Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I could watch poo poo like this forever and not get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol just noticed those kids just standing off to the side choking on the heat

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

What's up Mississauga? Hurricane damage maybe?

Pretty much all of St. John's looked like that post Hurrican Igor. We lost at least 1/3rd of our traffic lights at major stops. Always wondered if they fell on anyone- that could do some serious damage to a car. Perhaps one of the more unfortunate, albeit entertaining, damage caused was a bunch of cart corrals at the Dominion (Lowlabs subsidiary) flipped over and crushed a bunch of cars, and the smoker's gazebo collapsed too.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I could watch poo poo like this forever and not get bored.

my dad was a firefighter and one time he came home and showed me his helmet, and it was all black and hosed up and the clear visor part was all melted and bubbled it was rad as hell

he said he used too much diesel in the training fire

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Poizen Jam posted:

What's up Mississauga? Hurricane damage maybe?

Pretty much all of St. John's looked like that post Hurrican Igor. We lost at least 1/3rd of our traffic lights at major stops. Always wondered if they fell on anyone- that could do some serious damage to a car. Perhaps one of the more unfortunate, albeit entertaining, damage caused was a bunch of cart corrals at the Dominion (Lowlabs subsidiary) flipped over and crushed a bunch of cars, and the smoker's gazebo collapsed too.

I wish I had some photos from that windstorm that hosed up all the wires and trees, poo poo was bad.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish I had some photos from that windstorm that hosed up all the wires and trees, poo poo was bad.

To prevent that from happening, some places put the wires and trees underground.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Carbon dioxide posted:

To prevent that from happening, some places put the wires and trees underground.

That's fine against wind, but what about backhoe storms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3k3Un9pNk

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
You shouldn't even be digging that close to a pole

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The worst thing about this is that it would take maybe $20 worth of materials to maintain the 2 hour rating. I end up fixing dumb poo poo like that at work even though it's technically not my problem/responsibility because it takes five minutes including walking back to a storage room to get some firestop pillows. I'm preaching to the choir by saying it in this thread but there's absolutely no excuse not to spend a few minutes and a few dollars on materials to not put people's lives at risk if there is a fire. Those are just data cables, but if one worker or contractor gets away with not using fireblock and straining cables like the white ones coming in from the left, chances are other contractors do lovely work on things like electrical and get away with it and make fire a real risk.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Who wants to bet those are PVC?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dpbjinc posted:

Who wants to bet those are PVC?

That would be the cherry on top of this flammable sundae.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

It's not just the data cables, too. It looks like the red MC at the top-left of the sign isn't firestopped either.
What really rumples my ruperts about that is that the cables are all bound with zip ties. Use velcro, scrub! :argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I take it that's too many wires or something?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

well, the thing the wires are going through is designed to not catch fire. the wires, on the other hand,

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

PostNouveau posted:

Not enough wires.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The wires should be confirmed compatible and going through a gland of some sort.

That sort of thing is common enough firewalls are a bit of a sad depressing joke among anybody doing the specifying for a firewall and at a certain point a lot of people just assume someone is going to punch through it without asking anybody what they actually should be doing.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Royal W posted:

rumples my ruperts

haha gently caress yeah

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my dad was a firefighter and one time he came home and showed me his helmet, and it was all black and hosed up and the clear visor part was all melted and bubbled it was rad as hell

he said he used too much diesel in the training fire
I hope this was a long time ago. Melted helmets and shields used to be a sign of badassery but now is a sign of stupidity. You should never be so close or so hot that your PPE starts melting.

Also, using diesel in training burns has been a no-no per NFPA for a long time.

Anyway, glad your Dad ended up ok!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being on Everest when an earthquake hits seems unsafe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

Being on Everest when an earthquake hits seems unsafe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

While climbing the Everest is always risky, this is something they couldn't have possibly prepared for. I think that in that base camp, a few dozen people died. Possibly including the friend that isn't replying near the end of that video. :smith:

Current death count in Nepal is over 2500. There's still thousands of people missing, as areas aren't reachable. On top of that, many people are spending the night outside in heavy rain, because their house collapsed or might collapse because of the bad aftershocks. Sewer systems and plumbing has broken down, the combination of these facts might cause a fast spread of diseases, increasing the number of deaths even further. And of course hospitals, that were also damaged in the quake, can't handle all the wounded.

On top of that, an enormous amount of historical buildings, including a bunch of UNESCO heritage sites, have collapsed and can't ever be restored.

It's all a big horrific drama, I hope those people quickly get the help they need. And, frankly, I don't think that the 'haha they failed at OSHA' thread is the right place for this.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's all a big horrific drama, I hope those people quickly get the help they need. And, frankly, I don't think that the 'haha they failed at OSHA' thread is the right place for this.

I mostly wanted to post the terrifying view of the avalanche coming at the camera, not really in "haha osha" way, but youre probably right :smith:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I thought for a moment that was plain stupid and wasn't an incredibly stupid set-up for self-harm but there it is.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Is this his job?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Is this his job?

Probably not, as much as he'd like it to be. He's the reason "don't try this at home" is mandatory.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

OSHA requires firewall fill percentages less than 75%, the remaining space is to be filled with fire caulk. If the hole is over-filled, the fire caulk can't expand sufficiently to stop a fire.

In practice, there's probably another sprinkler line or a high voltage conduit or a door control box so drilling a second hole above the doorway is next to impossible.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Nieminen! :argh:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Apparently charges were filed on Bumblebee Tuna for pressure cooking an employee two years ago.

"Temperatures reached 270 degrees during a two-hour process to cook and sterilize the tuna. The body of Melena, 62, was found when the oven was opened." Yeesh

http://abc7news.com/news/tuna-company-2-employees-charged-in-death-of-worker-in-oven/684362/

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Apparently charges were filed on Bumblebee Tuna for pressure cooking an employee two years ago.

"Temperatures reached 270 degrees during a two-hour process to cook and sterilize the tuna. The body of Melena, 62, was found when the oven was opened." Yeesh

http://abc7news.com/news/tuna-company-2-employees-charged-in-death-of-worker-in-oven/684362/

Jesus. I don't believe in much, but I do believe that people deserve painless deaths. Fire/extreme heat has to be one of the worst ways to go.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
What seems especially lovely about that is that 270 degrees isn't -that- hot, and it was brought up to temperature gradually. It isn't like those people who fall into a vat of steel or something and go insta-crispy, the tuna oven would take forever to kill you.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
I'm not familiar with mass tuna cooking techniques, but I have to assume that the method of loading six tons of tuna into an oven without realizing someone was in it already may involve the words "crushed to death" at some point in the report.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm not familiar with mass tuna cooking techniques, but I have to assume that the method of loading six tons of tuna into an oven without realizing someone was in it already may involve the words "crushed to death" at some point in the report.

the mass tuna cooking techinque is when ur gf is dopplegangered by north sea fisherman and ends up being steamed for canning

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Well it is called a hard hat, of course it's going to hurt getting whacked by one.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Pinguliten posted:

Well it is called a hard hat, of course it's going to hurt getting whacked by one.
First thing that comes to mind:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bondematt posted:

That is the stuff of nightmares

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Enfys posted:

That is the stuff of nightmares

No kidding. I really hope whoever screwed up gets canned over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

Phanatic posted:

No kidding. I really hope whoever screwed up gets canned over this.
:golfclap:

• Locked thread