Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Dang look at the size of that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I am buying this thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yessss Modern Day Genesis Era Phantasy Star.

This is the only worthy game so far that they have this year.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saoshyant posted:

Watching this, it just feels like what a modern Phantasy Star would be like.

I had zero interest in this game until you said this. God dammit.

Is the one that came out for new 3DS recently the same kind of game?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
They definitely said "Localization is still occurring, so none of these terms are guaranteed to stay the same." Which makes me think we're a ways off from a US release.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I had zero interest in this game until you said this. God dammit.

Is the one that came out for new 3DS recently the same kind of game?

Yeah, it's basically its indirect prequel. Xenoblade X is basically Xenoblade but expanding it even more in all gameplay areas and also giant robots.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We actually have goons who do translations. I assume everyone else here is a localization expert.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Smoremaster posted:

How is the Metroid Prime trilogy? I only ever played the first one on Gamecube. I was disappointed when I saw there's no Pro controller support. Is the wiimote and nunchuk setup decent?

In addition to what others have said, be aware that Normal difficulty is actually Babby Mode. It didn't exist in the GC original. You want to be playing on Veteran.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fremry posted:

They definitely said "Localization is still occurring, so none of these terms are guaranteed to stay the same." Which makes me think we're a ways off from a US release.
Definitely looks like a Holiday release now.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Definitely looks like a Holiday release now.

Yeah, which is a shame because it looks really good and I don't want to wait, but probably for the best since Zelda got pushed out to next year.

Edit:

It ended and they said "It will be coming out exclusively for the Wii U later this year." So no date was given today.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 24, 2015

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nintendo backs off of bringing Super Nintendo games to Wii U from Engadget.

Whether this is true or false, I've always wondered why they don't just release EVERYTHING from the SNES/NES. Is the VC stuff on Wii U basically an emulator wrapper? Why can't Nintendo just afford to pay a team of 5 people to QA test through games at a rate of a few a week, and just release everything? The ROI on rereleasing games on VC must be insane, hire me Nintendo!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

watching the xenoblade thing. it looks so goddamn good

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Whether this is true or false, I've always wondered why they don't just release EVERYTHING from the SNES/NES. Is the VC stuff on Wii U basically an emulator wrapper? Why can't Nintendo just afford to pay a team of 5 people to QA test through games at a rate of a few a week, and just release everything? The ROI on rereleasing games on VC must be insane, hire me Nintendo!

They've said before that it makes little financial sense to do that because people buy the couple games they want and then stop buying. Giving a new release each week keeps people interested and they buy more.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

I don't have an answer, but it isn't like Nintendo has not considered this before for both the Wii U and Wii. Whatever the answer is, it almost certainly boils down to the fact that making this happen isn't anywhere near as simple and cheap as what it seems. Otherwise, they would have done it already.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Tatsuta Age posted:

They should dump the roms right onto the disc like they did with Super Mario Allstars. But give entire collections of old games instead o just one.

But the real reason is probably going to be they're giving all the old 2D games to the mobile developer.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Fremry posted:

They've said before that it makes little financial sense to do that because people buy the couple games they want and then stop buying. Giving a new release each week keeps people interested and they buy more.

I've always liked the idea of a yearly subscription service for all of the games, though I guess that could have its own problems.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo absolutely sucks at monetizing it's back catalog of actual games. I mean at this point loving Midway has re-released more individual old games than Nintendo.

Midway has around 100 old titles it's put out. Midway is also dead and owned by Warner Brothers, Nintendo has to compete with a corpse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pooch516 posted:

I've always liked the idea of a yearly subscription service for all of the games, though I guess that could have its own problems.

Well, now you can use your amiibos to play them in short bursts! It's sort of the same thing with a Nintendo-spin. Sort of. Maybe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Awesome! posted:

watching the xenoblade thing. it looks so goddamn good

yeah this is looking real loving strong. comes out in JP next week so i guess we'll get to see if it's any good soon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fremry posted:

It's amazing how I love downloading those old games from Club Nintendo for free. It makes me happy even though I never play them.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

pooch516 posted:

That's what I'm saying! Charge $10 a month for unlimited emulation for SNES/NES/GBA. Charge $15 to make it work on the 3DS as well. I feel like that would make more money than people piecemealing games together as Nintendo feels like releasing them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Those character model eyes don't look as ridiculous as I remembered them being.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't wait for Lucas to unlock mother 3

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think this is sign that Nintendo realizes that old games suck and nobody really wants to play them and would really only prefer to played hacked up bits of them because the overall game is not fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh the requirements to unlock 200cc aren't as bad as I thought. I thought by good cups you meant I had to three star all of 150cc. I was pleasantly surprised to see I already had unlocked them just by coming in first.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tatsuta Age posted:

That article's title is click bait garbage. Unless Nintendo says outright they aren't going to bring anymore SNES games out, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

If there was ever a game I want on on the US VC, other then Ganbare Goemon 2, is Pocky and Rocky. I would gladly pay $8+tax than pay $100 for a real cart, or $200 for the sequel.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yaaaaaay I did it I did it! I beat Metroid Prime 3! :woop:

Great games, all three of them! Hard to say which one was my favorite. I really really liked pretty much everything about 2, but I liked the overall structure of 3 more. Except the final boss. gently caress the final boss. Actually gently caress all the final bosses. They are all terrible.

So... I'll be starting on Super Metroid next! Can't wait.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only real problem with 3 is that it doesn't have the same lonely atmosphere as the first two and seems a lot less 'inspired' though I guess that's only natural for the third game in a series.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yessss Modern Day Genesis Era Phantasy Star.

This is the only worthy game so far that they have this year.

drat you.
I was perfectly content to not play a this series at all, but if it's anything like Phantasy star, then I'm probably going out tonight to get the 3DS version and preorder the new one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fly with me posted:

drat you.
I was perfectly content to not play a this series at all, but if it's anything like Phantasy star, then I'm probably going out tonight to get the 3DS version and preorder the new one.

Yeah if you like Phantasy Star even just a little bit, you're gonna like Xenoblade. Even the settings are similar to the old games and look the same.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bought NSMBU after all the praise, and yeah it looks like it's full of great levels and all...

But WHAT THE gently caress? I can't play with my wife using my gamepad and a Wiimote? What the hell kind of stupid anti-feature is that? Now I need to get a pro controller (tm) because hey, gently caress you.

The controller thing with the WiiU is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in a console and only cements my thinking that the Wiimote is the worst thing that Nintendo has released. Thank god they are moving away from that but it's pretty lovely that I have to buy a third controller to play 2 player mode.... when the gamepad works alright when playing as a single player.

Wish I've known that and I would've just bought another game, but I never thought to google "Can I play two player mode with two controllers that work just fine for one player, or should I buy an extra one because this game decided one of my controllers is not good enough for co-op?", silly me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't see the direct. Did anything happen?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dolls are now called skells

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
i thought calling them dolls was pretty dumb but skells is even worse, jesus christ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Bought NSMBU after all the praise, and yeah it looks like it's full of great levels and all...

But WHAT THE gently caress? I can't play with my wife using my gamepad and a Wiimote? What the hell kind of stupid anti-feature is that? Now I need to get a pro controller (tm) because hey, gently caress you.

The controller thing with the WiiU is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in a console and only cements my thinking that the Wiimote is the worst thing that Nintendo has released. Thank god they are moving away from that but it's pretty lovely that I have to buy a third controller to play 2 player mode.... when the gamepad works alright when playing as a single player.

Wish I've known that and I would've just bought another game, but I never thought to google "Can I play two player mode with two controllers that work just fine for one player, or should I buy an extra one because this game decided one of my controllers is not good enough for co-op?", silly me.

The gamepad has its own special functionality in multiplayer; it's for an extra player to create platforms and whatnot to assist horrifically screw over their friends. The wikipedia page for the game explains this:

NSMBU Wiki page, Gameplay section posted:

In multiplayer, the player using the Wii U GamePad cannot control a character, but instead can interact with the environment, such as putting down blocks down or stunning enemies.

so a cursory bit of consumer research would have alleviated your inconvenience.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Dude don't try to justify this, it is really dumb they don't even give you an option to use the gamepad as a standard controller in NSMBU. Especially since other games like 3D World allow you to do that just fine.

That said,

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The controller thing with the WiiU is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in a console and only cements my thinking that the Wiimote is the worst thing that Nintendo has released.

So... you'd rather have Wiimotes not work on the WiiU, forcing you to buy two Pro Controllers instead?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The Wii U sucks!

We know.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Dude don't try to justify this

the jivjov guarantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Dude don't try to justify this, it is really dumb they don't even give you an option to use the gamepad as a standard controller in NSMBU. Especially since other games like 3D World allow you to do that just fine.

One of the big selling points of the Wii U is asymmetric gameplay. NSMBU offers that. Its less that "wtf why can't I use the Gamepad in multi" and more "Oh that's nice, I can use the Gamepad solo". The default controller for NSBU is a sideways Wiimote.

• Locked thread