFFICE, in the cafeteria. The best (?) part is they listed my own company as being "out of network" for me. What the gently caress, Blue Care Network?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: SharePoints' 255 character limit for URLs, and Japanese characters. :argh:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sirotan posted:

needs a new fob because her dog ate it. ...

Won't she get it back in a day or so anyways?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The McAfee mxlogic spam filter service has been great for a long time for our company. However something has changed over the past two days and now its being super loving aggressive and marking almost everything loving spam. I can't seem to whitelist poo poo fast enough. loving Mcafee!!!!! :argh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wolrah posted:

Won't she get it back in a day or so anyways?

Hold the dog up to the reader until then.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Volmarias posted:

I've found it useful to include, as the first line of my LinkedIn profile, a code word which I ask recruiters to use if they feel that they must contact me.

It actually works pretty well, only about 10% of them do it but those who do are at least pitching jobs relevant to my skill set, so they get a polite thank you and decline.

The ones that don't get reported as spam.

This is a good idea, though it would have to be a heck of an offer for me to consider leaving my current employer. I didn't realize you could report such things as spam: how do you do that?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sickening posted:

The McAfee mxlogic spam filter service has been great for a long time for our company. However something has changed over the past two days and now its being super loving aggressive and marking almost everything loving spam. I can't seem to whitelist poo poo fast enough. loving Mcafee!!!!! :argh:

One of our clients was raging about how they're not getting emails from some of our PMs but are getting them from others, then spent like five hours going back and forth with me about "we don't do spam filtering!" when all their poo poo has mxlogic addresses in the headers.

Dudes finally get off their asses and whitelist our domain after I link them to the relevant mxlogic kb article and woah it's like magic all of our emails go through.

Edit: forgot these are the same dudes that wrote a long reply about how we shouldn't use Gmail for Work to send email and should run Exchange in-house instead because using Google for mail is bad practice (what).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2015

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

Back when we were trying to find a replacement for Postini, I was heavily looking into MX Logic because all the reviews said it was the best service out there.

Then I found out MX Logic had just been purchased by McAfee, and decided that as good as it might be, it was inevitably going to turn to warm runny poo poo because McAfee.

Thanks for the anecdata I feel better now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ynglaur posted:

This is a good idea, though it would have to be a heck of an offer for me to consider leaving my current employer. I didn't realize you could report such things as spam: how do you do that?

I'm not sure if you can anymore, but it used to be possible at least.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A consultant who gets paid a considerable amount more than me has told us when we create our 2 way trust between domains we are not allowed to use conditional forwarders for DNS and suggested using the hosts file instead

I have made it abundantly clear if he makes this suggestion whilst in the same room as me I will physically throw him out the nearest window

Apparently this is for security reasons (admittedly I'm hearing this story 2nd hand) but he has history and I'd prefer to beg forgiveness than seek permission if this story is true

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
What's the POINT of having a "promised to customer date" if it's three months BEHIND the promised date by the time it gets to my desk?

And that's if it's filled in AT ALL.

If we're going to "work on" the culture of firefighting and allow people to manage their priorities like adults, then mayyyybe you could give the developers information regarding when their work should actually be completed by? :argh:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

angry armadillo posted:

A consultant who gets paid a considerable amount more than me has told us when we create our 2 way trust between domains we are not allowed to use conditional forwarders for DNS and suggested using the hosts file instead

I have made it abundantly clear if he makes this suggestion whilst in the same room as me I will physically throw him out the nearest window

Apparently this is for security reasons (admittedly I'm hearing this story 2nd hand) but he has history and I'd prefer to beg forgiveness than seek permission if this story is true

I am new to all this stuff, but I just finished the chapter on DNS for my active directory class and there was totally a procedure for doing just that. So what I am saying is hire me and give me lots of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Dear Java rollout team, stop loving send me feedback quiz emails. You're as bad as Oracle.