Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, my wife is in Paul Mitchell school right now. And my house is now like an LGBT rescue.

We had to go pick one dude up tonight who is 19 and in an abusive relationship. He'd already been asking if he could move in. And there's a 20yr old lesbian, also in am abusive relationship, who is wanting to move in.

I don't care, but it's funny to me. Neither one has any family (well, family that would help them out since they're icky gays) and both are in lovely situations. So we'll see how this works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

IM LAYING NAKED IN MY ROOM POST SHOWER AND I JUST HAD THE HUGEST loving WOLF SPIDER RUN FROM THE BACK OF THE COUCH ACROSS MY BARE CHEST AND DISSAPEAR SOMEWHERE INTO THE DARKNESS

IT WAS LIKE TWO INCHES ACROSS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

She was flirting with you! :3:

The female ones are bigger, so I am making an assumption

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So there could be others?

Welp, time to burn it down. Only option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Finally can confirm that In-N-Out is one of the best drat burger chains out there. I'm in San Jose until Monday, any other nearby California things I should check out?

If you're a nerd, go to the Computer History Museum.

Blackhawk Auto Museum up near San Ramon is also pretty great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't care, but it's funny to me. Neither one has any family (well, family that would help them out since they're icky gays) and both are in lovely situations. So we'll see how this works out.

Careful, make sure they don't gain residency because if poo poo doesn't work out you can't just kick them to the curb.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, ghetto rigged the cutting grid on the ice maker for now. Took the broken wire (which is the very first wire in the circuit) and twisted the broken end around the next wire. It's getting good and warm, but we'll have some funky looking ice cubes. I don't know how well it'll work, since the wire is pretty mangled, and I think it may snag sheets of ice. I'll check on it before I go to bed.

Looked up a new grid online. $150 was the average price. :stonklol: But that website gave me the GE part number to search for a replacement elsewhere. $90 on Amazon + shipping, found it as high as $400 on one site. Found a used one that looks nearly new for "$50 shipped, or best offer" on eBay. Offered $40, they accepted. :woop: Only used one I could find too. They have a 100% feedback rate, though it's the first time he's sold on eBay (he's bought a bit), so here's hoping. It had a good clear picture and crossreference to the GE part # (it's a Whirlpool part).

Also found kits to rebuild the grid, but there's so much calcium buildup on the existing grid (and plastic insulators) that I'm pretty sure I'd wind up breaking something.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Spotted this in the car park across the road and having issues identifying it.
Pretty sure it's a McLaren of some sort and had thought it was an MP4-12C but the rear window is wrong for it to be that.

Any thoughts?

sorry for the super zoomed in picture from a mobile phone through a window

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

freelop posted:

Spotted this in the car park across the road and having issues identifying it.
Pretty sure it's a McLaren of some sort and had thought it was an MP4-12C but the rear window is wrong for it to be that.

Any thoughts?

sorry for the super zoomed in picture from a mobile phone through a window

The tails and door are bang-on, definitely a 12C.

It's gotta be a Spider, I can't find any rear shots with the roof up but it looks like the rear glass sits vertical like that.

E: Found one!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ah awesome, hadn't seen any with the roof up when googling.
Cheers Fucknag

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i have got to change my drat username, it was funny when I was 20, not so much now

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm changing mine next payday.

Just shortening it to STR. I was :2bong: as poo poo when I chose this one.

e: turns out there's a bunch of knowledgeable car nuts in my classes. One guy and I started off discussing cylinder deactivation in his new Ram pickup. Then I mention "You know Cadillac was the first to try that, ri" and he cuts me off with "yup, 1980 or so, the V8-6-4, miserable failure, I think Honda was the first to really make it successful. You know Cadillac used a diesel around the same time too?" And I mentioned "Yeah, the Olds 350 diesel, which can actually be made reliable, it just costs a fortune to do so, and it's still a pig on the best of days", and we started discussing what it takes to make them reliable (mostly good head gaskets and head bolts) and I got some lessons on current diesel engines. It eventually devolved into 5 of us bullshitting about muscle cars, how terrible 80s cars were, modern cars, weed, etc.

Also FINALLY got my loving card to get out of the parking garage. Turns out they forgot to have me sign one line on the application form for the card. :argh: Signed it Tuesday, got the card Thursday night. No more dialing the security desk and pleading my case every time I try to leave.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 24, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

blk posted:

I'm going to visit my last remaining grandparents next week for his 94th birthday (he lives on the other end of the west coast). I don't know how many chances I'll get to see him again. I feel like I should ask him questions and tell him what's going on with me and absorb information, but I don't know what to talk about.

You and me both. My grandma is wayyyy past her expiration date and I should really go visit her this weekend as I'll be out of town for a few weeks. I just have almost nothing to talk to her about, and she's kinda semi-senile so she has little idea about what goes on in my life.

Fuckit, I'll put a bunch of pics of the her great-grand miracle on the ipad in full resolution, show her those for ten minutes, then gently caress off to to the nearby tool store.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

You and me both. My grandma is wayyyy past her expiration date and I should really go visit her this weekend as I'll be out of town for a few weeks. I just have almost nothing to talk to her about, and she's kinda semi-senile so she has little idea about what goes on in my life.

Fuckit, I'll put a bunch of pics of the her great-grand miracle on the ipad in full resolution, show her those for ten minutes, then gently caress off to to the nearby tool store.

The thing to do is to get stories, if you can. I haven't had any grandparents in a number of years, and over the years there have been a lot of little things I've wished I had asked about at some point or another. I guess you can't know what those things are in advance a lot of the time, but if you've had something small you've been curious about, well, you aren't going to get many chances.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

T1g4h posted:

Found this while out reading meters today. Kingsnakes own :3:

That beats the hell out of what i usually find in valve pits. I usually stumble across these evil bastards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake

Thats not a fun one to get bitten by. Theres no pain from the bite and you suffer no symptoms until about 30-45 mins later, when you suddenly collapse because your brains been whalloped by the neurotoxins. Theres a 50/50 chance of cardiac arrest at that moment too!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ferremit posted:

That beats the hell out of what i usually find in valve pits. I usually stumble across these evil bastards

Thats not a fun one to get bitten by. Theres no pain from the bite and you suffer no symptoms until about 30-45 mins later, when you suddenly collapse because your brains been whalloped by the neurotoxins. Theres a 50/50 chance of cardiac arrest at that moment too!

I'm convinced that literally everything in Oz wants to murder you in the most hosed up way possible. You guys seem to have the market cornered on deadly wildlife :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy crap these shielded CAT6A RJ45 jacks are a PITA.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You guys are babies, i have a Samsung Note 4 and its not too big

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So there could be others?

Welp, time to burn it down. Only option.

Wolf spiders and Jumping spiders are the ones you WANT in the house.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Nodoze posted:

You guys are babies, i have a Samsung Note 4 and its not too big

Yeah, right.. I think my Oneplus One is the perfect size, i can just reach every corner with one hand, and everything is clearly visible on the 5.5 inch screen. Your Note is just a little bit bigger, but i can't imagine it as a problem either.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

The only good spider is a dead spider. Seriously. gently caress those guys.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Tide posted:

This is the realest talk right here

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Jesus, gently caress that. People here freak out over harmless Black Racers, they would have meltdowns over those things here.

I was actually kind of surprised of this in the wiki article:

quote:

As this species tends to initiate their defence with non-fatal bites, the untreated mortality rate in most snakebite cases reported is 10–20%, which is not very high.

I thought for sure you're a dead person without treatment, but i guess in defense mode they don't give you a full dose, interesting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Hope you like other bugs more then.

Statistically, per ever one spider you have in your house, they consume a significant amount of pests, usually 50x their individual count. So make your choice: Spiders or Pest Insects.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Statistically, per ever one spider you have in your house, they consume a significant amount of pests, usually 50x their individual count. So make your choice: Spiders or Pest Insects.

Spiders, snakes and bats are welcome at my house. Have a few bat house things set up and several places snakes like to hang out. Need to see if the big corn snake is still around this year, last year it was up to around 3.5 feet. Thing is very tame somehow, will sit 10-15 feet away on the patio in the sun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Spiders, snakes and bats are welcome at my house. Have a few bat house things set up and several places snakes like to hang out. Need to see if the big corn snake is still around this year, last year it was up to around 3.5 feet. Thing is very tame somehow, will sit 10-15 feet away on the patio in the sun.

We have bats that roost in our attic, I laid down catch pans to catch their droppings and I clean them out monthly. the past month we can sit in the back yard and watch them swooping around eating bugs.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Hope you like other bugs more then.

I approve of the house spiders who live in the various cracks/holes in my house who don't build lots of webs everywhere and keep to themselves and hide as soon as they see me coming. I'l forgive them on the occasions I catch them lurking in a corner somewhere because they eat the bugs and run and hide the minute they notice me.

gently caress the spiders who brazenly stroll around the house in the daylight, build big annoying webs or are not scared of me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Called every junkyard near me and there is not one single Cobalt amongst then. I figured they'd be lousy with 'em. Time to overpay on eBay so I can pass inspection, yay.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tomarse posted:

I approve of the house spiders who live in the various cracks/holes in my house who don't build lots of webs everywhere and keep to themselves and hide as soon as they see me coming. I'l forgive them on the occasions I catch them lurking in a corner somewhere because they eat the bugs and run and hide the minute they notice me.

gently caress the spiders who brazenly stroll around the house in the daylight, build big annoying webs or are not scared of me.

We have black widows and sun spiders. I just long for a boring garden spider to build a web that I can walk into without instantly shrieking about how the Black Death has got me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a 6 Plus and it looks like a normal phone in my hand. Then my wife picks it up and it looks ginormous.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Anyone who hates jumping spiders is literally Hitler :colbert:

Jumping spiders own. They're tiny and adorable and completely harmless. They're the best :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

Jumping spiders are the only known arachnid that show intense curiosity in their surroundings and unknown objects that are NOT food. So if you see them (you'll know them, they are tiny and colorful and have two big eyes), leave em be. They're just curious.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

El Jebus posted:

We have black widows and sun spiders. I just long for a boring garden spider to build a web that I can walk into without instantly shrieking about how the Black Death has got me.

If you have widows then you know the intensely unique crackle their webs make when you put your hand through one in a spot you cant see directly, say, for example, reachin under your driver's seat at a stop light reaching for a dropped lighter.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

For anyone that says Michigan is a hellhole I would counter that our lack of poisonous flora and fauna, destructive weather, earthquakes, and abundance of fresh water make up for the misery of snow six months out of the year

Speaking of snow, it snowed here and was 29º yesterday, today it's 60º and sunny :confuoot:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Called every junkyard near me and there is not one single Cobalt amongst then. I figured they'd be lousy with 'em. Time to overpay on eBay so I can pass inspection, yay.

row52.com buddy, use it!

Tusen Takk posted:

For anyone that says Michigan is a hellhole I would counter that our lack of poisonous flora and fauna, destructive weather, earthquakes, and abundance of fresh water make up for the misery of snow six months out of the year

nothing makes up for living in michigan dude, don't lie.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CommieGIR posted:

And yet all I ever find are daddy long legs.
A million of them. :/

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

If you have widows then you know the intensely unique crackle their webs make when you put your hand through one in a spot you cant see directly, say, for example, reachin under your driver's seat at a stop light reaching for a dropped lighter.

Ughhh nooooooo.

I'm so happy my jeep has a cigarette lighter.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I walked through a web some spider spun across my kitchen doorway the other night. After I detangled myself I looked around and the bastard was sitting there watching me from the corner, likely disappointed that he wasn't able to roll me up and spend the next decade eating me.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tusen Takk posted:

Any state that doesn't sometimes try to kill you by literally shaking itself/blowing really hard at you isn't worth living in, hth

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Professor Bling posted:

Any state that doesn't sometimes try to kill you by literally shaking itself/blowing really hard at you isn't worth living in, hth

However the inverse is not true, as Florida not only blows really hard but tries to drown you simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

I walked through a web some spider spun across my kitchen doorway the other night. After I detangled myself I looked around and the bastard was sitting there watching me from the corner, likely disappointed that he wasn't able to roll me up and spend the next decade eating me.

More like: "gently caress, I just finished that!"

• Locked thread