Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

House Louse posted:

Not in America :agesilaus:

Was going to call you out on not counting Native history but...

...beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
For actual creepy Disney parks, nothing beats River County!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_River_Country

Wikipedia posted:

Disney's River Country was the first water park at Walt Disney World.[1] It opened on June 20, 1976 and ceased operations on November 2, 2001.[2] On January 20, 2005, The Walt Disney Company announced that River Country would remain closed permanently.[1] Along with Discovery Island, it is one of only two Disney parks in history to close permanently. Both parks were abandoned rather than demolished.

http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry.html

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/25/check-out-the-eerie-abandoned-disney-park-that-time-forgot-2298198?lt_source=external,manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UO5guVY-9c

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kill Dozed posted:

If that makes you angry, just wait till I tell you about that mosque near Ground Zero....

the hell's ground zero?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ernie Muppari posted:

the hell's ground zero?

It's what Americans call the place where the WTC towers used to be.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

It's what Americans call the place where the WTC towers used to be.

im an american and i have no idea what that means

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ernie Muppari posted:

Are you a tween or just not paying attention?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ernie Muppari posted:

Back in the 2000's Saddam (from Iraq) flew planes into two buildings in NY because he hated our freedoms.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

Back in the 2000's Saddam (from Iraq) flew planes into two buildings in NY because he hated our freedoms.

It's how he died.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

oh yeah

i forgot about that

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh yeah

i forgot about that

:911:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Ernie Muppari posted:

It's not like a national secret or something. Sorry you're oblivious.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
ur going to jail for not remembering to never forget

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

It refers to the current height of the North and South Towers.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

this is that december 11th thing right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
November dude. It's what veterans day is for :rolleyes:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, wasn't it a missile that hit the towers?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

EZipperelli posted:

Wait, wasn't it a missile that hit the towers?

no youre thinking of the kentucky state dmv back in 1993

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Spoeank posted:

November dude. It's what veterans day is for :rolleyes:

It's remembrance day you yank :canada:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Imperialist Dog posted:

It's remembrance day you yank :canada:

It's Armistice day you canuck :france:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kurtofan posted:

It's Armistice day you canuck :france:

Who you calling canuck you yanks don't respect ARE BOYS

Content! How do we solve the sticky situation of assisted suicide. Trips to switzerland? Massive doses of barbiturates? Nah, let's build a roller coaster half a kilometer tall and push old people down it :black101:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Content! How do we solve the sticky situation of assisted suicide. Trips to switzerland? Massive doses of barbiturates? Nah, let's build a roller coaster half a kilometer tall and push old people down it :black101:

The death roller coaster would be my suicide of choice, but only if they put it in like Great America or something. I love roller coasters so spending a day riding them, drinking, and eating funnel cakes followed by a final ride would be a pretty great day.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?

showbiz_liz posted:

Speaking of theme parks, I'm sure this has been posted before but it's always good for a mindboggle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

And guess what? It's back!

My fiancee (NJ native) says someone died after touching a live wire in the boats as well, but I don't know if it's a rumor.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

MikeCrotch posted:

quote:

As it would kill its passengers, it was criticised by the anti-euthanasia association Care Not Killing.[5]

Well, duh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ernie Muppari posted:

this is that december 11th thing right?

Be honest, did you even know what the term "ground zero" meant in a general sense?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

...beaten.

Fair enough, good catch.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Nightmare Zone posted:

My fiancee (NJ native) says someone died after touching a live wire in the boats as well, but I don't know if it's a rumor.
It's not a rumour. Considering how dangerous the place was, I'm surprised only 6 people died.

Action Park posted:

On July 8, 1980, a 19-year-old park employee was riding the Alpine Slide when his car jumped the track and his head struck a rock, killing him.[41]

On July 24, 1982, a 15-year-old boy drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[41][42]

A week later, on August 1, a 27-year-old man from Long Island got out of his tipped kayak on the Kayak Experience to right it. While doing so, he stepped on a grate that was either in contact with, or came too close to, a section of live wiring for the underwater fans that somehow became exposed and he suffered a severe electric shock, which sent him into cardiac arrest. Several other members of his family nearby were also injured. He was taken to a hospital in nearby Warwick, New York where he died later of the shock-induced cardiac arrest.[3][41] The park at first disputed that the electric current caused his death, saying there were no burns on his body, but the coroner responded that burns generally do not occur in a water-based electrocution.[3] The ride was drained and closed for the investigation. Accounts differed as to the extent of the exposed wiring: the park said it was "just a nick", while others argued it was closer to 8 inches (20 cm). The state's Labor Department found that the fan was properly maintained and installed and cleared the park of wrongdoing; however, it also said that the current had the possibility to cause bodily harm under certain circumstances.[41] The park claimed it had been vindicated, although it never reopened the ride, saying that people would be afraid to go on it afterwards.[3]

In 1984, a fatal heart attack suffered by one visitor was unofficially believed to have been triggered by the shock of the cold water in the pool beneath the Tarzan Swing. The water on the ride and in that swimming area was 50-60 °F (10-16 °C) while other water areas were in the 70-80 °F (21-27 °C) range more typical of swimming pools. The Tarzan Swing and the Cannonball ride in this area were operated by spring water.[3]

On August 27 of that year, a 20-year-old from Brooklyn drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[43]

On July 19, 1987, an 18-year-old drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[41]

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Be honest, did you even know what the term "ground zero" meant in a general sense?

no absolutely no idea whatsoever

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Celery Face posted:

It's not a rumour. Considering how dangerous the place was, I'm surprised only 6 people died.

Jesus christ just close the loving tidal wave pool

What happens if that thing breeds and learns to walk

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

My family went to River Country on vacations on a fairly regular basis when I was a kid, because a relative was an employee of the main park and always got us free passes. We still have lots of family photos from there. It was awesome when it was open and maintained, it makes me sad to see the wreckage. :( Even then, though, there were rumors that the water was bad.

But that White Water Rapids tube ride was the best, it started at the top in a knee-deep pool in a fake cave that was pitch-black, and after you rounded a bend your tube suddenly dropped ten feet in utter blackness into the main run, then blasted you out into bright sunshine and the main river. It was so much fun that the lines were always really long, so I got in the habit of sneaking "ashore" (the landscaped fake river banks on each side) with my tube right before the last turn into the plunge pool, then climbing the hill back to the top and jumping back in for another run. Of course, that meant missing the cool cave drop at the beginning, but I was small and sneaky and could usually get in six or seven runs for each turn in line before I got caught.

The whole hill was landscaped and decorated, Disney-style, so the bushes had been carefully trimmed to look "wild" and every so often there was a statue of a Bear Jamboree character standing in the bushes waving or what have you, but a few feet back from the tube river edge it turned into natural tree growth woods. One time when I was climbing back up I spotted a little side path leading into that, and left my tube behind and went for a look. The path led up the hill, then around a big rock, and then to a little gray shack that was built cartoon-style, with the off-kilter windows and tilted roof, etc, that was sitting on top of the rock. I figured it was for pump machinery but couldn't hear anything, so I tried the door and to my amazement it opened. Inside was empty except for a small table, a chair, and a hardback notebook open on the table. It faced one of the little dusty cartoon windows and when I looked out, I was seeing the first part of the river run below, the part right after the cave drop when you come out into the light. The notebook was ruled like an accounting ledger and the only thing written in it was a single column of numbers done in pencil. I guess at some point they stationed an employee in there to count the number of riders as they went by? It all seemed very mysterious to a twelve-year-old, though.

River Country was cool.

Interesting page with then-and-now comparison shots: http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2009/12/19/abandoned-disney-river-country-part-1.html

The now-abandoned cave at the start of the tube ride:

Shows the inside and the turn just before the drop:

sic transit gloria mundi :(

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Apr 25, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

13Pandora13 posted:

...beaten.

One of my favorite recent tweets was someone saying that "so much bad poo poo happens in America, you'd think it was built on Native American burial grounds"

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

Speaking of theme parks, I'm sure this has been posted before but it's always good for a mindboggle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

That's not even everything.

The wiki article makes it seem like the pond being "heavily infested with snakes" is some sort of mortal danger, but there are no venomous aquatic snakes in New Jersey. The northern water snake will bite if you pick it up, but not venomous. That's probably the least-scary thing about the park.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Yad Rock posted:

The wiki article makes it seem like the pond being "heavily infested with snakes" is some sort of mortal danger, but there are no venomous aquatic snakes in New Jersey. The northern water snake will bite if you pick it up, but not venomous. That's probably the least-scary thing about the park.

This is true. When I think aquatic snakes, I think of these motherfuckers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus

Water Moccasins are very territorial and their venom can be lethal. I've heard rumors of them chasing fishing boats and actually climbing inside.

In rural parts of the US, people even carry snake guns as protection. I can't decide if that's hilarious or terrifying.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Eien Ni Hen posted:

This is true. When I think aquatic snakes, I think of these motherfuckers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus

Water Moccasins are very territorial and their venom can be lethal. I've heard rumors of them chasing fishing boats and actually climbing inside.

In rural parts of the US, people even carry snake guns as protection. I can't decide if that's hilarious or terrifying.

There's a lot of people who simply don't understand anything about snakes. Moccasins don't chase people, they've got an aggressive reputation because they don't always retreat when threatened. As cliché as it sounds, if you don't grab it, it's simply not going to bite you.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Big Centipede posted:

There's a lot of people who simply don't understand anything about snakes. Moccasins don't chase people, they've got an aggressive reputation because they don't always retreat when threatened. As cliché as it sounds, if you don't grab it, it's simply not going to bite you.

I was also thinking about geography. They only live in the Southeastern US but people here up north think every snake they see near the water is a cottonmouth. The northern water snake also looks a lot like a copperhead so people tend to shoot first and ask questions never.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I stepped on a cottonmouth when I was a kid and it didn't bite me. I also ran into a copperhead in a wood pile and didn't get bit. Not to mention scaring a rattle snake while camping in Arizona. Snakes are pussies.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

to be fair, snake infested water could be a health hazard if the pond's stagnant enough

though

if it was a stagnant pond then p much everything would be a health hazard

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Big Centipede posted:

I kinda guessed the stories I heard about Moccasins chasing people were exaggerated. But still, snake guns!

For content, here's something way scarier and more unnerving than Water Moccasins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis

gently caress you, nature. :(

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I actually did have a cottonmouth aggressively chase after me for a good five or six feet along a boardwalk--I'd surprised it at a trail crossroads. But that's one time out of maybe a couple dozen encounters with them in my life.

Speaking of death trap parks, I couldn't find a decent article, but when I was a kid in Florida there was a park up the street called Topeekeegee Yugnee Park and it had a playground, nature trails, and a manmade sand lagoon. It was basically a false beach (bizarrely it was maybe 5 miles from an actual beach, never understood the point of that) that was lined with plastic and then covered over with sand before adding freshwater. Visibility was nil, it was crowded as gently caress, and I was never allowed to go in deeper than maybe mid-thigh because it was widely known to be a deathtrap. Since it's a smallish park in a smallish city, there's not a lot of information about T.Y. Park that isn't from a municipal website, but I did find a newspaper article from 1993 that cited six deaths in the lagoon from the opening of the park in the mid 70s to that date--six dead kids over maybe 15-17 years. I couldn't find any info on lagoon deaths after that, and they finally closed the lagoon down in 2007.

To this day I have no idea why people used that thing. This is a beach town in an area with very clear water, where pools are just about ubiquitous. But apparently enough people were cool enough with sticking their kids in the murky fake beach to wind up with at least six dead ones.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Eien Ni Hen posted:

I kinda guessed the stories I heard about Moccasins chasing people were exaggerated. But still, snake guns!

For content, here's something way scarier and more unnerving than Water Moccasins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis

gently caress you, nature. :(

I've had guinea worms! It's incredibly exceptionally painful but once they're out its very quickly not much of a problem. not so bad! Drawing them out is horrible though, a saucer of beer, some ether and a needle... wouldn't go through that again if i had the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

lenoon posted:

I've had guinea worms! It's incredibly exceptionally painful but once they're out its very quickly not much of a problem. not so bad! Drawing them out is horrible though, a saucer of beer, some ether and a needle... wouldn't go through that again if i had the choice.
Is the ether for the worms or for yourself?