Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Ola posted:

Probably just some plastic that's rubbing/vibrating in the bodywork or console. I'd still want to get it fixed, new bike and all. Not sure how they do warranty fixes for those, particularly if it's coming from the speedo. The last solution:

Those have not been properly inserted. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm really conflicted on the whole earplug thing. I mean, sure it would be nicer to not have all that wind noise, but then I wouldn't be able to hear things go wrong with the bike at lower speeds or hear that car out of nowhere.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm really conflicted on the whole earplug thing. I mean, sure it would be nicer to not have all that wind noise, but then I wouldn't be able to hear things go wrong with the bike at lower speeds or hear that car out of nowhere.

You're not going to hear the car out of nowhere before it hits you. Pay more attention and keep your head on a swivel.

If things are going wrong at low speeds then just ride it up and down your street/driveway and get the thing fixed first, before taking it on real roads. If things aren't actively going wrong all the time then the bike is probably fine and you're being a bit paranoid.

Get some earplugs, try riding with them. Maybe you won't like it at first, but if you plan to ride indefinitely your ears will thank you for it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With how much ticking and clacking I hear from the engine through my spine with earplugs in, I'm pretty sure I'll know if something is amiss with the bike.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I use noise-cancelling earbuds, and I can still hear things going wrong with my bike. And sirens, and people talking. It's not that earplugs are going to completely deaden you, they're just going to kind of take the edge off. Like a shot of nitrous right before dental surgery.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You also won't be able to hear any of those things on or off the bike when you go deaf/get tinnitus from riding without earpro. :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
My dad gave me his old Suzuki DR200. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was about 12, what's the best way to get back into it? I plan on getting fitted for a helmet today or tomorrow. But do I need to get like a jacket and spine protector and all that poo poo as well?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MustardFacial posted:

My dad gave me his old Suzuki DR200. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was about 12, what's the best way to get back into it? I plan on getting fitted for a helmet today or tomorrow. But do I need to get like a jacket and spine protector and all that poo poo as well?

Haul it to the trails and crash it repeatedly. That's the most fun way to get back into it, at least, on a DR200.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm really conflicted on the whole earplug thing.
Don't be. Wear earplugs. There is no debate to be had about this.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
anyone know a way to check the warranty status of a Honda motorcycle save going to a honda dealer?

(no, nothing's wrong, I'm just curious. Might extend the warranty if there's still some left on mine)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
They make these things called phones, people used to use them to speak to each other instead of text.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

n8r posted:

They make these things called phones, people used to use them to speak to each other instead of text.

Thank you for your very helpful response.

It's tough for me to hear on a phone unless its VOIP all the way through, especially if the other party is on a cellphone or a crappy old phone.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 23, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The best part of wearing earplugs is that you don't hear the funny noises coming from your engine, so you don't have to be paranoid about them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What Rev said. The ride is way more enjoyable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

The best part of wearing earplugs is that you don't hear the funny noises coming from your engine, so you don't have to be paranoid about them.

Yes, this was my point. Buzzing noises can be difficult to fix on new bikes because the supplier won't replace the part and the dealer won't get paid to modify it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Huh, maybe I'll give it a shot, then. I started wearing earplugs with the band about a year ago because I already have tinnitus, so I have some nice ones. I'll try it tomorrow.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Mechanic took the bike into the service area, tightened everything, and can't find anything wrong. It still buzzes when it moves. So it's probably some plastic vibrating. At least it's nothing dangerous but it does take the shine off having a new bike somewhat. First world problems right here!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

clutchpuck posted:

Haul it to the trails and crash it repeatedly. That's the most fun way to get back into it, at least, on a DR200.

So basically, "ride it around"

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
If you have a local area where you're not going to have to worry about dodging other people (in vehicles, walking, whatever), I'd start there. Just get familiar with the bike, get comfortable, and then get more adventurous. But if you haven't ridden in a long time, and the bike is new to you, just take it easy and get used to it for a few days or a week or whatever before you decide to ride to Yellowstone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MustardFacial posted:

So basically, "ride it around"

that and "off the highway".

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

de la peche posted:

Mechanic took the bike into the service area, tightened everything, and can't find anything wrong. It still buzzes when it moves. So it's probably some plastic vibrating. At least it's nothing dangerous but it does take the shine off having a new bike somewhat. First world problems right here!

Must...resist...impulse...to quote myself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

de la peche posted:

It isn't your keychain is it?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Must...resist...impulse...to quote myself.

Yeah, you were right! I did do a walk around, couldn't find anything.

clutchpuck posted:

It isn't your keychain is it?

No, I took everything off the keychain before I rode to the shop, just in case it was that. I'll find what it is eventually.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

de la peche posted:

No, I took everything off the keychain before I rode to the shop, just in case it was that. I'll find what it is eventually.

Random cable slapping a plastic bit somewhere? Brake or clutch lever vibrating?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kenny powerzzz posted:

Kickstand or center stand.

You might be on to something there, it's in the right area. Doesn't feel particularly slack but I'll pinch the bolts up and see if it goes away.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So how important is checking fasteners on my new 300 for its first service? I have to basically pull all the fairings off the bike to check stuff like engine mounts. Would the dealership even bother?

I've got almost the full service done, but I'm still unsure about pulling all the plastics.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Huh, maybe I'll give it a shot, then. I started wearing earplugs with the band about a year ago because I already have tinnitus, so I have some nice ones. I'll try it tomorrow.

Earplug riding was good. Will ride with earplugs again.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

de la peche posted:

had a strange similar issue with my GS500. I'd hear a random crazy rattle whenever i hit a bump. I was convinced it was my gauge cluster, even though i redid it, and it was all snug and tight.

Ended up being the front fender having bolts that walked themselves out. Bolts I'd never even had thought to check at all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there no longer a camera/video thread?

Anyways thinking about a gopro for my drz400. Hero 4 silver then? Best place to mount?

Also would entertain poorman gopro options. Would like a Lcd backing though. Never used any of this poo poo so I'm a complete newb

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Also would entertain poorman gopro options. Would like a Lcd backing though. Never used any of this poo poo so I'm a complete newb
Contour Roam 2 or 3 is said to be good if you can live without 60 fps. No LCD though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah seems like they'd be best for pure motorcycle use and mounting it on my bars. Like the shape, too. I'm not going to be doing any EXTREME SPORTS anytime soon so maybe I'll go that route

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I just picked up a Hero 4 Silver, mount it on the front of my helmet. Works well. Cost me $500AUD. Touch LCD on the back is super.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A gopro on the helmet is just too ridiculous for me though. Like the guy In here that mounted it on his chin area. A contour maybe.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's ridiculous about gopros on helmets? A bunch of us have them on our chin bars.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why the chin bar, versus a side or top mount?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'll go with "looks less nerdy from most angles".

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

I'll go with "looks less nerdy from most angles".

The chin bar looks less nerdy than a side mount? Hmm, OK.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

The side mount looks less nerdy than a chin bar? Hmm, OK.

Jokes aside though, chin bar is closest to POV video that you can get. I hate having part of my own helmet in the video.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

At least we can agree that any helmet cam screams "I have a Youtube account and I know how to use it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also no noticeable wind drag when it's on the chin bar.

Then again if you care that much about how you look like to random people on the road I don't know what to tell ya since that's the last thing on my mind. With my white helmet and red leathers and black gloves on a yellow bike.