Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Bholder posted:

None of the mods are worth the price they are asking

BUT THAT'S THE POINT OF FREE MARKET HURR DURR

ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT THE FUNDAMENTS OF AMERICAN SOCIETY, RAMPANT CAPITALISM AND GREED, ARE WRONG?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
Here are isoku's (wet and cold, iNeed) words on this if anyone cares

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zorato posted:

... and this is why I'm not afraid of modding dying any time soon.

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

Zeron posted:

Pity, one big drama bomb has already been avoided. The Art of the Catch guy was using FNIS stuff in the mod, which he hadn't gotten permission to monetize from the FNIS guy for. FNIS guy chimes in and says that yeah this was without his permission and that he really hates this paid mod move. And then the Art of the Catch guy decides to be totally reasonable, say that he was under a non-disclosure agreement so obviously he couldn't contact FNIS beforehand and that Valve said it was perfectly fine if it was available elsewhere for free...and then goes on to say he'll contact FNIS and defer to him and close it down and issue a full refund to all subscribers if that's what he wants. Go Chesko I guess?

And that was fast. Seems they've pulled the mod, deleted all comments and all but two of the discussions on it, and scrubbed the mod page of all information as well.

Edit: In the time it took me to type that first bit they proceeded to pretty much delete everything on the page and delete the discussion where FNIS said he had never contacted them about it as well. All that's left is a blank page and one discussion. This is crazy.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430718983&searchtext=

Well, at least somebody sorta gets it.

quote:

This is the same exact mod/version as the FREE version of "Better Combat AI". The free version will continue to be updated, and will be updated first.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Which means the unofficial patches will probably have been removed from nexus by this time tomorrow. You had better back up your mods folder right loving now.

Yeah I doubt it and if they did then me and 500 other people would be filling out DMCA forms

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
The amount of people rushing to express their spittle-flinging rage for having to spend an entire $1 for other people's hard work has today reminded me of how frustratingly childish, selfish, hateful, and petty the majority of the gaming community still is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zorato posted:

Wet And Cold is built upon a shitheap of other people's work apparently, and I doubt any of them got paid for it:

quote:

SparrowPrince for his original Get Wet implementation.
verteiron for the list of dialogue animation events.
trebtreb for information regarding possible snowy shader issues.
lorelai2009 for her fur cloaks.
Chesko just for his outstanding work on Frostfall.
Omesean for his snowshoes: Aesir Armor.
seanbonaker for his umbrellas: Umbrella.
drsoupiii for his knapsacks: Knapsack Backpacks.
Northborn for his fur hoods: Fur Hoods HD.
frankdema for his leather backpacks: FrankDema Travel Backpack.
TreasureChest, OG-Jay, tumbajamba, DVAted and Targaryen for their fur backpacks: Sabre Gear Backpack.
Arthmoor for his work on Run For Your Lives.
xlwarrior for help with Spanish localization.
Slavovitsh for help with German localization.
starfis for help with Czech localization.
JackLaVaporiera for help with Italian localization.
nakadi5963 for help with Japanese localization.
raphou112 for help with French localization.

Heck, this is the reason why the DayZ mod and the DayZ stand-alone was forked so early; standalone is now just getting features that the mod had for years because the base they used was the product of Rocket only (and not the 4/5 other people who worked on it) and did the lion share of stuff.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 24, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So, I wasn't planning on re-installing Skyrim until I upgraded my PC to max it out. Are there any must have mods I should stash away?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'd pay modders if there was a button for me to drop some steambux from my wallet into theirs.

This current implementation just annoys me.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

El Generico posted:

The amount of people rushing to express their spittle-flinging rage for having to spend an entire $1 for other people's hard work has today reminded me of how frustratingly childish, selfish, hateful, and petty the majority of the gaming community still is.

The modder would only see $.25, and also wouldn't get anything until they had accumulated $100.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

New Concept Hole posted:

The modder would only see $.25, and also wouldn't get anything until they had accumulated $100.

and can't solicit donations

but this is about ~defending the rights of modders for compensation~

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Is a modder not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wet And Cold is built upon a shitheap of other people's work apparently, and I doubt any of them got paid for it:

Hopefully Valve does the right thing in these instances and removes/refunds any mods with such obvious conflicts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Republicans posted:

Hopefully Valve does the right thing in these instances and removes/refunds any mods with such obvious conficts.

:laffo:

Man Whore posted:

A Man mods, a Slave downloads

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Man Whore posted:

"No!" says the man in Maryland, "It belongs to Bethesda!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Man Whore posted:

Is a modder not entitled

They certainly are.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

El Generico posted:

Yeah, why would anyone be annoyed that some people are getting paid for using the work of others who will not be getting paid? That's silly!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They already did it with that Art of the Catch mod, though it was at the author's request. If someone brings it up to Valve they'll probably do the same whether the author wants to or not.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, why would anyone be annoyed that some people are getting paid for using the work of others who will not be getting paid? That's silly!

If this was what people's complaints were, that'd be fine, but it's mostly them just being mad at the sheer gall of mod authors to request monetary compensation for their work. "gently caress DLC", "mods should be free". There's a real conversation to be had about this system, how it has to be curated and monitored, the cut that mod authors get, and so forth, but the vast majority of the noise is just "I don't want to have to pay for what I was getting for free before".

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

El Generico posted:

If this was what people's complaints were, that'd be fine, but it's mostly them just being mad at the sheer gall of mod authors to request monetary compensation for their work. "gently caress DLC", "mods should be free". There's a real conversation to be had about this system, how it has to be curated and monitored, the cut that mod authors get, and so forth, but the vast majority of the noise is just "I don't want to have to pay for what I was getting for free before".

you should stop reading the steam forums then

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zorato posted:

Hahahahahaha this is the most loving fabricated thing ever.

"If it fails then I'll just toss them back on the Nexus like nothing ever happened. If it catches on then all my mods are going on the Workshop because gently caress YOU NEED TO GET MINE."

Isoku posted:

I'm not in this for the money contrary to all the name-calling going around. I don't expect to make much and I'm well aware that mods are easy to pirate so pirate away if it makes you feel better. I saw this more as an opportunity to put my name and my mods out there and see what happens.

Why the gently caress did he jump on the train then, if he wasn't expecting to make much money? He was already loving famous because his mods were quality and were getting endorsements out the rear end, and if he wanted to, he could have gotten half of the Nexus donating to him at the drop of a hat. He got his name out there alright, but not in the way he wanted to, and he's now essentially the poster child for Skyrim modder sell-outs.

And the kicker, he edited his post. the part where he tells his previous donators that he's extremely grateful originally said that they were going to get an update email soon.

E: :laffo: Now he's gone off the Nexus, probably going to take his mods with him too.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 24, 2015

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Hey, maybe Bethesda will invest some of this cash into actually hiring a QA team who can read and write. Even after 3+ years and hundreds of hours of modding bug fixes, their games are still plagued with bugs and technical issues. "Modders will fix it" won't be an excuse for such shoddy programming when you might have to pay someone else to fix the mess they made in the first place.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

El Generico posted:

Yeah it's super hosed up people are upset that their free stuff is getting monetized

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

El Generico posted:

"I don't want to have to pay for what I was getting for free before".

This is a legitimate complaint, though. Not the only complaint, or the biggest problem with this system, but it makes sense to feel this way.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Here's the thing: even if the SW terms weren't amazingly lovely it would still be a horrible thing for modding to move to a microtransaction model facilitated by two giant corporations. So gently caress you. Signed a modder

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

When I hear about all the money people are making modeling TF2 items and DOTA cosmetics and all that dumb poo poo, if you asked me who deserved to make that kinda money for their content, I would've said "Skyrim modders". Valve makes a big cut of that DOTA and TF2 money too, but those guys still get something like tens of thousands of dollars.

Thug Lessons posted:

Here's the thing: even if the SW terms weren't amazingly lovely it would still be a horrible thing for modding to move to a microtransaction model facilitated by two giant corporations. So gently caress you. Signed a modder

I don't imagine all mods are going to be on the Workshop for cash now. It's going to be successful and appropriate for only some. But I mean, it's Bethesda's IP so no monetization model for mods that isn't facilitated by them can exist legally.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 24, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

El Generico posted:

When I hear about all the money people are making modeling TF2 items and DOTA cosmetics and all that dumb poo poo, if you asked me who deserved to make that kinda money for their content, I would've said "Skyrim modders". Valve makes a big cut of that DOTA and TF2 money too, but those guys still get something like tens of thousands of dollars.

Yeah, but cosmetics and gameplay-affecting mods are two completely different things, with the latter being much harder to control in terms of quality.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Thug Lessons posted:

This day, we are bros

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hahahahaha holy gently caress, someone just linked a quote from the Skyrim subreddit on that Nexus front page article saying that the SKSE team will be working on a Workshop version of SKSE.

quote:

I just want to emphasize the SKSE point: The SKSE creators do not care. They do not think this is a disgusting move. They do not have problems with people requiring SKSE in their paid mods. They will be making a workshop version of SKSE.

This is both infuriating and hilarious at the same time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm still under the impression that modding is volunteer work. Make a thing that makes game better, enjoy the thing, go see if other people might like the thing. If you can't make mods and a living at the same time, just drop it and find a less time-consuming hobby.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Gee, I wonder what will happen to modding when, what was already a niche hobby, throws up paywalls that scare off even more people who were already leery of downloading a bunch of weird poo poo into their games that they didn't know what it would do

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

El Generico posted:

I don't imagine all mods are going to be on the Workshop for cash now. It's going to be successful and appropriate for only some. But I mean, it's Bethesda's IP so no monetization model for mods that isn't facilitated by them can exist legally.

It's really not appropriate for the ones up there NOW. Go look at them. Some weapons, some of which may be ported from other games? You have to CONSOLE COMMAND them in, they couldn't even be arsed to place them in any way. What kind of low effort poo poo is that?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

scamtank posted:

I'm still under the impression that modding is volunteer work. Make a thing that makes game better, enjoy the thing, go see if other people might like the thing. If you can't make mods and a living at the same time, just drop it and find a less time-consuming hobby.

Having a crafting hobby is not incompatible with charging for your work. If you enjoy knitting Metroid themed tea cozies, you can put them up on Etsy and make a little side income. People charge each other to paint those little Warhammer miniatures.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's really not appropriate for the ones up there NOW. Go look at them. Some weapons, some of which may be ported from other games? You have to CONSOLE COMMAND them in, they couldn't even be arsed to place them in any way. What kind of low effort poo poo is that?

Well that's lame as hell, nobody should buy those. I liked Wet & Cold last time I tried it.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 24, 2015

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hahahaha, here is a mod for a weapon. How do you get it? Use console commands. Quality control right there.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahaha holy gently caress, someone just linked a quote from the Skyrim subreddit on that Nexus front page article saying that the SKSE team will be working on a Workshop version of SKSE.

This is both infuriating and hilarious at the same time.

It is actually really smart for them. I hope they charge something like $10 for it or whatever because so many mods require it and they sort of hamstring those people.

I'm honestly hoping for this whole thing to end up with frivolous lawsuits, tears, modder drama, and Valve/Bethesda just sort of wallowing around in their hubris.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
As long as the vast majority of the money goes to Bethesda and Valve rather than modders I'm happy with it

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
It's rather ridiculous that people think that they can charge money for derivative work.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Tim Pawlenty posted:

It's rather ridiculous that people think that they can charge money for derivative work.

Adaptations? Cover songs? Remixes?

It's the original author's say whether or not people can charge money for derivative work. They get royalties, they should, not 45% though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
El Generico is absolutely right, in all honesty.

I am terribly petty. Petty enough that I'm considering making my next few purchases on Origin where it's an option. I realize it's just trading a devil for another devil, but hey! US politics work the same way, right?

I barely even use mods, in truth. I just sort of enjoy the feeling of petty rage and indignation.

• Locked thread