Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't really call that "hassles" so much as "alternative ways of getting killed". Making wild guesses on the likelihood of flipping it (on track or otherwise), versus being hit hard from behind during un-helmeted normal driving, and the risk of then hitting the bar, I would still much rather go with the roll bar.

I have never been to a track day with a Miata (since I got it literally a few days ago) so I don't know what they say of one with no roll bar, but on the Nordschleife I have definitely seen them run without. And that did not seem very safe, given how easy it is to have a nasty crash there.

Are there any other troubles I could run into, like getting the top up or down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I get why seat height matters, but what does fixed-back have to do with it? Does the reclining mechanism in an OEM seat fail in a hard crash?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome, this is exactly what I was hoping to see here before my first track day :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Konrad posted:

I get why seat height matters, but what does fixed-back have to do with it? Does the reclining mechanism in an OEM seat fail in a hard crash?

Not much, though the frame of the seat itself is probably much stronger than OEM, but who knows. Alternatively, 2001+ seats are a little taller if you wanted to try that route. For me (6'1"), I would have to bolt a seat to the floor with the rear mounts removed. Ain't worth it for a street car, IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ionn posted:

What are these hassles of which you speak? The roll bars I've been looking at claim full seat movement and I'm not too tall (just under 5'9" and short legs) so I won't have the seat all the way back anyway. I'm considering a "double-hoop" roll bar to avoid having too much stuff in the way when raising the top from inside the car, and also to make it feel less "closed in". How much will the roll bar bug me?

It probably doesn't matter to you, but if you drive with the top down a lot like I do, roll bars make it a pain in the rear end putting the top up or down, especially if you have a two piece. Also the splitting your head like a melon in the event of an accident if you're not wearing a helmet thing.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Dual durometer roll bar padding will mitigate the melon smashing:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2397

Again if it's going to be a street only car don't bother with a roll bar.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Konrad posted:

Fixed back seats are usually higher. I feel comfortable dailying with a rollbar because there is a padded barrier without big gaps I or my head could fit through. If you offered me a thousand dollars to bang my head on the rollbar from a seated position I don't think I could do it.

The stock seats are an issue because in a real crash you're going to be flopping and flying around. All of a sudden it won't matter that you are short when you fly upwards out of the seat secured only by the shoulder belt. That's when your skull hits the roof, the brain hammer behind you, or both. Daily with a rollbar, just make sure to pair it with a seat intended for that kind of setup. Sit way up in your seat and see where your head can go unbelted when choosing where to put it.

As for "all the hassles that come with it" installation is difficult, often it has to be installed oddly to fit or doesn't let you use certain features like door bars. And the main one is they were never designed for years of daily use so holes wear in them quickly you will need to repair somehow

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

In addition, a lot of reclining seats will not fail, but will just flex wildly, placing your previously safely positioned head right into the rollbar. I would try and argue for the safety benefits of the rollbar without other restraint, but when actually thinking about when I rolled and flipped my car I ended up with a 2 month long concussion where I couldn't look at bright lights or computer screens for more than a few minutes. I was actually probably just lucky that I was sucked into my seat from the centripetal force.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Are Elise seats well regarded or does one need to get Sparcos or something similar?

I've been sitting in front of a Hard Dog Sport for over a decade and I'm just getting around to refreshing the car over the last few years. I've auto crossed in the past and will likely do track days in the future, though this is mostly going to be a fun weekend street car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How are so many people finding Elise seats? I thought Elises were pretty low production cars but it's apparently easier to find Elise seats than it is a fender for my Subaru.

Or are they all "Elise style" replicas?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Konrad posted:

Are Elise seats well regarded or does one need to get Sparcos or something similar?

I've never been in sparcos but the elise I sat in was like sitting on two sheets of plywood

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

A friend has a used pair of Elise seats in his basement that he's not using. When I looked at them, they seemed genuine. The labels and part numbers on them checked out. That's the only place I've seen a pair available locally. I sat in them on his floor, as well as in an actual Elise that I made a few autocross runs in, they seemed comfortable enough but I'm not usually that picky about that sort of thing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I sat in these.

which you can see are extremely thin but sitting down in them my friend and I laughed about how there really was no padding on them. Now the lotus was amazing of course, but driving around and hitting bumps on streets, being honest, it was awful for daily driving, and I mean truly awful. Granted however that lotus had a way stiffer suspension than my NC but those seats just did squat to help.

I'd wager the reason you see more elise seats than elises is because so many elise drivers replace them with something better

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 24, 2015

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

That is all.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The Sparco "Sprint V" is pretty much the perfect miata seat. Comfy as gently caress for what it is, and if you can deal with it basically not being reclined at all, offers foolproof rollbar protection. Its what i use on my daily.

(You will not be able to fit door bars)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Bear is driving?!

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

It probably doesn't matter to you, but if you drive with the top down a lot like I do, roll bars make it a pain in the rear end putting the top up or down, especially if you have a two piece.

I would have thought the "double hoop" bar would be less in the way when putting the top up or down as you can grab it and lift it all the way, as opposed to the "full width" bars where there is one length of tubing up top.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A double hoop would probably help a bit more, but if you have a two piece top, zipping the window up or down is still going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

Again, that probably doesn't apply to most people, the head splitting hazard is the most glaring issue with roll bars in street driven Miatas.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leica posted:

Again, that probably doesn't apply to most people, the head splitting hazard is the most glaring issue with roll bars in street driven Miatas.

If I hadn't had padding on my rollbar when I wrecked the '97, I would have had a lot more to worry about than a slight concussion. There was a definite dent in the padding.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Get a whole bunch of extentions and "elbows" (to change the angle of the extention). to get at the bellhousing bolts, of which there are 3 different sizes. You might say this makes accurate torquing difficult, and you're right. The trans can come out with the exhaust installed (drain, disconnect, take off the PPF and driveshaft, turn it vertical and take it out driveshaft-end first. be ready this will spill fluid.)

Good stuff to know, I think I have enough extensions and bits already. How much fluid am I expecting to gush out at me?

Phone posted:

Pull the motor.

(not recommended since you're in Japan and probably don't have the space to do it)

Really I hardly even have the space to drop the transmission. I was thinking about renting a garage space for the day and using all their lovely tools but I can't find anything near me.

Larrymer posted:

I did this job about 3 times, by the 3rd time I could have the trans on the ground in 45 minutes. I pull off the exhaust from the 3 bolt flange on the header back, drop the driveshaft, pull the shifter, then undo the bellhousing and PPF stuff. On mine I didn't remove the PPF since the rear bolts were stuck but you don't need to, just disconnect the trans from it.

It's very easy on this car but get many extensions (like 1-2 feet worth) and u joint extensions. You might need to get somebody to push the motor towards the rear of the car to line the trans back up when it goes in since it will tilt forward without the trans or other stuff attached.

All good stuff. Is there anything else that needs replacing as I go through that isn't in the 3 part kit?

Also, what are the chances this thing is full of asbestos? I'm not sure if the clutch has ever been changed, I bought it as a mystery car.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got that funky noise to reappear twice today, much to my chagrin and satisfaction. Once was in the same place as the previous couple of times and the other was in a shopping center; the similarity is that both maneuvers involve a right turn and an incline, and then braking. At the shopping center the noise appeared right at the top of the inclined driveway, during deceleration; there was no pulsing of the brake pedal. I'll eventually try to get more video up on Youtube.

New wheels will be installed Monday. :dance:

:drat:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

RillAkBea posted:

How much fluid am I expecting to gush out at me?

Everything you dont get out with the normal drain, and than everything that couldnt drain out before you put it in a vertical position (its not much harder to take off the exhaust). Dont put down one drain pan, put down six. Nothing is worse than gear oil.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I just found out that Miatas work pretty good for pulling a tree out of the ground :v:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
More new miata info!

quote:

All 2016 Miatas in the US are equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder that makes 155 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque. With a six-speed manual, the EPA estimates fuel economy of 27 miles per gallon city, 34 mpg highway and 30 mpg combined. Buyers choosing the six-speed automatic, which is a $1,075 option (that you should absolutely not choose), are expected to get 27 mpg city, 36 mpg highway and 30 mpg combined. Compared to the previous-gen model with a six-speed manual, these latest numbers represent a 25-percent improvement in mileage.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/25/2016-mazda-mx5-miata-fuel-mileage/

It still feels odd that it's a lower than the mazda 3 with the same engine and more weight, in fact it's technically lower than the automatic mazda 3 with the 2.5. I'm guessing they've put in a more aggressive mapping for the ecu and maybe also the shorter gearing?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Miata pics on that page has the Brembo/BBS package and it looks freakin sweet.

Also noticed in the pics that Bose did the audio, wtf Mazda :colbert:

God this is gonna be a great car though, too bad I'm gonna have to wait a long time to get one.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The literature has been kind of weird, though. It might not be possible to get an LSD in the Grand Touring trim.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Phone posted:

The literature has been kind of weird, though. It might not be possible to get an LSD in the Grand Touring trim.

Probably not too surprising. The Club (or whatever it was) had it stock but not on the GT unless you ticked the suspension package option. Some cars, like the Genesis coupe, do a similar thing. It would suck though to miss out on creature comforts because you want a LSD.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The first generation i'm forced to buy with power steering. :(

(gently caress comfort, i dont even want a tilt steering wheel)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Longinus00 posted:

More new miata info!

It still feels odd that it's a lower than the mazda 3 with the same engine and more weight, in fact it's technically lower than the automatic mazda 3 with the 2.5. I'm guessing they've put in a more aggressive mapping for the ecu and maybe also the shorter gearing?

This was true with the contemporary BP equipped Protege too.

leica posted:

Why is that a surprise?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a surprise considering how many people rip it out of their cars yet Mazda continues to use it. Just put in something simple that's easy to replace with an aftermarket system if one chooses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

It's a surprise considering how many people rip it out of their cars yet Mazda continues to use it. Just put in something simple that's easy to replace with an aftermarket system if one chooses.

I loving wish. It's integrated into everything in the 6.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Ah well I agree with you there. I looked for a Mazda 3 GT in manual without the "Moon & Tunes" (Moonroof + Bose) package. Couldn't find one. Deal breaker. Well, I don't think I even found one in manual. Oh well. But, they've been doing Bose stuff since at least the FD RX7.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

They've had Bose audio in the Miatas since at least the NC though :confused:

I too wish they'd use someone reputable instead of all-marketing/no-R&D crap like Bose

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure the Mazda/Bose tiein goes back to at least the NBs. And yeah, Bose apparently will license their name out for next to nothing. The Delco/Bose was the bane of many a fourthgen F-body owner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

I too wish they'd use someone reputable instead of all-marketing/no-R&D crap like Bose

Since the NB! And they keep using it even though people hate it but whatever I guess. Mazda probably has a contract with them.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Longinus00 posted:

More new miata info!

It's probably a combination of more aggressive gearing and poorer aerodynamics. My understanding is that top up or down, a convertible is basically a billboard as far as air is concerned.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So we went out and bought one. A 1993. Its a bit of a basket case in various areas, but the drivetrain is sound.

Tiny bit of cancer in the rocker panels, but thats getting wire brushed out and slathered in something until I get around to sand blasting the piss out of the whole car. The hood doesn't exactly sit evenly, but no evidence of any collisions. Also needs a new soft top as I can't see poo poo out of the back.

I'm still enjoying every minute of pop up headlight land.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 26, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PeterWeller posted:

It's probably a combination of more aggressive gearing and poorer aerodynamics. My understanding is that top up or down, a convertible is basically a billboard as far as air is concerned.

RWD is also mechanically less efficient, right? There's certainly some more friction to overcome with a driveshaft.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

The Miata pics on that page has the Brembo/BBS package and it looks freakin sweet.

God this is gonna be a great car though, too bad I'm gonna have to wait a long time to get one.

"...forged BBS wheels and fuckin' Brembos..." :eyepop:

HotCanadianChick posted:

The "Bose" units were made by Panasonic et al., and those like the one in my MSM are especially a pain-in-the-rear end to deal with because they go to a crappy amp and 0.5-ohm speakers, so you couldn't just get away with replacing a single component. That being said, I installed a Grom Bluetooth/Aux module in the stock system and it makes a world of difference. The "Bose" system might not be amazing, but it's perfect for the music I listen to, and it's a big improvement from trying to us a FM modulator or a cassette :rolleyes: adapter. (Seriously, the CD came out in 1982, the MP3 format dates back to 1993, and my 2005 car has a cassette player. The audio cassette was invented in 1962. What in the actual gently caress?! :psyboom:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Twerk from Home posted:

RWD is also mechanically less efficient, right? There's certainly some more friction to overcome with a driveshaft.

The differentials are less efficient, FWD motors already output power in the correct orientation.