Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Could someone remind me why the launcher is good or whatever? Starting with the exe is faster for me, even for switching characters. I don't buy aurum or use the nex store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Of course their solution will be to disable launching the game from the EXE and make people use the loving launcher.

I think the only reason they haven't already is that it's difficult.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Dalael posted:

I've never ganked anyone yet (I know.. I know... Something I should be remedying one day). Does your bumper also shoot or is it just the ganker that goes pew pew? If its just the ganker, what type of ship/fit are you using and what kind of targets are you able to kill with just one character? I'm not sure why, but I've been considering more and more coming back to EVE and I feel like extracting some tears. I also would like to be able to afford my pvp without having to rat ever again (or almost never). I'm thinking I might be able to achieve this goal with ganking.

Is it a reasonable expectation?

E: I know exactly 2 things about ganking:

1- Do not go to Jita during Burn Jita event.
2- Avoid Uedama if possible.

Also, unrelated to ganking, but a wise choice nonetheless: Don't try to 1v1 namamai in pvp.

High sec ganking is by far one of the greatest things to do in EVE.

Why?

The level of TEARS you can inflict is absolutely insane. People really get angry about their internet spaceships.

The tears really make you feel warm and fuzzy inside

vvv you can make decent money if you bump freighters and ransom them

vermeul fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 24, 2015

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

PathAsc posted:

Could someone remind me why the launcher is good or whatever? Starting with the exe is faster for me, even for switching characters. I don't buy aurum or use the nex store.

It's good because .... Updating? Integrated video? Maybe the shared cache we have now. TBH I am not sure but I recall them adding a switch character in game now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a ship you guys would recommend for lowsec solo ganking? I've considered doing it for a while since someone talked about lowsec piracy, and how many pubbie freighters there are roaming about.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Danaru posted:

Is there a ship you guys would recommend for lowsec solo ganking? I've considered doing it for a while since someone talked about lowsec piracy, and how many pubbie freighters there are roaming about.

Why not just bump and fight? If you warp off after getting aggression timer and warp back the sentries ignore you.

Best best practice is a cloaky t3 cruiser for when they have a scout.

E: loving auto correct...

darthzeta88 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 24, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

darthzeta88 posted:

Why not just bump and fight? If you warp off after getting aggression timer and warp back the sentries ignore you.

Best best practice is a cloaky t3 cruiser for when they have a scout.

E: loving auto correct...

I never thought about bumping, honestly I was checking out this page, but since it says it's out of date, I figured I'd ask :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

darthzeta88 posted:

TBH I am not sure but I recall them adding a switch character in game now.

They haven't and they've said it would be shockingly difficult to do as so much of the code simply assumes it's not possible.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

evilweasel posted:

They haven't and they've said it would be shockingly difficult to do as so much of the code simply assumes it's not possible.

I am fairly surprised with their level of coding down syndrome.

I wish this was a feature though in current state its annoying as hell

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

darthzeta88 posted:

It's good because .... Updating? Integrated video? Maybe the shared cache we have now. TBH I am not sure but I recall them adding a switch character in game now.

What exactly do you mean by integrated video for the launcher, because I'm at a loss as to what that could mean this late in the day.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

PathAsc posted:

What exactly do you mean by integrated video for the launcher, because I'm at a loss as to what that could mean this late in the day.

There's a video in the top right corner of the launcher.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The Scope video reports that have been posted lately.

I use the launcher mostly because I don't see a way to change to DirectX 9 in-game, and I need it for the Mumble overlay to work on my computer.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

There's a video in the top right corner of the launcher.

Thanks, I was hoping he meant something useful, but nevermind. Launcher only good for when updates hit.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Triggering concord gets no insurance payout, but does that apply once concord is triggered or only when concord is the last hit?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

DARPA posted:

Triggering concord gets no insurance payout, but does that apply once concord is triggered or only when concord is the last hit?

As long as you have GCC, the global criminal countdown, you don't receive insurance in highsec, i think.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Dalael posted:

Also, unrelated to ganking, but a wise choice nonetheless: Don't try to 1v1 namamai in pvp.
Namamai is really good but he does die a lot. You're probably going to lose, but if you really want to do the 1v1 lowsec stuff, you'll learn way more by losing to him than wrecking some random FW retard who has no idea how to fit a ship.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Wolfy posted:

Namamai is really good but he does die a lot. You're probably going to lose, but if you really want to do the 1v1 lowsec stuff, you'll learn way more by losing to him than wrecking some random FW retard who has no idea how to fit a ship.

Yep -- do not emulate my killboard. :P The honest truth is, I've been playing the game for 11 years, and murdering pubs in good ships is kinda boring. I like flying ships that surprise people, doing matchups that you'd never expect to win, and that involves me dying a lot in crackhead fits.

The honest truth is, piracy doesn't pay, and you won't be able to do it anyways until you're good at solo (or small gang) PvP. So start by getting good at that. My suggestion is to go to Jita, buy 10-15 copies of some cheap frigate, and go welp them. Practice makes perfect.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

DARPA posted:

It's based on you triggering concord, so if you have a GCC, no insurance.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Request that I hope someone can help me with here...

Around 6-10 years ago, before Eve was popular around these parts, a goon came on the forums and told an epic, multi-page story of betrayal in the game which I believe is what sparked interest here in the first place. Because I don't remember any details beyond this besides the fact that it was an insanely popular thead, I haven't been able to find it.

Would anyone have any other details they can share such as a link to it archived?

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 24, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ullerrm posted:

The honest truth is, piracy doesn't pay, and you won't be able to do it anyways until you're good at solo (or small gang) PvP. So start by getting good at that. My suggestion is to go to Jita, buy 10-15 copies of some cheap frigate, and go welp them. Practice makes perfect.

I've got a frigate blueprint and a mining barge, so I've considered just mass producing a bunch of frigates and getting them all blown up. :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bilirubin posted:

Well at least we Steam users will be even more secure.

In before it interferes with Steam authorization.
Actually they just added a method for steam users to general a standard eve username. The eve account is still tied to your steam account so when you launch through steam it starts the launcher and logs you in automatically. But you also have a normal login so you can use exefile when the launcher is busted or steam is down.

Steam is no longer the bad choice! In fact it's kinda the best of both worlds, if there are steam sales on eve plex or subs.

Daler Mehndi posted:

I use the launcher mostly because I don't see a way to change to DirectX 9 in-game, and I need it for the Mumble overlay to work on my computer.
There are command line switches to set dx version when starting exefile directly.
/triplatform=dx9 -or- /triplatform=dx11

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Klyith posted:

Actually they just added a method for steam users to general a standard eve username. The eve account is still tied to your steam account so when you launch through steam it starts the launcher and logs you in automatically. But you also have a normal login so you can use exefile when the launcher is busted or steam is down.

Steam is no longer the bad choice! In fact it's kinda the best of both worlds, if there are steam sales on eve plex or subs.

:frogon:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Klyith posted:

There are command line switches to set dx version when starting exefile directly.
/triplatform=dx9 -or- /triplatform=dx11
Thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Saw it here http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/339jb1/psa_for_steam_users/

TLDR log in to secure.eveonline.com with your steam, there's a new option under "account" to create an eve username & password.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Klyith posted:

Saw it here http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/339jb1/psa_for_steam_users/

TLDR log in to secure.eveonline.com with your steam, there's a new option under "account" to create an eve username & password.

holy poo poo there it is

e. :pcgaming:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 24, 2015

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

I've never ganked anyone yet (I know.. I know... Something I should be remedying one day). Does your bumper also shoot or is it just the ganker that goes pew pew? If its just the ganker, what type of ship/fit are you using and what kind of targets are you able to kill with just one character? I'm not sure why, but I've been considering more and more coming back to EVE and I feel like extracting some tears. I also would like to be able to afford my pvp without having to rat ever again (or almost never). I'm thinking I might be able to achieve this goal with ganking.

Is it a reasonable expectation?

It all depends on how you gank.

Miner Ganking

This is the most basic, bread and butter, ganking. It is also the easiest to solo.

To start, assuming you have not-bad sec status, you can do this genuine solo, with just one catalyst. Your cat fit will be all blasters (light neutron for slightly more dps, light ion for easier fitting, T1/meta/T2 as budget and skills allow), a point and either eccm (primarily in organized ops likely to encounter anti-ganker faggots) or a sebo (get pods in .7) in the mids, and as many mag stabs in the lows as you can fit. Small hybrid collision accelerator and burst aerator rigs also boost dps nicely, but make fitting tight. You can also go for two s rams if you're hunting ventures, as they have native +2 warp strength.

Now that you have your ship, you need a target. You're looking for covetors, hulks, retrievers, and mackinaws, in increasing order of difficulty. If you are in a T2 cat solo, ignore macks for now. Normally you employ a scout with a passive targeter and ship scanner to id targets. Anything other than a covetor can fit a tank that will stop a solo ganker. At the start, look for straight anti-tanked miners: mining upgrades in the lows, no extenders in the mids. If you din't have a scout you can gimp it by swapping out two ships, or go blind, but you will fail some ganks going blind.

Once you have a target, you need to get your cat within about 3k of it. Since you don't yet have the distinction of exalted -10 status, you can slowboat to you target and hope they don't warp off. Warp to zero in the belt or ore anom, approach, lock, cricate scram and guns when in range, enjoy. While getting a legit warpin is necessary once fac po becomes a problem, slowboating is fun. When I first started that's all I did. Landing at 0 in the Otela ice field and closing 20k while local starts squawking, watching your soviet-esque green wing is like being a shark. Watch out for killrights though, people will activate them and drone you in crowded ice belts, asteroid belts are easier. Before you get any KRs, just fly around pissing people off. Sit right a zero, or just lock people up. You will scare and annoy them.

More smarter tactics:

Use a scout to get a warpin at optimal range. This is mandatory once you become an outlaw, because faction police will get you before you slow boat into range. Use a procurer to blend in, and snuggle right up to the target, or a scanning frigate wirh a combat probe launcher. I prefer the latter, bcause all they see is a frigate for about 20 seconds, then cats are on top of them. This two account system is the basic "solo" ganking.

Pre-pull concord and clean up concord after you gank. Undock in a rookie ship u der GCC or, shoot a customs office when not under GCC. When concord is pre-spawned it takes longer to show up, assuming it isn't in tris when you gank. It is polite to clean up concord after ganking, because mibers will choose belts with concord in it. It's loving annoying to find a hulk with a doncord spawn on it.

Add an account. Two cats can either cut costs (two T1/meta cats cost around 4M, one T2 8-10M while doing same or better dps, or double dps with two T2. Same as above, now youre just controlling two cats at once.

Join miniluv and go whale hunting. All of the above, now with more orcas!

Pod ganking

Much the same as above, but now you're using a thrasher. Catch autopiloting pods. Fit 250/280mm artillery and sebos, approach straight to cut transversal, and alpha pods. You can either sit a scout at zero on a gate, and undock and warp to zero when a pod lands (jita gate in perimeter is perfect), or just warp vetween gates at zero, shooting when you find a slowboating pod. I prefer the former, because antigankers can catch you if you're flying around. Less challenging than miner ganking, but you get way hilarious pod kills.

vexor indy ganking

This is where you make dollar. Requires three accounts:

-scanner: frigate with scanner and passive targeter
-scooper: ideally DST but can do T1 when no opposition
-ganker: vexor with 250mm rails, gardes, and as much tank as you can get

You camp a pipe, with scanner one jump up identifying targets, hauler cloaked at a perch above the gank gate, and ganker either logged off at zero on the gate or aligned on an offgrid perch. For instance, to camp the Anttiri gate in Juunigaishi (a good place to camp), you park the scanner on the Sirppala gate in Anttiri, your scooper ~200k off the Anttiri gate in Juuni (so he can warp to the wreck), and your vexor at 0 on the Anttiri gate in Juuni, so he's at perfect range when the hauler enters system.

You watch the pipe with your scanner, looking for ~>100M cargo and light tank. Lots of expanders = good, extenders / invulns / DCUs = bad. When you see a good target, uncloak your scooper and alivn to gate, log in your ganker, overheat and launch drones. When target appears, lock scram engage drones, fire. Dead indy. Warp off your pod, warp scooper to wreck, loot, leave.

Once you figure out what you can kill, the hardest part is scooping. People will gently caress with you, but DSTs give you lots of tools to escape, between overheated AB back to gate, stabs, mmjd to loving clown idiots who don't have scrams, and a big tank.

Can be slow, but a 1B isk hauler is worth it.

dollar

I dy ganking is the only truly profitable solo ganking (bumping / 'hyperdunking' etc are a bit more advanced, but also more lucrative; I've mastered neither so won't address them), but it's all affordable. If you scoop loot miner ganking you can come close to breaking even at 4-16M a pop, otherwise that's good cheap fun. If you join miniluv you can get free thrashers and shoot pubbies all day, though you won't make money. If you go on ops, ships are provided, and loot is saved for globby to eventually ateal.

All of which is to say, buy a cat, shoot a miner, and go nuts from there. Check miniluv page on wiki. Join miniluv. Anybody can get got, and if they have a rich fit pr cargo, there's probably a profitable wat to get them. And if they don't, gently caress them, they're even funnier to kill.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
You know, I never really appreciated a travel-fit 2 second align interceptor until I ran mine through ~50 MoA dudes gatecamping just now. It was actually kind of nerve-racking to arrive on a gate with a with a whole bunch of red squares on it, and then jump through into even more red squares.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

ullerrm posted:

PGL changes their staging system more often than he changes his boxers; they've been retreating so fast that they've been leaving SCSAAs in build behind, for PL to coathangar uncontested.

Flanders using "coathanger" as a verb ..."Hey diddly doodly! Let's coathanger another!"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

TreFitty posted:

Around 6-10 years ago, before Eve was popular around these parts, a goon came on the forums and told an epic, multi-page story of betrayal in the game which I believe is what sparked interest here in the first place. Because I don't remember any details beyond this besides the fact that it was an insanely popular thead, I haven't been able to find it.

Would anyone have any other details they can share such as a link to it archived?

Guiding hand social club?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

TreFitty posted:

Are you thinking of this one? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1118444

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There was two stories running about back then. The one Guiding Hand wrote and the other about some Goon who made a scam about all these pubbies investing in him with real life phone calls and poo poo.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Thank you! Nightfreeze is that one I was thinking of, going to look up the other

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Yep -- do not emulate my killboard. :P The honest truth is, I've been playing the game for 11 years, and murdering pubs in good ships is kinda boring. I like flying ships that surprise people, doing matchups that you'd never expect to win, and that involves me dying a lot in crackhead fits.

piracy pays if you use a falcon alt and have enough scout alts

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

No no, I heard their leadership was great and that it was the games fault for not accommodating how they play. Also that the "bittervets" (read: anyone whose not in BNI) fault that they're being held back, because of unfair mechanics and tactics.

To be fair, every alliance has people that believe their own propaganda. what makes BRAVE unique is that it's the entire alliance.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kiryen posted:

To be fair, every alliance has people that believe their own propaganda. what makes BRAVE unique is that it's the entire alliance.

The Imperium is easier to stomach when contemplated as a giant, overly elaborate honeypot.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maneck posted:

The Imperium is easier to stomach when contemplated as a giant, overly elaborate honeypot.

I still haven't given up hope.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Maneck posted:

That, plus the 55 year old guy in the.. whatever you call that thing over his shoulders just makes it all worthwhile.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wolfy posted:

There is no place on the Interwebs for logical arguments like these :P

Actually, funny story (not really but, i like the expression) the last few times I logged on, I decided to go into low sec and try some frigate/destroyer pvp. I was actually proud to kill a few guys until I looked at the killmails. Most of these fuckings retards just go in and orbit with a completely unfit ship. Weren't low sec players complaining that Null players are risk averse, and that low sec pvp is the best?

Woa, thank you for that! I had never realised the complexity of high sec ganking.

Because you've put time and effort in answering my post, I've decided that on my first day off, I will log back in EVE and do my best to sacrifice someone else's mining barge in your name. If successful, I may sacrifice more than one. Succesful or not, I have a feeling it will be hilarious and much tears should be gathered. Possibly even mine, who knows? Either ways, your post got me interested in login in again to attempt to do something I never have.

Thanks!

Please accept this unironic link as a reward for your post. http://imgur.com/VdNZhEW

Kiryen posted:

That is why I love the CFC Imperium. It has no need for propaganda since it has THE truth on its side. :colbert:

Dalael fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2015

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Kiryen posted:

When most of your alliance is full of :shobon: starry-eyed new players it's easier to see how this can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

So pugnax = doink####?

Michael Fye posted:

You guys hear about Kadeshi guys linking kiddy porn in local disguised as KM's? I just got a corp mail about it.

report that poo poo if you see it, laugh as the creeps get banned for being creeps

Reverand maynard posted:

some guy in NC. linked a mouse being put into a blender then turning it on

:wtc:

I'd love to hear the story / see the video

darthzeta88 posted:

Dude I know I don't have to be in some super block to live in null sec. I been in null sec and the only super block I have been with was bloodhound, the American side of the Russians and that was short lived. I solo most of null sec as a monad but last couple years PvP is better in low sec for casual outsiders cause of the nulli/N3 "small gang roaming" fleets would be 50 taloses and I don't like engaging that alone. Low sec still has the gang typically being 15 and smaller. And actually willing to PvP.

Source your quotes

Daler Mehndi posted:

The Scope video reports that have been posted lately.

theres a program you can get that leaves a transparent layer on your screen as a target for overlays. I forget what it's called but ullerrm / Namamai mentioned it to me once.

vulvamancer posted:

When most of your alliance is full of :shobon: starry-eyed new players it's easier to see how this can happen.

Brave hasn't been :shobon: for over a year

• Locked thread