Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

2000 years spent sitting next to an inert box takes a lot out of you.

He has lots of adventures defending the box from bad guys during those 2000 years, soon to be featured in his Big Finish spin-off when they obtain their new license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

He has lots of adventures defending the box from bad guys during those 2000 years, soon to be featured in his Big Finish spin-off when they obtain their new license.

The downside is that his 2000 years were essentially set in what is our normal humdrum alien-free universe, so they'd be straight historicals.

That said, how the hell did pre-20th century sailors in that universe navigate without stars?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

The downside is that his 2000 years were essentially set in what is our normal humdrum alien-free universe, so they'd be straight historicals.

There's always Silurians.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

they'd be straight historicals.

The timeline was all hosed up due to the contracting nature of the "universe", so it would be a straight alt-historical!

The Last Centurion in.... Patton's Last Stand Against the Mongol Hordes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerusalem posted:

The timeline was all hosed up due to the contracting nature of the "universe", so it would be a straight alt-historical!

That sounds more like the time River messed up Time by refusing to kill the (fake) Doctor at the fixed point, so everything was happening all at once.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

"Oi, Genghis! No!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

That sounds more like the time River messed up Time by refusing to kill the (fake) Doctor at the fixed point, so everything was happening all at once.

It's done far more subtly (which applies broadly to season 5 against 6 anyway), but in The Big Bang the museum is filled with exhibits with little signs explaining how they've found things/animals/structures etc in places where they should not be - something like penguins living in a desert etc. The idea was to reinforce the notion that the Earth was falling apart and nothing was making sense anymore (at one point if I recall it cuts from day to night in the blink of an eye - the TARDIS is struggling to hold time and space together in a shell around the earth and things clearly aren't going well), and people were struggling to understand because the world they lived in was still supposed to follow certain rules but it wasn't anymore.

In The Wedding of River Song, that's taken to a more in-your-face extreme with all time happening at once and everybody in the world just kind of rolling with it because it's the only reality they can remember. In season 5, people know the way things are supposed to be, and are trying to understand why they're not that way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They don't remember stars though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dabir posted:

By that point there hadn't been any stars for 2000 years. Probably thought it was just a myth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, they don't know how things are meant to be, it's more that they've been trying to understand the world and it's just not fitting together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

They know what the concept of stars is though, they just don't think they're real, and that Little Amelia's insistence that they are is a sign of a troubled mind. There are a lot of weird contradictions going on in that world, which is only to be expected since time and space is collapsing all around them and everything is compressing together to try and fill up the spaces made by the cracks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

By that point there hadn't been any stars for 2000 years. Probably thought it was just a myth.

1000. There's probably lots of history with stars.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like you've been listening to one of those star cults.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dabir posted:

Wait. So in this world there wasn't any Dancing With?

Tell me more.

I have to admit the one thing I still find a bit weird with the new series is just how intertwined the Doctor becomes in the lives of his companions. Used to be, a companion ended up on the TARDIS, had adventures, and left. Now, the companions are in therapy BEFORE even getting on board!

Also, it's the weekend so you know what that means!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---the-lost-stories-special-offer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing is... it feels more realistic. I mean, entering the TARDIS would be a life-shattering event.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Anything particularly great or noteworthy in series 3 and 4? I feel like I need a Lost Stories palate cleanser after trudging through the mostly pretty bad first series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Forktoss posted:

Anything particularly great or noteworthy in series 3 and 4? I feel like I need a Lost Stories palate cleanser after trudging through the mostly pretty bad first series.

All the Davison ones are great. The First Sontarans and The Guardians of Prophecy are good too. Avoid Power Play. And while the First Doctor ones don't reach the heights of Farewell, Great Macedon, they're not bad either. The Troughton ones are good too (although Lords of the Red Planet is very similar to The First Sontarans, as it turns out both the Sontarans/Ice Warriors were actually genetically created beings. The Mega's not bad, though at six eps it's a bit long.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

There's one big mythological story about 2000 years ago I can think of. Was this an atheist universe?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

poo poo, I thought Pandorica opened happened in 1020, it was 102. Sorry.

Although that said, the TARDIS exploded in 2010 and Rory saw the stars vanish in 102, so I suspect it was like the cracks where the stars never existed except in some vague way that leaked into minds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

There's one big mythological story about 2000 years ago I can think of. Was this an atheist universe?

The Bible also talks about various prophets living for hundreds of years, I assume religious people just figured "the wise men followed a star in the sky" meant,"The wise men followed a light put in the sky for a few nights by God"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Why BF? Why must you tempt us? You know we can't resist.
:negative:

Quick question, what's the quality of the stories like on some of the non-Who series? I was looking at their Sherlock, and Dorian Grey series, and umming-and-ahhing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Quick question, what's the quality of the stories like on some of the non-Who series? I was looking at their Sherlock, and Dorian Grey series, and umming-and-ahhing.

Sherlock Holmes is awesome. Wasn't too thrilled with Dorian Gray. Didn't bother getting series 2.

GET BLAKE'S 7! Seriously, even if you've never seen an episode, GET BLAKE'S 7! The full cast stuff is on par with their Who stuff.

GET BLAKE'S 7!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Davros1 posted:

Sherlock Holmes is awesome. Wasn't too thrilled with Dorian Gray. Didn't bother getting series 2.

GET BLAKE'S 7! Seriously, even if you've never seen an episode, GET BLAKE'S 7! The full cast stuff is on par with their Who stuff.

GET BLAKE'S 7!

Thanks, I'll look into it. Very curious about Blake's 7 - it's one of those things I've heard mentioned alot, but never got round to seeing it...yet.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

poo poo, I thought Pandorica opened happened in 1020, it was 102. Sorry.

Although that said, the TARDIS exploded in 2010 and Rory saw the stars vanish in 102, so I suspect it was like the cracks where the stars never existed except in some vague way that leaked into minds.

Huh. I always figured that the stars still existed prior to the doctor getting locked in the pandorica, which is why there are myths/legends/cults (also psychic universe bleedthrough or whatever), but I guess that does kind of all apart (along with everything else :v:) because of the whole "universe failing across time and space" thing. I'm not really sure how that timeline would work though, I guess if they still have other history from back then that they should have records of the stars from back then.

E: Of course, if they're going out because of actions the doctor never took that involved him travelling into the past before 102 AD, but him making the jump later in his own personal timeline, I suppose that would mean they were always gone.

:psyboom:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 24, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I enjoyed Survivors a good bit and am looking forward to Series 2 and 3 this year. Frankenstein is on my list as well, especially since Arthur Darvill is in it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I enjoyed Survivors a good bit and am looking forward to Series 2 and 3 this year. Frankenstein is on my list as well, especially since Arthur Darvill is in it.

FRANKENSTEIN was really good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah I liked Frankenstein

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just watched the curse of fenric.

wow, i don't know what to say. It didn't make much sense, but it sort of did, kinda. Overall it was pretty bad. Especially the decision to have a vampire/zombie story set only in daylight. Interesting how the doctor saved the day by having his young, female companion loose her faith in him...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what the gently caress is up with your opinions, attitude indicator?

curse of fenric is "perf", as the kids today say.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually think Curse of Fenric is kind of awful. The whole thing with Ace and the Russian soldier falling in love in the most ham-handed way possible is almost unbelievable in how badly it plays on the screen.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

True fact: The Curse of Fenric is the best Doctor Who story that isn't Vengeance on Varos or The Time Meddler.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Curse of Fenric is incredibly good except for the Ace "sexy" scene.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

what the gently caress is up with your opinions, attitude indicator?

well, for starters i watch doctor who, so everything after that get's a bit iffy...

DoctorWhat posted:

curse of fenric is "perf", as the kids today say.

haha, no.

Android Blues posted:

I actually think Curse of Fenric is kind of awful. The whole thing with Ace and the Russian soldier falling in love in the most ham-handed way possible is almost unbelievable in how badly it plays on the screen.

this made no sense at all. Suddenly they are star struck lovers and gazing into each others eyes. why? how? Didn't he point a gun at her on the beach earlier, and that's the only time they interacted?

E: Actually, the whole pacing for this serial was weird. Maybe something got cut.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

huge loving swathes got cut from Fenric, like a whole episode's worth of material. Ghost Light got hit even worse.

And yet they're still fantastic. You just gotta detach yourself and take an abstracted, metaphorical reading, like you do with a lot of Cartmel-era stuff. Understand that there are LAYERS of subtext going on.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've actually never watched the serial version of Fenric, which might colour my opinion. The movie edit is fantastic and adds some cut bits back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

huge loving swathes got cut from Fenric, like a whole episode's worth of material. Ghost Light got hit even worse.

And yet they're still fantastic. You just gotta detach yourself and take an abstracted, metaphorical reading, like you do with a lot of Cartmel-era stuff. Understand that there are LAYERS of subtext going on.

Not having seen this yet myself, I will respond to this regardless-

It doesn't matter how many layers a dud has if it's still a dud. Some people just don't react well to some episodes no matter how much is or is not going on for it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There's basically one bad scene in Fenric, some people think that's enough to ruin it apparently because the only other criticism is "it's a vampire story, in the day time :confused:"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fenric isn't a dud in any case. But it's better on a rewatch, with full attention and a critical eye and behind-the-scenes knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fenric is pretty good most of the time, but then...

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a really good idea!

• Locked thread