Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nobody really knows. But it is true that cream should get nowhere near carbonara (sorry slidebite).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32431956

James May will not return without Clarkson. So that's that then.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bigsteve posted:

quote:

Earlier this week, Shillinglaw stressed there was no ban on Clarkson returning to the BBC, despite director general Tony Hall's decision to fire him last month, saying "a line has been crossed".

"It's serious and unfortunate what happened but there is no ban on Jeremy being on the BBC," said Shillinglaw.

"It's a big deal what happened and Jeremy, as any human being would, needs some time."

You can feel the backpedalling.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Bigsteve posted:

That's good news. Not sure I could watch a Top Gear where May and Hammond had to force their interaction with a new Clarkson.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wasabi the J posted:

You can feel the backpedalling.

It would make them look so much less lovely if they would have just said they were putting him on unpaid suspension for a year or something. Then they don't look like hypocrites and they get record viewership for a Top Gear season that really isn't that far off the usual schedule anyway as people are chomping at the bit for the return of Clarkson.

I still think he acted like a giant diaper baby, but I can at least respect the fact that he didn't use his personal situation as an excuse. It's possible that information coming to light is what's softening the BBC on him a bit.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

RhoA posted:

That's good news. Not sure I could watch a Top Gear where May and Hammond had to force their interaction with a new Clarkson.

They could just get a literal gorilla and act like he's Clarkson.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RhoA posted:

He's not stupid and knows that almost everyone would hate it if they added in a fake Jezza.

He doesn't need the money, so he can stay away from sucha stupid idea.

For that matter, any replacements are going to be compared so hard to the trio, that they shouldn't even try to emulate them in any way at all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CornHolio posted:

They could just get a literal gorilla and act like he's Clarkson.

Orangutan :eng101:

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Bros before shows, yo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chris harris has been doing bits with fifth gear lately, and although there is chemistry between him and tiff, the show itself is just so loving dry.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Honestly I find Chris Harris super loving dry and boring. I'm not sure why.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

THere's no irony or sarcasm in his monologues and interactions with others. He's a smart guy and passionate about cars for sure, but humor may not be his strong point.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
If James May spent the rest of his life making Man Lab I'd be happy with that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

MustardFacial posted:

If James May spent the rest of his life making Man Lab youtube cooking shows I'd be happy with that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"All the regular cooking poo poo" with James May, this week's special guest is Oz Clarke! Again!

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

spog posted:

For that matter, any replacements are going to be compared so hard to the trio, that they shouldn't even try to emulate them in any way at all.

I'm sure the producers will try to take it in a new direction whenever they pick the next trio, but will end up likely trying to go back to the same formula that made the trio of Clarkson, May, and Hammond work so well once the viewership drops low enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bigsteve posted:

http://jalopnik.com/james-may-all-three-top-gear-hosts-might-be-back-on-th-1699753384

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CannonFodder posted:

"All the regular cooking poo poo" with James May, this week's special guest is Oz Clarke! Again!

I'm down for this.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This is obviously the BBC pulling a "New Coke" and getting rid of Clarkson so everyone would complain and cry. Then they can reap in the profits when they bring him back and have a spectacular comeback season.

Because crazy high ratings weren't good enough... they want ludicrous ratings :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Logikv9 posted:

This is obviously the BBC pulling a "New Coke" and getting rid of Clarkson so everyone would complain and cry. Then they can reap in the profits when they bring him back and have a spectacular comeback season.

Because crazy high ratings weren't good enough... they want ludicrous ratings :getin:

The ratings have gone into the plaid! :haw:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CannonFodder posted:

My DVR is primed and ready.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Watch the video of him driving a Jaguar XK120 in the Mille Miglia and get back to me.

I like Harris, but can't see him doing a show where he is co-hosting with someone else. I rather he sticks to his solo videos

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's that guy who's like an American Zero Punctuation for cars, right?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Chris Harris is undoubtedly not American...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh right, I'm thinking of the Regular Car Reviews.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

Chris Harris is undoubtedly not American...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo

I loved when he did the Audi Quattro History:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyS9_QYskk&index=6&list=FLgIrijo82AYT8DdT9WjunwQ

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Data Graham posted:

Oh right, I'm thinking of the Regular Car Reviews.

Nah that's Red Letter Media for cars.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
And now Wilman has officially gone. Its all but over for Top Gear.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32437814

I can't see anyone watching now no matter who they replace with.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bigsteve posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11558337/Andy-Wilman-resigns-as-Top-Gear-team-reconvene-to-plot-next-move.html

In happier news, a nice photo yesterday:

quote:

Wilman, who is credited with revamping Top Gear to its current success, has told BBC executives he will no longer be working on the programme. He has formally resigned from the corporation, the Telegraph has learned.

The decision came as he was photographed with his former team in London, in the first time they have been spotted together in public since the Top Gear fall-out. The quartet were spotted in London today, entering Clarkson's home before leaving together to enjoy a drink at a local pub.

Celebrating his last day at work....or planning to take over the world?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Wilman is very good. Top gear was good because it discovered James May (top gear was poo poo before May came on). As this thread has shown, people would watch May doing anything.
Clarkson is old, tired and stressed so he should retire, and no one would watch Hammond doing anything - he was just a gag on the show being scared of bugs and most food, and useless/boring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

Wilman is very good. Top gear was good because it discovered James May (top gear was poo poo before May came on). As this thread has shown, people would watch May doing anything.
Clarkson is old, tired and stressed so he should retire, and no one would watch Hammond doing anything - he was just a gag on the show being scared of bugs and most food, and useless/boring.

Don't forget he was the resident American-poo poo presenter.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What does that mean?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Fo3 posted:

Hammond did have some pretty awesome chemistry with May and Clarkson though. Some particular favorite moments of mine from the series are when the presenters roll in to a car challenge and Hammond shows up with something entirely unexpected (which is normally followed by hilarious ridicule).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Sandbagger SA posted:

Hammond did have some pretty awesome chemistry with May and Clarkson though. Some particular favorite moments of mine from the series are when the presenters roll in to a car challenge and Hammond shows up with something entirely unexpected (which is normally followed by hilarious ridicule).

Confused as it's normally May or Clarkson that makes bad choices, breaks down first or a lot, or is ridiculed? Hammond is just filler-vanilla between the other two.
E: Oh, I can think of one. the van challenge when Hammond got the tiny van because it was "mid engined", and he tried a 'Scandinavian flick'. That was good.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 24, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Clarkson thought a lump on his tongue was cancer, right?

Gee, I wonder how that could have happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdI6dKtd34

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first "gaffe" listed on that article is hilarious without any sort of context which they don't give.

quote:

July 2008: Drink-driving
BBC bosses told Clarkson off for supping a gin and tonic while behind the wheel of a pick-up truck

Leaving out the whole "While driving to the north pole in the arctic where the only souls within 100 miles are the camera crew filming him drinking that gin and tonic."

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They literally address it in episode too, they're technically sailing in international waters so drink driving rules don't apply.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah that's one of the all-time coolest top gear moments so the BBC can gently caress riiiiight off if they have issues with it.

Goddamned whiny rear end super-PC dingleberries.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Bigsteve posted:

So what type of program are Wilman, Clarkson, Hammond and May going to do then? The only reason for Wilman to leave is because he and Clarkson have a great idea for a new program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hopterque posted:

They literally address it in episode too, they're technically sailing in international waters so drink driving rules don't apply.

I don't care what kind of message it sends, I loving loved that part forever.