Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

James Garfield posted:

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

Update: I interviewed some official forums posters and apparently that dude sends the same message to everyone who views his profile :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Update: I interviewed some official forums posters and apparently that dude sends the same message to everyone who views his profile :laugh:

Play the role at any cost.

At. Any. Cost.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I played botes for a few hours the other day. It was interesting. I definitely see what you guys were saying about it being more relaxing than tanks. I'm by no means a pro at this but I think I caught on pretty quickly. I liked how destroyers have great speed & mobility, but hated how pubbies are even more brain-dead than in tanks. In two or three battles (all co-op) we were getting capped out, with me at the furthest point on the map, and I'm like, "Really? Nobody's gonna go back to reset?" Pubbies seem to have no understanding of the capture mechanics.

I like the waypoint/autopilot system, but dislike how it resets if you take manual control temporarily; it'd be nice if you could resume your previous path, and have more than 5 waypoints.

Anyways, I probably won't put too much time into the CBT because it's all going to get wiped, unless they give us some freebies for a certain number of battles like in tanks.

I think my favorite part of the experience was the fact that there is apparently no punishment for TKing. :black101: I had to "liberate" a couple of retards who rammed into me or otherwise did stupid poo poo, including one who tried to TK me but missed with all his torpedoes. Then he said something to the extent of, "So what if I'm dead, now you have to stay here for the rest of the battle and lose," at which point I proceeded to carry the rest of us to a win. :allears:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Atomizer posted:

I think my favorite part of the experience was the fact that there is apparently no punishment for TKing. :black101: I had to "liberate" a couple of retards who rammed into me or otherwise did stupid poo poo, including one who tried to TK me but missed with all his torpedoes. Then he said something to the extent of, "So what if I'm dead, now you have to stay here for the rest of the battle and lose," at which point I proceeded to carry the rest of us to a win. :allears:

Although there currently is no mechanic to punish TK, they have actually came up with something that should get implemented soon. See one of my earlier post for details:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705704&pagenumber=86&perpage=40#post444316015

It will allow for much needed griefing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Cleveland is a really nice boat.

That keeps getting it's guns shot off.

I was reduced to attempting to ram something in my last match because I had no more main armament to shoot and I didn't have enough health to do secondary brawling.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Cleveland is a really nice boat.

That keeps getting it's guns shot off.

I was reduced to attempting to ram something in my last match because I had no more main armament to shoot and I didn't have enough health to do secondary brawling.

Seems like it might be worth getting the 20% chance to critical damage reduction upgrade.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

...So, it's apparently started. People gaming MM to give whatever team they're on a huge advantage.

Div2 on their team completely screwed up matchmaker, giving their team the advantage both in quality and numbers. So congrats on your win, fuckers.

Eh, it is Closed Beta. Who gives a gently caress about rigged MM or statpadding for that matter, since everything will be wiped regardless.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

orange juche posted:

Seems like it might be worth getting the 20% chance to critical damage reduction upgrade.

It's on there. Either it's bugged and actually giving a 20% increased chance of that stuff happening or my efforts to dodge enemy fire just make my guns a magnet for destruction. My Fuso lost a gun decently often, but my Cleveland loses one every 3 or 4 games and often loses more :psyduck:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I actually don't know why I would bother driving a carrier at all in rando pub matches, your team always rushes headlong into the enemy line and when 3 destroyers get through the line there's nothing that can be done about it except to die to the first salvo of torps.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

orange juche posted:

I actually don't know why I would bother driving a carrier at all in rando pub matches, your team always rushes headlong into the enemy line and when 3 destroyers get through the line there's nothing that can be done about it except to die to the first salvo of torps.

One of the thing that is cool about carriers is that, much like every other ships, they have engine and can move. The higher tiers are also very fast in a straight line and even destroyers will have trouble catching up to you. For example, the Lexington has a speed of 34 knots. (down to 23 in a tight turn).

I recommend hiding somewhere behind an island in a position that will allow you to just gun it if you notice a DD getting through your line.

Also, never underestimate your secondaries. A 3/4 dead destroyer managed to break through and close on me yesterday. I managed to avoid most of his torpedoes and cheered when my secondaries finished him off before he could reload.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
CV are simply too boring to bother with right now and the MM shows that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

CV are simply too boring to bother with right now and the MM shows that.

I think its a matter of opinion. I like CV's for the RTS side of things. When you have a competent carrier player on the enemy team, it makes it even better. There are games in which I'm having trouble breaking through with my torpedo bombers because the other carrier is just that competent with his fighters. It can be very challending when you're facing two rangers, both equipped with fighters only.

You also have to face weird choices when all the planes meet up. Do you try and kill enemy torpedo bombers with your fighters to save friendly ships, or do you use your fighters to kill his fighters so that your torpedo bombers are unimpeded? Basically, its just a completely different type of game play. I can see why people may not like it tho, but it sure as hell beats the poo poo out of playing artillery in W.o.T.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Unfortunately players treat carrier drivers much like Artillery players in WoT, they immediately abandon them and give absolutely no fucks about them for the rest of the game.

Also, the always-ALT mod is loving AMAZING, no more carpal tunnel for me!

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
guarding arty in wot is just about the most useless thing you can do

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

orange juche posted:

Unfortunately players treat carrier drivers much like Artillery players in WoT, they immediately abandon them and give absolutely no fucks about them for the rest of the game.

Also, the always-ALT mod is loving AMAZING, no more carpal tunnel for me!

Carriers have a funny place in this game. People call them sky cancer and useless, but will literally ignore everything else around them for the remote chance of killing a carrier player. I've often seen DD's (even cruisers) try to chase me (or other carriers) at the expense of everything else, only to end up being sunk without ever reaching their goal or retaliating against whoever sunk them.

I think one of the fundamental problems with carriers is that they're completely hit and miss. Any other ship can afford to miss often during the course of the map and still end up doing a lot of damage. The carrier does not have this luxury. Every miss means being completely useless for at least 3 or 4 minutes of gameplay while waiting for the planes to come back. In most games, a carrier player will get to do 2 torpedo runs. 3 at the most. My personal best was 4 but I took extreme risks by following the fleet and being in range of being spotted and shot at.

A possible solution would be to increase the speed at which planes travel, while lowering the damage that torpedo bombers does. I'd rather do less damage per hit, but increase the amount of times my planes get to do a sortie.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
They're making planes fly faster after dropping their payloads in 0.3.1 which is good; I hope the speed bonus is noticeable.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Insert name here posted:

They're making planes fly faster after dropping their payloads in 0.3.1 which is good; I hope the speed bonus is noticeable.

I wonder how much of a speed bonus tho. The other day I sent my fighters to try and catch up to some torpedo bombers that had just dropped their load. Even though my fighters were relatively close, it took them more than lf the map to actually catch up and start shooting. I fear that if they increase the speed too much after the torpedoes are dropped, fighters may be unable to catch the torpedo bombers in a reasonable amount of time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dalael posted:

I wonder how much of a speed bonus tho. The other day I sent my fighters to try and catch up to some torpedo bombers that had just dropped their load. Even though my fighters were relatively close, it took them more than lf the map to actually catch up and start shooting. I fear that if they increase the speed too much after the torpedoes are dropped, fighters may be unable to catch the torpedo bombers in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd actually be fine if unladen bombers were faster than fighters. Gotta intercept them before they drop or they get away. Also could provide some interesting choices in "do i drop my load now and get away or get closer and drop my load but get caught by fighters".

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TheSpartacus posted:

People should hop on TS and get some goonfleets going

I know, I created an area in TS just to facilitate this..

also you botes shitlers Aslain now has a modpack for botes. I added it to the OP as well.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0303-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v010-23042015/

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm just waiting for the patch, wanna drive those fat american boats.

Can't wait to have crazy future hud bullshit in warships though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Wish me luck, I installed a modpack from some Russian guy and it was completely in the mother tongue so I had no idea what the gently caress I just installed.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ranbo das posted:

I'd actually be fine if unladen bombers were faster than fighters. Gotta intercept them before they drop or they get away. Also could provide some interesting choices in "do i drop my load now and get away or get closer and drop my load but get caught by fighters".

I don't really like this idea. First of all, historically, bombers are slower than fighter. They tend to be a bit bigger and heavier, and made to carry weight. Fighters are meant for speed. That is their thing. Secondly, the map is big enough and gaps in spotting coverage wide enough that fighters are often out of position to intercept. Those choices you are mentioning are already present in the game.

Fighters need to be fast enough that they can catch torpedo bombers to be able to intercept them or catch them after they drop their load. But they can't be so fast that it would guarantee the torpedo bomber's demise. They also need to be able to get away if the fighters are too far away. A good balance must be found, and I think we're not quite there yet.

demonR6 posted:

Wish me luck, I installed a modpack from some Russian guy and it was completely in the mother tongue so I had no idea what the gently caress I just installed.

You sir, are a very brave man.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

orange juche posted:

I killed two DD's, a Phoenix, and a Myogi with my Cleveland in a match last night while protecting our sole carrier. The entire time my team was bitching in chat about the useless Cleveland hiding in back, even as my kill count went to 4 they were crying. The carrier guy was fairly happy though.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

demonR6 posted:

I know, I created an area in TS just to facilitate this..

also you botes shitlers Aslain now has a modpack for botes. I added it to the OP as well.

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-0303-aslains-wows-modpack-installer-wpicture-preview-v010-23042015/

Demon, thanks for linking the mods in the OP. Last night I was playing w/out any mods, still did decent. Killed two cruisers and a destroyer with secondaries in my Nagato. Whoever it was who said to upgrade all the secondaries on that thing is a genius.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
even though theres barely any mods out, i take not of how some my little pony mod is already included in his package. confirmed that boats is a game for the absolute lowest of the low

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

REMOVE CRUISERS FROM THE GAME

Fk that noise

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Atal Vataman posted:

even though theres barely any mods out, i take not of how some my little pony mod is already included in his package. confirmed that boats is a game for the absolute lowest of the low

So that's why you're playing it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Atal Vataman posted:

Are people starting out battles by saying "good luck everypony" yet? I try to tk everyone who does that in WOT.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

xthetenth posted:

So that's why you're playing it.

yeah, it gives me an excuse to shitpost about it and insult people on ts.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Atal Vataman posted:

yeah, it gives me an excuse to shitpost about it and insult people on ts.

You need an excuse?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uranium 235 posted:

Are people starting out battles by saying "good luck everypony" yet? I try to tk everyone who does that in WOT.

Yes! "Good luck everypony, POI POI POI!!" Worked like a charm. Two Shut the gently caress up's and one go to hell freak.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

...So, it's apparently started. People gaming MM to give whatever team they're on a huge advantage.

Div2 on their team completely screwed up matchmaker, giving their team the advantage both in quality and numbers. So congrats on your win, fuckers.

edit: The Kitakami was a moron too, so that certainly didn't help, but in the grand scheme of things it would not have mattered.

Has anyone tried a plat with two tier 1's and a yamato? we would get some really crazy games in tanks that way.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Yes! "Good luck everypony, POI POI POI!!" Worked like a charm. Two Shut the gently caress up's and one go to hell freak.

I resent you for being one of those who say Poi. What is wrong with you? Go back to watching your anime.

E: Okay.. maybe not resent.. But seriously, Poi is your big troll?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 24, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sure got them good with a flawless imitation of a total idiot.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
"[something nerds don't like] poi" gets fairly consistent results. "Anime is for children poi" works a lot better than without the poi.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

James Garfield posted:

"[something nerds don't like] poi" gets fairly consistent results. "Anime is for children poi" works a lot better than without the poi.

That one is goddamn excellent is why.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

James Garfield posted:

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

Pretty sure that's a gimmick account. The entire thing is a character from the PSP RPG Fate/Extra.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

-Troika- posted:

Pretty sure that's a gimmick account. The entire thing is a character from the PSP RPG Fate/Extra.

Have you seen his posts because uh...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hopterque posted:

Have you seen his posts because uh...

I never read posts on the official forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, anyway, in that screenshot you can see he's got 3000 posts, he has been an alpha tester and is extremely vocal and stupid about a ton of poo poo, so it's not just some character based gimmick thing.