Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, Stringer Bell is a Norse god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

I know this one. He's killing homeless people and draining their blood because someone he cared about got an infection during a blood transfusion because of tainted blood.

The only person he cared for that this happened to was infected not by a homeless person but her cousin. (He still banged her and it was after the transfusion)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The only person he cared for that this happened to was infected not by a homeless person but her cousin. (He still banged her and it was after the transfusion)

I was actually describing the pilot of Forever Knight

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I was actually describing the pilot of Forever Knight

Oh I was talking about a way to bring in She Hulk.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh I was talking about a way to bring in She Hulk.

To be fair, that is a loving obscure reference.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, that is a loving obscure reference.

'cause mine was so mainstream...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snak posted:

'cause mine was so mainstream...

Yours was the one I was talking about. Who the gently caress has even ever seen that? Like...five Canadian people who were unemployed during the early 2000s?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I fell in love with the muy guapo Foggy in episode two, when Karen is to afraid to go to sleep so he decides to stay up with her, take her to dive bars and show her the city isn't as dangerous as it looks sometimes. And even though he clearly has a crush on her, is pretty obvious that's not why he's doing this, he's doing it because he loves the city and wants to share it, and is a good friend.

I also thought the way their potential relationship kind of fizzled out and didn't go anywhere was very realistic, and that neither of them needed to explicitly say anything about it to the other.

greatn fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I really, really appreciated the way they avoided all of the standard "lovesick schlub doesn't stand a chance but puts himself out there only to get humiliated to the amusement of us, the audience" bullshit. I liked that almost every character was allowed to have their moments of dignity.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I also thought the way their potential relationship kind of fizzled out and didn't go anywhere was very realistic.
Same deal with Matt and Claire, though their interaction was much more fraught on a number of levels.

This show is very good at realistic romantic or potentially romantic relationships. Even Fisk and Vanessa make a lot of sense in their weird, supervillain-y kinda way.

spite house fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 24, 2015

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Foggy owned bones though
Okay, I finished the season and revised my opinion. I was still pissed off from watching Arrow.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently "too crazy for our street level hero" arguments are something else TMNT inherited from Daredevil. The TMNT online fan community has been bitching about this forever, only with TMNT fighting ninjas in New York is the "street level" part of the argument and the "too crazy" part is all the aliens/time travel/dinosaurs/spiritualism/etc stuff they go into sometimes. So you get to hear lots of repeated battles about how going into space is "too out there" for our team of mutant turtles that know martial arts and they should stay "grounded" by fighting a cheese grater man and his secret army of highly trained crime ninjas.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Same deal with Matt and Claire, though their interaction was much more fraught on a number of levels.

This show is very good at realistic romantic or potentially romantic relationships. Even Fisk and Vanessa make a lot of sense in their weird, supervillain-y kinda way.

I love that Marcy, who is first introduced as a "nightmare ex" is also not as shallow as she appears and just went a different way in life. They still hook up, because despite being really over, they haven't actually moved onto other committed relationships because they are both just trying to keep it together. And now they might get back together. It's really organic.

edit: ^^I loving love TMNT

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wonder if at any point Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway was supposed to feature in Daredevil at all. It's already an established law firm in the MCU (albeit without the Lieber...he's already got enough cameos).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phylodox posted:

Daredevil is basically The Wire if McNulty was a ninja.

In some alternative reality, Michael K. Williams is Luke Cage.

Snak posted:

I love that Marcy, who is first introduced as a "nightmare ex" is also not as shallow as she appears and just went a different way in life. They still hook up, because despite being really over, they haven't actually moved onto other committed relationships because they are both just trying to keep it together. And now they might get back together. It's really organic.

Yeah, I totally bought Foggy and Marcy's relationship. They could've made him a dumb, spineless sidekick who awkwardly fails with women, but instead they gave him real talent and real gravitas. And he takes no bullshit...and more to the point doesn't spare Marcy the same treatment. A lesser show might've paired the maneater ice queen type with the Nice Guy schlub for comedy reasons; instead, they gave us a mutual honesty and admiration between them that felt very realized.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Xealot posted:

She-Hulk becomes Matt Murdock's side-piece.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I really, really appreciated the way they avoided all of the standard "lovesick schlub doesn't stand a chance but puts himself out there only to get humiliated to the amusement of us, the audience" bullshit. I liked that almost every character was allowed to have their moments of dignity.

I thought the TOUCH MY FACE AND PRETEND TO BE MATT part was probably pretty loving humiliating. It wasn't humiliating for our amusement, but it certainly had a few people in our group telling Karen to gently caress off for that part.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

spite house posted:

Fisk and Vanessa were absolutely fantastic. I just hope they'll flesh Vanessa's past out a little bit in the next season, as right now we know basically nothing about her existence outside of their relationship. Was she an innocent person drawn in by Fisk's childish sincerity to the point of excusing his crimes? Or was she a sociopath who saw what Fisk could become if she helped him past his hangups and his conscience? It seems like the show thus far can support either interpretation and maybe others.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I totally bought Foggy and Marcy's relationship. They could've made him a dumb, spineless sidekick who awkwardly fails with women, but instead they gave him real talent and real gravitas. And he takes no bullshit...and more to the point doesn't spare Marcy the same treatment. A lesser show might've paired the maneater ice queen type with the Nice Guy schlub for comedy reasons; instead, they gave us a mutual honesty and admiration between them that felt very realized.

I like that he defended her when Karen was being super judgy. And it honestly felt like he was defending Marcy, rather than defending his previous relationship with her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xealot posted:

He already was in Hulk.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Your avatar made me realize that the real question now becomes: How long do we have to wait after these shows are wildly successful to get the Hawkeye show we all wish we deserved?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

surc posted:

Your avatar made me realize that the real question now becomes: How long do we have to wait after these shows are wildly successful to get the Hawkeye show we all wish we deserved?

When the last issue is released.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Around the midpoint of the season there was a really quick scene with a guy who's back was all scarred up, and his voice sounded a lot like Keith David. He was obviously some sort of mob/gang boss. Who was that guy, is he a known character from the comics? Was that a hint at what might be coming for Season 2?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Edit: ^^^ I think he's just "mysterious head of ninjas" at the moment, I didn't recognize him from anywhere (but sometimes I miss stuff).

bobkatt013 posted:

Is this actually a thing? Don't play with my emotions.:ohdear:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Around the midpoint of the season there was a really quick scene with a guy who's back was all scarred up, and his voice sounded a lot like Keith David. He was obviously some sort of mob/gang boss. Who was that guy, is he a known character from the comics? Was that a hint at what might be coming for Season 2?

Haha what? I don't know who that character is, but Stick was talking to him about Black Sky, right? I'm thinking he's a little more on the mystical-ninja-warlord side of things than what we think of as organized crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I look forward to watching this show in the ruins of neo-Tokyo in 20XX.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

Haha what? I don't know who that character is, but Stick was talking to him about Black Sky, right? I'm thinking he's a little more on the mystical-ninja-warlord side of things than what we think of as organized crime.

It is Stone. He is higher up than Stick in their little ninja group.

I was joking about how the last issue has been delayed so so much. There is already another Hawkeye series running and the old one has not ended yet.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 24, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

It is Stone.

I've heard that in this thread, but I don't know who that is. I generally avoid going on a wiki-rampage about character's i'm not familiar with in new adaptations. That way if they don't do anything really inventive, I still get to learn about the character naturally from the story. Wiki open season on characters I know, like Kingpin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snak posted:

I've heard that in this thread, but I don't know who that is. I generally avoid going on a wiki-rampage about character's i'm not familiar with in new adaptations. That way if they don't do anything really inventive, I still get to learn about the character naturally from the story. Wiki open season on characters I know, like Kingpin.

The way that he is on the show and the comics is he is Stick's higher up in their little group.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The way that he is on the show and the comics is he is Stick's higher up in their little group.

Oh god. "Sticks and Stones" haha. Subtle. No wonder TMNT is the way it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I didn't mean Italian mob or anything specific like that. A ninja clan is still a mob/gang. Organized crime is organized crime.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Snak posted:

Tmnt origin is the same waste that blinded Murdock also leaked into the sewer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snak posted:

There's a third guy called Name but he's pretty bad at fighting and not very strong.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jerusalem posted:

There's a third guy called Name but he's pretty bad at fighting and not very strong.

:negative:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hey, how come we got Turk and no Grotto? ("Shaddup, Grotto") Also, for an instant I thought Turk was Omar from the Wire.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How strong is Bone

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't mean Italian mob or anything specific like that. A ninja clan is still a mob/gang. Organized crime is organized crime.

Just being a ninja clan isn't organized crime, it's more like being a paramilitary kook but with even sillier uniforms.

Stick's ninjas in particular kill bad guys, but so do the Avengers; we don't normally count superhero teams as "organized criminals" for little reasons like that.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

McNerd posted:

Just being a ninja clan isn't organized crime, it's more like being a paramilitary kook but with even sillier uniforms.

Stick's ninjas in particular kill bad guys, but so do the Avengers; we don't normally count superhero teams as "organized criminals" for little reasons like that.

Man, a few rotten ninjas ruin it for the rest! :argh: (I would assume due to the number of ninja attacks which presumably happen on a daily basis in the Marvel U, ninja clans are probably considered gangs from the police perspective, although maybe not in the movie/tv universe yet).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I liked Foggy but I think that one episode that is like 50% Foggy complaining to Matt about his hurt feelings is a bit much. I'm probably just weird though. I mean I also think Karen does some pretty bad poo poo in this series and I liked her. So maybe I'm just a huge pushover.

Snak posted:

There were two shortlived Spiderman villains called Styx and Stone but they were awful and not cool like this duo. So yeah, Marvel pulled the same name gag twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

McNerd posted:

Fisk and Vanessa were absolutely fantastic. I just hope they'll flesh Vanessa's past out a little bit in the next season, as right now we know basically nothing about her existence outside of their relationship. Was she an innocent person drawn in by Fisk's childish sincerity to the point of excusing his crimes? Or was she a sociopath who saw what Fisk could become if she helped him past his hangups and his conscience? It seems like the show thus far can support either interpretation and maybe others.
I've been parsing her as a dedicated, lifelong, very successful opportunist who's tickled to death that her best opportunity came in the form of someone she actually likes and feels tremendous affection for, and I'd also love to see how she got that way.