Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So the Watch seems super complicated to use.

http://help.apple.com/watch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

gret posted:

So the Watch seems super complicated to use.

http://help.apple.com/watch/

Wasn't too bad from playing with it at the Apple Store. Just had to get used to which button takes you to your favorite contacts.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I got mine! It's really cool, very easy to set up, lots of ways to set up a few faces. A few 1.0 issues: the weather stopped working and I can't seem to get it to start again, and even though I pressed the 'gently caress it add all my apps' button it didn't add any and I had to switch each of the ones I wanted on manually. Otherwise, its been extremely straightforward, the user interface is fantastically smooth and the screen looks impossibly nice, the analogue watch faces look incredible on it. San Francisco, the font, looks especially amazing when its tiny. The third-party game Rules! which they gave away on the Store App a while back is a pretty fun little diversion that dresses itself up to look kind of like the activities app in a way that is kind of endearing, and even includes a totally useless glance you can use if you want your score and goal on there. The space grey aluminium feels expensive and smooth and still quite cool on my skin after wearing it for about two hours.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

chaosbreather posted:

I got mine! It's really cool, very easy to set up, lots of ways to set up a few faces. A few 1.0 issues: the weather stopped working and I can't seem to get it to start again, and even though I pressed the 'gently caress it add all my apps' button it didn't add any and I had to switch each of the ones I wanted on manually. Otherwise, its been extremely straightforward, the user interface is fantastically smooth and the screen looks impossibly nice, the analogue watch faces look incredible on it. San Francisco, the font, looks especially amazing when its tiny. The third-party game Rules! which they gave away on the Store App a while back is a pretty fun little diversion that dresses itself up to look kind of like the activities app in a way that is kind of endearing, and even includes a totally useless glance you can use if you want your score and goal on there. The space grey aluminium feels expensive and smooth and still quite cool on my skin after wearing it for about two hours.

Check out our game Letterpad too! Can't wait to finally put it through its paces when my watch comes.

Letterpad - Free Word Puzzles by NimbleBit LLC
https://appsto.re/us/elko4.i

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
No thanks.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

eeenmachine posted:

Check out our game Letterpad too! Can't wait to finally put it through its paces when my watch comes.

Yeah, I know it. i've been playing it on my iPad, and I like it a lot. Very pleased NimbleBit is making video games again.

UPDATE: I got on the chat with support and while I was waiting for him to answer I noticed my calendars were also not updating on my watch. this lead me to check my iPhone which also wasn't updating calendars. So I toggled 'Calendars' in the iCloud sync menu on the iPhone, noticed turning it on didn't take the first time, switched it on again and suddenly my watch lit up with the weather app and everything is peachy.

SO IMPORTANT TROUBLESHOOTING ADVICE: If one of your apps don't work, it might be something weird with iCloud so toggle that poo poo!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
A warning: nothing makes you want one of these stupid things more than going to an Apple Store and playing around with one. I went from thinking it was a poor substitute for Apple Glasses (still kind of think this really) to trying to justify buying one based on a few very specific scenarios I know will come up infrequently.

I know I should just hold out for next year's model with a robust App Store and the kinks worked out, but drat if i don't want the dumb trinket now. If I DO manage to wait, I'll probably go for the stainless steel/sport band and buy the inevitable 3rd party bands if I want to class it up.

(PS: they had edition watches under glass and holy poo poo are they nowhere near worth what they want for them.)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The vibration on this thing feels like a baby farting.

Other than that, it's awesome, responsive & cool.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

MacRumors Forums posted:

Hey guys. Try to do or buy something to get your mind off the Apple Watch. Me and my wife got two Guinea Pigs and I'm already obsessing over them. Going to return the cage from petsmart (was the largest cage they had but still overpriced at $80) for an 8sq ft cage. Totally off topic but at the same time it's me giving advice. Just get the watch off your mind and you'll be able to be patient until whenever we receive it.

Hey guys let's buy guinea pigs while waiting for our watches to be delivered! (After the watches are delivered they'll all be left to die because it's so awesome)

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

lionlegs posted:

Hey guys let's buy guinea pigs while waiting for our watches to be delivered! (After the watches are delivered they'll all be left to die because it's so awesome)

No. The watch will remind You to Feed the guinea pigs

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

just_a_guy posted:

No. The watch will remind You to Feed the guinea pigs

Nah, it will remind you to feed your Tamagochi, leaving your actual guinea pigs to die a slow, painful death.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guinea pigs are good eats, so you got that to look forward to.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I too got an email a few days ago saying I could have a watch expedited to me. They really want developers to get started with these things. I feel like they must be concerned that there aren't any really uniquely Watch inspired apps, so they're scrambling and hoping someone will step up and create a new app that legitimizes it.

As a company we're not investing resources into developing watch adaptations unless our clients ask for them specifically because we just don't see any uses for it. Also because the specifications for a watch app are bound to change like crazy over the next few months.

THE BIG DOG DADDY fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 24, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it was more that they were concerned that a lot of developers with watch apps wouldn't get their watches until 6 weeks after launch, despite ordering immediately after it went on sale. So people would be reporting bugs on the hardware that the devs could only blindly fix.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

eeenmachine posted:

No thanks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

So what happened to make the Nimblebit folks unliked around here?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Crab theory! (Just a wild guess)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think its because (and I can't speak for that letter game) their "games" aren't really games, just timers with pay-for-fun-money attached.

The only one I've tried is Tinyplanes, and it was cute enough but not my thing. :shobon:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Someone mentioned being interested in battery capacity before, iFixit tore down the 38mm and found a 205mah battery:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Teardown/40655

And here's some guys doing a few water tests:
http://youtu.be/zW5CxZioIkk

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Zwille posted:

Clearly you've never felt the thunderous farts of a baby.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Clearly you've never felt the thunderous farts of a baby.

Yeah it's pretty wide range. From "that was cute" to "oh god I think we have a containment breach."

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's not just here, it's everywhere around the internet with a shocking majority of game developers. When the App Store launched, people could get away with charging $10 for a game, and everyone was happy. As more developers hopped on the App Store bandwagon, people needed a way to continue driving sales once being literally the only solitaire game (for instance) stopped being a main selling point. So, sales started happening, as that makes sense as a way to reinvigorate interest in your software. Sales eventually lead to prices at launch falling across the board, until everything just hit 99¢ by default. Once everything was 99¢, the only promotional vehicle developers had left was to make things free in hope that the surge of interest would result in more sales after the promotion was over. The reaction this caused was people who would be interested in buying software were effectively trained to just wait until something was free in a few weeks/months after it launched.

With consumers trained that everything will eventually be free, and developers happy to placate that, it lead to the inevitability of free to play coming about. Now games and apps are given away for free, and monetized via microtransactions. The consumer reaction to this is:

Snuffman posted:

I think its because (and I can't speak for that letter game) their "games" aren't really games, just timers with pay-for-fun-money attached.

The cool part is, from a business perspective it doesn't really matter anymore. 64% of revenue comes from 0.2% of players, so people being cranky on reddit/forums/twitter/etc about developers having the gall to have something you can buy are barely vaguely relevant in a business sense. Players can be as grumpy as they want to be about developers switching over to IAP models, because the fraction of people that don't give a poo poo actually don't give a poo poo to an extent that they're cumulatively paying more money than people ever paying "full price" did.

:science:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

io_burn posted:

It's not just here, it's everywhere around the internet with a shocking majority of game developers. When the App Store launched, people could get away with charging $10 for a game, and everyone was happy. As more developers hopped on the App Store bandwagon, people needed a way to continue driving sales once being literally the only solitaire game (for instance) stopped being a main selling point. So, sales started happening, as that makes sense as a way to reinvigorate interest in your software. Sales eventually lead to prices at launch falling across the board, until everything just hit 99¢ by default. Once everything was 99¢, the only promotional vehicle developers had left was to make things free in hope that the surge of interest would result in more sales after the promotion was over. The reaction this caused was people who would be interested in buying software were effectively trained to just wait until something was free in a few weeks/months after it launched.

With consumers trained that everything will eventually be free, and developers happy to placate that, it lead to the inevitability of free to play coming about. Now games and apps are given away for free, and monetized via microtransactions. The consumer reaction to this is:

The cool part is, from a business perspective it doesn't really matter anymore. 64% of revenue comes from 0.2% of players, so people being cranky on reddit/forums/twitter/etc about developers having the gall to have something you can buy are barely vaguely relevant in a business sense. Players can be as grumpy as they want to be about developers switching over to IAP models, because the fraction of people that don't give a poo poo actually don't give a poo poo to an extent that they're cumulatively paying more money than people ever paying "full price" did.

:science:

Gotcha. I knew all that but I was wondering why they reacted they way they did. I remember when goons were falling over themselves saying how awesome Tiny X is and now it's the opposite. I thought I missed some drama.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Jose Oquendo posted:

Gotcha. I knew all that but I was wondering why they reacted they way they did. I remember when goons were falling over themselves saying how awesome Tiny X is and now it's the opposite. I thought I missed some drama.

Well Letterpad is a word puzzle game far removed from our Tiny XXX freemium timer games. Looks like it will make far less than those but it was refreshing to make. I'm pretty burned out on making mobile games in general now though. People are having trouble turning a profit even with f2p since the mega studios are sucking up all the players and chart positions now. M

The reason some debs are excited about the watch is that it is a new unknown platform that maybe the little guys can outcompete the big boys at least for a little while but it looks like those days are over.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

They named it "Fishtropolis" which literally makes no sense at all.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Some developers apparently don't know how to best use their app on the Watch but want it on their anyway. For example, it appears that the Fandango app, instead of giving movie times, locations, etc, gives you movie quotes. That's it...movie quotes.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Loving the watch so far, but HATE that the little metal nib on the sports band is right at the bottom of my wrist, so that when I'm typing on my laptop, its metal-on-metal scraping on the wrist-rest part of the laptop.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Got mine this morning, being able to check things off my Wunderlist grocery list from my watch while shopping is enough to justify the purchase for me, everything else is a bonus.

Sport band feels good / fits good, doesn't slide around on my wrist like my previous NATO-strapped watch did.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 24, 2015

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

suddenlyissoon posted:

Some developers apparently don't know how to best use their app on the Watch but want it on their anyway. For example, it appears that the Fandango app, instead of giving movie times, locations, etc, gives you movie quotes. That's it...movie quotes.

That's a pretty egregious example, but we're still in the early days of watch apps - I suspect they're just trying to get on the hype train while it's hot even though they still don't have a compelling use yet.

Personally I'm more concerned about crappy performance of third party apps than usefulness.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The problem is this is what the developer hype train looks like right now-

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I have no one to send my heartbeat to :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh: http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-watch-sport-includes-a-plastic-magnetic-charger-not-metal-like-the-more-expensive-models/

quote:

As users unbox their new Apple Watch units today, customers who bought the Sport version are receiving a bit of a surprise. The inductive charging cable bundled with Apple Watch Sport is actually made of plastic rather than the nice metal finishes of the more expensive stainless steel and gold watches.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

io_burn posted:

It's not just here, it's everywhere around the internet with a shocking majority of game developers.

I thought it was that the NimbleBit people were lovely posters incessantly pimping lovely game-like cash grabs and beta codes? Who knew it was a much more complicated internet-wide backlash at developers over pricing models. :iiam:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

And this is a 400 dollar watch!! No thank you. This seals the deal that I will be purchasing a Moto 360 and waiting for Google to make it compatible with iOS. Apple Watch is bulky, square, ugly, overpriced, and has no killer feature that makes it any better than the nicer Android Wear devices.

~ a 9to5mac.com reader

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zwille posted:

Other than that, it's awesome, responsive & cool.

My 8 month old daughter farts like a grown man... soooo....

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I wonder if this is how they managed to shorten the shipping times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mrs. Oquendo's Milanese Watch just arrived. Looks nice. Anyone want pictures?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

Mrs. Oquendo's Milanese Watch just arrived. Looks nice. Anyone want pictures?
No thanks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Of course we want pictures. Sure beats just having people post shipping dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

BGrifter posted:

I thought it was that the NimbleBit people were lovely posters incessantly pimping lovely game-like cash grabs and beta codes? Who knew it was a much more complicated internet-wide backlash at developers over pricing models. :iiam:

Hmm, that does sound familiar now that you mention it.

• Locked thread