Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Yup, I stopped the game because doing any sidequests would necessitate a ton of grinding to get past those things.

But it's easy, first you grind Auron and get his superweapon, then you fight Fenris in the monster arena until everyone has 255 agility, then you fight One-Eye in the arena until you have 255 strength, and triple AP weapons, then you grind out Doors to Tomorrow until you have Triple Overdrive and grind out Candles until you have Overdrive-AP, then you capture 10 of everything in the Omega Ruins and fight Don Tonberry until everyone has a zillion HP(after fighting Ironclad for HP spheres), then you can beat Dark Braaaaaap or whatever. Easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

counterfeitpinecone posted:

Somebody on here once pointed out that you start the game being outfitted by Sarif with probably millions of dollars worth of experimental military-grade combat augmentations then spend the rest of it scavenging 10mm bullets from abandoned petrol stations and corpses, 4 rounds at a time

Because augment yourself all you want, you can never escape capitalism maaaaan

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Human Revolution is practically a retelling of Robocop and it had the exact same gag where they spend billions building Robo and then send him out patrolling in a lovely Ford Taurus that bottoms out when he drives out of the police station.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

im pooping! posted:

But it's easy, first you grind Auron and get his superweapon, then you fight Fenris in the monster arena until everyone has 255 agility, then you fight One-Eye in the arena until you have 255 strength, and triple AP weapons, then you grind out Doors to Tomorrow until you have Triple Overdrive and grind out Candles until you have Overdrive-AP, then you capture 10 of everything in the Omega Ruins and fight Don Tonberry until everyone has a zillion HP(after fighting Ironclad for HP spheres), then you can beat Dark Braaaaaap or whatever. Easy peasy.

Are there people that actually think that's fun? poo poo like that is why I miss gamesharks and action replays.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

Are there people that actually think that's fun? poo poo like that is why I miss gamesharks and action replays.

I thought it was fun when I was 17 and had homework to do...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

I don't wanna :colbert:

I'm deeply sorry that GTA Online is literally the first game ever to be frontloaded with poo poo you have to do as part of the tutorial.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Human Revolution is practically a retelling of Robocop and it had the exact same gag where they spend billions building Robo and then send him out patrolling in a lovely Ford Taurus that bottoms out when he drives out of the police station.

Jenson isn't literally robot-Jesus though. And Robby seems to have infinite ammo, anyway. It's just the babyfood he's jonesing for.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm deeply sorry that GTA Online is literally the first game ever to be frontloaded with poo poo you have to do as part of the tutorial.

Hahaha, what? I'm not picking on poor old GTA, I think it's generally ace, but that bit is pretty annoying.

Also, I expect the frontloading, it's being made to watch the unskippable cutscene three times that's the worst.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Apr 23, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

im pooping! posted:

Oh my god; I'm so glad I decided to just finish the game rather than fall down that rabbit hole.
one-shotting the last boss with Yojimbo by accident certainly did not drag the game down

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

It's been ages since I played just because of this bullshit. Iirc, though, if you can manage to kill off at least one of the sisters, they can't delta attack you and wreck your poo poo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Hahaha, what? I'm not picking on poor old GTA, I think it's generally ace, but that bit is pretty annoying.

Also, I expect the frontloading, it's being made to watch the unskippable cutscene three times that's the worst.

That sentiment, I can appreciate. It just seemed as though you were going to refuse to play GTAO in light of an unskippable cutscene, which struck me as silly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've only played FFX on the original release and managed to stumble around and get every summon but didn't bother with some of the weapons and mini games. Blitz was okay with Jecht Shot and lightning dodge was somehow fruiting and also zen.

The thing that brought the game down for me was Khimari. He's a huge cool blue cat man with such a poorly defined role, it's hilarious. His place on the board means he's supposed to be your blue mage but blue magic sucks a huge cock. Diverting him over to a different section helps but he's never as strong as Auron, fast as Tidus or the magical potency of Lulu. poo poo, even Wakka has a spot on some of my team makeups.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

The thing that brought the game down for me was Khimari. He's a huge cool blue cat man with such a poorly defined role, it's hilarious. His place on the board means he's supposed to be your blue mage but blue magic sucks a huge cock. Diverting him over to a different section helps but he's never as strong as Auron, fast as Tidus or the magical potency of Lulu. poo poo, even Wakka has a spot on some of my team makeups.

He's definitely a big wasted opportunity. You could definitely leave him out and no one would notice.

Len posted:

These dark aeons in FFX remaster can go gently caress themselves. I'll be exploring and BOOM suddenly I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by an optional boss that gets an ambush and hits for 99,999.

This killed me back in the PS2 days. Trying to go back to the first village to get the item from the Chamber of the Fayth Dark Valefor blew my face off. I love FFX to death, and used to play through FF games once then go back with a guide to get everything but the grind is utterly insane in that game. Putting what should be optional bosses as roadblocks to endgame exploration is just the lovely cherry on top of the poo poo sundae.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Len posted:

These dark aeons in FFX remaster can go gently caress themselves. I'll be exploring and BOOM suddenly I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by an optional boss that gets an ambush and hits for 99,999.

Are they really that easy to accidentally run into? I always liked the FF1-6 remake's new content, because it was all really clearly signposted and discernible bonus dungeons, you could avoid them easily if you wanted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thing dragging down every final Fantasy after 4

Remakes that don't also increase your damage cap to at least 99,999

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He's definitely a big wasted opportunity. You could definitely leave him out and no one would notice.

This killed me back in the PS2 days. Trying to go back to the first village to get the item from the Chamber of the Fayth Dark Valefor blew my face off. I love FFX to death, and used to play through FF games once then go back with a guide to get everything but the grind is utterly insane in that game. Putting what should be optional bosses as roadblocks to endgame exploration is just the lovely cherry on top of the poo poo sundae.

At least with all of them but Dark Yojimbo you could just summon Yojimbo and pay him to instakill them.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Len posted:

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

I have never played FFX. Is this a post making fun of the game, or is it serious?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I have never played FFX. Is this a post making fun of the game, or is it serious?

He ran into a -probably, I'm assuming- postgame boss that wiped his entire team but made him sit and watch a minute-long animation before the last one was given permission to die.

It's absolutely serious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Are they really that easy to accidentally run into? I always liked the FF1-6 remake's new content, because it was all really clearly signposted and discernible bonus dungeons, you could avoid them easily if you wanted.

Yeah, the absolutely are. They're only in the re-release/international versions but basically with absolutely no warning or game indication they'll spawn in areas you've already cleared that often guard treasure you'll want for the endgame/postgame that you might not have realized was even there your first time through. Basically. if you don't have a guide open and obsessively follow it things that were very simple back-tracks to get good gear and enjoyable sidequests in the original release become locked off to you by super-bosses unless you're either willing to do a shitload of grinding or like someone else mentioned abuse the ever living bejeesus out of the Yojimbo summon to instagib them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I remember correctly you can totally get to all those places again before the Dark Aeons show up, it's just you won't have the airship yet and it will require walking all the way back along the course of the entire game so far. Fairly designed! :v:

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

RareAcumen posted:

He ran into a -probably, I'm assuming- postgame boss that wiped his entire team but made him sit and watch a minute-long animation before the last one was given permission to die.

It's absolutely serious.

And when you get them as a summon yourself, they have the same animation. Once you are that overpowered, just basic attacks can kill most things quicker than their attack animation. Magus sisters are The Worst.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The ones I've run into went like this.

Re-entered Besaid. The second you enter Besaid it goes to a cutscene of a guy summoning Valefor and then combat happens. For me he got the first move and did an overdrive for 99,999.

Walking down mushroom rock there's two NPCs. Suddenly they start chasing you. A third then shows up for a different direction. If they touch you then you're fighting the magus sisters.

Yojimbo appears when you try to leave the Cavern of Stolen Fayth but at least for him you can just leave.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RareAcumen posted:

It's absolutely serious.

Not just postgame, they're like Ruby Weapon in FFVII in that its an optional hard boss fight.

I never cared for Magus Sisters so I always just skip the fight.

And if you think their animation goes on forever, there's always Knights of the Round :cheeky:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Not just postgame, they're like Ruby Weapon in FFVII in that its an optional hard boss fight.

And if you think their animation goes on forever, there's always Knights of the Round :cheeky:

I'm pretty sure the only way to beat the Ruby Weapon was cast Knights of the Round for over an hour straight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

m.hache posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way to beat the Ruby Weapon was cast Knights of the Round for over an hour straight.

I remember thinking KOTR was soooo cool when I first got it. Then I did the Sephiroth fight and used it for like an hour straight, and it sucked all the enjoyment right out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lookit all these little bitch-rear end Americans never grew up with Dark Aeons everywhere.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
All this talk of yojimbo made me look up Gilgamesh from FFVIII. Because I liked the way he looked and forgot how he was acquired what he did.

.. and I found out apparently he is a dimensional hopping something and is the same character throughout all the FF games and has a storyline and wow why did I ever think poo poo like this was cool.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

ZeusCannon posted:

All this talk of yojimbo made me look up Gilgamesh from FFVIII. Because I liked the way he looked and forgot how he was acquired what he did.

.. and I found out apparently he is a dimensional hopping something and is the same character throughout all the FF games and has a storyline and wow why did I ever think poo poo like this was cool.

In all fairness, Greg is a pretty awesome character in FFXIV.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

The pain in the rear end thing is that instead of creating new areas for them when they were added they stuck them in existing areas. So they're blocking off a bunch of much lower level content.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ZeusCannon posted:

Because it is?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ZeusCannon posted:

Sorry but Gilly is cool and good and you are a nerd if you don't love him

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta remember, grinding that poo poo in FFX was the "cool" thing to do back then. This is the age of Everquest and intentionally hard games because hard=fun.

So hells yes I got all the summons and some of the legendary weapons in that game.

And hells yes in hindsight it was boring and stupid grinding.

But we can all agree that Kimahri Ronso was dumb. I remember beating the game and there was a final cut scene showcasing each character doing some move and then he came up and I'm like "wait wtf is that?!" and had to go online and look it up to remember that he was still in my party lol.

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Apr 24, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to him by his full name of Kimahri Ronso.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"Oh an NPC I don't remember standing in the middle of the thunder plains? I'll go talk to him."

Dark Ixion out of nowhere. Two turns back to pack killing Auron and Tidus. Wakka gets to act. Thankfully running is a thing I can do.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

oldpainless posted:

Please refer to him by his full name of Kimahri Ronso.
Kimahri Small Ronso :colbert:

My favorite Dark Aeon experience? Going back to Yunalesca's boss chamber to get the crest for Tidus' ultimate weapon on my first playthrough and OUT OF loving NOWHERE IT'S DARK BAHAMUT :unsmigghh:

At least some of the Dark Aeons are in out of the way places and/or require you to talk to an NPC first, but having others just sitting there guarding important items is complete bullshit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jastiger posted:

intentionally hard games
God, what a horrible idea. I'm glad we've moved on from such awful concepts.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jastiger posted:

Gotta remember, grinding that poo poo in FFX was the "cool" thing to do back then. This is the age of Everquest and intentionally hard games because hard=fun.

So hells yes I got all the summons and some of the legendary weapons in that game.

I beat the original US version of FFX about as much as possible, filling up the sphere grid for most characters and killing Nemesis in the monster arena. By that point you can kill the final boss by half-heartedly whacking him with Yuna's staff to do a 99,999 damage overkill. The "some of the legendary weapons" part of your post stands out the most since even though I did just about everything else, gently caress dodging the lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains to get Lulu's ultimate weapon and gently caress catching those butterflies for Kimahri's. Spending hours running up and down a single patch of land to catch 10 of the same dumb bird is nothing compared to the frustration of either of those.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

Sorry but Gilly is cool and good and you are a nerd if you don't love him

Its less that the FF8 Gilgamesh wasn't cool (I still dig the weird prosthetic arms) it's more that you look at any video game thing and now there is always all this loving strange rear end over complicated back story. Why can't he just be a cool summon? Instead he has to be the brother of the mailman of FF1 who went on to be the main recurring villain in FF2 who fell in love with his twins doubles cousins favorite dog in FF6.

It's like the star wars prequels all over again where everyone knew everybody and there are like 10 actual characters in a cast that seems to number hundreds. I can't make this connection really make sense its just the first place my mind goes when you talk about needlessly shoehorning in repeating characters.

:goonsay:

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I beat the original US version of FFX about as much as possible, filling up the sphere grid for most characters and killing Nemesis in the monster arena. By that point you can kill the final boss by half-heartedly whacking him with Yuna's staff to do a 99,999 damage overkill. The "some of the legendary weapons" part of your post stands out the most since even though I did just about everything else, gently caress dodging the lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains to get Lulu's ultimate weapon and gently caress catching those butterflies for Kimahri's. Spending hours running up and down a single patch of land to catch 10 of the same dumb bird is nothing compared to the frustration of either of those.

Yeeeeup. I did Tidus', Rikku, Auron, and Yuna's if I remember right. Oh and I think eventually Wakka's. I never used Kimahri so lol at that, and yeah Lulu did enough damage without dodging a billion lightning strikes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

God, what a horrible idea. I'm glad we've moved on from such awful concepts.

You know what I freakin' mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I took one look at the requirements to get Lulu's ultimate weapon and went "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that" and got my rear end to Sin right away.