Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Creep by TLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mine is Amanda, by Boston. I like some of Boston's music but this song is slow and boring.

johnfw50 posted:

Creep by TLC?

Congrats, you've got the best song so far

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGYYDvZnpg

I like it. :)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got Wannabe by the Spice Girls. I'm not sure what to feel. Like I sympathize with the message about relationships being give and take, but I prefer music like Teddyloid, Disturbia and Zeds Dead Eyes on Fire.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
This one is mine. Not even joking.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Mine is Where Do Broken Hearts Go? by Whitney Houston.

Whitney Houston is one of the greatest musical talents in history so I'm pleased by this.

nth Term
Nov 6, 2012
Ugh, I got The Sign by Ace of Base. Still just as annoying as ever.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I can't help but like that song.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Want to know which song you were concieved to?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey Miss Wallace, are we going to see a new Baywatching soon?

Sure thing! Shooting a movie at the moment, but when I get back I'll do a few Baywatching vids.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Miss Wallace posted:

Sure thing! Shooting a movie at the moment, but when I get back I'll do a few Baywatching vids.
I'm just curious how does does this shoot compare to the shoots for the CA movies? Is it more laid back and less stressful? Seems like from Brad's twitter that you guys are having a fun time and was just wondering.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well Watamote was good. I guess the manga is still in the works?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Miss Wallace, what's with all the Irate Gamer jokes that Phelous makes? Is it just because IG is a twat? Recently he started selling cutscene art from his failed Iphone game without consulting the artist who drew them.

EDIT: Also my birth number 1 was some adult contemporary poo poo. I guess at least in America the number one at the time was New Kids on the Block.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson. I can't believe I got a decent song.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Well Watamote was good. I guess the manga is still in the works?
Yup. Its even been licensed, and the seventh volume comes out next month in English.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Black or White by Michael Jackson for me.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. Could have been worse, but dang it, if I had been born a few days earlier, I'd be rocking some Bob "Shakedown" Seger right now.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
"I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Wont Do That)" - Meat Loaf
Could've been a lot worse.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I love this song because it's a window into an alternate universe where the Beatles kept making music into the 1980's.

Like, Paul's solo stuff sounds like Paul. John's solo stuff really sounds like John. But this, this sounds like The Beatles.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I've got "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Richie. I mean, I suppose I could be doing worse, but I can't help but notice that Sledgehammer hit the number one spot only a few months later.

Oh well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

I love this song because it's a window into an alternate universe where the Beatles kept making music into the 1980's.

Like, Paul's solo stuff sounds like Paul. John's solo stuff really sounds like John. But this, this sounds like The Beatles.

I always thought that was Electric Light Orchestra, especially since John Lennon called them "Son of the Beatles".

I like ELO. Listen to them on the bus all the time. No better way to feel good about a crappy day than listening to Mr. Blue Sky.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is was number 1 on the Canadian charts when I was born.

Never heard of the band or this song, I wonder if it's any- :catstare:

I never knew Tu-pac covered a song for his biggest hit I just assumed he wrote it himself

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
17 February 1989 = "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul (USA) and "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart" by Marc Almond & Gene Pitney (UK).

Could have been worse. At least it wasn't Milli Vanilli.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

"There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)" by The Eurythmics.

Not bad at all, really. Stevie Wonder on harmonica! My favourite anything to do with Annie Lennox, pretty much.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I got some song called "Billy Don't Be a Hero" by some band I have never heard of. It was #1 for two weeks. If I had been born a few weeks earlier it would have been Band on the Run.

Though I guess in those waning days of Vietnam War it could have been a pretty resonating song: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Don%27t_Be_a_Hero

But drat this song is.. dated. Some songs are timeless. Other songs are of their time but good if you like the era. This is not one of them. So not one of them. It sounds like a Partridge Family song fer chrissakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqfIKqW2ZPo

But Todd's video was great. 1991 was basically when I decided Top 40 radio could go gently caress itself as my Junior-Senior year of high school had me switch over to Classic Rock radio. For those of you who were too young or not born yet that Bryan Adams song was just everywhere and every damned request hour was OOH THIS SONG TO SO AND SO BECAUSE I DO IT FOR YOU (so and so who are highly unlikely to still be together no matter what age or romantic situation they were in at this time) over and over and over again.

I wasn't a big fan of RnB at all so I pretty much decided Beatles, The Doors, Floyd, Steelie Dan, Hendrix, and other late 60-mid 70's rock acts were much better to listen to while playing my Commodore 64, NES, and Genesis. Its not like top 40 even with Metallica's Black Album got much airtime.

I now have embarassed nostalgia from his video. Jesus. I was playing AD&D Gold Box games, Ultima titles, and Valis 3 while this poo poo was on the airwaves.

vvvv Goddamnit Stealth Archer! I was a freshman in high school when that song was new! It is forever meshed with Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES in my mind! Fuckers making me feel OLD up in here! (I equate Enigma's "Sadeness" with Ultima 6 on the C64, and the Beach Boy's "Kokomo" with Ultima 3 because it may have been Christmas season 1988 where I was playing a 1983 game on a computer from 1982 but I had the machine for less than a year at that point. Christmas would be the Xmas of CRPGs as there really weren't JRPGs at all then that I know of in the US.)

So yeah. I generally don't watch Todd's modern pop music reviews but when he covers old stuff I do for historical or nostalgic reasons.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 24, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

OrangeKing posted:

I got...Betty Davis Eyes, by Kim Carnes. Not a favorite of mine to be sure, but not embarrassing either.

Also:

We were born within a few weeks of each other, then. I got Air Supply’s “The One That You Love,” which sounds like the most generic karaoke track you’ve ever heard.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

We Didn't Start the Motherfucking Fire.

Yep, I'm good with that. :cool:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

poparena posted:

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. Could have been worse, but dang it, if I had been born a few days earlier, I'd be rocking some Bob "Shakedown" Seger right now.
Too bad that the best version of this song never made the charts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGOrm9rzm7A

Beefstew posted:

"I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Wont Do That)" - Meat Loaf
Could've been a lot worse.
You really could have plus you got a song with an awesome Michael Bay music video back

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is was number 1 on the Canadian charts when I was born.

It's still one of my favourites (the original, but Tupac's cover is good too.)

Dammit on the Canadian charts I was a week away from New World Man by Rush (got Abracadabra by Steve Miller)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Phil Collins. Groovy Kind of Love.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

It's still one of my favourites (the original, but Tupac's cover is good too.)

Dammit on the Canadian charts I was a week away from New World Man by Rush (got Abracadabra by Steve Miller)

Tupac didn't cover it - he sampled the piano riff and the chorus for "Changes". I heard "Changes" before I heard "The Way It Is", and I can't seem to help but compare the latter unfavourably to the Tupac track.

I should mention, the re-release of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was number one in the UK when I was born; I think the number one single in America would have been "Black Or White" (but I'm not sure).

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Mine was apparently called "End of the Road"

that's not a good omen

(by Boyz II Men)

Fluffy the Cat
Jun 1, 2000
Another Brick In The Wall, Part II by Pink Floyd. I'm happy with that :)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Mine was apparently called "End of the Road"

that's not a good omen

(by Boyz II Men)

sup boyz II men brother :smith::respek::smith:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Fluffy the Cat posted:

Another Brick In The Wall, Part II by Pink Floyd. I'm happy with that :)
'Sup best-year Brother

e: and best month. I forgot how this worked for a second.

:):hf::)

I am amazed at how fascinating I'm finding Phalous's Bootleg Zone videos.

I happened to click on the galaxy warriors one and now I wish I kept the knockoff/failed toys I had as a kid. The stories and theories behind them are more fascinating than the toys themselves!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 24, 2015

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Just as an aside, this is probably one of the more benign derails we've ever had in this thread.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DoctorWhat posted:

sup boyz II men brother :smith::respek::smith:

Boys II Men rule though, this isn't a bad thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Boys II Men rule though, this isn't a bad thing.

oh poo poo i had them mixed up with someone else

g'doy this owns actually.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk

Conceived to this, baby. :cool:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Todd picking on Hilariously Easy Target Vanilla Ice is always fun. "Ice Ice Baby" isn't good, but it's catchy and at least makes for a decent guilty pleasure. "Ninja Rap" is at least funny because it's a rap about the Ninja Turtles. It's the rest of Ice's work that is the worst: embarassing, forgettable, unlistenable garbage like "Play That Funky Music."

Speaking of easy (and terrible), apparently easy-listening music was just as pervasive in 1991 as it was in 1987.

nth Term posted:

Ugh, I got The Sign by Ace of Base. Still just as annoying as ever.

I was pretty young when this got big. For about ten years, I didn't know the title of the song and thought the chorus was "I saw the sun, it opened up my eyes..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This apparently. And yeah it's about sex basically.

• Locked thread