Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volume posted:

I have a hard time imagining this considering all the dull grinding I have to do for hexs must be even more frustrating when the enemies are bullet sponges.

If you have to grind that much then you either wasted a whole lot of hexes or you're doing something wrong. The game basically throws them at you and unless you're trying to clear every single Hex it's pretty easy to unlock everything you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Does Tales of Zestiria have a world map or will every game after Vesperia just not be worth playing?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

world maps are over rated

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Does Tales of Zestiria have a world map or will every game after Vesperia just not be worth playing?
kind of.

it isn't fast-travel based like xillia, or a series of interconnected dungeons/cities like graces, but the world map isn't like vesperia's. think of it like a zelda game with a big sprawling overworld that you explore from the same perspective as dungeons and cities.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Do you get a cool Vehicle a la Wild Arms 5? Cause that sounds like Wild Arms 5.

I mourn the loss of maps because it does away with dumb poo poo like DRAGON BLIMP from Vesperia or DRAGON THAT TRANSFORMS INTO A loving JET from Wild Arms 2 and 3.

Also other examples that are not dragons(but i really like flying on dragons.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suppose the core problem is that world maps are seen as lazy these days. I think that's a bit inaccurate but good luck fighting against that tide.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

world maps used to allow for a lot of non linearity and exploration, nowadays almost every jrpg is just a series of straight lines and then you use warps to go back earlier because travelling by foot is now ultra tedious instead of it being "allright now I get to woosh across the world in a minute and listen to a cool flight vehicle exclusive song while I do it.".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

world maps used to allow for a lot of non linearity and exploration,

this is a vast over-exaggeration, most of them time you could go to the place you were meant to go to, or go somewhere else and get roadblocked

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I can't come up with very many games where a world map allowed for non-linearity. There was the second half of FF6 and err...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

I can't come up with very many games where a world map allowed for non-linearity. There was the second half of FF6 and err...

Tales of Symphonia let you do some of the seals out of order in the first disc, although that was more of a branching path affair

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy 12 let you get pretty far. I think there were still some roadblocks here and there but you could wander for a bit before you hit them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Volume posted:

Final Fantasy 12 let you get pretty far. I think there were still some roadblocks here and there but you could wander for a bit before you hit them.

12 didn't have a world map though, it was interconnected zones

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Besides, if you want non-linearity, you don't need a world map that the player can physically navigate to do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volume posted:

Final Fantasy 12 didn't have a world map though. The only FF game to have once since 9 is Type-0 and Type-0's is a good example of a Bad World Map.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quests 3, 6, and 8 had really excellent world maps.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
world maps dont make a game nonlinear but they do make them less tedious so that's a plus imho

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

world maps used to allow for a lot of non linearity and exploration, nowadays almost every jrpg is just a series of straight lines and then you use warps to go back earlier because travelling by foot is now ultra tedious instead of it being "allright now I get to woosh across the world in a minute and listen to a cool flight vehicle exclusive song while I do it.".

They've pretty much always been this though. They just don't mask it with a 'world map'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dragon Quest 8 is hands down the best worldmap. It's visually interesting and all the locations are well rendered. It's also semi-nonlinear. Nothing compared to a western RPG but there are areas and nooks and crannies off the beaten path.

corn in the bible posted:

world maps dont make a game nonlinear but they do make them less tedious so that's a plus imho

This is a weird sentiment. I'll take warping to a location over navigating a boring world map any day.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

the elder scrolls games, I guess. Fallout. a lot of wrpgs probably.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

All three PSX Final Fantasies had some interesting stuff to do with the world maps, including entire zones that were optional which you'd only find by exploring.

I just like world maps, they're really fun when done well and REALLY help give a sense of scale to the world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragon Warrior 7 had an interesting world map, though it was rarely more than a linear sequence of unlocking a new area in the past then seeing how things have gone since.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
My favorite kind of world map is the kind that's literally just dots on a map that get added as they are relevant because making enough content to feel like an entire world is not something a game is ever going to do and that approach leaves the most space to assume a whole bunch of places exist that you just never go to.

Similarly my preferred approach to JRPG towns is the kind where the accessible area is like two screens, just big enough to fit all the stuff you actually need to interact with but there's a shitzillion inaccessible houses stretching off into the background because it doesn't waste my time and also even notably big JRPG towns tend to actually be really tiny when you think about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Which brings us to Fallout 1/2, which had world maps and were non-linear and were more the points-of-interest type. I liked that but I tend to like most world maps, regardless of linearity. It's the same geeky part of me that likes seeing the maps of fantasy worlds in books.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

What precisely is the definition of nonlinear? Is it like Dragon Age Origins where you can do the various Treaty Quests in any order you want? Or is it more like when going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B you screw of and do a bunch of sidequests and other things?

If it's the former I don't think any FF is nonlinear. If it's the latter then I think most of the older games are after you get a vehicle of some sort. See: Wutai in FFVII once you get the Tiny Bronco, getting Odin once the Garden can move, etc..

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like linear games better

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

al-azad posted:

Basically 38 Studios was building an MMO when they acquired Big Huge Games who were working on a single player RPG for THQ. So technically the concept was originally an MMO. How much one bled into the other is up in the air. Big Huge's development was old when 38 bought them and development continued for another 3 years so maybe they built the world around 38's story or modified the story to match Big Huge's world, who knows?

I think the former is a safe assumption considering how large and empty the maps are.

My understanding was that 38 Games was building an MMO, but were hemorrhaging so much money during development that they released Reckoning as a single player RPG to try to recover some of the losses.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

This looks like a good RPG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/342090/

Very good and interesting and well done and

This looks so bizarre I think I'll try it

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

What precisely is the definition of nonlinear? Is it like Dragon Age Origins where you can do the various Treaty Quests in any order you want? Or is it more like when going from Plot Point A to Plot Point B you screw of and do a bunch of sidequests and other things?

If it's the former I don't think any FF is nonlinear. If it's the latter then I think most of the older games are after you get a vehicle of some sort. See: Wutai in FFVII once you get the Tiny Bronco, getting Odin once the Garden can move, etc..

It's probably an impossible question to answer. I mean you could probably argue that FF6 isn't actually non-linear because its endgame is essentially one actual objective and a couple dozen locations with what is essentially optional content -- if optional content creates non-linearity, then virtually no game is actually linear. It's just a judgment call based on the breadth and depth of the (usually optional) extra options that are available to the player at some time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Most games are linear in some fashion, usually in how the primary quest flows. You complete some objectives, some in a specific order, some perhaps not (sort of nonlinear), and eventually you get to some ending. Branching stories are definitely a nonlinear feature and sandboxes are usually nonlinear games by nature.

Optional content is basically more stuff to do outside the primary quest and gives you more to do and in my opinion, can do a lot to make a world feel richer when the main path is pretty straightly drawn. It isn't necessarily a sign of a linear or non-linear game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 24, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Star Ocean 2 did the world map ok, if you count at least six optional locations that you never needed to visit for the main plot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a concept, I like world maps as an abstraction of the world. Like Dragon Quest's worldmap was just as important as the dungeons and towns you visited. Chrono Trigger also provided some visual weight that individual areas couldn't depict. Like the overworld cutscenes with Lavos rising from the ground or Zeal falling were amazing at the time.

But a world map needs to be visually interesting and not a chore to navigate. Like Xenogears is a game with really neat looking areas and one of the blandest loving world maps of that era. And if you ever think about hazard tiles on your world map then gently caress right off.

Codiekitty posted:

My understanding was that 38 Games was building an MMO, but were hemorrhaging so much money during development that they released Reckoning as a single player RPG to try to recover some of the losses.

That may have influenced the decision to go single player but 38 Studios was founded in 2006 and literally spent 3 years with R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane writing this big "10,000 year history" and drawing chunky art that McFarlane is so good at. There was no game, just a studio and a concept. Big Huge Games was getting dropped by the already dying THQ so 38 bought them in 2009. Big Huge had developed an entire engine for a singleplayer game in development almost as long as Amalur's concept so the two studios combined their work: 38 Studios' story with Big Huge's engine. 3 more loving years later and this action-RPG rolls out with levels as big as a WoW map and zero things to do in them but fight monsters.

This is a long rear end article that goes in depth with its pre-production. I don't know how I didn't see all the red flags from the start but Darksiders had a similar development (long development cycle, person unfamiliar with game development helming it) and the first game came out fine at least.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 24, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Codiekitty posted:

Nah, the other guy has the right of it. All of this is pretty public information.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Libluini posted:

This looks so bizarre I think I'll try it

Lemme know how it is then. I want it, but not for $8.50 (or $12.50 for the deluxe version that includes THREE MANGA SAGAS)

Happily awaiting for it to pop up in a bundle in a year and a half. Til then, I've got the laxius series to occupy me

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Going into chapter 8 of Bravely Default: how the hell were the sidequest fights in chapter 7 harder than the goddamn endgame sidequests. I had trouble with two of the Ch7 layouts, and meanwhile here I am in Ch8 stomping everyone first try, despite larger party size. I put one on auto-battle and never looked back.

I regret everything I said here.

The last one on the map, DeRosso and Yulyana was merciless. That was fantastic. And now everyone's in the tower and the pre-fight scenes are absolutely great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of BD, the second just came out yesterday in Japan and I'm hearing a lot of news that basically "It's the same but more, down to the assets". Kinda weird for me because SE went on about how western sales changed their perspective on things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have fond memories of exploring the world maps in FF4 and 9 and poo poo but I don't really mourn their absence since unless you really like chocobo hot and cold it's not like you found anything interesting from all your exploring.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

I have fond memories of exploring the world maps in FF4 and 9 and poo poo but I don't really mourn their absence since unless you really like chocobo hot and cold it's not like you found anything interesting from all your exploring.

Tally up another reason why skies of arcadia is awesome

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Tally up another reason why skies of arcadia is awesome
skies of arcadia's world map was cool because it gave you the most fun and convenient part of a world map (an airship) immediately.

On the other hand some of those discoveries can go gently caress themselves.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

should I still try to play skies of arcadia if I haven't before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's a pretty good game. the plot isn't amazing but it's got an adventure-y charm to it and never really gets buried in melodrama/weird philosophy like a lot of PS1 RPGs. its just some sky pirates on a swashbuckling adventure.

combat can get a little slow sometimes and later on in the game it becomes completely busted from a balance perspective but perhaps the same could be said of all JRPGs.