Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

Don't forget Centerpoint Station!
Oops.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Talent isn't inductive of a writers personality whatsoever. Though KJA had really creepy sex poo poo in those Dune novels.
I've never read his Dune stuff. From what I understand Herbert got pretty far up his own rear end towards the end, so if you give Anderson that to work with and he adds his own mediocre spin on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

Christ, lovely writer or not, hosed over Dune or not, dude just seems so much more level headed than Troy Denning and Karen Traviss.

KJA never would've been able to gently caress up the Dune legacy without Brian Herbert approaching him and saying "hey, I have an idea to make millions, I'll tell everyone my dad left a huge amounts of notes for other novels, you write the books with me as a co-author, and we get rich"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Someday I'll make an infographic about ridiculous superweapons. For some reason I thought Anderson was involved with Dark Empire so I was prepared to blame all the silly poo poo in there on him too. With that in mind there's actually more dopey superweapons in Dark Empire than Anderson combined. Two Eclipse Dreadnaughts, World Devastators, and the Galaxy Gun for Dark Empire. KJA has Sun Crusher, Death Star Prototype, and Darksaber. Although I'd give Darksaber more weight for being the dumbest one, and for being in one of the worst books. That leaves Eye of Palpatine off on its lonesome.

KJA edited Dark Empire, didn't he? I think he did, anyway. I'm fairly sure he wrote the last instalment in the series (Empire's End) while Veitch did the first two, at least.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

KJA edited Dark Empire, didn't he? I think he did, anyway. I'm fairly sure he wrote the last instalment in the series (Empire's End) while Veitch did the first two, at least.
I thought he was involved but Wookiepedia says otherwise. Dark Empire was up and running concurrent with the publication of the Thrawn trilogy, before Anderson got his contract. Because it ran at the same time the continuity got kind of hosed up, for instance Dark Empire doesn't use the New Republic, it's still the Rebel Alliance. Whose to say whether any of the series would have been considered canon if Anderson hadn't heavily referenced it in his trilogy. The Jedi Academy Trilogy was released across 1994, Tales of the Jedi started up in October of that year and continued to the end of 1998. Dark Empire II started in December of 1994 and continued into early 1995, Empires End came out in the fall, and Darksaber came out in November.

I think they collaborated to some degree. Which is why Anderson has Ood Bnar turning into a tree, and Veitch has him being resurrected thousands of years later. It's all kind of a tangled up mess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Talent isn't inductive of a writers personality whatsoever. Though KJA had really creepy sex poo poo in those Dune novels.
Considering how Herbert revived the Teg ghola's memories in the sixth book, I'm not sure we can blame KJA for this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Veitch and Anderson co-wrote the first set of TOTJ series, then Anderson wrote the prequels set during the Great Hyperspace War and, later on, Redemption on his own.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Dark Empire is so loving weird and doesn't feel very Star Warsy at all. It has like, a totally different feel and aesthetic. Everything in it is really chaotic and ugly. It almost reminds me of Warhammer 40k.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually quite like Cam Kennedy's art for the most part, but I concur that it's maybe a little bit too 2000 AD for a Star Wars comic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I enjoy it, but it might be because I also love Warhammer and 2000 AD. Which when you think about, explains a lot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The art is cool but the story is something that should have been Infinities and never brought into canon. I wish someone had done a book series treatment of Tales of the Jedi. There's some good stuff in there but they rush around so much that you never really get to know the characters, and then you have stuff like massively important battles going from start to resolved in the space of a couple pages so you don't really feel the impact. The ideal format would be novel length books, maybe with painted color plates like the Dark Forces series had.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kennedy's works really well for the Nar Shaddaa scenes (was this was the first time Nar Shaddaa was portrayed visually in the EU?) because it made it look like a scrap heap overrun by smugglers and rogues, and I think it suited dark, Imperial-occupied, war-torn Coruscant too (like in the bit where Luke goes out and uses the Force to take down an AT-AT singlehanded).

Casimir Radon posted:

I wish someone had done a book series treatment of Tales of the Jedi. There's some good stuff in there but they rush around so much that you never really get to know the characters, and then you have stuff like massively important battles going from start to resolved in the space of a couple pages so you don't really feel the impact.

I'll tell you the one thing that I can't believe the EU never expanded on with regards to TOTJ; in the second or third issue of The Sith War, there's a scene where Exar Kun poisons a bunch of Jedi with the shards of a Sith holocron, brainwashes them to the dark side and sends them out to kill their Jedi masters. We get (I think) a double-page spread of these Dark Jedi going out, killing their masters in various ways, and I believe it's implied to be taking place over a certain stretch of time.

Then, there's a page where one of them is facing off against her master in a lightsabre duel and kills him, but he uses the Force to take her down with him, and then their bodies are discovered by some other Redshirt Jedi.

And that's the end of the subplot! We never learn - anywhere else in the EU - what happened to the other Jedi who Kun had running around the galaxy taking down Jedi masters.

Likewise, given how compressed the storytelling in TOTJ often was, it was a bit hard to credit the idea (developed in KOTOR and elsewhere) that the war between the Republic and Exar Kun was this massive, galaxy-wide, era-defining conflict.

Really, it might be nice if, a few years down the line, Disney or Marvel or whoever revisited the era in some form as a 40-50 issue Legacy style maxi-series.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Really, it might be nice if, a few years down the line, Disney or Marvel or whoever revisited the era in some form as a 40-50 issue Legacy style maxi-series.
The problem I have with comics is that the storytelling does get compressed, and if it's not selling well enough it might very well get cancelled and abandoned. It's a cool story and would be best served by full length novels in my opinion. But adding in full color illustrations would be cool too.

EDIT: Was just thinking about how the Lords of the Sith book that's coming out next week should have been given to Luceno.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 23, 2015

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dark Empire is so loving weird and doesn't feel very Star Warsy at all. It has like, a totally different feel and aesthetic. Everything in it is really chaotic and ugly. It almost reminds me of Warhammer 40k.
While I agree in principle, the World Devastators at least were a really cool concept. Too bad they looked like poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Interesting write up here from Celebration for the Star Wars Story Group (also known as the group handling Star Wars canon moving forward, also known as WHY DO I NOT WORK FOR THEM?!), and there were some good bits like this:

quote:

While the term “Story Group” may make it sound like they are dictating the story, that’s not usually the case. In most cases, authors or filmmakers who are hired to work on Star Wars properties, are given the oppurtunity to come up with their own stories and ideas. While doing that, they work closely with the Story Group to make sure the stories are authentically Star Wars (for example, Darth Vader doesn’t dance or something) and also fit into the larger plan. Hidalgo said they’ve heard pitches from people who have great ideas for characters who are then told, “Come back in six years.” That’s because the story they’re pitching would fit in better with a character at another point in the future.

quote:

Eventually, the panel turned to fan questions, and the fans sure did have some questions. Much of them were centered on Expanded Universe characters they knew and loved as well as The Old Republic. On those topics, the Story Group said that while the Expanded Universe is now Legends and has been wiped clean, they do have plans to reboot or reintroduce characters from that world in the canon. How, when and who was not mentioned, of course. (Screams of “Thrawn!” and “Mara Jade” did ring from the crowd).

As for The Old Republic, the video game set thousands of years before the original films, the basic sentiment at this point is that it’s canon until it isn’t. Meaning, at the moment, they don’t have plans to do stories set in that time period. But they love the story and if and when they decide to make stories in that period, they’d cross that bridge then.

Also how games like the Lego games, while not canon, still need to be approved by the Story Group for "authenticity".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What did I tell you, Thrawn and Mara Jade are going to be in the new continuity. It is not a question of "if", it is a question of "when." They'll probably be reintroduced after Episode VII so they don't contradict anything from between ROTJ and TFA.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

KOTOR 2 movie confirmed.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Bring on the killiks! :getin:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

KOTOR 2 movie confirmed.
Only if we can get Sara Kestelman herself for Kreia. I'm not sure anyone else could sell the role half as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Huh, didn't realize she was an actual actress. I generally don't like the idea of making games into movies but KOTOR 2 has such a great story with such terrible combat and bloated runtime I'd like to see it. Unfortunately there's no way an unfinished game from a decade ago which mostly consists of arguing with an old woman would be made into a Star Wars movie.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Not only is she an actual actress, she played a major character in goon favourite Zardoz!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The idea about "come back in six years when a character will be better developed" is kind of mind boggling to me. I mean, what does that even mean? Like, even just going by the movies, the Star Wars timeline spans like 66 years now. Are we only going to be getting OT-era stories of characters in real time now from ANH on, or what?

Whatever other problems the old EU had, at least they didn't feel this kind of artificial constraint, though I guess with new movies that would be inevitable anyway. Partly this is a problem I have with the Marvel comic movie approach also, where they have all their storylines planned out until 2025 or whatever so they can't deviate from what they have set down in stone, which just seems super limiting to anyone actually having a unique idea come along.

The other problem I have with the story group is, even if I think the concept of it is fine, the fact is that it's staffed with the same continuity and editing people who didn't give a poo poo over the last decade or so of the EU, and I don't really see it as good that they should be trusted to have such a huge say in charting the new continuity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chairman Capone posted:

The idea about "come back in six years when a character will be better developed" is kind of mind boggling to me. I mean, what does that even mean? Like, even just going by the movies, the Star Wars timeline spans like 66 years now. Are we only going to be getting OT-era stories of characters in real time now from ANH on, or what?
Assuming these are present-time issues, it's possible that they have a story draft outline for what will happen in eps 8 and 9. So if, for instance, someone comes up with an idea for Luke founding a new Jedi order heavily inspired by tales of Buddhist missionaries and involving him and an apprentice founding independent monasteries throughout the galaxy, but they know Luke's going to have zero to one apprentice til the end of ep 9, they might say "Bring that idea back after we do episode 9."

Except if they put it like that they're kind of tipping their hand and authors might not keep their mouths shut. So instead, 'six years.'

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Decision by committee is almost never good news.

But given the quality of the prequel movies and the first few years worth of EU books the bar is pretty drat low.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

i81icu812 posted:

Decision by committee is almost never good news.

And yet one of the problems with the prequels was that George made all of the plot decisions by himself and didn't have anyone to say "eeeh, maybe change that bit, that doesn't work".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The main problem I see with it is that they're not likely to tell directors of any of the big movies, "Sorry, you can't do what you have in your script because this 350 page book that came out last year contradicts this bit where Luke falls in love with..." or something like that. They'd never get anyone of note, restricting them to books and comics plot lines. So I'm worried that means the books will be super safe or light on big plot details. The first three books of the new EU have been alright, but they seem very safe. Something as big and galaxy politics changing as the Thrawn trilogy are unlikely to occur in books. The X-Wing series could still be a thing, but not all of it, as part of that series was the retaking of Coruscant. I doubt they'd let that pass in a book, just in case they want to do a movie based on it in the future.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I kinda don't get why they didn't just follow the rule that stuff is canon until something on a screen (either TV or movie) overrules it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

I kinda don't get why they didn't just follow the rule that stuff is canon until something on a screen (either TV or movie) overrules it.

Because that leads to the same fractured tiers of continuity that the old EU had, what with the G, T, C, S, N hierarchy. They seem to be making a concerted effort to have one unified saga this time around. Saying "do whatever you want, it'll just stop counting if Episode VIII or IX contradict it" completely destroys that idea. And what happens if there's a plot point in a novel that gets brought up as a springboard idea in a comic run and then has another novel based on it....and then that original plot point is invalidated by the second Anthologies film? Suddenly two novels and a comic series are rendered non-canon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Once Episode VII comes out, they'll be able to do post ROTJ stuff because it won't be as likely to contradict 8 or 9.

Mara Jade is almost certainly not going to wind up as Luke's wife, but she wasn't really going to be in the first place. They could probably more or less remake the Thrawn trilogy, changing some background information so that it fits better with the prequels.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Once Episode VII comes out, they'll be able to do post ROTJ stuff because it won't be as likely to contradict 8 or 9.

Mara Jade is almost certainly not going to wind up as Luke's wife, but she wasn't really going to be in the first place. They could probably more or less remake the Thrawn trilogy, changing some background information so that it fits better with the prequels.

We trade Joruus C'Boath for the dude with a claymore lightsaber and get to keep Thrawn and Pallaeon.

I'd be just fine with that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe Luuke will get a better name this time around?

Chances are though, It'd be Anakin 2.0 instead.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
"Clones just have extra vowels in their names" is one of the EU's greatest contributions to Star Wars.

They should have kept that for the prequels and had the soldiers in the clone army all have names like Jaango Fett, Jaaaaaaango Fett, J(a*10^10)ngo Fett...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Drone posted:

We trade Joruus C'Boath for the dude with a claymore lightsaber and get to keep Thrawn and Pallaeon.

I'd be just fine with that.

Yeah. Instead of Sparrthi clone chambers or whatever, they might go to Kamino or something and get old school clone troopers, and maybe instead of Joruus C'Boath you might get Quinlan Vos or a clone of Mace Windu or something.

Actually, Thrawn remade with Mace Windu instead of Joruus C'Boath would be really awesome.

Hell, they could even take that idea and it would work well in the current comics. Luke isn't fully trained as a Jedi, isn't confident in his abilities, hasn't met Yoda yet, and seeks out an evil Mace Windu clone.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Honest question, why are the Mortis Clone Wars episodes so hated? I've been working my way through TCW using a list from the Rebels thread and had approached those episodes with dread, only to find a decent three-parter that really reminds me of the old Tales of The Jedi comics.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I remember it (re)started a rather furious debate on the nature of the Force and its sides, like:

Are the light/dark?
- intrinsic aspects?
- sectarian philosophies?
- highly personal mindsets?
- black/white or 1138 shades of gray?
- partial/impartial?
- WTF is balance of the Force anyway?

(it didn't help that it came after NJO, KOTOR2 and around the time of LOTF with their various radically diverging and controversial views on the Force)

Also, some people disliked anthropomorphizing a cosmic energy.

And THEN, we get to things like viewers' opinions on bad dialogue/acting/effects/plot/etc. that are in the eye of the beholder.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought the Mortis thing rubbed people (at least, those like myself) the wrong way because it attempted to do two unnecessary things: 1) insert some cheap fan-service by exposing Anakin to his future actions (which is then all wiped away via memory erasure) and 2) it tried to address the "balance" question and the Chosen One issue raised by the movies.

It's not all bad in that it allowed some interpersonal conflict. In retrospect, it nicely set up a future Ahsoka that had left the Jedi Order. It even brought Liam Neeson back briefly. But you could do all of those things without a journey to a mystical realm that none of them would remember.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually quite like Cam Kennedy's art for the most part, but I concur that it's maybe a little bit too 2000 AD for a Star Wars comic.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I enjoy it, but it might be because I also love Warhammer and 2000 AD. Which when you think about, explains a lot.

*eye begins twitching*
Ok, we're gonna do this again, huh? May I remind you of Bruce Campbell Leia??

Rape face Chewie???

Whatever the holy gently caress is going on with Luke throughout the series????

THE GODDAMNED SPACE SUBMARINE???????

And of course, Emperor Bowie!

Ok, that last one is awesome if only in terms of what a running gag it became.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hey, I like the Space Submarine! It's... kinda silly but fun.

Same goes for Spliffy-P.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Different strokes, I guess. :shrug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rincewind posted:

"Clones just have extra vowels in their names" is one of the EU's greatest contributions to Star Wars.

They should have kept that for the prequels and had the soldiers in the clone army all have names like Jaango Fett, Jaaaaaaango Fett, J(a*10^10)ngo Fett...

Coming soon: Alderaaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Dark Empire has a stupid story but I love it anyway because nothing else looks like it. Campbell-faces aside, it captures the hell out of a universe festering with darkness and corruption. It doesn't suit the story very well, but the story also doesn't suit the story very well, so.