Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
What if Zach Snyder's "Man of Steel" Was in Color? has gotten a lot of attention in the last few days. Its by a group called VideoLab, which given that this is their only video on YouTube, seems to be a new outfit.
It was number 1 in Australia for my birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Money for nothing- Dire Straits.

I'd say I got a pretty good one.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

If it's any consolation, it inspired an awesome Futurama parody.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

What if Zach Snyder's "Man of Steel" Was in Color? has gotten a lot of attention in the last few days. Its by a group called VideoLab, which given that this is their only video on YouTube, seems to be a new outfit.

That's pretty neat. This kind of stuff, I'd often write off as another "fan enhancement" edit, but it looks like they legitimately uncovered some visually interesting colour choices that were lost in post-production.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
When I was born the #1 hit was Batdance by Prince.

I may have won the biggest disparity between song quality and artist ability award.

I'm gonna go listen to the original concert version of Purple Rain as consolation.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

Can you be a bit more specific? It's kind of hard to judge without a case or two.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
First example that comes to my mind is The Taming of the Shrew and 10 Things I Hate About You (thank you Kyle and Shakespeare Month last year).

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Benny the Snake posted:

Yes, but you will always get idiots who cant/won't separate them.

I wrote a comedy takedown of 'Return to Oz' once upon a time and got myself flooded with 'But in the book..." comments.

I even made a note saying that I was critiquing/making fun of the movie as it stands and got even more people saying "Yeah but you can't do that coz [insert bullshit]".

Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining', the TV series 'The Shining' and Stephen King's book 'The Shining' are all very different and can all be appreciated and critiqued as separate artifacts. As well they should be.

e: misread your comment. No you totally shouldn't base your opinion on Superman on only viewing Man of Steel.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 24, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rebochan posted:

If it's any consolation, it inspired an awesome Futurama parody.

I think that'd be a pretty cool song for Todd to look at on OHW.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

No. Your opinion of the work shouldn't be based on anything but the work itself (unless you're specifically discussing, say, the work in its full cultural context, which is a whole other discussion). If you like an adaptation but not its source, then your problem is viewing the adaptation as something auxiliary to the source, and not a work in its own right which you can have an opinion on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that'd be a pretty cool song for Todd to look at on OHW.

You know, it would be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was number one during Woodstock, but I think it's more of an Altamont song (though obviously not to the same extent as "Gimme Shelter"), maybe even a sort of Larry Norman thing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Benny the Snake posted:

DStecks posted:

No. Your opinion of the work shouldn't be based on anything but the work itself (unless you're specifically discussing, say, the work in its full cultural context, which is a whole other discussion). If you like an adaptation but not its source, then your problem is viewing the adaptation as something auxiliary to the source, and not a work in its own right which you can have an opinion on.

I don't think you can really tell people *what* to focus on when discussing something. I usually do try and research the cultural context for what I do (although if it's a shorter, sillier review I often don't go too into it) - but it's usually just a basic acknowledgment that something was originally a play/novel/graphic novel that I haven't read/seen, and then more detail into the laws/cultural context either at the time it was released, or at the time the work is set in, for period pieces. I've reviewed a couple of film and TV adaptations where I've also read the original book, and talked about how the two compare, but if I haven't - I usually just say "I'm only going off the movie for this one" and, if the adaptation has problems, I mention how those problems might not have been present in the work's original form. No one's complained about it yet. Then again, most of the stuff I review isn't the sort of stuff that attracts rabid fans fussing about original canon.
But yes, while adaptations are often really straightforward attempts to represent the original, in a different format, some of them are completely new things. Like my opinion on Twist doesn't really have much to do with what I might think about the original Dickens, because it isn't trying to be a straightforward Dickens adaptation. So if I were banging my fist on the table and going "This isn't in the book!" I would be completely missing the point.

And in fact, by saying that, I think I basically just said what Dstecks said but in a more long-winded way!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Robert Denby posted:

I do agree, I'm not a fan of super washed out movies. I think their restored color may be a bit too saturated, but I think it makes a better movie visually.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sarcopenia posted:

Oh god. There was this facebook thing going around amongst my friends where you could check which song was the number one hit the day of your birth and Todd's #1 was my loving song. Everyone else I know born that year got some pretty lovely songs too but everyone agreed that mine was the worst :(

Sarcopenia posted:

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Want to know which song you were concieved to?
poo poo, that makes four of us.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
We're all born on August 18th? How long does a song stay number 1 exactly? (I'm assuming a couple of weeks.)

quote:

"It was an enormous chart success internationally, particularly in the United Kingdom, where it spent sixteen consecutive weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart (the longest in British chart history), seven weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, and nine weeks atop the Canadian Singles Chart in Adams's native Canada"
Well, if you're born in 1991 there's a good chance you would have been born in the 2-3 months that single was number 1. What a sad, sad world.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Infamous Sphere posted:

We're all born on August 18th? How long does a song stay number 1 exactly? (I'm assuming a couple of weeks.)

Well, if you're born in 1991 there's a good chance you would have been born in the 2-3 months that single was number 1. What a sad, sad world.

I'm British, so make that 4 months. What the gently caress, chaps?

Talk about being born under a bad sign.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The Flame-Cheap Trick for me. A hair ballad. A poo poo genre for a poo poo poster I suppose.

Not gonna lie, it seems like Linkara is putting some effort into his fanfic/movie. It's amazing what you can do when there are characters that are not just "reviewer in a new hat" and are played by actual other people. It makes this story about a comic reviewer saving the Universe from extradimensional gods with his gun powered by a dead girls soul more authentic, don't you think?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm British, so make that 4 months. What the gently caress, chaps?

Talk about being born under a bad sign.

Then, three years later, Wet Wet Wet's cover of "Love Is All Around" was number one for 15 weeks. The current record in the UK is Frankie Laine's version of "I Believe", which was number one for 18 weeks back in the early 1960s.

In America, the record is held by "One Sweet Day" by Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey, which was also number one for 16 weeks, although in terms of artists who were number one for the most consecutive weeks, it's the Black Eyed Peas, who were number one on the Hot 100 for 26 weeks in 2009, when "Boom Boom Pow" was number one for 12 weeks, and "I Gotta Feeling" followed it for a further 14.

Thanks to the addition of streaming data to the formula used to calculate the charts (both the Hot 100 and, more recently, the UK Top 40), it's likely that longer stays at number one will become commonplace going forward. Most recently, "Uptown Funk" was number one in America for 14 consecutive weeks.

Monster albums are a thing of the past, though. 21 by Adele was an aberration in that regard; Taylor Swift is the only artist who can consistently sell more than two million copies of her albums.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 25, 2015

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Duran Duran's "The Reflex" in the UK.

Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" in the USA.

I suppose it could have been worse. If I was born a day or two later, it would've been Wham! and Lionel Ritchie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SFDebris on Gurren Lagann episode 2

"A gingerbread man made out of racism" made me laugh pretty hard.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jimbot posted:

SFDebris on Gurren Lagann episode 2

"A gingerbread man made out of racism" made me laugh pretty hard.

I can't believe he missed the most significant of Leeron's character traits-that he's voiced by Steve Blum. Talk about an obvious omission!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I was born August 2 so it wouldn't have have been long... Hopefully

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

poparena posted:

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2. Could have been worse, but dang it, if I had been born a few days earlier, I'd be rocking some Bob "Shakedown" Seger right now.

Mine is "Alone" by Heart. If I was born a few days later it would have been "Shakedown" by Bob Seger.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't believe he missed the most significant of Leeron's character traits-that he's voiced by Steve Blum. Talk about an obvious omission!

I doubt he knows who that is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

e X posted:

I doubt he knows who that is.

It was a bait and switch joke.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm just curious how does does this shoot compare to the shoots for the CA movies? Is it more laid back and less stressful? Seems like from Brad's twitter that you guys are having a fun time and was just wondering.

It's so much better than filming the CA movies. There's a lot more care and respect from the people in charge, plus there's someone around to kind of keep everyone on their toes and keep things on schedule. Filming is wrapping up tomorrow and there's been no breakdown moments. Overall it's been a blast.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

It's so much better than filming the CA movies. There's a lot more care and respect from the people in charge, plus there's someone around to kind of keep everyone on their toes and keep things on schedule. Filming is wrapping up tomorrow and there's been no breakdown moments. Overall it's been a blast.

Yeah, doesn't shock me Linkara is WAY more organized than CA Management.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was there any outdoor filming?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

There was not. It's mostly in the studio, but some other stuff as well.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, doesn't shock me Linkara is WAY more organized than CA Management.

I don't know the guy, but I've seen enough of his work to know that Linkara is a perfectionist to the point of obsessiveness. He can be annoying as hell at times, but the guy is consistent as gently caress. He really should have been the one in charge of Channel Awesome.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Testekill posted:

Miss Wallace, what's with all the Irate Gamer jokes that Phelous makes? Is it just because IG is a twat? Recently he started selling cutscene art from his failed Iphone game without consulting the artist who drew them.

The Irate Gamer is still around? :psyduck:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benne posted:

Somehow.

I used to watch his videos, because he was accidentally a decent parody of internet reviewers.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
New episode - the first of a four part series on the not particularly well known but secretly influential Dirk Bogarde (you might know him from whenever the Cinema Snob mentions The Night Porter. Which he might have only done once as far as I know.)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I'll see that and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PnboqFwiI

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

New episode - the first of a four part series on the not particularly well known but secretly influential Dirk Bogarde (you might know him from whenever the Cinema Snob mentions The Night Porter. Which he might have only done once as far as I know.)

I am very much on board for this. I find the stories of closeted actors interesting and can never keep track of them all. Case in point, had no idea Raymond Burr was gay until his picture popped up in the video. I might have the track down The Singer Not the Song.

*gunshot* GAY!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Benne posted:

Missed the IG question before. Yeah we just think he's funny. Also he's said some awful things so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

poparena posted:

I am very much on board for this. I find the stories of closeted actors interesting and can never keep track of them all. Case in point, had no idea Raymond Burr was gay until his picture popped up in the video. I might have the track down The Singer Not the Song.

*gunshot* GAY!

Yeah, a good deal of actors were actually closeted LGBT people - when you're looking up stars in old hollywood, it's almost every second person - and there's also a few who are *rumoured* (I'm not sure one way or the other with Cary Grant, not that it matters.) I think there's two reasons why LGBT people tend to be strongly represented in the creative arts. One, is that being forced to have a different view from the norm can make you a more creative person (not necessarily, I've met more than my fair share of aggressively unimaginative queer people, but you're more likely to have your perceptions challenged by being LGBT than by being straight.) Another, is that those creative fields tend to be a little more accepting of difference, thus meaning that LGBT people historically felt more confident in expressing themselves when they were in a creative field than when they were politicians or in the public service or whatever else (again, not necessarily.)

I'm not sure I'd recommend watching TSNTS, but it has a much better balance between camp and not camp than Modesty Blaise, which is just all camp. You can't have something be 100% camp, or you'll die of exhaustion when watching it. This could be just me though - I'm slightly allergic to camp. I couldn't bring myself to watch The Birdcage, had to turn it off after 9 minutes.

But yes, in the next few reviews there's some really interesting movies coming up which I've been dying to talk about.

Infamous Sphere fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2015

• Locked thread