Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
AFAIK, you can scrub samples, and I think slices, but there's no interpolation it wouldn't work as a fake transwave synth. Haven't spent much facetime with one though. It doesn't look like much of a trick on paper but there really aren't many things that do it in hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm designing a modular sequencer architecture for the Patchblocks, and I need a really good sequence "modulator" idea.

If you were able to modify a sequencer's state data programatically, what would be a useful application? The only thing I can think of is to advance or retard the step number to produce note repeats or polyrhythms. Or scramble a track's order to randomize the sequence. Or transpose a note track.

There's gotta be something much cooler than those things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Crossposting from Gear Trades. I've got the following modules for sale:

Selling some EURORACK MODULAR nerd gear. Make robot farts today!

Abstract Data ADE-20 Multimode Filter - $270 shipped
Bubblesounds VCA4p VCA/Mixer - $200 shipped
Make Noise modDemix - $110 shipped
ALM Pamela's Workout - $250 shipped
SSF/WMD Spectrum Oscillator - $240 shipped
SSF/WMD Pole-Zero Filter - $150 shipped
Intellijel Corgasmatron 1 - $310 shipped
SnazzyFX Ardcore original - $290 shipped

I've also got 2 flying busboard cables, one is male socketed and the other is female (with slightly fewer sockets)

Also some effects:

Yamaha SPX990 Rack FX unit - $280 shipped
Synthrotek Tube Screamer Pedal - $65 shipped

ALSO! Some speakers, local pickup in the tri-state area (PA, NY, NJ) preferred but we can talk shipping costs if you really want these

Event 20/20p Studio Monitors - $300 for the pair

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

So how much more money do you have to invest in it before it would have been better to just get an Octatrack?

I may not be able to get the wave table stuff working, but it still supports the midi tuning standard and I'm reasonably certain the octotrack doesn't. So...uh...they're not really comparable.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sliderule posted:

If you were able to modify a sequencer's state data programatically, what would be a useful application?

It took an evening of drugs to realize an obvious answer to this: arpeggiation and chording.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
modular chat: so i have a tiptop Z8000 as the sequencer for my modular and i think i kind of hate it, but that probably just means i don't understand how to use it correctly.

the fact that there are 10 different sequencer seems difficult to take advantage of if i want to use the output for notes. i only have one quantizer, so if i want to run more than one simultaneously i have to tune all but one by hand. what am i missing? am i just failing to embrace analog?

this is my setup:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mr. Glass posted:

modular chat: so i have a tiptop Z8000 as the sequencer for my modular and i think i kind of hate it, but that probably just means i don't understand how to use it correctly.

the fact that there are 10 different sequencer seems difficult to take advantage of if i want to use the output for notes. i only have one quantizer, so if i want to run more than one simultaneously i have to tune all but one by hand. what am i missing? am i just failing to embrace analog?

this is my setup:

Well, with only one quantizer (I'm assuming you're using the Disting for that), you're only going to be able to quantize one voltage. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. You have the Pitts MIDI-3 midi->converter. Set that to DUO mode and you would get a second quantized melody. Use the second channel gate out from the MIDI-3 to create a clock that syncs with the channel 1 timing, or just use the external midi clock output. Use one of those to drive the uStep which in turn would clock the Z8000 (or you can skip the uStep and just use the gate out directly, but with the uStep you have control over the pattern from the modular).

The power of the Z8000 is that it's not just 8 or 16 voltages in a linear sequence like a more traditional analog sequencers. Mult your clock outs to the reset and direction inputs to create interesting semi-random note sequences. Use the second half of the ustep to do the same. To really open the Z8000 to its fullest potential, you'll want logic modules or additional clock dividers/multipliers. Alternatively, you could trade the Z8000 for something like a Rene which you can easily set up to do more "normal" sequencing. It also has a built in quantizer and clock logic features so you don't need to immediately invest in other clock/logic sources.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Well, with only one quantizer (I'm assuming you're using the Disting for that), you're only going to be able to quantize one voltage. That's just the way the cookie crumbles. You have the Pitts MIDI-3 midi->converter. Set that to DUO mode and you would get a second quantized melody. Use the second channel gate out from the MIDI-3 to create a clock that syncs with the channel 1 timing, or just use the external midi clock output. Use one of those to drive the uStep which in turn would clock the Z8000 (or you can skip the uStep and just use the gate out directly, but with the uStep you have control over the pattern from the modular).

The power of the Z8000 is that it's not just 8 or 16 voltages in a linear sequence like a more traditional analog sequencers. Mult your clock outs to the reset and direction inputs to create interesting semi-random note sequences. Use the second half of the ustep to do the same. To really open the Z8000 to its fullest potential, you'll want logic modules or additional clock dividers/multipliers. Alternatively, you could trade the Z8000 for something like a Rene which you can easily set up to do more "normal" sequencing. It also has a built in quantizer and clock logic features so you don't need to immediately invest in other clock/logic sources.

ahhh how did i miss the fact that the Rene had a quantized out! should have done my research :)

breaks
May 12, 2001

Keep in mind that Rene also has fewer outputs so you're still at least in a nearby boat as far as the number of quantized cvs you're getting.

I would take a metropolis over either of them personally.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

breaks posted:

Keep in mind that Rene also has fewer outputs so you're still at least in a nearby boat as far as the number of quantized cvs you're getting.

downside with both the rene and the metropolis is that i need to eliminate 6hp from my setup to fit them in. right now i only have 6Ux84HP :(

e: just glanced through the metropolis manual. why the gently caress didn't i get one of these to begin with

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 24, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Can't you just get an outbound sequencer and use that to trigger the Z8000 like the beatstep or sq-1?

If not from the limited amount I've looking into modular I think the Moskwa looks kind of cool, or there is the pressure points + brains combo which would free up some room.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

I'm not sure I understand your point here. The Metropolis still only has one pitch out. The Rene has a quantized and an unquantized out. You can lock the quantized values, use the location pots to change the cv value for the unquantized out, run the unquantized out to an external quantizer, and get two melody lines.

I made these demos when I first got the Rene. Anytime you hear two melody lines playing at the same time, it's from the Rene QCV and UqCV (into a Doepfer A-156) out. There are no overdubs.
https://soundcloud.com/oldstench/reneday

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So, that was three and a half weeks of feeling like tremendous poo poo but I made some progress on making music. :v:

Also whoever it was who was saying the TB-3 is poo poo was right has finally won me over because I really, really need to adjust that envelope knob to not have it sound like loving rear end.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the metropolis had more quantized outs, just that I personally prefer it. The Rene can do some cool tricks for sure though, I have one (but plan to sell it.) For melodies I think the Rene is better if you like devices that you can set up to kind of generate their own material, and Metropolis is better at being kind of sequencer clay that the user can push around.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that the metropolis had more quantized outs, just that I personally prefer it. The Rene can do some cool tricks for sure though, I have one (but plan to sell it.) For melodies I think the Rene is better if you like devices that you can set up to kind of generate their own material, and Metropolis is better at being kind of sequencer clay that the user can push around.

I like the Rene for that reason, but you can also easily set it up to be a more traditional sequencer. That being said, the Metropolis is rad as hell, and I want to get one someday. I just need to stop buying other things...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

DID SOMEONE SAY METROPOLIS??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO7mzE8stwg

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

oh hey! i think it was seeing your setup that inspired me to build mine into an old briefcase:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

oh hey! i think it was seeing your setup that inspired me to build mine into an old briefcase:

:crafty: nice

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've never been around a full modular but wouldn't you have to worry about heat and airflow with it in such a tight space?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

net work error posted:

I've never been around a full modular but wouldn't you have to worry about heat and airflow with it in such a tight space?

i'm not really sure, but here is my rationalization for "no":

1) most commercial eurorack cases are fully enclosed. for example, this doepfer case:

it even has an AC power converter in there, which surely generates some heat.

even commercially available 'skiff' cases, which are closer in depth to my rig, are fully enclosed:

2) i left gaps around the edges (not completely visible)
3) i'm using a 4ms row power supply, which runs off of a laptop power supply; i.e., the AC/DC conversion is done with a power brick outside of the briefcase

anecdotally, the only thing that gets remotely warm to the touch is the row power module.

e: \/\/\/\/ glad to know i'm not about to burn out all of my modules :unsmith:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

No. The transformer on the power supply can get a bit warm, but not the modules. It looks like he's using a switching power supply, so he's got a brick or wall-wart out of the picture. Most of the heat would be generated there. If you have a linear psu mounted inside the case (like Doepfer and Monorocket do), they'll be attached to the back either using the case as a large heatsink, or with a heatsink attached.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
also not visible in the picture is the panel-mount usb port (power only) that i put on the side of the briefcase so i could power the qunexus without yet another wall wart.

the row power provides 5v so wiring it up was a piece o cake

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
photo of said usb port:

i also just learned that the braids has a built-in quantizer, so the z8000 isn't quite as hopeless as it had seemed previously.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

photo of said usb port:

i also just learned that the braids has a built-in quantizer, so the z8000 isn't quite as hopeless as it had seemed previously.

Oh that is clever as heck.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3B0AOK/ if you want to add one to your rig.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3B0AOK/ if you want to add one to your rig.

I'm afraid such a thing would compromise my cases (alleged) waterproof capabilities.

I live in Seattle, so this is important to me.

Mr. Sharps fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2015

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Just gitcloned the Shruthi firmware for some oscillator fun :getin:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Sharps posted:

I'm afraid such a thing would compromise my cases (alleged) waterproof capabilities.

I live in Seattle, so this is important to me.

Rubber gasket on the outside threads, copious amounts of Goop (Don't Leave Home Without it!tm) on the inside surround and contact block. Goop is magical, I've used it with success on everything from boat hulls to heatguns.
Breathe deep, the gathering goop. Watch lights blink with bleeps and bloops. Gearslutty people look back with lament, another week's useless wages spent. (use only in a well ventilated area)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the usb port i linked is also apparently waterproof, so as long as you have a good seal around it the port itself won't leak into your case :v:

all this is moot anyway tho because you have a 1U rail so you can just get one of these

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

you have a 1U rail so you can just get one of these

Oh shiiiiiiiiit! Now to source a used iPad and I'm SET.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Finally had a chance to really sit down with the new Metropolis and Elements. I think they're gonna be good friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdTYjmf_4Q

Pardon the rough cut mixing for that - next step is to feed extended takes of all the parts into Live and make a proper track from it. Only thing about Elements with Metropolis is I couldn't get the Bow voice to really fire with the Metropolis, even with longer gate times. Otherwise they're both awesome to play with. Next time around I gotta experiment more with the low end of that thing. For now the rack is probably close to full; only things I might look for are some utility modules, maybe a noise source.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
wow Elements looks (and sounds) really cool. my favorite mode on Braids so far is PLUK so it sounds like Elements might be right up my alley.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

Finally had a chance to really sit down with the new Metropolis and Elements. I think they're gonna be good friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdTYjmf_4Q

Oh lord, is that an Otamatone?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Everyone should own one of these. Doubly so if you have pets or an easily annoyed significant other.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Your Computer posted:

Even better: it's an Otamatone deluxe, so it has a line out and is even louder! It's actually my third Otamatone; the first one was busted (the high/mid/low octaves were too short so it was nearly impossible to play even a simple melody line on it), the second one was fun for "musical" projects but I wanted the line out for future bad ideas with effects pedals and future experiments with the modular.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

Even better: it's an Otamatone deluxe, so it has a line out and is even louder! It's actually my third Otamatone; the first one was busted (the high/mid/low octaves were too short so it was nearly impossible to play even a simple melody line on it), the second one was fun for "musical" projects but I wanted the line out for future bad ideas with effects pedals and future experiments with the modular.

"Auld Lang Syne - Otamatone choral version" is a string of words I never thought I'd read, but now my life is complete. Thank you.

e: I'm crying

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
holy hell i love my braids

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

holy hell i love my braids

post some of your patch ideas! I'm having a hard time getting anything good out of mine except in PLUK mode

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trying to dl my upgrade to Omnisphere 2 and of course the whole site it down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

Trying to dl my upgrade to Omnisphere 2 and of course the whole site it down...

How is that compared to Alchemy?