Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sick trigger posted:

what is going on here? (or can nobody else see this and it's just weirdly specific malware already on my machine?)

It's not just you, the page looks the same for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

photomikey posted:

Reverse the order of operations. Spray it first. Let it die. Pull it up.

I used to be afraid of rain after using RoundUp (or one of the generics that works as good/better), but after witnessing it for years I am now the opposite - Spray the hell out of it with Round Up, wait 6 hrs or overnight or whatever, then give it a nice drink of water to get it growing while the weed killer is fresh in the system. It'll be dead in a few days.

Thanatosian posted:

Try what the other guys suggest, but this stuff is notoriously difficult to eliminate. There are orange-based abrasive/pumice soaps that are really good for getting the oils off of your skin, if you're looking to mitigate. You can get it by the gallon at Costco or Wal-Mart.

Motronic posted:

Ivys are pretty difficult to get rid of.

I use a mixture of about 50% glyphosate and 50% 2,4-D with a liberal amount of dish soap. The dish soap helps to keep it on the waxy leaves long enough to do something.

A great time to spray is early in the day after any dew is gone and leave it on for a nice, sunny afternoon.
These are all great tips, thanks folks.

Captain Bravo posted:

Everyone else has covered the chemical option, but there's also physical barriers you can use to try and contain. These are nuclear options, though, and should be a last resort because they'll also wreck your lawn. You can go with something simple, like mulch or gravel, or just say "gently caress it" and salt the goddamned earth/lay down a tarp/concrete over that poo poo.

I wouldn't recommend any of those, but if you're seriously worried about your kid getting hosed up in poison ivy, they're possibilities. We had a neighbor years ago that poured concrete over his entire front yard to protect his kids. It looks terrible, but it drat sure works.
That's all a little...extreme. If it comes to it I'll just have to watch him more and teach him that poison ivy sucks.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

syscall girl posted:

From what I've heard the way the vitamins get separated from the vegetables is boiling/blanching and then draining the water off.

So if they use the water for packing you should be able to get the nutrition if you use the water.

If you make mac and peas and the water boils off you get the vitamins? If you drain the can, maybe a little less?
All vegetables "lose" vitamins when you cook them. Adding heat to chemical compounds changes their structure or breaks them up. Since canned vegetables are cooked, there you go.

Shockingly, the same thing happens if you cook raw vegetables yourself. So does that mean you're better off eating raw vegetables? They're not bad for you, but some nutrients are more easily digested when they're cooked.

Moral of the story: eat some vegetables. Frozen are probably better and tastier and more versatile than canned, but canned won't kill you.

KoB
May 1, 2009

photomikey posted:

Service via certified mail doesn't count as valid service in all situations. Not that it matters to you.

There's probably nothing illegal about her telling you how much someone owes. If there's a court case about it, it's probably public record.

Thanks, turns out it was the ex-wife and I guess this isnt the first time.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DNova posted:

It's also horribly common in scientific presentations suddenly.

In this talk, I will first give an introduction, then I will discuss the experiment, then I will discuss the results.

In conclusion, in this talk I showed you an introduction, an experiment, and results.

Time filling techniques, I suppose.

I was taught to do three things, in this order, when giving a talk: tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, then tell 'em what you told 'em. Especially at conferences where there are a lot of presentations competing for space in people's memory, the triple repetition might just ensure that your main point sticks around over someone else's.

I've attended talks where there weren't introductions or conclusions and holy hell they were trainwrecks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grundulum posted:

I was taught to do three things, in this order, when giving a talk: tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, then tell 'em what you told 'em. Especially at conferences where there are a lot of presentations competing for space in people's memory, the triple repetition might just ensure that your main point sticks around over someone else's.

I've attended talks where there weren't introductions or conclusions and holy hell they were trainwrecks.
This is true, but you're not supposed to roboticly recite "this is my introduction: <tell them introduction>. This is my body: <body>..." You're supposed to let it flow more naturally than that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanatosian posted:

This is my body: <body>...

Which will be given up for you.
:hist101: </body>

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Grundulum posted:

Yeah, this was the "get these loving ADD high schoolers to follow a formula to create something at least moderately passable in essay format so we can pass school reviews" thing I was taught in grade and high school.

College did away with that formula and taught actual real essay writing techniques, though part of that was just my great professor. I've since disregarded almost all of it anyways because I do web writing for a career and it's completely different.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is it possible to have an external hard drive work as fast as an internal hard drive?

Would a USB 3.0 drive be as fast?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is it possible to have an external hard drive work as fast as an internal hard drive?

Would a USB 3.0 drive be as fast?

Usually not unless you're using eSATA.

Usually there'll be a tiny bit of slowdown, so it wouldn't be ideal for something you need to say run a major program or game off of.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why did melting steel beams suddenly become a meme, did 9/11 happen again while I wasn't looking?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Moon Monster posted:

Why did melting steel beams suddenly become a meme, did 9/11 happen again while I wasn't looking?

Someone started jokingly saying it to make fun of their 9/11 truther acquaintance and it just snowballed from there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What are tenant rights as far as guests? Rent an awesome small place. My ex moved out recently which she noticed and approached me about. It was hard enough moving in as a couple. Pretty much said outright that they can't legally say no but they pretty much reject all couples. Was harder than applying for a job. The landlord seems cool but the building manger is an retired old lady whom I think exaggerates stories based on previous experiences. with nothing better to do than be nosey. Doesn't help that her son lives across from me. Anyways she mentioned not wanting a revolving door of people but the undertone was petty much we don't like guests/randoms here. Was almost threatening. I mean I'm month to month so I guess it doesn't matter eh

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 23, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What are tenant rights as far as guests? Rent an awesome small place. My ex moved out recently which she noticed and approached me about. It was hard enough moving in as a couple. Pretty much said outright that they can't legally say no but they pretty much reject all couples. Was harder than applying for a job. The landlord seems cool but the building manger is an retired old lady whom I think exaggerates stories based on previous experiences. with nothing better to do than be nosey. Doesn't help that her son lives across from me. Anyways she mentioned not wanting a revolving door of people but the undertone was petty much we don't like guests/randoms here. Was almost threatening. I mean I'm month to month so I guess it doesn't matter eh

Do you want to know if you're legally allowed to have guests? I have no idea what's going on in this post.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sick trigger posted:

http://texaswomenshealth.org/ seems like a wholly legitimate government health website, but http://texaswomenshealth.org/uploads/ (exact same domain but maybe don't click that) seems like a great place to load up on malware

what is going on here? (or can nobody else see this and it's just weirdly specific malware already on my machine?)

The website has been compromised and it being used to try and rank for specific good keywords or perhaps a bad Adwords campaign.

If you wanted to be a good net citizen, find the contact link on the homepage and inform them of the problem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron Porkface posted:

Why are there so many islands in the Aegean but so few (none!) in between the Levant and Cyprus?

This wasn't answered and is late as hell so I assume you've already looked into it Baron, but the answer is to do with the incredibly complex structural geology of the Mediterranean region. Basically, the sea-floor spreading at the Mid Atlantic Ridge that separated Africa and South America caused the African continent to rotate counter-clockwise while moving north, which closed the Tethys sea and created a subduction zone underneath where the current Mediterranean is. In very basic terms, a subduction zone will cause limited surface features directly underneath the thrust zone (the Cyprus-Levant corridor, directly north of Benghazi in Libya) and then a few hundred km away from the subduction zone in the direction of subduction you get a complete hot mess due to slab-dehydration volcanism and slab-rollback extension. In our case, this is the Greek Islands (Hellenides) and Corsica/Sicily.

This is a good diagram of what's going on in the Aegean Sea from the past 15-20 million years. Long lines with small lateral lines coming off them are thrust faults, lines with arrows pointing different directions on either side are transform faults.

For other examples of subduction zones, see the trench off the east coast of Japan, which is the actual location of subduction. Then there's nothing much for a few hundred km of shallow ocean, and then you get Japan, which is a volcanic arc that has accreted together onto the Eurasian continent then been calved off by the subducting oceanic crust slab rolling back and causing the opening of the Sea of Japan.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Depends on your lease and if it has language about guests. State laws regarding guests vary. Usually, if a person has been there for more than 30 days, they are legally considered a tenant and you can get evicted if your landlord finds out, unless your lease says otherwise. Who pays the rent and who has keys also matters legally. If you're considering having someone move in to take the place of your ex, be extremely careful, especially since her son has eyes and ears on the place.

My very stupid/small question is about Twitter. I made an account when I was in college, and the email address went out of existence over five years ago. I've had my phone for over three years and have been logged in the entire time, but I can't access Twitter on my computer since I don't remember the email. The settings won't load on my phone for some reason so I can't change the email that way, and Twitter won't allow me to reset the email verification even though my user name and password are correct. Is there anything I can do to change the email?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If I go into the voice command thing on my (Android) phone and say "call Courtney" it phones my sister Courtney. I have my own phone numbers in my contacts as "me" and "my landline", but when I say "call me" or "call my landline" it just Googles those phrases. What's going on there?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Koivunen posted:

My very stupid/small question is about Twitter. I made an account when I was in college, and the email address went out of existence over five years ago. I've had my phone for over three years and have been logged in the entire time, but I can't access Twitter on my computer since I don't remember the email. The settings won't load on my phone for some reason so I can't change the email that way, and Twitter won't allow me to reset the email verification even though my user name and password are correct. Is there anything I can do to change the email?

https://support.twitter.com/ That's where I'd start. See if you can talk with a human in some form or another. If you have the user and password, that should be a good start.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

The inside of my car door is plastic covered in some kind of cloth, and the cloth is falling off and really annoying me. I've been trying to glue it back on with superglue but without much success. I live in south Florida and my car spends most of the day parked in the sun, and it probably gets up to 150 degrees in there. What's a good glue that can withstand that kind of constant heat?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Florida Betty posted:

The inside of my car door is plastic covered in some kind of cloth, and the cloth is falling off and really annoying me. I've been trying to glue it back on with superglue but without much success. I live in south Florida and my car spends most of the day parked in the sun, and it probably gets up to 150 degrees in there. What's a good glue that can withstand that kind of constant heat?

An auto parts store should have a spray adhesive suitable for headliners. Should work for that as well.

edit: Somehting like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/36141670?...8039072&veh=sem

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

An auto parts store should have a spray adhesive suitable for headliners. Should work for that as well.

edit: Somehting like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/36141670?...8039072&veh=sem
This stuff or Polymat 777 will do the job.

Be careful with spray adhesives though. They can be messy and don't leave you a ton of time to work before they set. Also fumes, so do this outside.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This stuff or Polymat 777 will do the job.

Be careful with spray adhesives though. They can be messy and don't leave you a ton of time to work before they set. Also fumes, so do this outside.

Thanks! It actually did not occur to me that an auto parts store might have supplies for gluing auto parts, but I guess I don't have that much common sense.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Florida Betty posted:

Thanks! It actually did not occur to me that an auto parts store might have supplies for gluing auto parts, but I guess I don't have that much common sense.

Also consider getting a windshield screen if you don't have one already. It made a huge difference in the temperature inside my car after being in the sun all day back when I lived in Florida.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Also consider getting a windshield screen if you don't have one already. It made a huge difference in the temperature inside my car after being in the sun all day back when I lived in Florida.

That's one of those things I've been meaning to do ever since I moved down here 16 months ago. Also, take the snow shovel out of my trunk.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've recently started sharing Google Slides things with fellow students, but it seems they don't get edit access when I first send the invite, even though I choose that from the drop-down box. They have to request access again. Why might that be?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I've recently started sharing Google Slides things with fellow students, but it seems they don't get edit access when I first send the invite, even though I choose that from the drop-down box. They have to request access again. Why might that be?

Are you following the steps here?

I've found that sometimes I share things and this happens because there's a contradiction in the advanced section of the share menu. Check to make sure those agree as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tuyop posted:

Are you following the steps here?

I've found that sometimes I share things and this happens because there's a contradiction in the advanced section of the share menu. Check to make sure those agree as well.

As far as I can tell by reading rather than watching the video, yeah. I click "share", type in their email addresses, and choose "can edit". Maybe they're accessing the second time with a non-school email or something and I'm just not noticing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

As far as I can tell by reading rather than watching the video, yeah. I click "share", type in their email addresses, and choose "can edit". Maybe they're accessing the second time with a non-school email or something and I'm just not noticing.

That's another issue that people run into and I hate them for it. If your email forwards the invite to an uninvited email, and they try to use that one to collaborate, it won't work.

You can solve this in the future by using a shareable link instead of the dumb email invite form field.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I'd like to refresh some of my wardrobe, and Kohl's is boring right now. What are some clothing stores/brands where I can find some decent, semi-conservative, casual shirts and denim on roughly the same level as, say, L.L. Bean, Stetson, Banana Republic, etc.?

VVVVVVV 5'6", very thin frame. I usually wear the smallest available sizes of everything.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 24, 2015

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Depends a little on your build but Patagonia has a ton of high quality, comfortable, flattering/attractive casual wear.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Raimundus posted:

I'd like to refresh some of my wardrobe, and Kohl's is boring right now. What are some clothing stores/brands where I can find some decent, semi-conservative, casual shirts and denim on roughly the same level as, say, L.L. Bean, Stetson, Banana Republic, etc.?
Have you considered made to order? There are a lot of places online that will do shirts to measure for very reasonable prices. Personally I've used iTailor and been extremely happy with their shirts. They do jeans as well, which I haven't tried yet.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Have you considered made to order? There are a lot of places online that will do shirts to measure for very reasonable prices. Personally I've used iTailor and been extremely happy with their shirts. They do jeans as well, which I haven't tried yet.

This is cool as hell. I'm surprised it's so cheap!

Welp, they can make me my next pair of jeans. And maybe a tie that actually fits me.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Raimundus posted:

This is cool as hell. I'm surprised it's so cheap!

Welp, they can make me my next pair of jeans. And maybe a tie that actually fits me.
I haven't tried their jeans yet since off the rack Levis fit me pretty well. Let me know how that goes.

Another nice thing is they use DHL for delivery. DHL does crazy poo poo like call you to let you know they're coming and actually get signatures for things that require signatures. They are like some kind of bizarro world UPS that doesn't totally blow rear end.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 24, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I haven't tried their jeans yet since off the rack Levis fit me pretty well. Let me know how that goes.

Another nice thing is they use DHL for delivery. DHL does crazy poo poo like call you to let you know they're coming and actually get signatures for things that require signatures. They are like some kind of bizarro world UPS that doesn't totally blow rear end.

Run by Germans, so it kinda makes sense.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Where can I buy big bags of dried beans?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

At the grocery store.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

DNova posted:

At the grocery store.

which one

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The one you buy groceries from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Frykte posted:

Where can I buy big bags of dried beans?

Frykte posted:

which one

...Roast Beef?