Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blowdryer posted:

It needs to be explicit in some way. If firms behave in ways beneficial to each other without saying they want to, it is legal. Firms can get other firms to do so by 'signaling'.
Right, so my question is, how would market sharing/price fixing agreements ever be subject to the law then? Surely they wouldn't sit in a room together and write down "okay you guys get Chicago and we get New York", but the government would have to find evidence like that to make a case?

Hell, if I remember right they basically admitted it during their argument in favor of the merger anyway, saying they already don't compete with each other in local markets so merging wouldn't really be that much of a change.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

Like the one time putting a businessman in charge of regulation works, he got screwed and wants to unfuck it for everyone else.

I feel this is actually an important lesson for future generations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, so my question is, how would market sharing/price fixing agreements ever be subject to the law then? Surely they wouldn't sit in a room together and write down "okay you guys get Chicago and we get New York", but the government would have to find evidence like that to make a case?

Hell, if I remember right they basically admitted it during their argument in favor of the merger anyway, saying they already don't compete with each other in local markets so merging wouldn't really be that much of a change.

Well of course that poo poo IS said in a room together most likely (at industry summits/events, the cable industry is very tight) but just don't write it down yourself or get recorded saying it and you've got plausible deniability.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think noncoordinated cooperation is as difficult as you think, especially with so few actors in the market.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

If that's the standard of evidence for an antitrust case, how do antitrust cases ever happen? Isn't there an equivalent of the RICO law for antitrust?

I've done antitrust work in other areas totally unrelated to cable, but the short answer is that everything in an antitrust case is incredibly difficult to prove, especially damages, and the system is rigged to make it as difficult as possible for the plaintiffs to actually accomplish anything.

Like, for example, did you know that as a consumer, you have no legal right to actually bring an antitrust lawsuit against a company who's monopoly is screwing you over?

http://www.robinskaplan.com/resources/articles/ninth-circuit-clarifies-scope-of-the-direct-purchaser-rule-in-federal-antitrust-claims

The long and short of that ruling is that, for a consumer good, only direct purchasers (the stores that sell products to you) can sue for antitrust violations -- the actual consumer can not. Why is this bad? Because direct purchasers can almost never prove damages -- they still sell products and make a profit, no matter what the price is. They can try to argue that more people would buy the product if it was cheaper, but legally that's incredibly difficult to do and most stores aren't going to want to make that argument anyway because they have an incentive to not charge rock-bottom prices for things.

It also means that if they DO succeed in an antitrust lawsuit, all of the judgment just goes straight into corporate pockets and the consumers don't see a cent. Almost always, everyone involved in an antitrust case is an enormous corporate entity, and the only time an antitrust case even gets filed is if a company thinks they can score a massive multi-billion dollar judgement that goes straight to their profits. There is zero incentive to do so otherwise, and consumer concerns are basically a non-factor in determining if an antitrust lawsuit is ever brought in the first place.

Why are corporations the ones filing the lawsuit in the first place? Because the courts decided a long time ago that instead of burdening the government with enforcement, we should rely on private corporations to act as Private Attorneys General in bringing these cases. (I don't have a direct cite for this on hand at the moment, but just googling "Private Attorneys General" will return a lot of material on the concept.)

Our legal system has a lot of problems, but antitrust law in particular is egregiously, egregiously broken.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 24, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think noncoordinated cooperation is as difficult as you think, especially with so few actors in the market.
Huh? No, I'm saying the opposite, that it sounds ridiculously easy to fix markets like that without any explicit planning that would become evidence for a government case. It makes me wonder how cases like this ever happen, but Wikipedia lists lots of them.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

We can now make hologram Congressmen and the first person they tried it out on was Blake Farenthold :negative:

I had no idea we had elected a giant baby congressman.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh? No, I'm saying the opposite, that it sounds ridiculously easy to fix markets like that without any explicit planning that would become evidence for a government case. It makes me wonder how cases like this ever happen, but Wikipedia lists lots of them.

Email is an amazingly useful tool for an investigation. People never seem to realize electronic communication is forever, and even if they keep the actual criminal discussions on the phone and off the record, they then refer to them in an email or the like. Or hell, a whistleblower comes forward because he got fired/got pissed off/saw that sweet whistleblower reward and can testify where the bodies are buried.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Benghazi is in Africa!

I would love to see polling data to see how many people actually know this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

evilweasel posted:

Email is an amazingly useful tool for an investigation. People never seem to realize electronic communication is forever, and even if they keep the actual criminal discussions on the phone and off the record, they then refer to them in an email or the like. Or hell, a whistleblower comes forward because he got fired/got pissed off/saw that sweet whistleblower reward and can testify where the bodies are buried.
If electronic communication is forever, then why Hillary's emails?? :argh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JT Jag posted:

If electronic communication is forever, then why Hillary's emails?? :argh:

For that exact reason, so she could make sure nobody else had the server and access to everything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No you shut the gently caress up dad of the day, "They're automatically very very bad people, and nobody knows the circumstances—but anyway, being an American citizen means nothing in this day and age of no law and order. So they were literally assassinated. This was a targeted assassination of two Americans because they were doing something that we didn't want them to do. I think this is very dangerous." ~ Ron Paul on the two US citizens who were members of al-Qaeda killed in a recent drone strike.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

No you shut the gently caress up dad of the day, "They're automatically very very bad people, and nobody knows the circumstances—but anyway, being an American citizen means nothing in this day and age of no law and order. So they were literally assassinated. This was a targeted assassination of two Americans because they were doing something that we didn't want them to do. I think this is very dangerous." ~ Ron Paul on the two US citizens who were members of al-Qaeda killed in a recent drone strike.

At least they weren't robbing a liquor store.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

We can now make hologram Congressmen and the first person they tried it out on was Blake Farenthold :negative:

Almost didn't recognize him out of pajamas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I had no idea we had elected a giant baby congressman.

whoops DP

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ErIog posted:

Could the Terry McAuliffe thing be an early hint about who might be her VP?

Terry ain't giving up the rest of his governor term to go be VP. For one thing having a democratic governor in Virginia is important, for another thing it would disrupt his fundraising stuff.

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do TW and Comcast operate legally even NOW, deliberately choosing cities so they don't need to compete with each other like they do?

Only RCN ever tries to compete with anyone else, and they only deign to do it in very high population areas where they stand the greatest chance of profit.

Because running your own cable network is complicated and relatively costly to build up in the first place, so why would you try to muscle in when you don't absolutely have to?

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is why ATT invested so heavily in DSL upgrades....oh wait.

DSL "upgrade" are effectively impossible. It simply can't compete with actual modern technology, the kind of DSL you'd be likely to have. Fast "DSL" usually invovles completely throwing the standard DSL model (DSL termination in the central office with the line running all the way out to customer) away in favor of running DSL over a few dozen yards to the house from the street.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dude, all they have to do is say that they'd need to spend a couple billion to build a cable network in another city, and oh by the way someone's already there. If you opposing company is already there, you will not bother unless you have a very particular reason to bother, or unless you're one of the few specialized ISPs that has no free-and-clear territory of their own.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Radbot posted:

but the Charter/Brighthouse deal is also dead,

Source? I hadn't heard anything about that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

Can't wait until we elect congresswoman Hatsune Miku.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can't wait until we elect congresswoman Hatsune Miku.

"Senpai, we must eliminate the welfare parasites so I can become your waifu!"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

We could have made Vulcan Love Slave 2 but chose this. Our nation has failed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html

Hillary played a part in Russian expansionism.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ballz posted:

Source? I hadn't heard anything about that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/business/media/comcast-time-warner-cable-deal.html?_r=0

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Thanks for that. Sounds like that Charter would've gotten some Comcast properties in the Comcast-TW aftermath.

Of course, that alone doesn't mean the deal is dead. In fact, I just saw a breaker from WSJ saying Charter is now going to try and grab Time Warner.

Edit: http://www.wsj.com/articles/charter-looks-at-possible-time-warner-cable-bid-1429899503

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's more of the Clinton Cash "reporting." Also as that article points out, there's not any evidence linking the donation to the Clinton Foundation to the nuclear deal.

Also the fact that:

quote:

the deal had to be approved by a committee composed of representatives from a number of United States government agencies. Among the agencies that eventually signed off was the State Department, then headed by Mr. Clinton’s wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Is a big sign that this is more anti-Clinton BS.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ballz posted:

Thanks for that. Sounds like that Charter would've gotten some Comcast properties in the Comcast-TW aftermath.

Of course, that alone doesn't mean the deal is dead. In fact, I just saw a breaker from WSJ saying Charter is now going to try and grab Time Warner.

All the deals have fallen through, and Obama is sick of their poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonsense posted:

All the deals have fallen through, and Obama is sick of their poo poo.

Yeah, actually enforcing antitrust laws has been a big thing for the administration and there's no reason to think they'd suddenly stop.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I am also interested in their Hollywood Hitler game

Edit:

*wink*

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I can't believe I scrolled through that entire article.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, actually enforcing antitrust laws has been a big thing for the administration and there's no reason to think they'd suddenly stop.

How do any of these deals violate antitrust laws?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

quote:

The New York Times’s examination of the Uranium One deal is based on dozens of interviews, as well as a review of public records and securities filings in Canada, Russia and the United States. Some of the connections between Uranium One and the Clinton Foundation were unearthed by Peter Schweizer, a former fellow at the right-leaning Hoover Institution and author of the forthcoming book “Clinton Cash.” Mr. Schweizer provided a preview of material in the book to The Times, which scrutinized his information and built upon it with its own reporting.

Whether the donations played any role in the approval of the uranium deal is unknown.
But the episode underscores the special ethical challenges presented by the Clinton Foundation, headed by a former president who relied heavily on foreign cash to accumulate $250 million in assets even as his wife helped steer American foreign policy as secretary of state, presiding over decisions with the potential to benefit the foundation’s donors.

No, she didn't

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

How do any of these deals violate antitrust laws?

Blocking a merger that would result in an entity that has too much market power is sort of the definition of antitrust laws, which were enacted to stop the trend of buying yourself a monopoly by absorbing your competitors.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

No, she didn't

The NYT has become a red state subsidized by left wingers.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The NYT has become a red state subsidized by left wingers.

No, this is just the 90s all over again. No need to investigate, verify, or fact check, just take rumor, innuendo, and accusations from nakedly partisan attack sources and run it as uncritical fact.

Or to sum it up...

quote:

So there’s a lot of buzz about alleged scandals involving the Clinton Foundation. Maybe there’s something to it. But you have to wonder: is this just the return of “Clinton rules”?

If you are old enough to remember the 1990s, you remember the endless parade of alleged scandals, Whitewater above all — all of them fomented by right-wing operatives, all eagerly hyped by mainstream news outlets, none of which actually turned out to involve wrongdoing. The usual rules didn’t seem to apply; instead it was Clinton rules, under which innuendo and guilt by association were considered perfectly OK, in which the initial suggestion of lawbreaking received front-page headlines and the subsequent discovery that there was nothing there was buried in the back pages if it was reported at all.

Some of the same phenomenon resurfaced during the 2008 primary.

So, is this time different? First indications are not encouraging; it’s already apparent that the author of the anti-Clinton book that’s driving the latest stuff is a real piece of work.

Again, maybe there’s something there. But given the history here, we’d all be well advised to follow our own Clinton rules, and be highly suspicious of any reports of supposed scandals unless there’s hard proof rather than mere innuendo.

Oh, and the news media should probably be aware that this isn’t 1994: there’s a much more effective progressive infrastructure now, much more scrutiny of reporting, and the kinds of malpractice that went unsanctioned 20 years ago can land you in big trouble now.

It's really hard to convey the level of bullshit that was slung around then to anyone who wasn't alive, old enough, and actively paying attention. You are rolling your eyes at Benghazi? At least Benghazi is a real place where something actually happened. That's a huge step up from the usual Clinton crap. And we are now looking at another 9 years of this poo poo.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good thing the NSA has a classified and unaudited budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgEI4Ldo1i4

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

No, this is just the 90s all over again. No need to investigate, verify, or fact check, just take rumor, innuendo, and accusations from nakedly partisan attack sources and run it as uncritical fact.

Or to sum it up...

It's really hard to convey the level of bullshit that was slung around then to anyone who wasn't alive, old enough, and actively paying attention. You are rolling your eyes at Benghazi? At least Benghazi is a real place where something actually happened. That's a huge step up from the usual Clinton crap. And we are now looking at another 9 years of this poo poo.

The louder and more tone-deaf the screeching, the more people they will drive away by revealing their insanity. Bring it on, I say :getin:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

evilweasel posted:

Blocking a merger that would result in an entity that has too much market power is sort of the definition of antitrust laws, which were enacted to stop the trend of buying yourself a monopoly by absorbing your competitors.

Except, of course, for the fact that none of these companies were competitors, nor have they ever been to my knowledge.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

Except, of course, for the fact that none of these companies were competitors, nor have they ever been to my knowledge.

Aside from that being nonsense peddled by Comcast/TWC, I didn't say competitors I said market power.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

evilweasel posted:

Aside from that being nonsense peddled by Comcast/TWC, I didn't say competitors I said market power.

Let's say I'm a residential customer who is only served by my telco and Comcast. Let's say Comcast buys TWC. How has their new market power influenced the situation of the consumer in this hypothetical?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

The louder and more tone-deaf the screeching, the more people they will drive away by revealing their insanity. Bring it on, I say :getin:

Ah yes, which is why Al Gore became president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Gotta load test it first.

• Locked thread