Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo go nuts and make it actually about knitting, other people already are and I think the reactions are gonna be pretty funny

Link it here so the rest of us can go and poo poo it up with actual knitting content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=269

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
Haha, naalbinding thread in there! Time to take it far more seriously than anyone expected.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

petecas posted:

Haha, naalbinding thread in there! Time to take it far more seriously than anyone expected.

I am in awe of your naalbinding skills :stare:

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

Thanks!

Except for the part where it's ridiculously slow going, it just seems like crochet to me. Easy to increase or decrease and make shapes.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

petecas posted:

How did you do thissssssss. Seriously, it's awesome.

Some of the less serious threads are kinda funny but all the real content is awesome. It gets me into posting again haha. (And maybe making more socks)

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

As for as "how" goes, my general sock pattern is to start a band at the widest part of my foot and reduce to the toes. Then pick up at the midsection again and use heel type E from this site.

The "why" is maybe a better question, and the answer is "I was unemployed and going insane".

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

left_unattended posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only weirdo who looks at a pattern and knows *exactly* what shade it needs to be knit in? It only happens every so often, but I've had Mrs Peacock in my queue for over a year now, and I've always known that it needs to be in a shade of purple that's pretty close to the one in the pictures - it just won't work in another colour. I'll have to look again in the daylight, but I'm pretty sure I've finally found that purple. Beyond excited.

It doesn't happen to me for patterns but sometimes when I see a yarn its almost like it tells me what it needs to be. Like a fantastic varigated skein I got a few months ago just said to me while I was looking, "I'm supposed to be a seed stitch scarf." And that was that!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I had no idea this thread was here. I will try to direct everyone from The Needle Exchange back to here when I switch it out in a couple days.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I'm really sad that The Needle Exchange is gone. Where else am I going to find Vaginal Knitting videos.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Haji posted:

I'm really sad that The Needle Exchange is gone. Where else am I going to find Vaginal Knitting videos.

Can't remember the name of the podcast but there's one where the chick re-enacts her birth with a Viajante.

Which, due to the post a bit up this very page, I want to knit. In black. It's about ten miles of laceweight stockinette, but goddammit I will have my Nazgul shroud thing.

Tomorrow I'm going with my knitting group to YARN CON! :holy: I've budgeted 100 smackers, hopefully I can get something to put towards an Exploration Station!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Tomorrow I'm going with my knitting group to YARN CON! :holy: I've budgeted 100 smackers, hopefully I can get something to put towards an Exploration Station!

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALOUS.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I was at Interweave Yarn Fest here in Colorado over the past few days. I took a workshop with the ladies of Kelbourne Woolens about reading and working from lace charts. I also took a workshop with Annie Modesitt on Charted Entrelac which was really good. I like the way she has it laid out with charts - makes a bit more sense to me than written instructions. The marketplace was pretty good- not being a spinner I wish there had been room for more vendors so that there might've been more yarn and other items. I'm going to try and go to Stitches West next February for my 30th birthday.

Edit:include photo of swatch from Entrelac class

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 19, 2015

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ms. Happiness posted:

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALOUS.

Get ready to be even more jealous, here's my haul!

Won a sock blank! This is going to get paired with my friend's solid yellow hand-dyed to become a Daybreak.

I don't know what I'm doing with this; I've never knitted laceweight before. But the picture does not do justice to how NEON it is, and it is the SOFTEST STUFF EVER. I could not stop petting it all day.

This shall become a Horai.

The big splurge of the day at $39, destined to be a Dangling Conversation.

So I didn't get anything for the Exploration Station; nothing was quite right so I'll be consulting with my yarnie friend about some custom skeins :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Well, I hope no one here backed the FibroFibers kickstarter, because the comments are filled with people demanding refunds. Looks like the old 'took the money and ran' kickstarter story.

I almost backed this one, too. Dodged that bullet.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Wandering Knitter posted:

Well, I hope no one here backed the FibroFibers kickstarter, because the comments are filled with people demanding refunds. Looks like the old 'took the money and ran' kickstarter story.

Is this the same lady who made a big stink about post-Christmas sales and how people should spend their money on people like her because she doesn't get enough sales at the beginning of the year to support her family? That was really amusing.

EDIT: Haha, found it.

ackapoo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 21, 2015

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My favorite part is this comment from her:

quote:

The other thing I want to address is that Kickstarter rewards are not preorders. Kickstarter is not a shopping platform. Kickstarter is a way for people to support projects they're interested in and the perks are just that - perks.

It's your own fault for supporting me and expecting something after I told you that you would get something in return for your support!

e: Holy poo poo, that form post of her's is amazing! Cold Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeping! :argh:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2015

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

ackapoo posted:

Is this the same lady who made a big stink about post-Christmas sales and how people should spend their money on people like her because she doesn't get enough sales at the beginning of the year to support her family? That was really amusing.

Ya gotta love how thoroughly and creatively she got spanked for that in the comments, and how she didn't dare reply to any of them. :allears:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Making a klein bottle hat. It looks positively obscene.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

ackapoo posted:

So is "cold sheeping" just not buying from indie dyers? I've never heard that term before. I've been pretty lucky (unlucky?) on Ravelry and never been in a group that has an angry post fest happen on it.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
It's not buying yarn at all, apparently. Like "cold turkey" but for yarn :).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I did that for a year when my yarn stash got too out of hand. It worked wonders, but the side effect was whenever I'd go to a yarn store I'd buy some notions or patterns instead. Guess I gotta go cold turkey on that now. :haw:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

That's cold treeing and cold petrochemicaling (assuming the notions were plastic) :v:

Oh man, apparently she posted something super butthurt about how DANGEROUS and MEAN it is to make a personal decision about your budget and then people shouted at her and she edited her post to this: http://www.fibrofibers.com/nocoldsheep.html

eta: I actually feel really sorry for her. I periodically go into and out of business as an independent seamstress, and even when it's a planned shutdown (or a controlled crash) it's incredibly stressful. It's really easy to disappear into a hole of "I'm letting everyone down and I'm a terrible person for wasting all that effort, why do I even bother getting up in the morning" when your business is doing poorly. I can't imagine how it would feel to raise a bunch of money from strangers and then not be able to follow through.

Of course, I'm going with the charitable interpretation that she raised the money in good faith and has discovered in a particularly public and embarrassing way that she's not good at business. At least I've only failed with my own money, and occasionally small sums of family money.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2015

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Wow, I've known her for a couple of years on and off via Twitter and Ravelry, I had no idea her Kickstarter situation was going this badly. I knew about the drama surrounding her goofy 'cold sheeping' shenanigans but hadn't written her off at this point. Now, particularly with that "Kickstarter is not a shopping/preorder platform" bullshit, I probably will. Sad because she's genuinely a nice person and I really do like her, but she has a lot of problems to sort through and apparently a complete lack of business sense.

Drakochan
Apr 2, 2015
I'm working on my first set of socks!

About halfway through sock #2.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Drakochan posted:

I'm working on my first set of socks!

About halfway through sock #2.

Awesome! I'm in the final stretch for sock 2 of my first pair and ooooh man no-one will ever be able to wear those. The first one was done cuff-down on size 1 needles, so it has beautiful stitch definition but no stretch at all, and the pattern I used evidently had a typo in the decreases for the toe so there weren't enough. As a result it has the pointiest of pointy wizard toes, suitable only if one also wears pointy wizard shoes. Oh, and it took me more than a year to knit. I got pretty bored with it.

The second sock was done toe-up on size 2 needles, as I figured since the first sock was unwearable I may as well try the other way and see if I like it better. I do, but this one's too big. So what did I learn? Size 1 needles suck, toe-up is less traumatic, and a short-row heel is infinitely better than a heel flap. Once the second one is done (this weekend probably - and I only cast on three weeks ago!) I'll post a picture. Aw man, y'alls will be laughing at me for that first sock.

We're going to Romney Wools next week because my girlfriend wants to pick up a drum carder (apparently I'm an insufficiently manly boyfriend because I dislike doing hand carding for her but nice enough because I bought her her spinning wheel? She spins, I knit, we are the ultimate power couple!) and I think I might get some more sock yarn. Now that Target isn't in Canada anymore I may have to supply my own obnoxious socks.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
About 5 days of hospital knitting has let me:

Finish the second half of Scarf With No Name

And make good progress on Snowflake

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

^^I just finished a big project and I was looking forward to some knitting downtime, but those look so beautiful it makes me want to do something with color and lace! Knitting never stops!

And my project that I've been working on since Christmas:

Celestarium with Stellar Wave Edging

The actual shawl was no big deal, just a bunch of knitting in the round for the most part. The edging took f o r e v e r though.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
At this point I don't think I *could* stop knitting. I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Both projects were/are nice and simple, No Name Scarf particularly. And I *love* Celestarium! I've had it in my queue for a while now. I'd love to do it in worsted or maybe DK to make it really huge and snuggly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Sex Hobbit posted:

The big splurge of the day at $39, destined to be a Dangling Conversation.

Hit the first eyelet row last night!

This yarn is staining my fingers terribly :(

Drakochan
Apr 2, 2015

Sex Hobbit posted:

Hit the first eyelet row last night!

It's so lovely so far! I can't wait to see how the gradient looks on it if you keep sharing your progress.

I want to do this shawl one day! I'm still such a beginner for all these awesome projects.

I'm eyeing baby blanket patterns to start for a friend of mine that's expecting this autumn. She's waiting to see what sex the baby is until she picks a color but I still have no idea what a good blanket pattern to use for it. I need to finish that sock first.... Open to suggestions?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Drakochan posted:

It's so lovely so far! I can't wait to see how the gradient looks on it if you keep sharing your progress.

I want to do this shawl one day! I'm still such a beginner for all these awesome projects.

I'm eyeing baby blanket patterns to start for a friend of mine that's expecting this autumn. She's waiting to see what sex the baby is until she picks a color but I still have no idea what a good blanket pattern to use for it. I need to finish that sock first.... Open to suggestions?

Mitered squares! KnitPicks' Hue Shift Afghan pattern comes in a unisex baby version so you could get started right now, and if you buy the pattern you get a discount on the yarn so it's super reasonable. I'm working on the rainbow version myself!

And I do plan on posting progress pics; my sole new years' resolution was to be a more productive knitter and it helps with accountability :)

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I finished my klein bottle hat. I made it too short the first time, but I didn't realize that until I had already sewn in everything, so I cut out a row in the middle, made it longer, and then grafted it back together. The grafting is a bit wonky, but it's on the inside, and the mother-in-law that requested the hat will never know the difference. I had to choose between correct stitching and no stretch or a hosed up row and stretch. Since it was the inside of a hat, I went with the latter.

I've started announcing knitted gifts on the gift-giving day and giving people a few options to choose from, then giving it to them later. For family, getting together usually ends up on another gift-giving day, so I'm always giving the wrong person a gift. To make this more clear, my husband has two moms, so I have two mothers-in-law. I gave MIL1 a gift at the holidays when I had drawn my brother-in-law's name, then got him his holiday gifts on MIL2's birthday, and now I'll be giving MIL2 the hat I made for her when we celebrate MIL1's birthday. Now one of MIL2's friends is paying me $60 to make him two hats. Gonna be a hat-knitting-extravaganza.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I'm going to knit a shawl for my friends birthday and she picked out this pattern from Ravelry.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/obsession-4

However, I can't for the life of me find the pattern anywhere on the page. It's even listed in their patterns with a price but everything just brings me back to that page. Am I just really dumb and missing a completely obvious link or is it unavailable for anyone else?

We picked out another pattern just in case but it's really annoying as she really liked that first one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What happens when you click "buy it now"? You should stay on the same page but get a popup within the page.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

That does not appear for me, maybe it's a location thing? I'm in the UK.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Serenity Dove posted:

It is a UK thing. Weird tax stuff that I don't totally remember. Check your PMs.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Serenity Dove posted:

Yeah it's a location thing. If a designer wants to post a pattern for sale in the UK, they have to upload it to a separate site that does all the tax bullshit for the UK. It's really a pretty simple process and Ravelry walks you through it and links it all up for you, but it does require making a whole new account on that separate site and getting validated and all, so for some people it just might not be worth the effort.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Can anyone help me find this pattern?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/11-light-jacket

It says on Rav that it's available online but it appears to be gone from the original website. I fell in love with it, I love lace :(

Edit: Got it.

I've been knitting this for months, but recently decided to frog it and do it in stockinette. I hate double seed stitch, and I was hate knitting the entire thing, which is why it was taking so very long.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/climbing-lace-cardigan-w234 I think I will like it better in good ol' stockinette.

evelynevvie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

Thank you Marchantia! All hail the goon swarm!

In other news winding 1000 yards of lace weight sucks. I've also been unwinding 500 yards of tangled light weight yarn. I feel like I'm spending more time sorting our yarn than knitting at the moment!